• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raid Battles and New Gym Features are Coming To Pokémon GO!

SuomiDude

I'm glad my nearest gym is like 30 meters away from me, so I can take advantage of these new updates. Will see how they work in action though, as I'm not too fond of playing with other players.

Swamped

Banned
I'm excited! Seems like some great changes are on the way. Looks like it will take a while for everything to roll out. I'm secretly hoping that my area is one of the areas for beta access to the raids.

Nightbird

I love it when people use anecdotes as evidence that "no one" plays Pokemon Go.

All you need to do is to play the game yourself for a week to know it's not true.

All you need to do is to play the game yourself for a week to know it's not true.

Ah, making them play Pokemon go so they can realize after a week that it is not no one who is playing Pokemon go, but it is them.

sneaky

Sweet, actually a reason to even look at gyms at all.

I still like catching random pokemon, especially during type-boost events; but gyms have always felt kinda pointless to me.

Hope this will give me significantly more reason to check them out.

gutshot

Apparently potions will only drop at gym Pokestops? Not sure if that's confirmed.

Niantic's support page says only that gyms have a better chance of dropping items useful in battle.

You can also spin the Photo Disc at Gyms to collect inventory items. When you collect items at Gyms, there is a greater likelihood to find items that aid in battle — like Potions and Revives.

https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/221957688

border

Being able to re-roll movesets on Pokemon is really the godsend here. I am so glad I held on to my high-IV mons that ended up with garbage moves.

Compsiox

Banned
YEAHHHHHH

I wonder what it'll take to get people out there again

Cheap AR glasses that can be bought anywhere. Instead of looking at the phone to find pokemon you use your eyes.

I'm pretty sure that would do it for most people and it's feasible since the glasses could just use the phone to render the pokemon.

Falchion

I recently started playing this again because I forgot how fun it is. The raid Pokemon sound awesome but I wonder how often these happen in an area.

Zelias

Banned
I like the collecting aspect of PoGo (going for a living dex) but the gym system has never really been fun for me. I'm cautiously optimistic this might change that.

border

I like the collecting aspect of PoGo (going for a living dex) but the gym system has never really been fun for me. I'm cautiously optimistic this might change that.

I think it should be interesting. There will definitely be a lot more turnover on gyms, since people will actually want to have their mons occaisionally kicked off.

elguero

I'm a little bit disappointed that gym status returns to its previous state after a raid completes. I thought that was a great method to prevent gym stagnation.

Dreavus

Gym stuff sounds good. Gets rid of the 10 pokemon gyms and requires people who control them to do a bit of maintenance to keep their spot. Also gives you another reason to use berries. Gyms were fun for the first little while but eventually they became impenetrable fortresses.

This is actually true! I'm not currently playing that much, but I came back for a bit when the new species had already been out for a while and... you start seeing the lures and noticing other people playing the game a lot more when you are playing it yourself.

border

I'm a little bit disappointed that gym status returns to its previous state after a raid completes. I thought that was a great method to prevent gym stagnation.

Having gyms flip that frequently would be too frantic, IMO. It sounds like raids will be happening all day long. There's an image that shows the raid finder, and there's like 5 simultaneous raids going on at once. I don't think they are going to be rare events.

Trainers will actually want to get their pokemon back at regular intervals now, so it won't just be a contest to see who can make the most unbeatable tower and stay on it the longest. Only time will tell how stagnant gyms end up being, but I don't think forcing them to flip is a very good way to prevent stagnation. I'd be pretty upset if I just fed my mons a bunch of berries and then all of a sudden the Gym flipped due to a raid.

That's how gyms should've been from the beginning. It was impossible to beat gyms as even a slightly less than hardcore player on account of people having ridiculous cp mons due to playing 24/7. It's definitely what turned me off as a casual player with absolutely no chance to compete. And it's about time they implemented the raids they teased in the very first trailer. They need to put more of that money to use and beef up the content more than they have.

Reading up on how raids work, I'm more interested than I thought I'd be. The implication seems to be that raids will happen pretty often, and with a bunch of new gyms also in play (it looks like they added five or six in the immediate area around me alone!) it seems like raid participation will be pretty easy, at least for urban players. I think one of the screenshots showed a mixed-team raid group as well, which means I could theoretically play with my friends, who are both on different teams.

Velcro Fly

I have two stops and a gym right in front of my house so having another place I can go and get items is always good.

I have almost no interest in battling so this doesn't change much for me. I just like walking anyway and having something to do while walking has been a lot of fun.

Top Bottom