• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: 3DS finally hacked?

Yay! One more step towards that common key...!

Not too many 3DS games I want to import, though. Mostly Nazo Waku Yakata (decent game), PXZone (decent game), and E.X. Troopers (is on PS3).

I'm most excited for 1) 3DS homebrew (Doom and Duke 3D in stereoscopic 3D? Yes, please!) and 2) the common key being leaked so we can rip music from games. Region free would be a bonus for me.

FSLink

Banned
That being said, wasn't it said that Nintendo was able to "brick" 3DS's that run unknown programms? They never followed suit, did they?

Pretty sure that was just tinfoil hats reading Nintendo's term of agreement thing. I don't think there has been evidence of them intentionally bricking any of their systems. (The Wii debacle was them trying to update boot2 or something to try to get rid of homebrew and people's systems turning off or something....ending up bricking systems who didn't even have homebrew)

The PSP could? I'm not an expert and I'm genuinely asking, why wouldn't the 3DS be able to emulate the PSX?

They hacked the PSP's built-in PSX emulator to run pirated games. That's very different from having someone build a PSX emulator from the ground up.

The PSP could? I'm not an expert and I'm genuinely asking, why wouldn't the 3DS be able to emulate the PSX?

The 3DS should be able to emulate the PS1 without too much issue.

(edit) AquaMarine: They had a native PS1 emulator in the works, it was able to play FF8 with only minor glitches and a little slow. It would have EASILY gotten full speed with some more time, but they DID hack the official emu and thus the project was canned.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Region free will be so nice. My girlfriend is Japanese and wants the Japanese version of games like Animal Crossing.. But to do that she'd have to import from home and forever import games ever after? It's maddening. She just doesn't bother.

Region free will be so nice. My girlfriend is Japanese and wants the Japanese version of games like Animal Crossing.. But to do that she'd have to import from home and forever import games ever after? It's maddening. She just doesn't bother.

Or she could buy a japanese 3DS and purchase japanese 3DS point cards and get all her games digitally.

The 3DS should be able to emulate the PS1 without too much issue.

(edit) AquaMarine: They had a native PS1 emulator in the works, it was able to play FF8 with only minor glitches and a little slow. It would have EASILY gotten full speed with some more time, but they DID hack the official emu and thus the project was canned.

The 3DS definitely has the raw power to emulate the PS1...I just wonder if the code from the inevitable PS1 emulator will be efficient enough to run games on an architecture like the 3DS.

The 3DS definitely has the raw power to emulate the PS1...I just wonder if the code from the inevitable PS1 emulator will be efficient enough to run games on an architecture like the 3DS.

It can, zero doubt. The first few releases will likely be slow, but if there is a dedicated dev, the 3DS is more than powerful enough to emulate the PS1 at full speed.

I'm guessing it couldn't render them in 3D though?

Good question... I don't see why it couldn't RENDER it. The 3DS graphics chip is strong as hell compared to everything else in the system.

The key would be how it would manage it... but I don't think it would be worth the effort. Look at the 3DS games that only lazily use 3D, they are very unimpressive. Trying to force that effect in games not designed for it is going to probably look underwhelming at best, and glitchy and broken at worse.

nasos_333

That should already run fine on DS and 3DS outside of Japan. It was only DSi/DSi-"enhanced" DS games that were region locked. Regular DS games were always region-free.

That is a very nice hint :)

So you think would run on US 3DS if i bought an import version ?

Has anyone actually tried it ?

Bravely Default, FF9 and Zelda OOT on one system

A dream come true :)

nasos_333

I am getting Ni no Kuni import, i just have to have the art, no matter if i will be able to finish the game :)

The huge book is a good perk too, i may even make overlapping pages with translation for it :)

Will be a nice little project, more game for me :) and it wont hurt to learn some Japanese (and be ready in the case i have to hack my 3DS and buy Bravely Default from Japan store)

So, is it 100% sure it will play on a US 3DS ? Has anyone tried it or at least try other DS import games ?

