• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

neoanarch

I like the centered alignment of pictures, what I don't like is the background color. Any way to change just that?

What's new on Firefox 11? I can't find or notice anything new [not even in loading improvements, but that's because my internet speed is acting funny tonight].

In 11, just the major changes

new image view
import from chrome
addon sync added
new html5 video controls
and assortment of behind the scenes stuff

Sagitario

Basically changes the way you look at images, as you said, it added an add-on compatibility checker, solved add-on compatibility issues, added a 3D tilt page inspector function, added a on the fly CSS editor, and of course it makes everything faster and squashed the occasional bugs and glitches.

Nothing terribly exciting for the average user, but a solid update nonetheless.

In 11, just the major changes

new image view
import from chrome
addon sync added
new html5 video controls
and assortment of behind the scenes stuff

Thank you.
It does feel faster in my office PC.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I like the centered alignment of pictures, what I don't like is the background color. Any way to change just that?

What's new on Firefox 11? I can't find or notice anything new [not even in loading improvements, but that's because my internet speed is acting funny tonight].

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/old-default-image-style/
^The options in that add-on let you keep the alignment and change the color if you choose. You can just type the color name or use a hex code.

FLEABttn

Banned
I've asked this before, but is there a way to get the updater in Firefox to point to a mirror instead of the default download location? My work blocks the standard Firefox download location but none of the mirrors.

neoanarch

I've asked this before, but is there a way to get the updater in Firefox to point to a mirror instead of the default download location? My work blocks the standard Firefox download location but none of the mirrors.

Consider the portable version from portableapps.com You can run it from a flash drive and leaves no traces on the pc.
/sales voice

New home page in Nightly.

iwXtWhGkI8gqN.PNG

cress2000

Augh, every now and then FF either flashes and hiccups, or stops and (not responding) for a bit.

I had something like this several days ago. It turned out that my prefs.js file had somehow blown up to like 100MB. Replaced it with a 100KB copy from a backup and it was smooth sailing again.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
One small aesthetic thing I'd like them to add is make the tab dragging work like dragging a window around, where it actually visibly moves with your mouse. It'd make dragging a tab out to its own window or to another window feel less ghetto.
I just fixed an issue that's been bugging me for a long time. When scrolling, the default number of lines scrolled is 6! You can change it to 1 in about:config. I finally feel back in control!
That's cool, I like how tweaking something in about:config can sometimes save you from installing a extra add-on.

I've been having this issue for a long time now, but does anyone else encounter issues when opening links to twitter pages? Either in the same tab, or in a new tab.

They never seem to work first time for me. Eg, if you open a link in a new tab, the address will show up in the navigation bar for that tab, but it won't actually go there (the tab will still say 'New Tab'). To get to the page you then need to select the nav bar and hit enter.

I have adblock and noscript, but both are disabled for all twitter pages, if that helps.

RE2TU.png

I was screwing around with the toolbars and now I no longer have the "customize" option. How do I reset it to normal?
damn, imgur's compression really is bad

Izick

Ahh thanks!

Holy shit why do people like that feature anyway? Apparently centering and background coloring renders the image hard to drag.

I personally like it. It hasn't given me any trouble yet, but the consensus seems to be that the majority of people dislike it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So Aurora updated to 13 today. Newly design home tab page is really awesome. The new tab page with the speed dial is on the opposite end aka awful.

Also smooth scrolling is enabled by default. It's ummmm weird.

Korey

Augh, every now and then FF either flashes and hiccups, or stops and (not responding) for a bit.

I have a problem in 11, where the connection will hang/lag and not load the page or link for like 10-20 seconds. I don't think it's my connection because I tried loading the same website in Chrome and it was really fast.

Road

I still can't change my UI. Just tell me how to reset it without uninstalling (my last resort).
Try disabling all your extensions. If it appears, then enable your extensions one by one and see what's causing it.

Also, if you're using UserChrome.css, remove it from your profile folder.

Izick

Firefox 14 nightly adds new fancy default HTML5-based PDF viewer

iLoveUbuntu said:
Mozilla Firefox has started the year 2012 with a new features-based attitude, continuing to bring exciting tools, as well as new themes, such as Australis that is to hit Firefox in the next months.

Firefox 14 nightly build (the regular build, not a custom release) have just received a gorgeous add-on, PDF.js, installed by default.

PDF.js is a fancy PDF viewer that uses HTML5 technologies to read/open PDF files directly in the browser, both local and online files.

Although this is its first default implementation, the look is impressive displaying a "full" toolbar with numerous options/actions, thus delivering a proper reading experience with zero compromises.

pdfjs%20nightly%20zoom.png

The eyecandy element is a first-class citizen, PDF.js comes with an on-demand "launcher"/panel, located on the left-side, hidden by default and in usable mode (viewable) when the mouse pointer is hovered over its location (hitting the left-side of the screen).

moxnig%20hiddeb%20bar.png

The transparent black-ish side panel can be set to display both chapters and the book's thumbnails, "modes" adjustable via the two bottom buttons.

moznight%208.png

moz%20nightly%20pdf.js.png

How do we use PDF.js?

• locally, no Internet connection is required (navigate to Firefox-->File-->Open File-->select and read a PDF file)
  • online (navigate to various web-sites and click links that contain PDF files: Firefox opens the PDF file with the toolbar's option to download the item with the possibility to later open and read the downloaded item via the local method)

moz%20bnightly%20pdf%20js%206.png

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
It's a little odd that it's an add-on, but I like that the PDF viewer is now enabled. It was annoying to have to read PDFs in Acrobat because 64-bit Nightly doesn't have a plug-in.

Izick

It's a little odd that it's an add-on, but I like that the PDF viewer is now enabled. It was annoying to have to read PDFs in Acrobat because 64-bit Nightly doesn't have a plug-in.

I would think that it'd make more sense to be in the "plugins" section (just because what it is), or just a part of the browser like Chrome. Still, this is basically the debut of it to the public, so I'm guessing they will likely just fully integrate it down the road.

DoomGyver

I've been having some problems ever since I updated to ff11 several hours ago. Google loads fine, gaf works okay but the avatars wont load for about 10 seconds and the pics wont load at all. Google, yahoo, and gaf load but I can't seem to get most of my bookmarks to load at all. I've reset my router, deleted cookies/cache but nothing I do seems to work. Maybe it's just my ISP?

Izick

I've been having some problems ever since I updated to ff11 several hours ago. Google loads fine, gaf works okay but the avatars wont load for about 10 seconds and the pics wont load at all. Google, yahoo, and gaf load but I can't seem to get most of my bookmarks to load at all. I've reset my router, deleted cookies/cache but nothing I do seems to work. Maybe it's just my ISP?

Any extensions installed? Try starting up Firefox in safe mode.

Madtown_

I've been using this for a while now (ubuntu), as an extension (pdf.js), and it has definitely gotten a lot better. I don't know if it is ready for prime-time yet, though. Some docs open in almost another language at times, and I've seen memory baloon because of it.

But it's good to see! Progress is progress.. Mac Fx still has no pdf viewer built-in so this could be a big step forward there.

Dany

Banned
Full-screen on 10.7 is kinda junky right now, doesn't get rid of the Navbar or bookmarks bar, they just stay there.

sca2511

Was wondering if anyone else was having problems with Flash videos stuttering every 10 or so seconds? I've raised the browser tab save timing and also disabled/enabled the hardware graphics acceleration in Flash and Firefox. It would go away for a bit, then return and persist. If any of you are not having this problem, would you mind posting what version of Flash (I'm on 11,2,202,228), Firefox (11), and OS you're running (I'm on Win7)?

Izick

Was wondering if anyone else was having problems with Flash videos stuttering every 10 or so seconds? I've raised the browser tab save timing and also disabled/enabled the hardware graphics acceleration in Flash and Firefox. It would go away for a bit, then return and persist. If any of you are not having this problem, would you mind posting what version of Flash (I'm on 11,2,202,228), Firefox (11), and OS you're running (I'm on Win7)?

I'm always having troubles with flash, but that's just because I'm on Linux. :p

Does the problem still persist when you use other browsers? (Remember, Chrome uses built-in flash, so you'll have to test it in IE, Chromium, Opera, etc.)

sca2511

I'm always having troubles with flash, but that's just because I'm on Linux. :p

Does the problem still persist when you use other browsers? (Remember, Chrome uses built-in flash, so you'll have to test it in IE, Chromium, Opera, etc.)
It doesn't occur on Chrome and Opera. I am now temporarily(though starting to like it) using Opera since it's the most like Firefox, until I can fix this Youtube problem.

Top Bottom