• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam axes submission process, ALL new pubs/devs must go through Steam Greenlight.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
...and even if you have a game on Steam, it doesn't necessarily let you bypass Greenlight:

Greenlight FAQ said:
Who should submit their games to Steam Greenlight? Is there another way to submit my game to Steam?

Steam Greenlight has replaced our previous submission process. Any developer or publisher who is new to Steam and interested in submitting their game to the platform should submit their game through Steam Greenlight.

(chubigans edit: the "only new devs" isn't necessarily true as many indie devs who have games on Steam are being asked to go through Greenlight for their new titles, such as Wadjet Eye games.)

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about/?appid=765%A7ion=faq

This is so dumb I don't even know where to begin.

Eusis

This is so dumb I don't even know where to begin.
If Modern Warfare 4 goes through it'll be worth it for the hilarity.

But yeah, it's kind of problematic. Seems like it'd be better for augmenting, not displacing the approval process.

Anustart

Greenlight announced for indie games - "YAY, this is SO COOL!"

Greenlight announced for everyone - "OMG FFS this is SO DUMB!"

Zia

Really disappointed in Valve. They're determined to have little to no customer or developer support for a service they keep expanding.

Silex

So Activision will have to submit their next Call of Duty through Greenlight? Fine with me then.
What a shitty move

kadotsu

Banned
Is it really that hard to curate your store by yourself, Valve? Crowdsourcing should only augment your process not replace it.

Detox

Not surprising plenty of shit developers already have games on stream, they can just be paid to 'publish' another devs game and it would probably be way easier then trying to drum up support for your game through online communities.

Bisonian

"Any developer or publisher who is new to Steam and interested in submitting their game to the platform should submit their game through Steam Greenlight."

What am I missing?

epmode

This is actually a reasonable belief if you'd think about it for more than 5 seconds.

"Any publisher or developer who is new to Steam" ...

What am I missing?

For one thing, Wadjet Eye isn't new to Steam and they're stuck with Greenlight for their next game. Also, Greenlight is awful for finding good games that may not have a mobilized fanbase.

Actually "Yay, this is a good start" - I wasn't expecting Steam to use it for all their submissions; the problem was suppose to be Steam couldn't review all the submitted games in a fair way.

Now its just them saving money and generally providing a lesser service.

Interfectum

Any developer or publisher who is new to Steam and interested in submitting their game to the platform should submit their game through Steam Greenlight.

^ I'm not seeing what's wrong with this. Why the meltdowns?

Because it is

Steam need some kind of filter for the countless number of new unknown indies who no doubt solicit their games for sale.

Known devs shouldn't have to go through the same process.

That said, this news makes me happy as it means GOG might start to see more new games.

then again they might go to desura/origin/gmg

Wunder

Bizarre. It does say "any developer of publisher who is new to steam", so are previous publishers exempt from greenlight?

nvm. This is really weird.

DenisQc

"Any developer or publisher who is new to Steam and interested in submitting their game to the platform should submit their game through Steam Greenlight."

What am I missing?

so it could be for new developers and publisher, for their first game ?
and then for the next ones the old way and not greenlight ?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't this announced as soon as Greenlight was born? This is only for developers who haven't released other games on Steam, and are totally new to the service.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I guess I'm asking where it says that considering it specifically does not say that right there on their FAQ. What am I missing?

Well, there's a lot of anecdotal evidence that some major indie devs are already being put through the Greenlight process despite having successful indie titles already on Steam. So I would say that FAQ isn't actually accurate.

Bizarre. It does say "any developer of publisher who is new to steam", so are previous publishers exempt from greenlight?

No. There's people who have games on there already and still have to go through Greenlight. Wadjet Eye games is an immediate example that comes to mind.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
this just means that if you're small no matter how many games on Steam you have - you have to go through Greenlight anyway.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The fuck? Will Greenlight then still be limited to 10 games a batch?

Im_Special

There are already a few tweets now from already established indie dev's that are saying that they are being forced to go through Greenlight even though they already have game(s) on Steam. That is why this little meltdown is happening.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Greenlight is terrible, it's not my job to evaluate games without playing them.

Put the work in Valve.

ok

*puts in the work*

"C'MON VALVE GET OFF YOUR ASS AND FINISH HL3"

oh ok

*finishes hl3*

"REAL FUCKIN' GREAT VALVE NOW I GOTTA UPVOTE ALL THESE ZOMBIE GAMES MYSELF"

shit sorry

*gets back to self-evaluating*

"ARE WE GETTING RICOCHET 2 OR WHAT???????"

*valve exits game business to make eyes for replicants*

Just to make it clear for everybody, the title of this thread does say all new publishers and developers, which doesn't mean the next Call of Duty will have to go through the Greenlight process.

Joni

Something something open and flexible platform something something catastrophe?
I really doubt this is a good idea.

bkane

Neo Member
The old submission process (which lived here) was shut down on July 9th when Greenlight was first announced. Yes, that means there was a period of about 6 weeks where there was simply no way to even apply for Steam. Greenlight has been the only route for developers new to Valve to get their titles on Steam since then.

Bisonian

Well, there's a lot of anecdotal evidence that some major indie devs are already being put through the Greenlight process despite having successful indie titles already on Steam. So I would say that FAQ isn't actually accurate.

If you follow the link, from a twitter post, to the page from Primordia it sounds like Steam declined the game, not just summarily kicked them to Greenlight. It's at least one case that is extremely anecdotal.

Not to white knight Valve here, but to make a jump from this to assuming Black Ops 3 is going to need to be on Greenlight is asinine. There is still a submission process, of course there is. Some indie games will continue to get declined and passed off to Greenlight, as was the plan all along. Just seems like massive overreactions up and down this thread and an overly sensational thread title.

Interfectum

The OP states everyone is being forced through Greenlight now, even the publishers already on Steam. The tweets starting this thread are from an established publisher.

The major publishers won't be going through the greenlight process. This is still targeted towards indie developers. I'm not seeing the cause for panic.

Top Bottom