• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

has anyone figured out how to get DeathWarrant's zoomy rockets(alt. fire) to work? the only difference I see is holding the button down for the same effect, no rockets are fired.

RagnarokX

I am guessing you can't snipe Talon? Or am I missing something?

You can snipe Talon. In fact, Talon is probably the easiest one to snipe because it's likely to be in the air where there is no cover. The thing with the sniper rifle is it charges faster if you are completely still, so there is a lot of risk using it, but it one shots if you can fully charge it. It can even kill Darkside with full health.

Sniper is simple. You aim at a target with it and a timer starts and a charge meter starts. The longer it charges, the more damage it does:
Body shot 16
Blowout 32
Gas Tank 60
Headshot instant death

If your line of sight ever gets broken, you lose your target and the meter starts over. Also, if you move the meter fills more slowly.

SparkTR

Love the sense of scale, the speed, and the destruction but holy fucksnipes do I hate the controls. Will the game ever have customizable setups? Or am I missing something in the options?

That's one thing that needs to be addressed in the future, not just with this game but with console gaming in general. As for the demo, you'll get used to it is all I can say.

I hopped on just a little while ago and the controls finally clicked with me. I'm still not very happy with them but they do work. It's still just really awkward.

RagnarokX

Thanks for this, I was waiting for the lock on before I fired...

It needs to lock on, and then once it's locked on you have to keep it locked on until it charges. You have to press fire to start the timer, then fire again once you got the shot you want. If they go behind an obstacle and block your laser sight, you'll lose your target. Either fire before you lose them to inflict whatever damage you have built up or try again with another target before the timer is up.

boosh5

Banned
Got in one round of online deathmatch tonight. Felt really good. Felt like a good progression from the play of Black and some of the aesthetics of TM2. Got a few kills and had a good time. There were a few things with the controls that bothered me and while they may be things I could learn to live with, maybe it's not too late for some things to be patched.

1. Reaper's alternate special - the aiming will not invert even after setting it in the options. Makes it weird to go from some aiming systems that do invert (like Talon's) to one that doesn't.

2. Quick turning - On fast vehicles especially, - Crimson Fury, Reaper - the quick turn turns too much. It's too easy to overshoot a 180 degree turn. Surprisingly, it seems easier to pull off an accurate 180 while using turbo. There's something about the extra sliding the car does while in turbo that gives you that extra second to process how far you have rotated instead of the spinning on a dime you do without the boost.

Anyway, these minor issues aside, I really like what I've played so far.

prwxv3

Some help here?

You can place the remote bomb on the enemy or place it as a trap and if you wait long enough it will turn red and do more damage.

The remote car will explode with enemy contact and it you hold trigger and max out the bar it does more damage and you can remote detonate it.

Someone already explained the sniper rifle.

Hey- bout to jump into a live video chat with SONYRUMORS at 3:30 CA/PACIFIC time.

It's live so if you wanna jump in and chat Twisted, ask questions, etc. please join us! :)

http://tinychat.com/sonyrumors

Hope to see some of ya'll soon!

David

Some help here?

Try to use richochet off walls, the more walls it hits the higher damage it does, alternatively hold down the fire button, fire, and fire again to detonate.

Sniper is press fire, stay locked on, press fire again.

Question...how do you use: -

1. Remote bomb
2. Ricochet
3. Sniper missile

And how do i change my lock-on to another target? I hate those Talons flying above. Can I shoot upwards with the machine gun (L2)?

I think clicking R3(right stick) changes targets. most of the controls are listed and explained in Options---->Controller.

The first thing i did was go to the singleplayer training grounds because you get all the weapon pickups with unlimited ammo to play with. it's a good way to get your head around the firing mechanics.

Raonak

Banned
im trying to do the offline challenge (can't get online :/)

are there health pickups, and if so; where? I can only manage to defeat one before dying.
EDIT: Nevermind. never realised they appear onscreen.

EDIT2: killed'emall.

love this game. good job jaffe and eat sleep play.

are there health pickups, and if so; where? I can only manage to defeat one before dying.

One in the church, a few on the roofs (I think on the theater and a parking structure), one in a General Store, and one in a swimming pool (Underwater effect is really cool). I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones I really remember. This demo stage is pretty damn huge.

If you are low on health and drive around I think a tiny icon onscreen shows where it is.

gibration

There are 9 health pickups scattered throughout the map. You should see a blue icon appear on screen or in your radar whenever you are near one.

EDIT: Nevermind. never realised they appear onscreen.

you can also get health refills by killing the driver/shooter after you destroy their vehicles. the driver will have a med icon over his head but the shooter wont.

BHK3

Banned
has anyone figured out how to get DeathWarrant's zoomy rockets(alt. fire) to work? the only difference I see is holding the button down for the same effect, no rockets are fired.

You haven't figured it out?

Notice on the alt special half of the bar is red? If you press and hold R2 then let go and quickly press R2 while it's in the red, another bar will come up and start charging.

Helscream

Banned
Damn, I almost forgot about a old ass interview David Jaffe had a while back. I am not too sure who has seen it, but it really cracks me up watching this interview considering it was probably at least made at 1996 or 1997.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS6HG_ZxwcI

Feel's damn good to play a game with old school mechanics, it actually takes skill to be good.

Yes, just beat the demo with Vermin, just find health pickups and try to corner enemies on rooftops and hard to get to areas. Learn the maps and also he extra health by running over your prey. Hope the bosses are hard too, because being scared and nervous on the edge is what TM is abouut.

