• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So im thinking of getting my wife a 2DS

Ashtar

So my wife has been obsessed with pokemon recently, bought the season one DVD's and Season 2 and has been playing a lot of pokemon go. She loved pokemon cards as a kid but never played a pokemon game, I wanted to get her a 2DS and pokemon sun or moon.

I know a new 2DS is coming out in July but I dunno if she needs any extra features and a refurbished one costs 60 bucks.

Just for reference my wife does play games off and on and loves RPGs but mainly WRPGs like Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

So the question is should I just get a refurbished 2ds or wait for the new 2ds in july

Hard to beat $60, but that new 2DS is amazing. It's basically the definitive edition of the system. I'd personally wait for it.

Also, grats on having a super cool wife with impeccable taste.

As an adult, I would think she'd want something that can actually close, but it's hard to argue when there's a $90 difference between your two price points...

Mesoian

So my wife has been obsessed with pokemon recently, bought the season one DVD's and Season 2 and has been playing a lot of pokemon go. She loved pokemon cards as a kid but never played a pokemon game, I wanted to get her a 2DS and pokemon sun or moon.

I know a new 2DS is coming out in July but I dunno if she needs any extra features and a refurbished one costs 60 bucks.

Just for reference my wife does play games off and on and loves RPGs but mainly WRPGs like Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

So the question is should I just get a refurbished 2ds or wait for the new 2ds in july

Keep in mind, a lot of the people I know who got into Pokemon Go real hard HATE the original games. They're too much of a video game and not enough of an activity to engage with. Just keep in mind that with pokemon, especially modern day pokemon which are super complex under the hood, YMMV

That being said, that new Dragon Quest 2DS XL is a sexy thing.

Rellik

Keep in mind, a lot of the people I know who got into Pokemon Go real hard HATE the original games. They're too much of a video game and not enough of an activity to engage with. Just keep in mind that with pokemon, especially modern day pokemon which are super complex under the hood, YMMV

Agreed, but he did say she's enjoyed games like Fallout 3, so I think she'll be fine with Pokemon.

Ashtar

I thought they were pretty easy and had a lot of QoL improvements?
Also she likes videogames and cute stuff so i think she'll enjoy it
but i can't be sure...... I'm planning on buying a switch later this year anyway.... so maybe i should just be frugal and buy the cheaper one since she might not like it and if she wants to play more on it i can upgrade to the 2DS XL

OP, do you have a 3DS already? Easy to test her out on one of the original games on 3DS VC. Though those are a little clunky by today's standards. Still fun games.

Gators300

Banned
Got my wife a 3DS a few years ago for Animal Crossing. She loves it and now has a Switch for Mario Kart and is highly anticipating a new Animal Crossing game. She just started Minecraft as well.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Does it have to be 2DS? You have more options going the 3DS route.

Ashtar

OP, do you have a 3DS already? Easy to test her out on one of the original games on 3DS VC. Though those are a little clunky by today's standards. Still fun games.
Nope I only have a Wii U, also I planned on getting her Sun or Moon, or should I get her the remakes? I heard they were kind of clunky and Sun and Moon are big upgrades, like weaknesses etc
Edit: doesn't have to be 2DS... I'm not knowledgable about nintendo portables at all, what are my other options?

Mesoian

I thought they were pretty easy and had a lot of QoL improvements?
Also she likes videogames and cute stuff so i think she'll enjoy it
but i can't be sure...... I'm planning on buying a switch later this year anyway.... so maybe i should just be frugal and buy the cheaper one since she might not like it and if she wants to play more on it i can upgrade to the 2DS XL

I mean, certainly compared to the older ones yes. But the types, the breeding, the unseen nuance with the combat, it gets more and more robust and complex every iteration to the point where I don't really like engaging with it as much as it feels like there's too much that I can't figure out without a very in-depth guide.

That being said, I may jump back in with Pokemon Stars on the Switch if it's more than just a resolution upgrade. But for people who's first Pokemon was Pokemon go, even Sun and Moon, which at the surface level are much friendlier than the older game boy games, were far too much of a game for casual gamers. Just putting that out there.

Massicot

The new 2ds is a clamshell!

new-nintendo-2ds-xl.png

Edit: whoops, I skimmed the thread and thought the OP brought up not being able to close, not a response,

Ill keep the picture there though because tbh it looks really nice I think. Probably going to get one myself.

Gator86

I'd say current 2DS. The price is really reasonable and I'm sure the new 2DS is going to be shipped in line with a Nintendo-like solution (e.g., incomprehensibly stupid shortages).

Weevilone

I like the old 2DS form factor. The clamshell designs aren't ergonomic enough for my hands.

I just wish the new 2DS was like the old one but with larger screens.

Just get an original 3DS XL and switch off the 3D effect. Or if you specifically want the c-stick and ability to play SNES VC games, get a New 3DS XL. Both options are cheaper than the new 2DS.

Ashtar

Just get an original 3DS XL and switch off the 3D effect. Or if you specifically want the c-stick and ability to play SNES VC games, get a New 3DS XL. Both options are cheaper than the new 2DS.

I doubt she's gonna want to play snes games so maybe the 3ds is the better option but i guess I have to get the XL? and I guess the charger comes separate? does a XL have a bigger battery life? or just a bigger screen?
Edit: yeah I'll probably get animal crossing as well

Ashtar

Okay now I'm trying to decide between 3DS and 3DS XL...... it's 30 dollars for the upgrade, but i don't think my wife would actually use it ......
I'm still not sure what are the upgrades besides a bigger screen....

