• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Overdoziz

Banned
A sensible approach, but I kind of find it funny that the most positive views about H4 are fom the people who have actually played it.
I don't expect someone who played a handful of matches in a friendly environment to give much critique. And I don't expect people from 343 to say anything negative about their game. :p

Blueblur1

Okay, good point, thanks.

I'm gonna think about this a little more (school literally starts the day after PAX ends), but I am definitely leaning more towards "yes go to PAX".

Note: I am also super willing to room share. I am a small guy, and a light packer, so i'm good with just a sleeping bag and my backpack of clothes.

jasfklja;sfklja;lsfj i wanna go so badly but a;jklsf;asjkfas money.

Edit: What website are y'all using to book flights? I'm just looking on Expedia.
I'm still thinking of going. You should go!

Korosenai

How does that compare when playing online against people a couple thousand miles away?

This

and

"Magnum also had bloom and was very similar to Halo Reach. It could be shot very fast, but the bloom would make it very inaccurate. It had 8 bullets in the clip and was a 6-shot kill."

*sigh*

I'm going to put out a possibility:

The Halo 4 DMR does not feature bloom. However, the reticule expands upon firing and resets fully in lockstep with the fixed firing rate, the same way the Reach sniper rifle 'bloom' works. In that sense it's not so much bloom as a visual signal for when the next shot can be fired.

That might explain why people felt bloom was in, but didn't notice it affecting their play.

I hope that's the case.

FyreWulff

I hope that's the case.

I assumed it was such. Visual fluff instead of an actual mechanic like the Sniper's bloom, since they already said there's no Reach-style bloom in the game before. It wouldn't make sense with the way they've changed the other guns to let the DMR fire faster again, because then there'd be no point to grabbing the BR.

Overdoziz

Banned
225px-Neutral_President.jpg

What's your 343 hater kill count up to?

I don't even know what that means...

My statement includes people like kyle and over though. Hate it or love it, people aren't judging it until they play it (all the cries for some MP footage is totally justified). The info drips are words on a page or still images. So far away from launch too.

as a person who liked getting out of maps, has anyone figured out if we still have those awful soft kill zones are back? or at least configurable in customs?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
What are you going to do when MLG doesn't have a playlist in 4?

You're already dead.

Fyrewulff will let you sleep on his floor Sai, just costs 20 bucks per hour.

Dominate the rest of you noobs of course. But yea, with each Halo I'm always open to the new stuff.

While I do see your point with Promethean Vision being a bit lengthy to say, an AA just called Vision would be pretty hilarious haha.
¨You may have a jetpack, but I have VISION¨ :p
Well there's already radar, and it's been described as a visual sonar, so how about VisuAl Ranging And Detecting, or VADAR?

Weird question for those who usually attend PAX West:

What hotel(s) do you guys usually stay at? I'm planning on going this year, but I want to look for a Hotel that is close to the event. It has to be pretty affordable to.

EDIT: Halo, Heck yeah! And so forth...

kylej

Banned

My statement includes people like kyle and over though. Hate it or love it, people aren't judging it until they play it (all the cries for some MP footage is totally justified). The info drips are words on a page or still images. So far away from launch too.

You can judge it without playing it. You could tell Spire was going to suck a million assholes the first time you saw a picture of that giant purple tower.

And for people crying about COD comparisons and how I'm beating a dead horse and running shit into the ground... every new piece of information we get makes the game sound more and more like COD. I mean, today we learned you press the d-pad to use killstreak rewards. In Halo. What the hell do people expect me to say?

Evidently I missed out on a lot of fun in the past few hours but I really think kylej is getting unfair complaints thrown at him.

He raises a fair point, one that I'd thought about previously and agreed with.

The impressions were positive last time around too. We even (mostly) enjoyed the beta and the final game at first. The problems weren't immediately evident to most.
Also being somewhat cynical and not giving 343I blanket benefit of the doubt (after Anniversary & Reach's playlists) is fair.

I'm either an asshole or a soothsayer depending on HaloGAFs mood lol. I've never seen more people quote my posts in support than when the first deluge of H4 MP stuff leaked out of Game Informer and everyone was pissed off. Now people are getting optimistic again so I'm a jerk who hates Halo. It's good stuff. I wish E Z B was around right now.

See: cheating

if it's considered cheating (which I don't consider it to be.) it should still have an option to be turned on/off in customs. i think the feeling of exploration really lacked in reach because if you stepped two feet outside of where you were supposed to go you had "RETURN TO THE BATTLEFIELD" as your screen turned red.

Trey

You can judge it without playing it. You could tell Spire was going to suck a million assholes the first time you saw a picture of that giant purple tower.

And for people crying about COD comparisons and how I'm beating a dead horse and running shit into the ground... every new piece of information we get makes the game sound more and more like COD. I mean, today we learned you press the d-pad to use killstreak rewards. In Halo.

I'm either an asshole or a soothsayer depending on HaloGAFs mood lol. I've never seen more people quote my posts in support than when the first deluge of H4 MP stuff leaked out of Game Informer and everyone was pissed off. Now people are getting optimistic again so I'm a jerk who hates Halo. It's good stuff. I wish E Z B was around right now.

What the fuck? Dear god...

TBH with you, the way that MP details have been divulged has been quite annoying. I appreciate Frankie/Ellis coming in here to clarify certain details. But I Feel that there should have been a better way to introduce elements (certainly the controversial parts) of the game to the public.

Holy shit at those graphics.

I'm not advocating the return of dictators or their photoshoppers.

I just. I don't like what I'm hearing either. I think being vocal about these worries and pointing out that an over abundance of hope or superficial enjoyment (like with Reach) is a good thing.
I'd rather complain now and be happily won over than be "YOU CAN'T JUDGE THE INFO IN FRONT OF YOU, YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME MANNNNN".

TBH with you, the elements of how MP details have been divulged has been quite annoying. I appreciate Frankie/Ellis coming in here to clarify certain details. But I Feel that there should have been a better way to introduce elements (certainly the controversial parts) of the game to the public.
I think this is very true too. One could say that this is a freer, more "honest" way of presenting it, but there's a good middle ground that could be struck.
Footage & commentary breaking everything down for "this" "TBD" stage of the project.

That does look fantastic. Minimum HUD elements is a huge plus in my book. Cortana looks a little odd but it's both early and hard to see.

zap

I gotta say, Kyle's not exactly far off the mark.

We haven't had much info, but the information we have raises issues that 343i knows will make fans worried.

There are a lot of changes that seem to have been taken right from CoD, based on the information we have been getting.

I still have faith that 343i knows what the hardcore fans want and will cater to them appropriately. However, Kyle is only basing his opinions (which have been reasonable, albeit sometimes not given reasonably) on the info we are given - which is all we can do.

Posting for new page. Also holy crap at that pic! I know it's off-screen but still... Looks like concept art.

Weird question for those who usually attend PAX West:

What hotel(s) do you guys usually stay at? I'm planning on going this year, but I want to look for a Hotel that is close to the event. It has to be pretty affordable to.

EDIT: Halo, Heck yeah! And so forth...

Top Bottom