Boogiepop

I am getting Ni no Kuni import, i just have to have the art, no matter if i will be able to finish the game :)

The huge book is a good perk too, i may even make overlapping pages with translation for it :)

Will be a nice little project, more game for me :) and it wont hurt to learn some Japanese (and be ready in the case i have to hack my 3DS and buy Bravely Default from Japan store)

So, is it 100% sure it will play on a US 3DS ? Has anyone tried it or at least try other DS import games ?

Yeah, as long as it's not DSi enhanced it will work. I've played plenty of Ouendan on my 3DS.

Jubern

Is Ni no KUni DSi enchanced ?

How can you tell ?

Aren't there also DSi enhanced games that are NOT region-locked? I remember pretty clearly people talking about how Pokémon B&W western release was region-free. Is B&W2 the same, by the way? I'm wondering whether or not I can play the French version on my JP 3DS....

nasos_333

Aren't there also DSi enhanced games that are NOT region-locked? I remember pretty clearly people talking about how Pokémon B&W western release was region-free. Is B&W2 the same, by the way? I'm wondering whether or not I can play the French version on my JP 3DS....

Found one quote that says Ni no Kuni plays on 3DS, for anyone else interested

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997614-/61619021

I will search for more evidence, i dont want to spend 80$ and not be able to play the game :)

RM8

Well, I for one don't like this. My Wii being region free is amazing, but hacker-free Mario Kart is great as well. And other than Terry's Wonderland and Azito 3D I doubt I'd be importing a lot of games. Plus 3rd party support is already week-ish on handhelds... yeah, nuke this thing with a mandatory update, Nintendo,

Oersted

Well, I for one don't like this. My Wii being region free is amazing, but hacker-free Mario Kart is great as well. And other than Terry's Wonderland and Azito 3D I doubt I'd be importing a lot of games. Plus 3rd party support is already week-ish on handhelds... yeah, nuke this thing with a mandatory update, Nintendo,

Yep, unfortnatly this would mainly lead to people not buying games. Not a good thing.

Yep, unfortnatly this would mainly lead to people not buying games. Not a good thing.

Then maybe Nintendo should make a better case for their products and value-for-money, especially in the post-iPhone world, instead of region locking the hardware?

Worried people won't buy games? Then make better games, teach the customers what are they getting for $40. If they still don't want that - the market has changed, move on or die.

Unfortunately, 3DS has had a piracy scene building for quite a while now.

There's about... 226 games so far that have been dumped and released through illegal channels (AKA the piracy scene).

It's all done in preparation...the moment some kind of exploit gets leaked to the public, expect piracy on the system to run rampant.

I just hope the 3DS doesn't end up as another PSP. That system was plagued by vast amounts of piracy that hurt software sales.

I do not remember wide availability of flash cards hurting the DS. And that was WAY easier than flashing PSP with CFW.

They're from a CESA (Computer Entertainment Supplier’s Association in Japan) piracy report for certain DS and PSP games.

Not sure what their methodology was for determining this kind of thing.

More reliable data please. It's like asking RIAA about music piracy lol. I can tell you what their methodology was: visit X websites, write down the number each torrent file has been downloaded (which probably involved a fair amount of fakes they posted themselves), add them up, have people like you quote them.

It's certainly bittersweet for the gaming enthusiast. A successfully hacked console leads to a more open system for the consumer, but it also leads to good amounts of piracy.

So while it improves the 3DS's functionality considerably, it also cripples the success of 3DS titles...which can potentially have a negative effect on the consumer.

Although, it's important to take into consideration the audience that is buying 3DS games. The financial losses incurred from piracy (by this I mean people who WOULD have bought a game but DIDN'T because they could just download it instead) may not be enough to have a serious effect on publisher decisions regarding new games.

Only reason I would want this is for playing Animal Crossing sooner without buying a Japanese 3DS.

Or you know, NoA could release it here in a reasonable timeframe.

