• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killing Floor 2 |OT| You've got red on you.

5W3sxcw.jpg

Developed by: Tripwire Interactive
Published by: Tripwire Interactive
Release Date(s): PS4/PC November 18 2016, Xbox One: TBA
Genre: First Person Shooter
Price: Digital $39.99, Retail $39.99 (Retail Exclusive to Gamestop)
Rating: Mature
Players:1-12 Online, 1 Offline
Official Site: Killingfloor2.com
PlayStation Pro Enhancements?: Yes (4k,Ultra Textures,Improved FPS)

What is Killing Floor 2?
Killing Floor 2 is a coop/competitive horde based survival first person shooter. You choose classes to play as, equip various weapons, earn experience to level up, earn money to buy better weapons, all to survive waves of increasingly difficult enemies, and to defeat a boss on the final wave which ends the game, alone or with up to 5 other players, over 4 difficulties, and 3 lengths.

Does it have Single player?
You can play the Survival mode offline(no splitscreen), but no there is no story or single player content beyond that. This game shines online, and I personally wouldn't recommend this to an offline, or primarily single player.

Is this only Cooperative?

No. A 6v6 competitive mode is included with the game. It has one side controlling monsters in third person, while the opposite team has to survive 4 rounds as humans against increasing odds. The Monster team has the opportunity to play as every monster in the game(selected randomly at the beginning of each life), even as the boss in the final round! The Monsters control in third person, and have no skill tress or unlocks, but come standard with the best skills that the ai can use against you in survival. Points are rewarded for the Humans surviving each wave, and deducted for deaths in each wave. All humans must die in the wave for the sides to flip, and humans respawn if at least 1 person survives the wave.

Perk Classes
Perks are the "classes" in the game. They determine your starting weapons and stats. Every 5 levels you can choose between 2 bonuses for your character, capping at lev 25. You gain experience by doing damage with your perk weapons and a secondary task specific to your perk class. You can buy better perk weapons during the match, but money gained, and used, doesn't carry between matches, Only levels and experience carry across games. You can buy and use any weapon independent of your perk, but you will only get perk buffs on perk weapons. There are 10 perks in the base game.

Berserker
The Berserker is the shield that keeps Zeds away from your squad by cutting them down like a rabid lawnmower. All Berserkers specialize in close combat weaponry, but their skill choices let them focus on either being a damage resistant dreadnaught who refuses to go down, or a fleet-footed skirmisher dishing out violence by the truckload. Berserkers can use their melee weapons to block incoming attacks, allowing them keep the Zeds at bay when things get hairy. Plus, clots can't grab them.

Commando
The Commando is the eyes of your squad, providing vital information to your teammates while cutting down hordes of Zeds. Commandos have the unique ability to make stalker Zeds visible to your teammates so they can be dealt with. Commandos also display health bars above injured Zeds, enabling your team to prioritize targets and know when a particularly dangerous Zed is on the ropes. Both of these abilities have a limited range, but it increases with each level the Commando gains. In addition to providing valuable information to your team, Commandos are masters of assault rifles, allowing them to deal with most weaker Zeds handily.

Support
The Support is the wall that keeps Zeds from charging through choke points and into the squishy center of your squad. Armed with a variety of shotguns, the Support’s penetration power allows them to deal with groups of Zeds quickly. Supports can also weld doors with increased speed, allowing them to more easily block off additional approaches and create the choke points they thrive on.

Field Medic
The Field Medic is the guardian angel that keeps your squad fighting long past when you should be on the ground bleeding. Field Medics have access to a diverse selection of weapons, all of which have an alternate fire mode for deploying healing darts to aid your comrades, allowing Field Medics to stay back from the front lines while keeping your squad in fighting shape.

Firebug
The Firebug is the flame-spewing maniac that keeps the Zed horde from overrunning your squad. Armed with a variety of fire-producing weapons, the Firebug can put large groups of Zeds in a panic by keeping them burning until they are little more than cinders. While Firebugs often score fewer Zed kills than other perks, they instead usually lead in assists as they hose down large numbers of Zeds with their gouts of problem-solving fire.

Demolitionist
The Demolitionist is the raging storm that destroys masses of Zeds with each stick of dynamite, grenade, or rocket. Armed with a variety of explosive devices, Demolitionists wield an immense amount of destructive potential and can quickly turn around an entire battle with a few well-placed shots. Demolitionists can supply your squad with additional grenades while in the field and add explosive traps to any welded door, allowing them to unleash explosive hell even when they are elsewhere.

Gunslinger
The Gunslinger is the bullet-dispensing carnage machine that carves up Zeds face to face. Gunslingers are masters of dual wielding pistols, putting lots of damage down range quickly while carrying enough ammunition to stay in the fight long term. The Gunslingers are highly mobile, short-range combatants who deals damage quickly and get out before any Zeds can respond.

