• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2010 Awards

Codeblue

Great job guys. I'm really digging the extensive breakdowns like "Passion Award" and the system leanings. Those were the most interesting results for me. I can't really think of anything else I would have liked to see in the stats.

The rankings really showcase how much quality was put out in 2010.

Horns

Thanks for putting this together.

Very surprised about COD. Being the most played 360 (and assuming PS3) game online, I just assumed it would be ranked up there.

28. Call of Duty: Black Ops 150

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Durante said:
I believe that one of the reasons why some of us are so eager to point out ME2's flaws is precisely because there's still a lot that's good in that game and the whole franchise. I listed it in the most disappointing games of the year thread and still had it around the center of my GotY list, and I don't think I'm the only one.

This is a very good way of putting it.

Even if it fell short of what we wanted out of the sequel, it was still a damn good game. This is why I object to anyone who has the audacity to call it a 'bad' game, it's so far from it. There is kind of a snowball effect when a game doesn't meet people's expectations. At first it's just a minor letdown in some ways, but people start to exaggerate the flaws over time until they're calling it a shitty game.

I like it just as much as ME1, but I'm not quite sure if it's GOTY material. I love the Mass Effect universe and the characters were great, but the actual game parts aren't exceptional in any way. This was a good year for games, but for me at least, there wasn't a single stand out title. It was a year of parity, many good games but few outstanding games.

Oh yeah, it's nice that Call of Duty 7 didn't make the top 25. This is why GAF is awesome.

DaBuddaDa

NullPointer said:
AC: Brotherhood didn't make the top 10. But then again whats a GOTY list without a few surprises?
Incredible game, but I think it's too incremental of a step for the series to generate a large amount of enthusiasm for GOTY lists. 12 ain't too shabby either, though.

WTFing

Banned
Heavy Rain!
3cNjU.jpg

Thanks GAF!

ultron87

Nier cracking the top 25 warms my heart ever so much. I wish I had remembered to add it to my list after playing a bunch of it.

Ha, I kind of wish ME2 would have slid in the number 2 spot (even though it was my pick), just because it would have almost eliminated the backlash. Great work guys.

I just started playing Assassin's Creed 2 and it makes me think, if I would have played Brotherhood last year, it would have ranked high on my list.

Xbox 360 Game of the Year: Mass Effect 2
2. Halo: Reach
3. Alan Wake
4. Limbo
5. Dance Central

For all of GAF's Kinect hate, it's interesting to see a Kinect game end up in the top 5 for 360. I'm liking my Kinect so far.

Xater

Horns said:
Thanks for putting this together.

Very surprised about COD. Being the most played 360 (and assuming PS3) game online, I just assumed it would be ranked up there.

It's a fun game but let's be honest that franchise is not delivering anything exceptionally new anymore to be "up there". The PC and PS3 version being technically terrible probably didn't help either.

DaBuddaDa

robut said:
Interesting note: the top 6 games were from the first half of the year.
I noticed that too. Personally I found the holiday season (oct-dec) this year to be filled with disappointment after disappointment after disappointment, so it makes sense.

Xater

DaBuddaDa said:
I noticed that too. Personally I found the holiday season (oct-dec) this year to be filled with disappointment after disappointment after disappointment, so it makes sense.

True and this year might not be that different looking at all the stuff that releases early this year.

boingball

Good to see Heavy Rain up there, well deserved. After playing the Mass Effect 2 Demo I decided to pre-order it. Looking forward to play it and see whether it deserves the GOTY tag (my GOTY last year was Read Dead Redemption).
Surprised to see that a PSP Game did win the Protable GOTY...
And what a nice position for the best-selling game of 2010.

Excellent work, timetokill and Cheesemeister. Thanks a bunch for the work.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Thanks for all the hard work. I can't even think of any statistics that are missing in the OP.

As for the actual results: Oh well, never expected Gaf to share my tastes. At least two of my games made it into the Top 10. Just looked it up: my votes average at rank 86. :lol

Keikoku

Banned
Except from some choices in the top 10 (especially Heavy Rain and SC2), I'm okay with this. ME2 wasn't my GOTY but it was my runner-up and it totally deserves it imo, basically it's ME1 with a weaker story, and better everything else.