Jomjom

Banned
I hope hope HOPE this is real. NoA's idiotic decision to only have lame colors and no limited editions for the 3DS XL will finally cease to be a deterrence to my buying a system. This is your fault NoA.

More reliable data please. It's like asking RIAA about music piracy lol. I can tell you what their methodology was: visit X websites, write down the number each torrent file has been downloaded (which probably involved a fair amount of fakes they posted themselves), add them up, have people like you quote them.

CESA has been previously criticized for assuming every pirated copy is a lost sale, arriving at faulty conclusions for monetary damages.

I assume that the specificity of the data is from reported P2P illegal downloads. They might have guesstimated the numbers from more secure P2P networks and DDL sites, but that's unclear.

The only thing I want is to make my 3DS Region Free.

I really hope they can't dig into rom loaders.

For what I've read, they can only access to instructions already loaded in memory, so I assume they may be able to reach the instructions that checks the cartridge region.

Jackano

Only good news in there is that video game music ripping/decoding is now possible. Can't wait for Mario Kart 7 Rainbow Road!

DonMigs85

Is Nintendo able to just region unlock the system thru a firmware update?
I'm not a big fan of custom firmware/homebrew only because piracy always follows right behind. It's like an elephant felling trees and smaller grazers taking advantage of that to eat. Even some pirates will buy genuine games if they have no other option.

ffdgh

Only good news in there is that video game music ripping/decoding is now possible. Can't wait for Mario Kart 7 Rainbow Road!

Oh yes this most definitely...tho it would be needed if nintendo and other companies added a freaking sound test to their games.

And beta stuff is a must too.

Considering I live in Europe and Inazuma sold 100k in France alone - I kinda know about it. Also, how would US and European market be different? Flash cards are not region locked lol.

Pretty sure EU market got hit hard by flash cards, maybe not all of them individually but it was definetly a problem, specially in the last years of the DS.

Considering I live in Europe and Inazuma sold 100k in France alone - I kinda know about it. Also, how would US and European market be different? Flash cards are not region locked lol.
You can stick your head in the sand all you want, but DS piracy had a huge effect on the casual user. I know several people who just had a flash cart full of games; doubtless, they wouldn't have bought all of them, but there's certainly a couple of lost sales for each user.

Homebrew and region unlocking are noble causes, but rampant, freely available piracy is terrible for a platform's health, particularly one which hasn't yet attained DS's critical mass.

Torraz

Edgeworth 1 (ace attorney investigations) was never released in the BeNeLux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg). Piracy was the reason given for this. Due to no region lock imports were no problem however.

Very much looking forward to a region free hack however as it would enable me to play the Atlus releases on my JP 3ds console.

M3d10n

I'm guessing it couldn't render them in 3D though?

Impossible. The PSX graphics chip was actually a 2D triangle rasterizer: the games calculated the final 2D positions for the polygons themselves. There are no 3D coordinates the emulator can intercept and modify, and this is the reason PSX emulators cannot get rid of texture warping.

You can stick your head in the sand all you want, but DS piracy had a huge effect on the casual user. I know several people who just had a flash cart full of games; doubtless, they wouldn't have bought all of them, but there's certainly a couple of lost sales for each user.

Homebrew and region unlocking are noble causes, but rampant, freely available piracy is terrible for a platform's health, particularly one which hasn't yet attained DS's critical mass.
We can debate endlessly about how many sales are truly lost and about people who use flash carts but don't pirate, but what matters is the publishers' reaction to the issue. DS projects were cancelled due to piracy. Being piracy free is a 3DS selling point for publishers.

dan2026

If Nintendo had made it region free from the start, then there wouldn't be any excuses for hacking really.

I have no sympathy for them.

Tenck

If Nintendo had made it region free from the start, then there wouldn't be any excuses for hacking really.

I have no sympathy for them.

Yes because everyone who wants to hack their 3DS is obviously going to do it for region free.

Give me a break.

Top Bottom