• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 > PS2

The current rise and fall of the PS3 has made me think about the Sony's other two consoles and how much I liked them, and I came to this conclusion.

I like the PS1 more than the PS2.

I can't really explain it much, although I think the fact that Wipeout 2097 was the reason I bought a PS1, and Fusion was a raging pile of shit is part of it.

Also, I think certain developers/publishers that I got attached to during the PS1 era, had weaker output or got less creative on the PS2.

Square's output was more interesting on the PS1. After The Bouncer and Driving Emotion and the merger, they didn't really experiment as much on the PS2, so we didn't get those weird gems like Einhander, Xenogears, Parasite Eve or even Chrono Cross. FFXII doesn't make up for all that.

SCEE's stuff on the PS1 was leagues ahead of what they have produced on the PS2, unless you like Singstar. I think Psygnosis's games were pretty much the reason I got a PS1. I have fond memories of Wipeout, G-Police, Rollcage and Colony Wars. Now they're just a shell of what they were. Dropship was like their last creative gasp, I think.

EA's output was infinitely better on the PS1. The 3D Strike games, Crusader, Theme Park, Theme Hospital, Wing Commander, the joy of 3D sports games in their infancy, etc. Sure, some of those were PC ports, but I loved them anyway.

Capcom's output on both consoles is sort of even. I'd say the same with SCEI.

On the flip side, SCEA's PS2 output is leagues ahead of what they did on PS1, regardless of how much you like Twisted Metal or Jet Moto. I also think Konami's PS2 stuff is slightly more varied and interesting than what they did on the PS1.

So yes; discuss.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
We have got 2 Metal Gear Solid on PS2 against just 1 on PS1. Therefore PS2 wins hands down.

God of War, Shadow of Collosus, Ico >>>>>>>>>>>> Anything by Sony, Square or Capcom on PSOne

Lol who am I kidding, Einhander rocks!!! And Need for Speed High Stakes and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit!!! Man PSOne was awesome

Big-E

I think the PS2 was better overall then the PS1 but I will say that the PS1 had more memorable RPG's than its older brother.

TTP said:
We have got 2 Metal Gear Solid on PS2 against just 1 on PS1. Therefore PS2 wins hands down.
Well, I think Konami did better on the PS2. But, MGS on the PS1 has something the other MGSs don't have - David Hayter doesn't ****ing exhale at the end of every sentence.

btrboyev

God of War, Shadow of Collosus, Ico >>>>>>>>>>>> Anything by Sony, Square or Capcom on PSOne

^^ not really.

All of those games you've mentioned above are 1st party games which i would agree that sony did a better job with ps2, but there are many games on ps1 that are better than those games. Its all subjective anyways.

ps1>ps2 for me.

first three resident evil games pretty much manage that by themselves. the ps2 just got a couple of expanded ports and side games.

jumping jack flash (or whatever those were called). the first hot pursuit. vib ribbon. tomb raider. metal gear solid. tony hawk pro skater. silent hill... the ps-one more so than the ps2 felt like a place where all these great franchises were born.

ps2 had of course it's fair share of new franchises, but nothing close to the ps-one.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Doom_Bringer said:

Lol who am I kidding, Einhander rocks!!! And Need for Speed High Stakes and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit!!! Man PSOne was awesome

That's just like, your opinion, man!

btrboyev

S1 had the best launch (first three months) of any system to date.

thats B.S. The dreamcast had a much better launch lineup.

I still don't know why people thought the ps1 launch games were better than the saturns.

Toshinden vs VF. At the time Toshinden was considered better due to the graphics but now VF holds up so much more.

Daytona on saturn was technically flawed but it was still a better racer than ridge racer. And saturn had panzer dragoon which was better than any ps1 game in the same time frame. I also feel the saturn had a better holiday lineup in 95 as well.

oreelios

ToxicAdam said:
PS1 had the best launch (first three months) of any system to date.

PS1 wins.