Sharpshooter

The Sharpshooter is the sniper striking his foes from afar, destroying Zed after Zed with well-placed headshots. The Sharpshooter is the far end of the Commando-Gunslinger-Sharpshooter continuum, trading the rate and fire and mobility of the other perks for increased damage and accuracy, especially at long range. The Sharpshooter is particularly adept at killing large Zeds, dishing out impressive damage with each headshot.

Survivalist
The survivalist brings power from all classes to provide the player with build options, each survivalist will be able to mix one or more perks meaning less people more perks.

SWAT
The SWAT perk is the close range combatant who hoses down Zeds with submachinegun fire, hacking through them with a storm of lead and steel. Using a variety of rapid firing weapons, the SWAT perk has the highest rate of fire of any perk, though individual shots are weak, and good for picking off smaller Zeds. The SWAT perk in the thick of combat and can mow down less powerful Zeds like a scythe through wheat, or tank more than enough to stand toe-to-toe, while only temporarily, with Fleshpounds and Scrakes.

Maps
The base come comes with 12 maps.

Biotics Lab
489px-KF2_Map_BioticsLab.png

The Biotics Lab, buried deep under some nameless Belgian city, was one of Horzine’s major clone production and experimentation sites. A production plant for growing Clots, the facility was also used for R&D and experimentation, simply by plucking random specimens off the production line. At the point of the outbreak, some of the earlygeneration clones tried to escape and save themselves. Their attempts to escape simply enabled the horde to escape too.

Outpost
489px-KF2_Map_Outpost.png

Horzine had a security training base, also used for testing interesting experimental weapons, in the far north of Norway, not far from the North Cape. Buried away in the hilly, even mountainous, tree-and-snowcovered terrain, they could have their guys run around in experimental body armor, test-firing all sorts of exotic personal weaponry. The nearlypermanent heavy cloud cover kept the spying eyes in satellites at bay, while the terrain and extreme weather could account for any snoopers on the ground. Not that it did them any good when the outbreak hit. The security forces on hand were well-armed, but few in number, as most of them had already been returned to main Horzine facilities. This led to a short, sharp battle, with high casualties for both Horzine’s troopers and the specimens - but specimen numbers won the day.

Burning Paris
489px-KF2_Map_BurningParis.png

When one of Clamely’s clones escaped from London, he was on a train for Paris, where he vanished underground once more. Only to resurface a few months later, reinvigorated, restored and ready to wreak more mayhem. The population of the 14eme Arrondisement, almost in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower, were caught completely unawares as a massive outbreak of specimens surged out of the Paris Metro one spring morning. The first Parisians, sitting at pavement cafes, never knew what hit them - the rest started running. It didn’t do much good, as more outbreaks started appearing all over the city, coming up out of the sewers and the Metro. Within hours, Paris was desolated, elements burning gently amongst the carnage, as the zeds pursued the living out of the city.

Volter Manor
489px-KF2_Map_VolterManor.png

Set against a Swiss cliff side, this modern fortress hides many secrets. While the raging storm outside approaches, evil has begun to leak out from its imposing walls. You are being invited in (well you've been offered dosh to clear the place out!), are you up for the challenge?

Evacuation Point
489px-KF2_Map_EvacuationPoint.png

The site of a Danish last stand as people rushed to escape to sea to avoid a painful death against the incoming zed hoard.

Catacombs
489px-KF2_Map_Catacombs.png

Deep below the layers of modern Europe persists the remnants of what came before. For one Italian city this includes a recently discovered series of caves and catacombs from a connecting sewer. Hearing of a possible localized outbreak, you and your team have been sent in to learn more.

Farmhouse
489px-KF2_Map_Farmhouse.png

A misty, dimly-lit old farmhouse, nestled in the woods far from civilization during a dark and claustrophobic night. Can you and your team survive a night at the Farmhouse?

Black Forest
489px-KF2_Map_BlackForest.png

Welcome to the Black Forest. You have been sent deep into these murky woods to find something (and it doesn’t look like it involves cake). With luck you will also be able to find your way out.

Infernal Realm
489px-KF2_Map_InfernalRealm.png

In the void between our dreams exists a place of solitude and misfortune. A realm of despair that reflects the horrors of mankind's creations on earth.

Prison
489px-KF2_Map_Prison.png

Imagine yourself rushing to escape the dark as the freezing cold and the zeds approach. A walled and fortified looking structure offers perceived safety. But how long can you survive in this old Soviet era relic. Welcome to the Prison.