Mephala

I actually prefer the XL's larger size. It is more comfortable for me though I know some people disagree. The regular 3DS fits into pockets easier.

The XL has larger screens but image quality doesn't increase with it. Just the size. Some people actually prefer the look of the smaller screens. I kind of do too but I value comfort more. Battery is in the XL's favour but not by much. It shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Guess Who

Banned
People are making you way overthink this.

Do you want the cheapest thing your wife can play Pokemon on? Then just get a regular 2DS.

Want to get her something a little nicer? Get the "new" 2DS XL when it comes out.

Really, really serious about getting this whole getting-her-a-3DS thing? Get her a "new" 3DS XL.

Stopdoor

I can understand making it a cheap gesture so it doesn't seem like you're pushing it on her too much.

Really, the 2DS is fine, if she complained about the form factor it might just be a positive indication an upgrade to a different model wouldn't be a bad idea.

Cerium

I would wait until E3 to see if anything comes of the Stars rumors before investing in new hardware just for Pokemon.

I mean, certainly compared to the older ones yes. But the types, the breeding, the unseen nuance with the combat, it gets more and more robust and complex every iteration to the point where I don't really like engaging with it as much as it feels like there's too much that I can't figure out without a very in-depth guide.

That being said, I may jump back in with Pokemon Stars on the Switch if it's more than just a resolution upgrade. But for people who's first Pokemon was Pokemon go, even Sun and Moon, which at the surface level are much friendlier than the older game boy games, were far too much of a game for casual gamers. Just putting that out there.

It's super easy to play, everything your describing is 100% unnecessary to beat the game. Surface level pokemon practically plays itself nowadays.

Ashtar

I went ahead and got the 3ds so she could have a clam shell
If she likes it she likes it if not I'll give it to a niece or nephew
I don't want to wait till July because by then she might have moved on to a new obsession lol

Spyware

I went ahead and got the 3ds so she could have a clam shell
If she likes it she likes it if not I'll give it to a niece or nephew
I don't want to wait till July because by then she might have moved on to a new obsession lol
Aww, I was just gonna write a love letter to the 3'2DS. I even play more on the two 2DSes I have than my New 3DS.
Sun/Moon is a perfect Pokémon game to start with btw!

I really hope she likes it and I think you're cool for doing all this!

Ashtar

Aww, I was just gonna write a love letter to the 3'2DS. I even play more on the two 2DSes I have than my New 3DS.
Sun/Moon is a perfect Pokémon game to start with btw!

I really hope she likes it and I think you're cool for doing all this!
Jeez I wish you guys were around earlier before everyone convinced me to buy a 3ds...... maybe this random guy on eBay will let me cancel my order ?

Guess Who

Banned
Jeez I wish you guys were around earlier before everyone convinced me to buy a 3ds...... maybe this random guy on eBay will let me cancel my order ?

I would definitely not buy an original, non-XL 3DS if that's what you're talking about. I hated mine when I had it - much worse build quality than the XL.

City 17

I'd say go for the new one.

Get her some of those fine ds/3ds puzzle games while you're at it, my mom doesn't even game (ever) but likes Picross and the likes.

Spyware

(I have no idea where the "3'" thing came from, i meant to just write 2DS the first time)

I think it's gonna be fine whatever you get but I am seriously in love with the 2DS and sad to see people bash it. Ergonomic and cheap without feeling cheap. Balanced weight and good looking screens. Sound is also better than expected.
Also, without the clamshell design you don't have the extra (super tiny) risk of pinching a cable in the hinges. That happened to my SOs New 3DS. He switched to a 2DS so he didn't have to worry about it happening again.

Ashtar

(I have no idea where the "3'" thing came from, i meant to just write 2DS the first time)

I think it's gonna be fine whatever you get but I am seriously in love with the 2DS and sad to see people bash it. Ergonomic and cheap without feeling cheap. Balanced weight and good looking screens. Sound is also better than expected.
Also, without the clamshell design you don't have the extra (super tiny) risk of pinching a cable in the hinges. That happened to my SOs New 3DS. He switched to a 2DS so he didn't have to worry about it happening again.
I got a refund for the 3ds gonna just get the 2ds and I then hopefully a switch later this year
The saga continues wu tang wu tang

Mr-Joker

Banned
The one thing about the original 2DS that no-one has pointed out is that it only has mono speaker and the only way to get stereo sound is via headphone.

The other 3DS and Super 2DS family have stereo speakers.

fireflame

Regular 2ds for the win, the few exclusivities are not worth the extra cost.Pokémon is a nice add, maybe she will want to discover oras which i enjoy because of the amount of legendary pokémon avilable, and why not xy later, though you may find this useless as you can get the whole pokdéex through trade with a single game.No WRPGS but great rpgs overall, i suggest trying smt4 and apocalypse, the devil survivor series, and why not fire emblem games if she can enjoy tactical jrpgs.

But yeah, i have a 2ds since 2014 and i do not care about people calling me cheap for doing this move, think of the games you can get with the money saved.

volcarona

I'd say get the refurbished regular 2DS. With that money you saved, you can try some more different games; don't restrict yourself to just Pokemon.

Feel like the original 2DS is the best way to go seeing as you aren't sure how into it she'll be and she doesn't really have a point of reference. very cool and thoughtful idea though, can't think of a much better system to get into gaming with than the 3DS and it's super diverse and gameplay-focused library

2DS also comes preinstalled with Mario Kart 7 a lot which is another great title for someone not into games

Top Bottom