• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frostbite Technical Director on why Frostbite never came to Wii U

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems they did give it a shot and didn't like the performance they were getting.

Given the engine doesn't run so hot on PC dual cores and needs a hard drive install on Xbox 360 to not look like ass, and honestly doesn't run super well on the 360/PS3 in general, this probably isn't overly surprising.

The original conversation between Frostbite Technical Director repi and Teletuby Hitler is as follows:

frostbitewiiufzucz.jpg

Source: https://twitter.com/repi/status/331549012022927360

R3TRODYCE

"I guess your "test ended around the same time as the "unprecedented partnership"

HEY OOOOH! Right in the kisser!

Yeah, since Frostbite 3 is mostly a direct upgrade of Frostbite 2, and a lot of the changes are on the development side.
Ah, okay. And yes, then this is relatively unsurprising if the engine is as described, quite CPU-intensive.

I wonder how they deal with the Jaguars on the PS4 and Durango.

gngf123

This is what I hear when I read that:

We had no idea how to get anything out of the system so we didn't bother

Seriously, the thing is more than capable of running it.

Also, dat last tweet.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wait, going by those tweets, it doesn't have completed Frostbite 2 either? Or am I reading that wrong?

They tried running Frostbite 2 on it, apparently it wouldn't run too well.

Which is a bit WTF since the We 2 is nothing but small step-up from PS3/360, isn't it? And those run Frostbite 2 with no major (outside of system freezes) issues.

JordanN

Banned
I wonder when the myth of "hardware power has nothing to do with third party support" will end. So much evidence but I still see people plug their ears and go "lalalala can't hear you".

prag16

Banned
Ah, okay. And yes, then this is relatively unsurprising if the engine is as described, quite CPU-intensive.

I wonder how they deal with the Jaguars on the PS4 and Durango.
Here we go with this dead horse again.

The jaguars will be fine and espresso would have been fine too. EA is a lost cause with regard to the Wii U. Even after admitting to having backed the wrong horse last gen.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Which is a bit WTF since the We 2 is nothing but small step-up from PS3/360, isn't it? And those run Frostbite 2 with no major (outside of system freezes) issues.

To our knowledge the GPU is a straight improvement, the memory is larger but lower bandwidth, and the CPU might be worse.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
DAT SALT with the last tweet. I didn't find it funny. Just childish.

Heh it was pretty funny, considering how Ea intiated the unprecedented partnership and yet, they didn't bother running frostbite 2 on the wii u, despite it running similar level engines. Regardless of your view on the wii u, you gotta find Ea bullshit funny

Also kinda ironic using the term salt and calling someone else childish.

Thread is now about "dat last tweet".
Nah, this thread is now about how Wii U owners know more about the Frostbite 3 engine than DICE.
I bet it ran fine on Wii U until EA and Nintendo got into a fight.
Did they do their test pre or post hardware boost for the Wii U Dev kits?
So Cryengine can run on Wii U... But there engine FB2 and 3 can't and its too powerful for Wii U. B S.... Major B S.
Translation: "Lazy port wasn't going to run perfectly so we gave up."
Seriously, the thing is more than capable of running it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I wonder when the myth of "hardware power has nothing to do with third party support" will end. So much evidence but I still see people plug their ears and go "lalalala can't hear you".

I haven't heard anybody say that in months.

Meelow

Banned
Nintendo and EA fighting remind me of little kids fighting.

EA: "We want you to do everything I say!"
Nintendo: "But you want us to make Origin our main platform for Wii U, we can't do that, sorry.
EA: "WHAT!!!???"
Nintendo: "You heard us"
EA: "Our partnership is over! We won't give your stupid Wii U anything!"
and so on...

KKRT00

Eh, people respond to normal quote in such way and then are complaining why devs are talking to fans without PR behind their back ...

Repi is very cool guy, anyone who hates him can go to hell.

gngf123

It is a step up from the PS3/360, but the hardware is pretty different. It is far more GPU focused for starters. It's part of the reason why the early ports ran very poorly - they were running mostly off the weaker CPU (Batman, in particular)

I almost think that their tests were basically that. A straight port to test the thing out, and that was it.

Nah, this thread is now about how Wii U owners know more about the Frostbite 3 engine than DICE.

I'm not a Wii U owner, and not a huge fan either. I just know the hardware is capable of more than the other hardware that already runs the engine just fine. It really isn't that much of a statement to make.

Top Bottom