• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS HD Collection Vita screens

leng jai

Screens look a bit off and the color seems really washed out. Probably won't get this since I've already got it on PS3.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Maybe it's just me but I remember the PC version being a lot better ://

Will get just for MGS2 portable tho :eek:

Blablurn

its crazy that i will be able to play both games on a handheld. and even though i finished them a thousand times im looking forward to do it again

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Skipped the PS3 version for this. Hope I made the right choice. Really no excuse for this game not to have great IQ on the PSV.

Raonak

Banned
Vita games look horrible in screenshots when you put them anything but the vita screen.

Infact

PROTIP:look at this thread via the vita bowser to see how it would look.

Seriously. the screens do no justice on normal computer screens.
IQ and colours really improve tenfold.

looks extremely aliased. almost as bad as those Unit 13 screens.

looks great otherwise though. I wonder if the aliasing looks that pronounced on the Vita screen itself?

looks extremely aliased. almost as bad as those Unit 13 screens.

looks great otherwise though. I wonder if the aliasing looks that pronounced on the Vita screen itself?

UC:GA and Unit 13 look like washed out vomit off of the Vita screen. They look fine on it.

I would guess this would be no different.

XOMTOR

The colors and contrast do look great on Vita's screen. For sure, screenshots viewed on a desktop browser won't do them justice; however the aliasing is still very much noticeable even when viewed natively on the Vita.

PerZona

Definitely day one.

And these screens doesn't do any justice. On the OLED screen it will be much much better. PS Vita owners should know this.

MRORANGE

Still waiting for the PC version.

well Metal Gear Solid 2 does run in HD for pc, it's just a matter for all the rest (excluding mgs1) to come on board to the platform.

Ym3r0.jpg

AiTM

Banned
Definitely day one.

And these screens doesn't do any justice. On the OLED screen it will be much much better. PS Vita owners should know this.

THIS. when i looked at screens of uncharted and NG sigma...I thought they looked like jaggy handicapped cousins of a PS3 game...but when you see them on Vita its a whole different world. The beautiful orange falling leaves in Ninja Gaiden, and the stunning green foliage of Uncharted. It really is a different experience on the OLED.

Ran rp

Meh looks good to me, I've only played mgs4... Really need to play the others sometime!

Same here.

Vita games look horrible in screenshots when you put them anything but the vita screen.

Infact

Still doesn't look too hot.

RooMHM

Infact

Well, at least YOU look convinced :lol

Alchemy

If it ends up not running at native res and not containing Peace Walker when its released in the US I'll probably pass and try to find a PS3 version. Pretty disappointing.

beril

With all these people ready to defend sub native resolutions on Vita because it still look good on the small screen, and with the trend of most graphically demanding games (and even PS2 ports for gods sake) not rendering at native res, it kind of begs the question: did sony go overboard with the screen resolution?

Things will always look a lot better at native resolusiton, and if the GPU can't handle doing this kind of graphics in that resolution, would it have been better to ship it with a lower res screen (853x480 is fairly common in android devices for example, which I think is closer to the resolution here), would it have saved costs? Or is is it worth it for the games that do manage to render in native res?

You could argue that these are first gen games and it will look better once developers figure out the hardware; but if this generations of consoles is anything to go by, IQ is not what gets better further into the hardware cycle, more like the other way around.

Pranay

well Metal Gear Solid 2 does run in HD for pc, it's just a matter for all the rest (excluding mgs1) to come on board to the platform.

Ym3r0.jpg

lol seriously ?

its one of the worst ports i have played/

HD versions/Vita/PS2/PS2 Emulator would be better -_-

Durante

Infact

Vita games with bad IQ look horrible in screenshots. Vita games with great IQ look good in screenshots.

LaneDS

Infact

My Vita doesn't have a Bowser :(

SharkJAW

Vita games with bad IQ look horrible in screenshots. Vita games with great IQ look good in screenshots.

Pretty much this. Games like Uncharted look terrible in screenshots, but don't look bad on the Vita. OTOH, games like VT4 look great in screenshots and even better on the Vita.

Pimpbaa

Looks better than the 3DS version does IMO. The 3DS version may have touched up textures here and there, but those are meaningless due to the extremely low resolution of the 3DS screen.

That and some modern effects added. I think the 3DS version looks better despite the low resolution. *prepares for shitstorm*

edit: although MGS3 will probably look much better (than the 3DS version) on an actual Vita screen, not blown up screenshots.

Durante

That and some modern effects added. I think the 3DS version looks better despite the low resolution. *prepares for shitstorm*
From what I've seen the 3DS version runs at ~20 FPS. Even if it looked better in stills (which IMHO it doesn't, the resolution is just too low) it would still be an inferior product.

Wipe Out, Rayman (ok it's cheating), lots of vita games have a way better iq and i find Uncharted jungle background messy and ugly, but that's my opinion.

Have you heard of scale? Wipeout is a great looking game (30FPS) but is just constrained to a smaller environment so image quality can look better. Uncharted isn't graphically perfect but it's still the best looking game on the Vita as of launch.

Pimpbaa

From what I've seen the 3DS version runs at ~20 FPS. Even if it looked better in stills (which IMHO it doesn't, the resolution is just too low) it would still be an inferior product.

I'm comparing the actual game on 3DS to the stills from the Vita. Like my edit said though, it probably looks a hell of a lot better on a Vita due to the OLED screen.

theBishop

Banned
Uncharted screen captures look bad, Uncharted on the Vita through the OLED screen and it's by far the best looking launch title

Definitely true. Dynamic lighting doesn't show itself in screenshots, and Uncharted has the best I've seen on Vita. Also, the environments are more vibrant, with pretty normal maps and specularity. Wipeout's image quality is cleaner, but Uncharted's overall effect is much more impressive.

Thoraxes

That's why i just buy all of em. kojima takes my money every fucking gen.

I am 100% guilty of this too.

I buy all of them!

It's smoother in-gameplay. The cutscenes for some reason are guilty of this in there though.

Sagitario

I got the PS2 collection, the HD collection [PS3] and TTS. That's enough MGS backlog for now, so I won't be getting this anytime soon (if ever).

2) The remake that DOES exist, however, was created by Silicon Knights for Gamecube. Kojima wasn't too happy with Twin Snakes and its external development probably plays a role here as well. Porting this around probably has too many issues to deal with.

When did he say this? Link?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Thoraxes said:
It's smoother in-gameplay.
The gameplay was "smooth" 20fps in the demo - did they fix it in retail? Cutscenes were diving below 20.

brain_stew said:
No excuses.
While I agree, I'm already incredibly impressed by the amount of Japanese games on Vita using AA as it is - it's not something they've embraced on 360 or PS3 (let alone any other console).
Now if only someone could teach some Jpn studios about the existence of mipmapping (ClapHandz especially).

But yea - a PS2 running sub-native AND with AA disabled is just sad, the whole point of these re-releases is supposed to be IQ enhancements (and yea I realize several HD remakes on big-consoles got screwed the same way too -_-).

Top Bottom