Excellent work, GAF. ME2 wasn't my top game (#3, I think) but it's still well deserving of the title. Glad to see Heavy Rain crack the top 10, too.

Good work on the OP, love the stats.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Maybe I skimmed over it, but a downloadable GOTY list would have been cool. Obviously Super Meat Boy would be the winner, but I'd like to see the rest.

Then again, it'll just make me depressed since Joe Danger got next to no recognition. Fuck that game is awesome.

Psst, look at the bottom of post #2.

Oops. Joe got snubbed. :(

ultron87

Snuggler said:
Maybe I skimmed over it, but a downloadable GOTY list would have been cool. Obviously Super Meat Boy would be the winner, but I'd like to see the rest.

Then again, it'll just make me depressed since Joe Danger got next to no recognition. Fuck that game is awesome.

Psst, look at the bottom of post #2.

This is the highest that a game I liked (Bayonetta) has placed on GAF's top ten. Not bad. Really sad that Perfect Dark didn't show up on the best FPS list at all, though.

Note to self: check platforms for the GOTY. :lol

All fixed now. Thanks for the heads-up!

acm2000 said:
great choice of winner :)

306. Just Dance 2 - 1 vote

ok, own up, who did this? WHO DID THIS??!?

Snuggler said:

You guys can download detailed stats as listed in the OP!

Gaf almost gets it right, but then Heavy Rain and GT5 had to go fucking it up

Overall quite interesting though, appreciate the hard work in tabulating these figures. Good shit.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Solo said:
I dunno. Usually I don't have any qualm with the choice for GOTY, with 2 exceptions. 2008, when the wretched MGS4 won, and now 2010.

2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2009 were all good though, so I guess overall GAF is hitting much more than missing.
METAL GEAR SOLID 4 IS THE GREATEST VIDEOGAME OF ALL TIME

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Jucksalbe said:
It got 3rd best racing game of the year. That's not too bad.

Yeah, at least it got something, but the funny thing is that it's not even a racing game outside of a few actual racing events. It's something like a platformer combined with Trials HD and the classic Tony Hawk games.

Alan Wake, top 15, Woooo!

Also, I find it hard to believe that Split Second only got 11 points, wow. I noticed the name was listed as Split Second: Velocity (which was only it's name in Europe) and I saw a lot of people listing it as Split/Second, but they were probably picked up. Great game, amazed that so few listed it.

Ranger X

GREAT JOB!!!

Gamers have spoken once again. Welcome to the most accurate gamer's award of the internet.

EDIT: This should seriously be stickied for a while for the internet's reference.

First time since 2006 that I've disagreed with GAF's GOTY, but whatever, awesome job as usual. And I got quoted in the OP! Solid! Though I'm not happy about Peace Walker finishing outside the top 20... or hell, even the top 3.

Forkball

Yay DQIX got in there. I didn't play so many new games in 2010, but I could tell DQIX was definitely one of the high points for those who did play a lot. I can't wait for DQX.

AniHawk

Wow, real interesting stats. Good work timetokill/cheesemeister/everyone else!

5 from my list are in the top 10
That's good!
Heavy Rain is also in the top 10
That's bad.
But Vanquish is in the top 20
That's good!
And so is DKCR
That's bad.

GitarooMan said:
Alan Wake, top 15, Woooo!

Also, I find it hard to believe that Split Second only got 11 points, wow. I noticed the name was listed as Split Second: Velocity (which was only it's name in Europe) and I saw a lot of people listing it as Split/Second, but they were probably picked up. Great game, amazed that so few listed it.

Yeah, they were all picked up, don't worry.
Or... worry, since it only got 11 points, I guess :lol

Good job on all processing all the data. I don't agree, but that's okay.

I've got one remark though. Angry Birds is not IOS/AND only, it's also for Symbian^3! And yes, there are people using that awesome OS. Maybe not in the USA, but here in Europa it's HUUUUUGE.

Top Bottom