• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

jediyoshi

Minor update
# New in 1.6.4b:

GX2: Fixed a bug where the bilinear filter option would fall back to no filtering at all

It runs perfectly aside from the occasional stutter here and there.

The stutter goes away as the shaders continue to get generated/cached as you play. It's the same issue Dolphin has
https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/42u4d8/dolphin_and_microstuttering_an_explanation/

Though the devs have gone on to say an async solution like ishiiruka on Dolphin wouldn't work with Wii U games

I didn't realize that after watching a bunch of gameplay videos of various games in the emulator with people saying the games looked on part with the Wii U versions, that they really meant on par. Emulator seems incredibly barebones at the moment. Hopefully it eventually gets various graphics options like Dolphin's got for rendering at higher resolutions and whatnot.

Pretty impressive though, considering that like I said earlier, I remember not too long ago games weren't running all that well in this.

Damaniel

Banned
I finally figured out how to rip games and tried out Xenoblade Chronicles X. I'm very surprised how well it runs. It has some initial, fairly severe, stuttering issues, but they stopped fairly quickly and I was maintaining 30 FPS more or less constantly (at about 40% CPU usage). There are still some graphical glitches (like glowing rocks!) and the music portion of the audio is way too quiet, but it's right on the verge of playable. Considering that the game barely ran and had tons of glitches even just a few releases ago, I'm amazed how far things have come in such a short time.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I finally figured out how to rip games and tried out Xenoblade Chronicles X. I'm very surprised how well it runs. It has some initial, fairly severe, stuttering issues, but they stopped fairly quickly and I was maintaining 30 FPS more or less constantly (at about 40% CPU usage). There are still some graphical glitches (like glowing rocks!) and the music portion of the audio is way too quiet, but it's right on the verge of playable. Considering that the game barely ran and had tons of glitches even just a few releases ago, I'm amazed how far things have come in such a short time.

But that's a feature! Finally cutscenes with good audio.

What are your specs?

Copper

How exactly does the touch pad functions work?

jediyoshi

How exactly does the touch pad functions work?

Otherwise it's tab to view the gamepad, ctrl+tab to toggle. Mouse click to touch. You're always able to click on the screen so you won't even need to swap views (in mirrored games) to interact with the touch parts. No ability to separate the screens at the moment.

There are no functions you don't have access to.

jediyoshi

New Patreon post.

Shader caches will become forward compatible with newer versions (don't need to regenerate them every new version, most stutter you run into is shader generation) and transferable between computers.

VRAM usage will be improved.

New version early January, another large feature to be revealed then.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
New Patreon post.

Shader caches will become forward compatible with newer versions (don't need to regenerate them every new version, most stutter you run into is shader generation) and transferable between computers.

Lol, beating the Dolphin crew to the punch.

LilJoka

New Patreon post.

That is amazing.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Tried this on my PC, expecting the emulator to not even start, like many emulators on Retroarch. Specs are 4670k stock, GTX760 ti, 8 GB RAM and a 7200 RPM HDD.

NSMBU: playable, mostly 60 fps without much trouble.
NSLU: not as smooth as NSMU, maybe it's because you have to play faster.
SM3DL: very smooth, had trouble when lighting effects appear on screen, but completely playable.
Mario Kart 8: playable, smooth but sometimes stutters. Only played 50cc.
Captain Todd: same problems as the other Mario games, but since it's a slower game, plays better.

Couldn't run Xenoblade Chronicles X and Donkey Kong TF, will try again later, but I'm really surprised I can even run this games, let alone them being as smooth as this. Very excited for the January update.

If I go fullscreen, it slows down considerably, so I have to play windowed.

jediyoshi

Lol, beating the Dolphin crew to the punch.

Yeah. Philosophically I can see why they wouldn't want to go this route, but for the end user, this basically solves the issue Dolphin's most popular fork addresses. Curious how big users sharing shader caches will get. Legally grey, but it doesn't seem any moreso than uploaded save games or regular media (or the absolutely giant model rip/share community).

Crazy how quickly this emulator is coming along. Wish other emulators for much older systems had as quick development as this. N64 games still don't run perfect but Im willing to bet this will in just a few years.

Can anyone tell me what this shader cache shenanigans is, and why its a good thing?

