• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Odyssey Ships 250k Copies

The PS Vita exclusive action rpg from Game Arts has shipped some 250k copies across Japan, Asia and North America.
This newest figure was shared this week by the game’s publisher ( in Japan & Europe ) GungHo President & CEO, Kazuki Morishita, during an interview with Cnet Japan. Morishita also expressed satisfaction with the attachment rate for the title but didn’t provide any details on its percentage.
http://thesilentchief.com/2013/02/08/ragnarok-odyssey-ships-250k-copies/

vocab

Could you say more? I've been on the fence about getting this game.

Well there's a demo, id suggest you try it out. To me it felt really shallow at a first glance, but that's not to say it's a bad game. It just isn't for me, and felt really average. I guess it lives up to the Ragnarok name.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

There's a demo out, try it?

I thought the demo's combat was pretty shallow even more shallow than PSO/PSU. Very pretty on the OLED though...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That number is a lot higher than I would have figured. Wonder how good the US sales were then.

Enjoyed this game a ton but for a repetitive grindy type of game it was really repetitive and grindy.

Well there's a demo, id suggest you try it out. To me it felt really shallow at a first glance, but that's not to say it's a bad game. It just isn't for me, and felt really average. I guess it lives up to the Ragnarok name.

Going by the demo, it was underwhelming indeed. Felt like a cheap ripoff of Monster Hunter. But then ofcourse how well does that demo represents what the game has to offer?

There's a demo out, try it?

I thought the demo's combat was pretty shallow even more shallow than PSO/PSU. Very pretty on the OLED though....

I didn't realize there was a demo. I'll have to try it out. Thanks for the feedback.

jwk94

Remeber those F2P Korean MMOs you used to play that had tons of grinding for apparantly no reason, but you always felt good whenever you leveled up? Well, Ragnarok Odyssey is like that, but without the leveling up. I played and played, with seemingly no goal. The story didn't seem there, there was no leveling system from what I could tell. All I did was go through dungeon after dungeon and get items. I finally stopped playing because I didn't feel like I was going anywhere.

As for that "three for every Vita owner" comment, I bought two copies of this game ;_;

Foxix Von

Really like the game but the online component is totally broken and the last chapter feels like a giant middle finger to anyone who's been playing the single player. I've spent this whole week trying to beat this thing and I just can't get past chapter 9 =/

Really solid game though, despite some problems. It's a LOT of fun too, really well deserved sales, it sold way more than I would have expected.

As for the grindy bit, I'm in the last stretch of the game and until now I've never had to really backtrack or grind for anything. I was basically right where I needed to be for everything up until this point. Most of the hard bits can be alleviated by learning boss patterns and bringing the right potions into battle. That being said though the last bit is freak crazy. They start stacking boss rushes along with having to tackle quests that are basically kill 100 of the hardest normal enemies in the game.

Morishita also expressed satisfaction with the attachment rate for the title but didn’t provide any details on its percentage.

Between RO and AC:L, software on the Vita does not need to sell millions or much to be profitable. That´s thanks to the easy development process of Vita software. Sony designed it to be very developer friendly.

vocab

Going by the demo, it was underwhelming indeed. Felt like a cheap ripoff of Monster Hunter. But then ofcourse how well does that demo represents what the game has to offer?

No idea. A lot of people say it's more of the same. I know rpg's don't demo well, but something about it felt off. I think the only redeeming factor is that you can co-op. However, Soul Sacrifice looks to be something up my alley, and has Co-op.

B.O.O.M

Had an absolute blast with this game. The fun was playing with friends (or randoms) online. So much fun!

Good to hear it did well :) Hope for a sequel

PS: Hrungir has to be one of the biggest bosses I have seen in gaming. Especially outside of titles like God of War. That thing was huge

Foxix Von

Had an absolute blast with this game. The fun was playing with friends (or randoms) online. So much fun!

Good to hear it did well :) Hope for a sequel

PS: Hrungir has to be one of the biggest bosses I have seen in gaming. Especially outside of titles like God of War. That thing was huge

If you can get the online to actually work that is LOL. Everything is super laggy or people start dropping out due to application errors.

I'm actually really impressed with the vita's attachment rate after seeing this news along with the Liberation news. Hopefully more developers get on board.

Game was very bad - or should I say, not for me.

- No story
- Repetition in everything (areas, combat, monsters, missions, etc.)
- No real gear, just some loot that changed your EQ in a cosmetic manner
- Boring music
- No real exploration

I wanted to like it. But I got to chapter 2 and stopped, then sold.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Remeber those F2P Korean MMOs you used to play that had tons of grinding for apparantly no reason, but you always felt good whenever you leveled up? Well, Ragnarok Odyssey is like that, but without the leveling up. I played and played, with seemingly no goal. The story didn't seem there, there was no leveling system from what I could tell. All I did was go through dungeon after dungeon and get items. I finally stopped playing because I didn't feel like I was going anywhere.

Basically this; the game felt like the empty shell of an ARPG/MMO/whatever. In place of leveling, stats are increased through item upgrades, however the upgrade curve is so slow, lacking in variety/customization, and reliant on extremely tedious grinding that there's no sense of accomplishment. It's an endless cycle of grind monsters to get materials to make your next weapon to grind more monsters to get more materials to etc etc. with nothing to break up the monotony.

Kyon

Banned
Omg congrats Gungho/XSeed!

67d90ee8.gif

B.O.O.M

If you can get the online to actually work that is LOL. Everything is super laggy or people start dropping out due to application errors.

I'm actually really impressed with the vita's attachment rate after seeing this news along with the Liberation news. Hopefully more developers get on board.

Outside of a few instances I really didn't have any issues with the MP. It's fun if you can play with some of your friends. Divide up the classes and go absolute nuts. Especially on the later bosses like Loki and Surt.

jwk94

Wait, people keep comparing this to SS; that's not good for me. Does SS at least have some sort of progression system?

Foxix Von

Outside of a few instances I really didn't have any issues with the MP. It's fun if you can play with some of your friends. Divide up the classes and go absolute nuts. Especially on the later bosses like Loki and Surt.

I honestly wish I had that experience. I swear I get into less than 1 in 10 rooms that I try and enter. The games that I do enter tend to be very laggy. It's fun but it's got problems. A bunch of the times I end up in a room if there's a conversation to be had much if it revolves around how hard it is to connect to anyone =/

Kysen

I clocked in over 100hrs online from UK to Japan. I'd say 80% was lag free. Was my first online multiplayer game on a handheld and it was incredible. The game gets too grindy near the end and boss hp totals become unmanageable solo. The last DLC went off the deep end in terms of difficulty.

Top Bottom