• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's actual quietness

wapplew

Maybe media just not interested to interview Sony executives.
Phil Spencer's interview generate more clicks maybe?

David___

Banned
*Nintendo says relatively little* - "They have nothing!!!! Nintendoomed!!!"

*Sony says the square root of nothing* - "Pfft, who needs communication?"

Never change, GAF.
What are opinions
What are different posters with different opinions

geordiemp

Never change, GAF.

Almost every week on GAF there is a thread about an interview with Phil, or someone from Nintendo about how they thought about X / Y / Z and the making of either BOTW or Switch.....(laughs)......... (more from japan and less from Reggie).

This is normal as they both have new hardware to promote so its just an observation of the normal run of things from any company at launch.

But the OP is right, Sony have not done any PR for a while, makes you wonder if they are hiding something lol

OR maybe Sony have done PR as normal and no press have covered it widely because there is not much 'new' to make headlines.

MadMod

Their approach is great. I like that they don't do these PR interviews that try to appease everyone without actually saying anything. I'm incredibly swamped with games right now and it's thanks to them. Can't say the same thing about currently the other consoles.

I'm guessing they're also just preparing for E3.

SgtCobra

Never change, GAF.
Avatar aside, don't you think there's a reason people are saying that about Sony? But keep thinking everyone is a PS fanboy who hates Nintendo over here and let's ignore all the praise for the Switch and countless threads on the frontpage :p

madmackem

Maybe media just not interested to interview Sony executives.
Phil Spencer's interview generate more clicks maybe?
Ones got a new console to generate buzz for the others been killing it on the software side this year, sonys letting the games speak where as ms trying to build up momentum for a new console. I don't understand this thread.

Sweep14

Their games' releases have been very strong since PSX, there's no doubt about that but I'm a bit surprised that they are not trying to counter a bit MS' presence with one or two teases about what's to come at E3.

Dre3001

MS is getting ready to launch a new console and E3 is a month away. What do people really expect Phil to say?

Sony has a comfortable lead over their competitors and is just releasing top notch games as they should. They probably will continue to be quiet outside of E3 and a few gaming expos.

David___

Banned
Their games' releases have been very strong since PSX, there's no doubt about that but I'm a bit surprised that they are not trying to counter a bit MS' presence with one or two teases about what's to come at E3.
Theres no reason to do so. At the end of the day Sony is gonna let the games talk and from that point the conversation goes back to being about them and how MS still playing catch up

shmoglish

Did Phil announce any games or was ist just the "scorpio soon" and "focus un first party" stuff?

Styles

Its funny because I dont recall Sony execs talking that much during this gen. Their heads have been incredibly low-key on social media etc.

The just let their games do the talking which is really nice.

I've noticed this as well...

RedAssedApe

Banned
E3 is coming up. We'll find out more then. Can anyone honestly say they have nothing to play? This is probably the best first 1/3 of a year we've seen in a long while.

Never change, GAF.

Never change with the persecution complex.

DieH@rd

Banned
I can't think of many first-party Playstation games confirmed for this year.

And I can't think of many 1st party games being confirmed for any console this year.

The difference is, Sony has already showed their hand and that hand is incredibly diverse and full of potential. At this E3 they will hopefully release some 2017 dates [GTSport, Dreams, Detroit].

They had one of the strongest Q1's of all time. Just a ton of great games.

What do you want them to discuss?

Pls more talking and less games.

You realise E3 is in 40 days right? Preparing for E3 must take like 6 months.

Pretty much sums it up. Phil Spencer is always talking because it seems like he's constantly doing damage control, while Sony are just letting the games do the talking. Not sure what they're expected to be talking about with E3 in a matter of weeks.

GlamFM

Banned
?

What do you want them to talk about?

They just released amazing games
They are leading in every way
The Pro is already out
E3 is just around the corner

Seriously.

What the fuck?

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
No point marketing if already selling like hot cakes. I'm sure E3 will bring surprises.

Nesther

Spencer's talking but he's basically saying nothing.

This. I'm very interested in what new games they have in store, especially coming from Rare (they're big enough of a studio to work on 2 projects I believe) but when Spencer talks, and even more so tweets, it's mostly a whole bunch of nothing. At least he's enthusiastic and somewhat charismatic.

Sonys silent approach is fine by me. The games have been doing the talking, and they seem to do fine that way.

DieH@rd

Banned
We can be sure that Sony will bring the goods on E3, TGS and PSX, but what we don't know if Sony will present anything new on summer conventions such as Gamescom and PGW. They ignored them in 2016 [which left them material to make PSX really great].

AzureFlame

tumblr_inline_mxl1wn16Cv1r4py0o.jpg

Sweep14

?

What do you want them to talk about?

They just released amazing games
They are leading in every way
The Pro is already out
E3 is just around the corner

Seriously.

What the fuck?

If I were in charge (and fortunately I'm not ☺) I would try to nip in the bud my competitor's initiatives and deny them even the slightest ounce of air to breath

Couple things. Why stop SSM indie publishing initiative? Where Sony see PSVR going beyond 2017?

Those are the job of games media.

I'm personally super annoyed nobody in the games media scene asked about Sony's changing indie strategy and aren't digging deeper into why Edith Finch moved to Anna Purna.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
And I can't think of many 1st party games being confirmed for any console this year.

The difference is, Sony has already showed their hand and that hand is incredibly diverse and full of potential. At this E3 they will hopefully release some 2017 dates [GTSport, Dreams, Detroit].