This is honestly the most exciting thing in gaming for me right now. Can't wait for this emulator to be fully functional.

Honestly, I'm pretty excited for this as well. I own 2 Wii U's (one I use every day and a spare one), but when this is fully functional the first thing I'm gonna do is try to boost Super Mario 3D World to 1080p with some noise anti aliasing options. The game is already impressive on the Wii U, so this will probably blow me away.

Blam

Yeah. Philosophically I can see why they wouldn't want to go this route, but for the end user, this basically solves the issue Dolphin's most popular fork addresses. Curious how big users sharing shader caches will get. Legally grey, but it doesn't seem any moreso than uploaded save games or regular media (or the absolutely giant model rip/share community).

That shader caches thing could possible remove the consistant stutter on MK8.

jediyoshi

That shader caches thing could possible remove the consistant stutter on MK8.

It will assuming the user goes to manually download them if they don't want to rebuild it on their own. Otherwise it ensures that on downloading a new version, it won't cause any more stutter than the last time they played.

Blam

It will assuming the user goes to manually download them if they don't want to rebuild it on their own. Otherwise it ensures that on downloading a new version, it won't cause any more stutter than the last time they played.

Yeah true plus they aren't that big either now so it should be fine. Would like maybe a way to compile all shaders first run that would work better.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

I think it's actually one of the proposed solutions, there was also talk about mega-shaders or something, like a big compilation that you download that has all the shaders pre-generated

jediyoshi

I think it's actually one of the proposed solutions, there was also talk about mega-shaders or something, like a big compilation that you download that has all the shaders pre-generated

Ubershaders. It's a more ideal solution because it deals with the problem further up the chain, but again, for the end user Cemu's solution does away with the problem entirely granted the user is willing to either download a 'complete' cache or don't mind the initial stutter.

But that's a feature! Finally cutscenes with good audio.

Problem is the cutscenes don't work. The beginning one in particular. The game itself runs fine though which is amazing.

The Cemu team gets nothing but props from me they have made amazing strides very quickly. I'm definitely hyped.

jediyoshi

Next version to release on the 9th. New feature revealed day before.

My guesses based on nothing
r/w amiibo support
Internal AF support
New GUI
Splittable gamepad display
Some combination of the proposed graphics backend features:
MSAA/Antialiasing
Tessellation
Conditional Render Queries
Shader Storage Buffer Objects (SSBO)
Compute Shaders

-shadow-

I'd love to be able to use CEMU, but my PC can barely run some games in Dolphin. The idea of Bayonetta 2 at 1080p/60fps someday however is just... Wow!

Ambition

I just discovered this and holy fuck it's already running games at full speed. This emulator has progressed hella fast

nkarafo

Next version to release on the 9th. New feature revealed day before.

My guesses based on nothing
r/w amiibo support
Internal AF support
New GUI
Splittable gamepad display
Some combination of the proposed graphics backend features:
MSAA/Antialiasing
Tessellation
Conditional Render Queries
Shader Storage Buffer Objects (SSBO)
Compute Shaders
I hope it's something about shader compilation stutters.

It's the No1 issue most people want fixed atm. And the fact that they hold the information as a last day surprise means it should be something most people are waiting for a long time.

ss_lemonade

When running this on a laptop with switchable intel/nvidia gpus, make sure to force it to use your nvidia card. It was defaulting to intel on mine.

Other than that, I have only tried it with Super Mario 3d World and it is running very well on my laptop (i7 6700hq, 970m).

Incredible, developers of emulators are amazing!

I remember when this emulator appeared out of nowhere, it's made so much progress so quickly!

Peterthumpa

I hope it's something about shader compilation stutters.

It's the No1 issue most people want fixed atm. And the fact that they hold the information as a last day surprise means it should be something most people are waiting for a long time.
Here's hoping for (finally) resolution options. Should catapult Cemu's popularity exponentially.

roytheone

god dam this going fast. where gonna have wii u emulation before ps3 as this rate!

Well, there are many commercial games that already run near perfect on this emulator, while there are almost none for ps3 emulation. So I would say we already have wii U emulation before ps3 :)

dsk1210

Custom resolutions tomorrow.

MK8_4K.png

Excellent.

Vuze

Can't wait to see this for myself. The difference in image quality is amazing. Hands down one of the best things emulation has to offer.

Top Bottom