*edit* One thin I am very curious about is: Are there special stage weapons on the game? Those were soo cool, like the pyramid laser.

Damn, I almost forgot about a old ass interview David Jaffe had a while back. I am not too sure who has seen it, but it really cracks me up watching this interview considering it was probably at least made at 1996 or 1997.

Ha, I remember accidentally unlocking that video in one of the first PlayStation Underground demo discs. I probably saw it a few dozen times, but I never knew the code to play the video, so I'd just mash on the buttons until it played. I guess I found it pretty fascinating at the time (was about... 11 years old?). Hell, it's still pretty fascinating to this day.. but for a different reason. Dat fro.

Turned on the demo for the first time and decided to check out the controls. Holy shit, I was instantly reminded of the Penny Arcade comic satirizing overly-complex and confusing control schemes.

Start: Pause
(Hold): SUPER PAUSE

Challenge mode is too hard, I can't connect to an online match, why is Square the accelerator button and how the heck do you reverse? Sloppy game judging by the demo

Finally got home to play this. I love it, I do think the 1P mode needs tweaking. There was always ganging up on you in TM but not like this. If you swoop past a pack they will stop attacking each other and gang up on you. Sure that is just a tweak though. I dont want them to just make it easier, I want to see those fuckers housing each other, not just me. I remember even in black you could see legit AI battles going on.

Controls are like I remember, looks like the analog stick controls were really changed though. I miss flipping the sticks to do a reverse. No biggie, the original TM controls are fine except the weird turbo reverse but I'm not going to use that.

Mikey Jr.

Challenge mode is too hard, I can't connect to an online match, why is Square the accelerator button and how the heck do you reverse? Sloppy game judging by the demo

Sounds like you really gave it a chance.

"How the heck do you reverse"

Yeah, don't do the training at all or anything.

rdrr gnr

Just some tips for those who are still struggling with the A.I.:
  • Take out the easy targets first: the sports car and the motorcycle.
  • Memorize health locations: there is an area by the stadium/hospital/grocery market that has 3-4 health packs in the immediate vicinity.
  • Use your secondary wisely and keep your distance.
  • Attempt to isolate enemies on rooftops: try the hospital third-floor.
I died about 5 times in a row until I beat it with Outlaw.
Sloppy gamer, perhaps.

Kaizer

Banned

You do know there's other control options in the Options Menu right? I switched my controls to Race Mode and it plays fine for me. Forward is R2/Reverse L2 like the normal standards today.

elohel

tried getting into games for 10 minutes straight wouldnt let me so i decided to play the single player

fucking freezes on me

Sorry didn't read the whole thread, do they know why people can't connect with the MP server?

I tried to connect about 10x last night and again 3-4 times today and it never works.

Feel's damn good to play a game with old school mechanics, it actually takes skill to be good.

Really liking this new game....but I still hope for a suped-up TM2HD, that to me would be nostalgic rush of pure awesomeness. I like these newer, more realistic and darker slants on the series. But I still have a fondness for all that cartoon zaniness of the 2nd. The giant flying skull, the teleport pads, the rumbling bowling ball bomb all of it.

In the words of Celine Dion "It's all coming back to me now" =)

p1010957y.jpg

Freeze then Crimson Fury's special fully locked on is soooo good. Finally getting used to the controls and I'm starting to jump to avoid mines just like back in the day. Still havent tested online yet, will do so tomorrow if I can get into a match.

Hulud

That is completely untrue. You really think Batman didn't need a tutorial? And Uncharted's entire first levels are tutorials.

This. Those games force you to slog through 1hr+ long "tutorials". Twisted just compresses that into something you can complete in 2 minutes and keeps it separate from the rest of the game. I found this type of tutorial refreshing and concise.

Alex

I can't kill shit vs bots unless I am Death Warrant, haha. Anything lighter and I just get dogpiled and reamed, anything heavier and I can't get away between skirmishes.

Gotta keep at it, but I already know I'm buying it now so maybe I'll just wait. It's so rough, it feels like the top end difficulty in black but without the co-op mode I beat it in.

adelante

Oh my fuckin gawd, I LOVE IT. Never played any Twisted Metal game since TM4 (only to go back to TM2 cos the co-op there just felt that much better, heck even rebought it on PSN jus so me and buddy can relive those days) so the convoluted controls, the feel of the vehicles, the specials and powerups etc really takes me back...Felt right at home with the classic TM button setup. And daaamn the AI's fuckin ferocious! Surprised I was able to take out half of them before I died in my first try lol

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Finally got into some more games tonight. I've gotta say that as I play other vehicles I'm starting to get the hang of how each handles differently. Still don't care for the super fast ones though. Give me a medium speed, medium armored vehicle and watch me demolish though.

Something doesn't feel right quite with the Nuke mode. It feels like rounds need to be longer, or the capture time needs to be quicker. I'm not sure.

Maybe it's because it seems like it demands teamwork and a lot of demo players aren't accustomed to it yet.

Deathmatch is a blast. I'm already buying a lot this month, but I'll try and squeeze this in.

Helscream

Banned
Well I FINALLY was about to get online and play 3 matches of Nuke. Game ran really smooth and the online seem to have non-existant latency. The game really shines you you have 16 players trying to blow each other to hell. So damn addicting and this is just the demo. Can't wait for the full release. DAY 1 JAFFE! BRING IT ON!

Edgeward

Even when I'm placing 8th-12th in DM the game is a blast. Can't say that about a lot of other games. I need this game in my life. Still couldn't get into a nuke game but I'll try tomorrow.

Top Bottom