So the following 5 years of any console are unable to match the first 3 months of PS1? This is horribly flawed logic.

putting 2D games on the side... the PS1's 3D games have aged really badly

when compared to 16-bit SNES and Genesis games that aged well... the PS1 3D games are really difficult to look at.. aged like vinegar

Square's pretty lousy output on the PS2 really does hurt it in comparison to the PS1.It's a damned shame they didn't capitalize on the demand of some of their franchises such as Parasite Eve or Chrono on the PS2. FFXI is also partly to blame, as that took up an assload of resources.

However, I'd say a some devs had better output on the PS2. Capcom for instance introduced Onimusha, Devil May Cry, Okami, and God Hand. Atlus is also way more prolific, PS2 is the first console to have SMT games brought stateside.

PS1 was indeed excellent for new IPs though, I doubt we'll ever see another console with as many new franchises as the PS1.

tanod

when is my burrito
Mr. Pointy said:
Square's output was more interesting on the PS1. After The Bouncer and Driving Emotion and the merger, they didn't really experiment as much on the PS2, so we didn't get those weird gems like Einhander, Xenogears, Parasite Eve or even Chrono Cross. FFXII doesn't make up for all that.

QFT! I still enjoy some of what they put out but WTF happened to Square?

X26

Banned
Tekken 3, Tomba, Gran Turismo, FF7, Ave Combat, Tomb Raider, PaRappa, Final Fantasy Tactics, Xenogears, Crash Bandicoot, MGS, Resident Evil, Castlevania SOTN, Silent Hill, Spyro, Twisted Metal, Tenchu, etc. PS1 was pretty f'n awesome

Link316

Banned
PS1 > PS2 right now, too many of my PS2 games are compilations :p

but I think PS2 will end up edging out the PS1 in the end though

Playstation 1 was heaven for me. So many great games I have played on it. Abe's Oddysee, FF7, 8, 9 BoF3, Tomb Raider. SotN, Tombi, Spyro, MGS, Wild Arms, Crash Bandicoot2/3, lot of rpg's..
Glad to see more people knowing that the PS1 was indefinitely better than the crappy PS2.

These last 4/5 years, everytime I visited a gameshop or an electronica store, the gameracks were full of awful games. Seriously, 80% of the ps2 library is movie-licensed shitgames or some type of army/soldier action game. Worst era of gaming was this gen.

JayDubya

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
PS1 had the best launch (first three months) of any system to date.

PS1 wins.

Wait. What? PSX launch games were the shittiest shit that was ever shat. System looked like a joke. Walked past the Battle Arena Toshinden display at Best Buy, laughed, picked up Warcraft II, and walked out.

Thought it was going to be a dead system, and then Square jumped ship, and then I knew I'd be having to get one eventually.

Square Enix has had a stronger showing on PSX though, so I guess that era still wins, but the launch was shit.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I agree with Square getting less creative and SCEE not really doing much. That being said, I think the PS2 > PS1 by a good green mile. People can hate on EA, but, they publised a ton of good games: the Def Jam series, The TimeSplitters Series, Everything or Nothing, NBA Street, and some other ones that I can't think of at the moment >_>...

Capcom did more with the PS2 I thought. Even though it was a port, they did give us RE4 as well as Code Veronica X and the outbreak games. They also published Killer7, Okami, GodHand, and the Viewtiful Joe games. Even though Onimusha 1 started on PS1, we got that and the rest of the series, which were excellent. Oh, and can't forget the Devil May Cry series and chaos legion.

Konami made the best Metal Gear games on PS2 , the ZoE series, and the Silent Hill games.

Outside of the big companies, their were some small gems like Psychonauts and Rez. I do agree that PS1 was the starting era though. I just don't think it was better by any means.

keanerie

Obviously, Square's output on PS1 was incredible. Three FFs, PE, Vagrant Story and FFT? Their games for PS2 aren't even in the same league, aside from FFXII. It was just an awesome time for RPGs. Capcom, on the other hand, really flourished on the PS2 - all their major new IPs started there, what has really put them back into gamers' minds happened on PS2 (and GC to some extent).

