• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finalow

Storm Spirit is hard to carry as, you normally get loads of assists(But this is a good thing, bloodstone!) and are really vulnerable. Good use of your ult is the way to survive with storm, you become invulnerable in it, so use it to disjoint stuns, and big nukes.
well ok for the stun but silence? Can't do much with that on.
geez, last game I was 6 - 1 and finished 6 - 6 'cause no one wanted to ingage first. =/
loss ofc. fuck yeah.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
well ok for the stun but silence? Can't do much with that on.
geez, last game I was 6 - 1 and finished 6 - 6 'cause no one wanted to ingage first. =/
loss ofc. fuck yeah.

Nope, silence is a big counter to SS until he has BKB. Unless they have Doom, in which case good luck with that.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
So, what announcer packs would you instantly buy?

Juggernaut
Storm Spirit
Enchantress
Axe
Baller King
Queen of Pain
Batrider
GLaDOS

Sanjay

I can understand your frustration, but I still stand on my argument. Use a clarity as soon as you use one or two chain lightning, that way you will not have to wait to use it again. Grab a bottle, arcane, whatever necessary to keep spamming. Make him pay for having to come and try to get that last creep kill. And if he does, you can always right click on him to drag the creeps to you, make the ranged creep attack you, and have him miscalculate the last hit, from there which you can deny.

Will work against bad players but If the players are even I'm sure BS has the match up on Zeus, as your forgetting BS can also silence you for 6 seconds (120 dmg) and surely he can just last hit during this to regen his HP back.

The best way is to make sure you get every rune so ward one end and ask another support to sit the other then gank mid loads of times.

Make a thread, we will vote on it. But here are mines:-

Earthshaker
Windrunner

Artanisix

Shadow Shaman
Leshrac
Sniper

So I got my sexy female voice, my freakishly outworldish voice and my awesome voice, on top of the default one.

Who needs more!

Swag

Death Prophet, and Tide if they made him say he could eat a hero everytime they do something.

I agree that eventually, he can be nuked. But in that laning situation, by the time Zeus hits level 6, BS is closing in on level 8 due to all the successful last-hits and denies. Oh, and Zeus basically got no meaningful farm out of the first 7 minutes of the game, so it's not like he's a threat to solo kill BS at that point either. Maybe you'd have to see it to get a really clear idea of what I'm talking about, that heal neutralizes any harass Zeus has between level 1-6. Zeus can't kill him before level 6 even if he wanted to. Only thing I can see slowing Bloodseeker farm against Zeus is a gank. A couple of them.
Your thinking too far ahead, by level 3 you win the lane, chain lightning creeps to early bottle ( this will also harass him), then lightning bolt him till he's forced out of lane. You may have to sacrifice him gaining some HP to get runes, but that's not a problem if you get a good enough rune to kill him.

Feast is only 10/15% at 1/2 so you should be able to keep him out of the creep line without fear of dying, considering its BS.

If he starts with a Magic Stick your probably fucked though.

You can check out 6351091 to see me vs Milk mid on Zeus, it's not exactly the BS vs Lesh matchup but you can kinda see how effective Zeus can be at keeping someone out of lane

Sibylus

Banned
Earthshaker, Sand King, Storm Spirit, Drow, Tidehunter. "I could eat a Night Stalker".

Q: Does Legion Commander's ult disable items activated prior to the ult? ie Blade Mail.

Concept Art Day (Lycanthrope, Syllabear, Shadow Demon) and/or Assassin Day.

Your thinking too far ahead, by level 3 you win the lane, chain lightning creeps to early bottle ( this will also harass him), then lightning bolt him till he's forced out of lane. You may have to sacrifice him gaining some HP to get runes, but that's not a problem if you get a good enough rune to kill him.

Feast is only 10/15% at 1/2 so you should be able to keep him out of the creep line without fear of dying, considering its BS.

If he starts with a Magic Stick your probably fucked though.

You can check out 6351091 to see me vs Milk mid on Zeus, it's not exactly the BS vs Lesh matchup but you can kinda see how effective Zeus can be at keeping someone out of lane
would like to see that replay, yes. and I'll definitely give it a try next time around. I spent a lot of my early mana trying to bolt/chain lightning HIM instead of the creeps, which is undoubtedly why he had so much to eat (and subsequently so much to eat). Also, by level 3 he started silencing me and scooping up good amounts of life back by getting a few last hits in during that time.

I think the kid was just good. Coulped with the fact that I hadn't seen the matchup before, I didn't play it very well.

Sibylus

Banned
Damn, that does sound a little hellish to deal with, especially if you're going to be the squishy support he zeroes in on every single teamfight. Something like a Pugna might come in handy.

Guesong

Damn, that does sound a little hellish to deal with, especially if you're going to be the squishy support he zeroes in on every single teamfight. Something like a Pugna might come in handy.

It doesn't even have to be a squishy support. LC can cast his second skill on himself right before his ult, ensuring victory over pretty much anyone in a 1v1 forced-attack duel (on top of his passive).

