• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo and Target team up for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe marketing:

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I am actually thinking it will. Looking at Zelda's attach rate (over 100% lol), the hype currently surrounding the Switch, and that the rumors point to a massive Switch restock around the 28th..

With CURRENT consoles it would need to hit a 50% attach rate, which seems high, but again given the current hype and the relatively small amount of available titles, it isn't unheard of. And I'm willing to bet that with consoles sold from the Apr 18 restock, it will be well above 50% attach rate.

It will have to sell more than 1.2M in it's opening weekend.

opening might not be as big, but coming in so early in the generation and seemingly being a stellar outing, it could have very long legs as the hardware continues to sell through.

TS-08

They need more console units in stores for this to be super successful for Target. Makes me think they know they are gonna get another batch of units next week.

They almost certainly will. No way Nintendo isn't shipping a huge refresh of stock worldwide for this release.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Man that's huge, I actually have no idea how much Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will sell. I'm always astonished when people tell me the Wii U version sold 8 million copies.

Switch will likely be at over 25% of Wii U's install base before Summer, and over half of it by the end of the year.. My guess is MK8DX will have matched MK8's sales within less than 18 months.

That's extremely conservative. The Wii U version sold 8 million on a 13 million install base. I would expect the Switch version to sell 25 million at least.

Exactly. MK8DX should be higher than MK8 before going into Holiday 2018 where it will almost certainly continue flying. 15M+ is a pretty safe guess.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe should be in the charts for a very, very long time. It will be the GTA V of the Switch.

Switch will likely be at over 25% of Wii U's install base before Summer, and over half of it by the end of the year.. My guess is MK8DX will have matched MK8's sales within less than 18 months.

I'd say considerably over half of the Wii U total by the end of the year. It'll be close to 4 million or more in Japan alone.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I dream of a future where most gamers have a Switch, and starting Mario Kart LAN tournaments becomes a casual thing.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Switch is sitting on 9 million units sold going into 2018. They must be sitting on at least 3m WW by now?

Just went in. Pretty bland. But then again it's not supposed to be a big thing.

I did find the last Galaxy Edition of the New Nintendo 3DS XL though!

It's kind of cool to see Nintendo finally understand that proper marketing matters. They got lucky with the Wii, the thing was so unique and had such casual appeal it sold itself.

With the Switch they've been doing so many things right. Showing the Switch and Zelda on Fallon, clear marketing message, and then this. MK8D is going to be awesome, but everyone needs to know about it. This promo at Target means that every mom out there who shops at Target that week will be well aware of it (and have any kids they are bringing with them into the store begging for it).

Go Nintendo!

Come on, let's not act like Nintendo's entire marketing strategy and campaign for the Wii wasn't completely on point.

They completely dropped the ball with the Wii U though.

Instro

That's extremely conservative. The Wii U version sold 8 million on a 13 million install base. I would expect the Switch version to sell 25 million at least.

That seems like a reach. MK7 managed 15m, I'm not sure the days of MK doing 20+ million are coming back.

Dare I say...30mil when all's said and done?

The Wii version sold over 35 million units, I believe bundled copies were included. Now that's not to say the Switch approaches 100M units sold, but at some point I expect Mario Kart to get officially bundled in NA( holiday 2018 perhaps). I wouldn't be surprised if it approached 30M assuming the Switch maintains its sales momentum and hype over the next few years.

Kouriozan

mario_kart_pie_chart.jpg
LOL, this is really unforgettable.

This game is going to do crazy numbers in terms of lifetime sales.

Switch is posed to sell very well despite what naysayers on CAF have said imho.

It's pretty much a given considering the switch will pass Wii U numbers no problem.
Measured skepticism or analysis is not being a naysayer. Dismissing criticism is just as much an admission of bias as the specter of bias you imagine others may have towards something you like.

That seems like a reach. MK7 managed 15m, I'm not sure the days of MK doing 20+ million are coming back.

And as I said in my last post, the Wii version sold 35 million. Something between the 3ds and Wii sales seems reasonable. The Wii U version sold 8 million on a relatively paltry 13 million install base, so the series still has plenty of selling power assuming its on a console that also has selling power( which the 3ds and Wii had, the Switch appears to, and the Wii U didn't).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Here we go…
Walking through Target doors always brings a little rush, but this time you’re crossing a starting line! As you walk through, motion sensors fire up flashing lights and play Mario’s catchy theme song.

Suicide rate among Target employees increases tenfold during this promotion.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

I agree actually. MK Wii did 30M, but on a console that also hit 100M. I responded to another post with a much more tempered 15M, but looking at MK sales historically, that might even be a tough go. Ultimately it depends on the popularity of the Switch. If we're looking at a 40M unit console.. 15M might be a tretch. If we're looking at a 60M+ console, 15M should be doable.

inner-G

Banned
You mean MK Wii
Oh yeah, whatever the Wii one was called

This series' games have had pretty terrible names, lol.

Super was ok

Mario Kart 64 sounds like there were 63 games before it

Double Dash is meh

Name +Wii... ok I guess, still not creative or cool

Then they just randomly switched to using numbers for the entries, so 'Mario Kart 64' seems weird again because it's a number but not the 64th Mario Kart.

Top Bottom