Containment Station
489px-KF2_Map_ContainmentStation.png

The Horzine station has been making Zeds for years, but now something is wrong, and no one has responded to the contact requests. This station needs to be checked out, to make sure all functions are in order. If you find contaminates in the station, your order is to eradicate.

Hostile Grounds
489px-KF2_Map_HostileGrounds.png

Although the citizens of this zone have evacuated or perished, it is far from empty. New inhabitants have moved in, now you must fight to take it back!

On top of the above the game also has various cosmetic items and characters that you can change to/customize.

Updates
Updates will be added here when they happen.

----------------
How well does it run on Ps4?
1080p 60fps unlocked (50 average, but fairly stable)

Does it have any PS Pro advantages?
Killing Floor 2 will have pspro improvements at launch, enabling 4k resolution and Ultra textures + Improved framerate over base PS4, or on 1080p sets Ultra Textures + Supersampling + Improved Framerate(presumably over all 3 versions).

Is it releasing on Xbox One?
At launch the game will be console exclusive to PS4, but the developers have stated that an Xbox One version is most likely coming sometime in the future. The version is not announced, as of yet, though.

Will the game receive updates?
The developers have said that they plan to keep the PS4 version in line with the PC version, which has received timely content drops through early access. Seasonal events will also be supported on PS4. There's already a large modding community on PC.

Does the game have micro-transactions or DLC?
Yes. You can buy in game cosmetic items with real world money. There is a loot drop system that allows you to get some of these items. The developers have said that the money will go towards free dlc, and that they will update the game to the extent of the first. It is currently unknown to what extent Zed Economy will be in PS4.
"Q: Does this mean free updates are over? Are you going to stop releasing free content?

A: No, our plan is to continue updating Killing Floor 2 for years to come just as we did for Killing Floor 1. We will continue to add new perks, new maps, new zeds, and other content for free. Just as with the DLC in the first game, the money made on these items goes towards creating new (free) content, events, and whatever else we can dream up
for you!"
http://killingfloor2.com/Zedconomy/

Thanks to Cornbread for the banner!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is this only Cooperative?
Yes.

Fixed that for you. You're completely welcome, OP.

(Seriously, fuck that versus mode. Complete waste of development time)

Anyway, glad to see them FINALLY get out of Early Access. But the last perk they introduced is completely underwhelming. It's proof positive they're out of time and need to release it NOW, since I feel like another year for Martial Artist would've driven everyone insane.

Decado

Really want a single player campaign ala DOOM using this engine.

Anyway, interested in this game, but the community hasn't been thrilled with it this year. Did it improve leading to the full release?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My personal favorite arena shooter, the original was great and I think Killing Floor 2 improves on it.

Also for anyone on the edge, know this game will have support long after it's released as all games by the company do. They've already confirmed that holiday events will be returning next year, and that Killing Floor 2 will keep the trend from Killing Floor 1 where they have a major update for the game 3-5 times a year, adding new maps, weapons, characters, and more, and every holiday season there's a timed holiday event they hold (usually for Christmas, Summer, & Halloween) where the enemies get specially themed and new stuff is added.

Congrats to PS4 owners! I'm honestly surprised 1 never made it to consoles, but it all works out. 2 pretty much improves on the first in every way. Hope you guys enjoy it!

Now that's it out of Early Access, I hope we start getting themed events soon. That was my favorite part about 1, and I'm curious to see their approach to it this time.

How does it performs for PS4? All I see was PS4 Pro this and that, but what about the OG PS4?

Well. I'm not sure of any official test, but the beta was pretty smooth, even with explosions limbs and such flying everywhere. It's not locked 60fps, but it's north of 40fps most of the time, from what I could tell.

El Odio

Banned
Nice that it's finally out of EA. I bought it last year and touched it for a few hours before dropping it but I've come back to it recently and it's managed to be good fun, a solid improvement on the first one.

JJD

Yup.

The beta was really fun, but I might have to wait until the price drop to $20. Already bought too many games...

Bought! I'm in the same position, too many games too play, but I love horde games and this is a genre the PS4 is lacking compared to the Xbone.

I would prefer this to be third person like Gears but it seems fun enough.

Kinsei

Banned
Since I imagine there will be a lot of people playing this for the first time due to this being the series debut on consoles I thought I'd post some tips for beginners.

1. Always have an escape route when you weld doors. You don;t want to have the only way out blocked by 50+ enemies.

2. Don't shoot scrakes (chainsaw guys) unless your team is ready to focus fire on them.

3. Before jumping online do the tutorial once with every perk. It's super fast and each time you complete it you level up the perk you're using.

4. Don't jump into hard until you're level 5 with your preferred perk(s)

5. Stick you your perks weapons. If you're a commando running around with a shotgun and SMG then you might as well be a survivalist.

6. Have fun!

Really want a single player campaign ala DOOM using this engine.

Anyway, interested in this game, but the community hasn't been thrilled with it this year. Did it improve leading to the full release?

People were upset with it for a while but the last update was a huge win that really brought the community back on board.

I've already played 200 hours of EA haha.. can't wait for the full release. Im looking from seeing how it develops as KF1 had so many cool annual events and eventually even had the objective mode too

Deband

Thanks for the ot. I took the plunge today on ps4, hope it's all good. Anyone eu can add me on psn as Debandoo.

Had a lot of fun with this during the first few weeks of early access but haven't really touched it since, looking forward to getting back into it.

Razilez

Can't wait to play this. Played the PS4 beta quite a bit and was a blast to play! Got my copy on the way and looking forward to putting many hours into it.

Akronis

Very disappointed with Survivalist as last perk. Awful perk.

EDIT: plus, Firebug is going to be worthless at release, which is not a great look.

Tabasco

I'm confused why there's an OT for this game like it's brand new.

Did it finally come out of early access?

Kinda disappointed there's no 3rd person option for human controlled players but I'm picking it up. It's very fun and I don't really like FPS games.

Mupod

LODS OF EMONE

jumped back into the game a while ago - previously had only played at the start of EA. Not sure about Demo right now, only having the slow launcher and the RPG kinda sucks. But on the other hand it's nice not covering the entire place in smoke and pissing off allies.

Sharpshooter feels great though, has the classic weapon options and the railgun is cool.

Support's still Support. Bewm stick time.

Have barely touched the other classes, will definitely hop in here and there for some casual play. Gunslinger seems up my alley and medic is way less annoying to play than it was in KF1.

OneUh8

Fun game. Loved the first one. Bought this on early access a few months ago. It's fun don't get me wrong, but something about it does not feel the same. Haven't played it in a month or two though.

Heidern98

I forgot that this was coming out this week even though I played the beta :)

I'll definitely be getting it though, since the beta was a ton of fun.

As a big fan of CoD zombies Is this an easy recommend?

Yeah, it's the most fun co op game I've ever played. Amazing feeling weapons, super tough enemies, a huge reliance on team play (but you can still survive with randoms, I always play with randoms tbh and I've finished almost all naps on hell on earth difficulty) and awesome gore. Also it's metal as fuck.

Moofers

I'm waiting for the reduced price on Black Friday at Gamestop (only place you can buy it in the states if you want a disc)

That said, the beta was awesome and the first game on PC is AMAZING. The seasonal/holiday events are unlike anything I saw in any other game for a while. Completely new models for all enemies, new levels, and it was FREE. I really hope the PS4 version gets to enjoy that stuff for this game because that's the version I'll have.

Very excited to see this come out! I hope it gets the attention it deserves because that first game....wooo! It was great!

El Odio

Banned
Since I imagine there will be a lot of people playing this for the first time due to this being the series debut on consoles I thought I'd post some tips for beginners.

1. Always have an escape route when you weld doors. You don;t want to have the only way out blocked by 50+ enemies.

2. Don't shoot scrakes (chainsaw guys) unless your team is ready to focus fire on them.

3. Before jumping online do the tutorial once with every perk. It's super fast and each time you complete it you level up the perk you're using.

4. Don't jump into hard until you're level 5 with your preferred perk(s)

5. Stick you your perks weapons. If you're a commando running around with a shotgun and SMG then you might as well be a survivalist.

6. Have fun!
Forgot
7.Reminder that it is customary to throw all your Dosh out at the end of the round. The money does, in fact, have collision physics and will stack on each other
I wish they kept the freeze frame moment after you beat the boss. Was always fun to have everyone jump up in the air over the patriarch before tossing dosh for a few seconds.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm waiting for the reduced price on Black Friday at Gamestop (only place you can buy it in the states if you want a disc)

That said, the beta was awesome and the first game on PC is AMAZING. The seasonal/holiday events are unlike anything I saw in any other game for a while. Completely new models for all enemies, new levels, and it was FREE. I really hope the PS4 version gets to enjoy that stuff for this game because that's the version I'll have.

Very excited to see this come out! I hope it gets the attention it deserves because that first game....wooo! It was great!

They've confirmed that holiday events, maps, weapons, etc., will be coming to the PS4 version of Killing Floor 2 as well. They say all major updates will hit PS4, but give no promises if it'll always be on the exact same day as PC but will try as hard as they can to release them on the same date or as close as possible to PC updates.

And I agree with you, the holiday events for Killing Floor 1 were a blast, and they are confirmed the first holiday events will be happening for KF2 starting next year.

Top Bottom