Also keep in mind that you get the buff if the enemy hero dies while under the effect of the spell ; it doesn't have to be YOUR kill. Meaning he's an excellent ganker as well ; force attack, have your ally help you nuke him to death.

I think he'll definitively be tinkered around once 6.73 becomes Tourney-approved, and once he comes into DotA2 in a year or so.

Sibylus

Banned
He certainly sounds a hair batshit, balance-wise.

Dazzle might be another good counter, if nothing else to run the clock and deny him the bonus damage (though you'd want levels in Grave so as to have more than 1 in a protracted teamfight).

It's no easier being the solo queuer, he gets shit on what ever he does since the bros are a tight gang. They have their picks on lock before the game loads up and go with the buddies on their buddy lanes, sometimes creating completely idiotic lanes.

Most solo queuers aren't jackasses, and thus I will not treat them as such. But when your team already has a Viper and the other solo queuer already went Huskar - already giving us two ranged carries, which could be fine given the right team makeup! - and the jackass solo guy goes fucking Weaver a minute into the game after we've had our team set up for a long while, fuck them, fuck them, fuck them.

Lumine

I have the beta!

...so where do I begin? :(

I get the jist of the game, I've played a round with bots and I've played LoL/HoN before (a single game in each...) but it all still feels very daunting and overwhelming. I have no idea who to pick, what items to buy, what lane to go to, etc. I'm scared to just pick a hero and go for it haha. :(

Guesong

I have the beta!

I get the jist of the game, I've played a round with bots and I've played LoL/HoN before (a single game in each...) but it all still feels very daunting and overwhelming. I have no idea who to pick, what items to buy, what lane to go to, etc. I'm scared to just pick a hero and go for it haha. :(

Which you probably should not do anyways, unless you want to potentially (read : most likely) get trashtalked to hell and back.

Pick an easy hero like Lich (check the guide in the OP for his general build) to start off with for a couple of games.

So I got into the beta sometime in January. I don't have any extra keys or anything, though. Did they start giving you extra keys for friends after that?

Syllabear looks closer to release than Lycan based on the assets, not that it matters as you'll need to wait an extra week to play whoever they add to Test.

Yeah that's what I thought too but cyborgmatt is basing this on the fact that the mini map icons are patched into the test client right now I guess.

Juggernaut
Storm Spirit
Enchantress
Axe
Baller King
Queen of Pain
Batrider
GLaDOS

Dragon Knight
QoP
Invoker
Pugna

So I got into the beta sometime in January. I don't have any extra keys or anything, though. Did they start giving you extra keys for friends after that?

I think I got my invite in october from a friend, I think they stopped doing it shortly after that.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I have the beta!

Play some bot matches. Learn these things:

How to last hit
How to deny
Map awareness
Figure out what item does what
Figure out the types of heroes (Initiator, carry, support, etc etc)

Then, find a few heroes that fit your playstyle, and learn their roles. Example: Don't last hit in the lane if you are Lich and you are with a carry. Harass the enemies, deny (with both his E and by pressing a on 40% or less ally creeps)

And learn how to use his ult. Also keybind your inventory items, as they are defaulted to the numpad for some weird reason.

Holden

How to last hit
How to deny
Map awareness

Then, find a few heroes that fit your playstyle, and learn their roles. Example: Don't last hit in the lane if you are Lich and you are with a carry. Harass the enemies, deny (with both his E and by pressing a on 50% or less ally creeps)

And learn how to use his ult. Also keybind your inventory items, as they are defaulted to the numpad for some weird reason.

40% :)

Stahsky

What a nice feeling when your teammate furion sprouts you several times with an enemy inside and you cant escape and die. I hate solo matchmaking.

I did that to a friend by mistake the other day and felt like a total douche

What a nice feeling when your teammate furion sprouts you several times with an enemy inside and you cant escape and die. I hate solo matchmaking.

happened to me 4 or 5 times in a single game once while playing as Riki. Dude just didn't seem to know when Riki does or doesn't need help.

Davidion

When I was playing with GAF I was trying to escape back to base, and while running up the mid river stairs the clockwork on my team popped the gears, trapping me on the stairs.

I didn't get upset, but that was a hell of a groan I let out.

Sibylus

Banned
When I was playing with GAF I was trying to escape back to base, and while running up the mid river stairs the clockwork on my team popped the gears, trapping me on the stairs.

I didn't get upset, but that was a hell of a groan I let out.
Heh, I've done that (once).

If that was you, I apologize again!

Lumine

Which you probably should not do anyways, unless you want to potentially (read : most likely) get trashtalked to hell and back.

Pick an easy hero like Lich (check the guide in the OP for his general build) to start off with for a couple of games.