Personally, nostalgia and the RPGs on PS1 put it over PS2 for me. But PS2's sheer quantity of great titles across genres can't be denied, either. But really, there's no point in thinking about which is better when you get them both in one box.

LJ11

JayDubya said:
Wait. What? PSX launch games were the shittiest shit that was ever shat. System looked like a joke. Walked past the Battle Arena Toshinden display at Best Buy, laughed, picked up Warcraft II, and walked out.

Thought it was going to be a dead system, and then Square jumped ship, and then I knew I'd be having to get one eventually.

Square Enix has had a stronger showing on PSX though, so I guess that era still wins, but the launch was shit.

Tekken, Warhawk, Wipeout, Gameday (It was good at the time), Twisted Metal, and Ridge Racer sold me a console in December of '95.

Tough call between the two, but I enjoyed my PS1 JRPG's more than I did on PS2. Coupled with Square's offerings, I'll give the slight nod to PS1.

The real question is, SNES/NES or PS1/PS2?

Big-E said:
I think the PS2 was better overall then the PS1 but I will say that the PS1 had more memorable RPG's than its older brother.
Haunted_One said:
I like the Final Fantasies on PS1 more than those on the PS2.

Completely agree with both of these. Square's stuff on PS1 really made the system for me.

Einhander, Tobal 1/2, Final Fantasy 7/8/9/collections, Front Mission 3, FF Tactics, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve-- doesn't get much better.

Link316

Banned
JayDubya said:

whatever, Toshinden killed the Saturn so it got the job done, it was put side by side with VF and made the Saturn look like a joke

Luken

I had more fun playing Spiderman 2 for PS1 than Spiderman 2 for PS2.

work_seo3.gif

You couldn’t swing freely through the city, but the levels were challenging and the fight against the villains were awesome, especially the fight against Sandman.

:)

lets wait until 2008 before we call "PS3" the fall of Sony. yeah PS3 has its problems now but things could change.

much hinges on the PS3 vs Wii battle in Japan and who gets Dragon Quest X.

if PS3 does stumble badly, Sony can always come back next-gen with a PS4 that is more of a custom console, less of a PC, with more graphical performance than the highest-end PC cards (like PS1 and PS2 were at the time) low-cost storage system and $300~$400 price. those are, in my mind, the main things causing PS3 to seem bad right now.

Zweisy1

I think PS1 hardware was more impressive for its time.

However.. Cave shooters, Gradius V, VF4 Evo, RRV, DMC3 and Okami make the game lineup of PS2 better than its predecessor . Square RPGs have never been a big factor for me..

The Playstation was definitely awesome. Overall I'm not sure I like the PS2 offer at all...I don't know, I have the impression that it doesn't appeal me as much.

JayDubya

Banned
LJ11 said:
Tekken, Warhawk, Wipeout, Gameday (It was good at the time), Twisted Metal, and Ridge Racer sold me a console in December of '95.

Tough call between the two, but I enjoyed my PS1 JRPG's more than I did on PS2. Coupled with Square's offerings, I'll give the slight nod to PS1.

The real question is, SNES/NES or PS1/PS2?

For RPGs?

NES / SNES, no question, especially if you factor in unreleased Famicom / Super Famicom games like all the Fire Emblems, Dragon Quests, and Final Fantasies.

Plus, the ones that were released here were generally top notch, and includes Chrono Trigger, which almost makes that era of RPG gaming win on its own merits, but with FFIV and FFVI, it wins in a landslide. If only we'd gotten "Dragon Warrior V" here.

Ryck

No freakin way... well for me anyway the fact that "next gen" is here and Im still playing my Ps2 way more than any other system says alot. When Dreamcast came out my ps1 disappeared into my closet, let alone when Ps2 came out.

Mr. Pointy said:
the joy of 3D sports games in their infancy,
Did you play said 3D sports games? Cause there was little joy... I woulda used growing pains

LJ11

Jaydubya, I was speaking in general terms, not genre specific. However the PS1 had some mighty fine RPG's, very comparable to the SNES but maybe not beyond it.

MoxManiac

Personally I think PS2 shits all over PS1. This was confirmed when I started playing PSX games recently on PSP.

I can't really think of a genre that PS1 does better, aside from maybe SRPGs (Tactics Ogre is singlehandedly swinging SRPGs in PS1's favor)

I definitely agree that square side of has been worse this gen, but the enix side is pretty good with DQ8 and of course VP2, a sequel to the best RPG on PS1 (VP)

Plus the fighting genre was crap on PS1 due to not being able to handle capcom and snk's stuff properly; PS2 is worlds better with the SF collections, CvS2, MvC2, KOFs etc

I've played a lot of individual PS2 games that outclass PS1 stuff, such as GoW, DMC3, God Hand, etc. And then there's the musou series, one of my favorite new ips of last gen.

Bulla564

Banned
I believe the PS2 has been blessed with more AND better games than the PS1. We are talking about the generation of MGS2, GTA3, SH2, GT4, AC4, SotC, God of War, Okami, ZoE2, etc etc etc (and it keeps delivering).

With that said, I can say I probably played and enjoyed the PS1 more, based on my age at the time, and based on the novelty and awesomeness of 3D PS1 games.

Remembering the first time I popped in MGS1, Gran Turismo, Silent Hill, my Tomb Raider 2 playthroughs, etc, are memories as fond as the day I discovered masturbation.

cedric69

MoxManiac said:
Personally I think PS2 shits all over PS1. This was confirmed when I started playing PSX games recently on PSP.
I don't think the OP's point was that PS1 games were better than PS2 games. I think he's more concerned with the overall experience the two consoles offered *when they were current tech*.

Or, at least, that's the only way a thread like this can escape the nostalgic vein...

JayDubya

Banned
LJ11 said:
Jaydubya, I was speaking in general terms, not genre specific. However the PS1 had some mighty fine RPG's, very comparable to the SNES but maybe not beyond it.

In general terms, not just RPGs? Kinda hard for me since that's generally all I buy.

But in general terms, NES / SNES still has three legit Marios and three Zeldas, all of which are awesome, not to mention the two Metroids and four action Castlevanias and the classic Megamans.

Yeah, doesn't change my opinion really. N64 had some great games but I'd give the edge to PSX due to great RPG content, including Symphony of the Night, as well as Metal Gear Solid and the three Resident Evils. We can argue which had the better graphics or the merits or demerits of load time versus media cost, but N64 RPGs and games in general were shorter and had less content, which was a mega downgrade from the SNES.

And like I said before I think the PSX era had an overall stronger RPG line up, so I give it the edge over PS2.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I totally agree... PS1 had a much better selection of RPGs and some other classic games in all genres (the fighting genre and the shooting genre weren't all but dead on PS1, for instance)... PS2 is when I feel gaming started to leave me and my tastes behind... too much licensed drivel, urban gangsta games, free roaming titles, and western style FPS/squad based shooters. The last 2 years have been good for the PS2 but the first few years there wasn't really that much interesting on the system, for me.

Flo_Evans

you really think the RPGs were better or do you think its cause you were younger and more into that type of game?

I bet people will say the same shit at the end of ths gen.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
PS1 had a stronger stable of "classic" RPGs.

but PS2 has the stronger stable of "good amount of good games in every genre"

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Flo_Evans said:
you really think the RPGs were better or do you think its cause you were younger and more into that type of game?

I bet people will say the same shit at the end of ths gen.

Yes, I do... With the exceptions of DQ8 and VP:S, I'm finding very few PS2 RPGs I liked nearly as much as some of the PS1 titles. And I was about 17-18 in the heyday of the PS1, so it's not really so much nostalgia.

Top Bottom