Are you trying to spin that they are showing their games 4 years before they launch as a positive?

Saying nothing is, often, the best approach when you're doing things right. Sony delivered a load of great games, their platform is strong and anything they need to say will be said at E3. What would breaking silence do?

Spencer talks but so far it's all been "games are coming" and "first party focus" which he has been saying for years and it's yet to come to pass. It sounds good and appeases fans but, ultimately, I'd be shocked if a platform holder wasn't making games, just depends on what those games are.

m00h

Banned
Someone who is not building up high expectations, can't disappointed too soon. I expect Sony to drop some unexpected stuff at the E3.
Meanwhile MS is blubbering a lot, building up high expectations, and may disappoint in the end.
If Sony is really onto announcing something unexpected, then their silence is pretty wise.

TsuWave

Is it just me or things have been very quiet recently on Sony's side ? I mean since PSX, they have been radio silent while MS with Spencer have been very active in gaming medias.

Is it a Calm before Storm situation we are witnessing or are they a bit overconfident with their actual position in the market ?

How does being quiet translate to being a bit overconfident? genuinely asking as I can't seem to make sense of that

Sony could easily do a Nintendo Direct style monthly show. I would watch it.
Just an overview of the games that will be coming to the platform with some other minor things like potential firmware updates, PSN sales, PS+ games, ...

Sony doesn't need to say anything. They are doing what they did at the E3 2016 conference and letting their games do the talking. Yakuza 0, Tales Of Berseria, Nioh, Nier, Horizon, 2 KH Collections, Gravity Rush 2 and Persona 5. Game after game after game all of them being received well by consumers and critics and none of them are on Xbox One, their competition. The message is clear - PS4 is bursting with big new games of different genres and styles and they're of a high quality. Their silence will break once E3 season is in full swing and there isn't anything that leads me to believe they won't knock it out of the park once again with their conference.

Microsoft is not in a good spot. They're launching a console that has more power than the PS4 but lacks the exclusive software right now. They're trying to shake off the stigma from the start of the generation and trying to assure people that they will be bringing big exciting games to consumers. They can't be silent because they don't have that luxury. E3 is going to be a big moment for them. They need exclusives, I don't see Scorpio succeeding on power alone and especially not when Sony is hitting it's stride like this. Microsoft reminds me of Nintendo in a lot of ways. They have a new console and a lot to prove. Only difference is Xbox isn't poison to Western third parties like Nintendo is.

That said most of what Phil Spencer says is basically nothing. It's fluff and the usual PR speak we've come to expect. Not to say it's all useless but I'd say quality over quantity would be great here. Especially when you have almost nothing to say at time.

wapplew

Those are the job of games media.

I'm personally super annoyed nobody in the games media scene asked about Sony's changing indie strategy and aren't digging deeper into why Edith Finch moved to Anna Purna.

Where's Kotaku and Polygon when we need them?
Not one journalist ask Sony/Nintendo executive what they think about game pass?

DieH@rd

Banned
Are you trying to spin that they are showing their games 4 years before they launch as a positive?

It's positive only in the way that purchasers have something to look up to. They know that many different genres will come to PS4. The negative is that the long wait can create unrealistic amount of hype.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bV8bZ053Aw

The saving grace for Sony is that PS4 is having very regular release schedule of both 3rd party exclusives [usually from Japan] and 3rd party games of all sizes [indie to AAA].

Mediking

Sony doesn't need to say anything. They are doing what they did at the E3 2016 conference and letting their games do the talking. Yakuza 0, Tales Of Berseria, Nioh, Nier, Horizon, 2 KH Collections, Gravity Rush 2 and Persona 5. Game after game after game all of them being received well by consumers and critics and none of them are on Xbox One, their competition. The message is clear - PS4 is bursting with big new games of different genres and styles and they're of a high quality. Their silence will break once E3 season is in full swing and there isn't anything that leads me to believe they won't knock it out of the park once again with their conference.

Microsoft is not in a good spot. They're launching a console that has more power than the PS4 but lacks the exclusive software right now. They're trying to shake off the stigma from the start of the generation and trying to assure people that they will be bringing big exciting games to consumers. They can't be silent because they don't have that luxury. E3 is going to be a big moment for them. They need exclusives, I don't see Scorpio succeeding on power alone and especially not when Sony is hitting it's stride like this.

That said most of what Phil Spencer says is basically nothing. It's fluff and the usual PR speak we've come to expect. Not to say it's all useless but I'd say quality over quantity would be great here. Especially when you have almost nothing to say at time.

And that's pretty much the irony of Scorpio.

Scorpio is supposed to be an answer to the nasty criticism that Xbox is underpowered and can't run games as good as PS4.

All that power..... now do something impressive with it.

Don't ignore single player games and burn your brand into a joke among hardcore gamers.

brawly

Never change, GAF.

I wonder why people say that. Could it be because Nintendo has had constant dry spells in recent years and Sony hasn't? No, couldn't be it.

big_z

Sony is buying up a ton of marketing deals for later in the year, most likely to help take the heat off scorpio. There's no need for them to talk now when in a handful of months you'll be praying for them to shut up.

The only thing that I question about sony is psvr. I have a feeling it will get the vita treatment.

It's never a positive but in the moment it makes people feel good about their console purchase. I have zero doubt they will being using the same tactic again this year.

Top Bottom