How to last hit
How to deny
Map awareness

Then, find a few heroes that fit your playstyle, and learn their roles. Example: Don't last hit in the lane if you are Lich and you are with a carry. Harass the enemies, deny (with both his E and by pressing a on 40% or less ally creeps)

I appreciate the replies. I think I got most of that figured out already.
Last hitting is the same as dealing the killing blow to creep so you earn gold, right? I suppose denying is doing the reverse? Killing your own creep so your enemy doesn't earn the gold? And I guess map awareness and knowledge of items and heroes comes with time. I've read about the roles on the wiki. Though not all of it is clear to me and it seems like a lot of info one needs to learn beforehand just to enjoy a simple multiplayer game, but alas. I guess I'll do another bot round and try Lich this time. I've tried anti-mage and ursa before. I've always had a thing for high risk, high damage, up close 'n personal, melee, glass cannons. Not sure if either one fits this description though. :p

Is there any rule to which hero should pick what lane or is this simply something that's discussed right before the match starts?

Davidion

Heh, I've done that (once).

If that was you, I apologize again!

Did you block a Lesh? Then I'm pretty sure it was you.

Don't even worry about it
just expect to be yelled at later when I see you on. Because my ass got shanked pretty bad that day

Stahsky

Last hitting is the same as dealing the killing blow to creep so you earn gold, right? I suppose denying is doing the reverse? Killing your own creep so your enemy doesn't earn the gold? And I guess map awareness and knowledge of items and heroes comes with time. I've read about the roles on the wiki. Though not all of it is clear to me and it seems like a lot of info one needs to learn beforehand just to enjoy a simple multiplayer game, but alas. I guess I'll do another bot round and try Lich this time. I've tried anti-mage and ursa before. I've always had a thing for high risk, high damage, up close 'n personal, melee, glass cannons. Not sure if either one fits this description though. :p

Is there any rule to which hero should pick what lane or is this simply something that's discussed right before the match starts?

Certain heroes benefit from mid better than others. Normally those who need to level up faster, or can gank to assist top or bot early. You may understand the last hitting and denying part, but the issue is actually doing it right. Every hero has a different attack animation, so make sure you learn 'em.

and there is nothing simple about this game. come in expecting to sit down and do your homework, or don't bother. this game can be ruthless

Cheeto

Anti-Mage is actually a very tanky, low risk, high damage hero if you don't go the usual noob item route and build something like a basher or vlads first.

Guesong

That's mostly determined before the match starts. Some heroes may work better as mid, but can still be in a sidelane if needed.

Generally though, the carries (like Anti-Mage or Ursa) are to be sent to Radiant Bottom lane (if Radiant) or Dire top line (if Dire), because it is less susceptible to be ganked and the fight is closer to your home tower, making it easier to fall back if needed.

As a carry like AM or Ursa though, it is of utmost importance that you know about the ancient chinese tradition of ricing and farming, and awareness in teamfights. Since those type of things are generally acquired once you get a good feel for the game (and knowing what every hero can do and such), it is why it is recommanded for new players to go for easier, item-independants heroes such as Lich, Venomancer, Crystal Maiden.

Sibylus

Banned
Did you block a Lesh? Then I'm pretty sure it was you.

Don't even worry about it
just expect to be yelled at later when I see you on. Because my ass got shanked pretty bad that day
I think it was a Leshrac who got got nudged into a corner between a cog and the ramp edge. All came down to my facing when I popped the cogs, one of the rare times I lost track of it.

Davidion

I think it was a Leshrac who got got nudged into a corner between a cog and the ramp edge. All came down to my facing when I popped the cogs, one of the rare times I lost track of it.

It's alright, I've long come to terms with the fact that I was just a stepping stone on the path of the ascension of Protolf. :(

Certain heroes benefit from mid better than others. Normally those who need to level up faster, or can gank to assist top or bot early. You may understand the last hitting and denying part, but the issue is actually doing it right. Every hero has a different attack animation, so make sure you learn 'em.

and there is nothing simple about this game. come in expecting to sit down and do your homework, or don't bother. this game can be ruthless

This x1000. Not to mention last hitting while someone is harassing you.

JustinBB7

Played 2 AMAZING matches today. I'm almost done learning all the heroes, first game I was Necrolyte and my friend was Doom. Our team fed so hard, our Shadow Shaman died like 10 times in 15 minutes. We had to defend like crazy, we held them off, SS went suicidal again and kept pushing towers by himself, which worked for some reason and he got barracks (and then fed some more of course).

At the end both the ancients were exposed, 3/4 of us died, and we had to defend, we held them off again, and pushed back 2 times and finally got it. What a fucking game that was, jesus christ!

And just now we had a game where I was Warlock, friend was Doom again, we had a Drow on mid who bought a hyperstone first (and nothing else) then went to build Boots of travel and Mjollnir and nothing else besides that + feeding. They had a beastmaster at level 22 while we were all around 15/16/17. And again we came back and won with a miracle. With a lot of help from our Dark Seer who had Agh Scepter.

Really fun games, actually am tired from it, specially the first one.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The trick is not to memorize every single attack animation, obviously, but be able to readjust your last hitting/animation cancelling instincts within the first minute or so.

You should begin practicing last hitting on someone with a fast animation, like AM, Slar, or Dazzle, then eventually move to slower and slower ones like CM, ES, or Drow as you get more comfortable. The ultimate test of last hitting is Lina, with her whopping 0.75 seconds attack animation (not including travel time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom