• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hudson Q&A session now in progress

Well, it's been a while since I've been gaffing, so I thought I'm come on and chit chat a bit with folks. If ya'll have any queries about what Hudson is up to lately, or anything else for that matter, I'm here to discuss!

Rlan

What's next for XBLA since Omega 5 and Bomberman Live has been released?

will BONK make a new appearance? Adventure Island?

batbeg said:
Bomberman WiiWare - spill the details. :p

I should probably also make clear, I can't spill the beans on EVERYTHING. But I can at least throw a few beans on your face.

Yes. It's coming. Details are still being finalized. It will be different than Bomberman Live. But it's still the classic Bomberman, if you catch my drift. It's probably one of the few classic games we are bring out on Wii Ware, but digital download is really where Bomberman shines.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I have an idea rather then a question, make Bomberman for Wiiware playable for up 12 players. 2 on each of the 4 Wiimotes and then 4 GameCube controllers.

DOOO IT

Reilly

Any new Bonk games? Air Zonk on VC?

Is that PS2 Bonk Remake ever coming stateside in a Hudson collection?

edit:

For the collection, please include:

Bonk's Adventure
Bonk's Revenge
Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure
Super Bonk
Air Zonk
Bonk PS2 Remake

batbeg

John Master Lee said:
It's probably one of the few classic games we are bring out on Wii Ware,

That's kind of sad, I think, but understandable I guess. Is there anything you can confirm like an ETA or online? Either way I'll be there for it :)

Rlan said:
What's next for XBLA since Omega 5 and Bomberman Live has been released?

will BONK make a new appearance? Adventure Island?

Here's one way to address this question. If you were to list out your favorite top 5 classic Hudson games, and pound us like you regularly do, and if we get the hint, then you can expect to see those games come back to life in some shape or form, including on XBLA.

For XBLA specifically, we already did a classic game (Bomberman), a new IP (Omega Five). The next one is a licensed game. I'm sure more is coming on that.

batbeg said:
That's kind of sad, I think, but understandable I guess. Is there anything you can confirm like an ETA or online? Either way I'll be there for it :)

It's not too sad, because what that means is we are working on all new concepts and new game ideas! Wii Ware allows us to do some more interesting smaller game concepts that we normally couldn't do, so it's fun to experiment.

Don't be sad panda.

Good to hear about Bomberman.

Wondering if Super Star Soldier R is just a score based game, or is that just an extra like the old games?

batbeg

John Master Lee said:
It's not too sad, because what that means is we are working on all new concepts and new game ideas! Wii Ware allows us to do some more interesting smaller game concepts that we normally couldn't do, so it's fun to experiment.

Don't be sad panda.

Good point! Happy panda now :D

Reilly said:
Any new Bonk games? Air Zonk on VC?

Is that PS2 Bonk Remake ever coming stateside in a Hudson collection?

edit:

For the collection, please include:

Bonk's Adventure
Bonk's Revenge
Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure
Super Bonk
Air Zonk
Bonk PS2 Remake

I tell you what, if you really want to dig into some good dirt on Bonk, then you'll have to listen in on some recent podcasts I did. I go into detail on Bonk about some interesting things happening behind the scenes. It's really quite fascinating.

With that, I'll let you treasure hunt!

As for that PS2 Bonk, yeah that was a pretty cool game. We were looking at bring some of those remakes on PS2 to the US, though it's coming close to the end of that console's lifecycle, so no final decision has been made. But we have been evaluating how to do it. Quite frankly, some of those games require some additional coding to localize, which apparently isn't so straight forward.

Chibbi Brady said:

Wondering if Super Star Soldier R is just a score based game, or is that just an extra like the old games?

Ditto, is there anything more to SSR than just the 2 and 5 minute single level time attack stage? Is it really a full SS game in the vein of its predecessors?

Kafel

Banned
What about Dungeon Explorer ?

Supposed to come to 360. Can we expect it to join the XBLA party ?

edit :

easier : Will Far East of Eden 360 come stateside one day ?

Chibbi Brady said:

Super Star Soldier R for Wii Ware is a unique game. It's a lot like Pacman Championship edition, in that it's a time based attack mode, where you prove you can get the highest score.

The whole concept originated many years ago on the Hudson Caravan. A traveling showcase Hudson did around Japan where hundreds of thousands of people would come out, meet celebrities, play games, and compete (Bomberman, Star Soldier, etc). One of the original Star Soldier games featured a 5 minute mode, specially designed for competition. And we'd used that to prove who was the best out there. That mode is designed to be very complex, and there are many ways to rake up combo points, so trying to master it requires some testing out of different attack patterns.

Anyways, it was hugely popular in Japan, so this updated Wii Ware version was originally planned just for that market. We're evaluating bring out for the US, since most people have never heard of Star Soldier, or the 5 minute mode or the Hudson Caravan.

Or 16-shot. But that's for another thread.

Kafel said:
What about Dungeon Explorer ?

Supposed to come to 360. Can we expect it to join the XBLA party ?

Wow. Good memory. Yes at one point we were working an a 360 version of Dungeon Explorer. However, the game has been shelved because quite frankly the quality wasn't there. It just didn't look next gen enough.

Doesn't mean it won't ever see the light of day again, but it's not actively in queue. Could potentially migrate to XBLA one day though. It would make a killer XBLA game, wouldn't it?

Ranger X

Will Hudson ever update their emulator for Virtual Console?

Let me explain. The NES, SNES, GENESIS and NEO-GEO emulators can display the game in the original resolution with the scanlines everything. Only the TG-16 emulator does not give us the real original resolution. It looks like it doubles the graphic lines to get rid of the scanlines. This cause the overall look of the game to be blurry. Problem is, the idea behind the VC is primarily to emulate as perfectly as possible and i can't understand why this resolution detail has been overlooked. Every single other dev that did an emulator could give you the option to play in the original resolution except you guys.
Now, i'm a bit VC user and i LOVE playing the game in their more accurate form as possible. I don't want to play blurred Hudson games. Could you PLEASE, PLEASE (i meant it), raise this issue with the people concerned?

Thank you alot.

Will the Tetris release on Wii Ware have region-locked online play, or will we be playing matches worldwide? On that same token, is this a title we can expect during the launch of Wii Ware, or has that not yet been determined?

IzumiK

Banned
John Master Lee said:
Wow. Good memory. Yes at one point we were working an a 360 version of Dungeon Explorer. However, the game has been shelved because quite frankly the quality wasn't there. It just didn't look next gen enough.

Doesn't mean it won't ever see the light of day again, but it's not actively in queue. Could potentially migrate to XBLA one day though. It would make a killer XBLA game, wouldn't it?
Man, those portable versions look really bad. Ditch the 3D sprites and just make hi res top down gauntlet style Dungeon Explorer.

batbeg

How about PSN stuff? Those XBLA titles you're mentioning, are any bound for the PSN as well, or are there any unique titles bound for it, or is it just a sort of off the radar platform at the moment?

TehOh

Can you divulge a few more details on the Tetris Online WiiWare game that you're doing?

Is it strictly standard Tetris? Any new gamemodes? Do we have to use friend codes?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
batbeg said:
How about PSN stuff? Those XBLA titles you're mentioning, are any bound for the PSN as well, or are there any unique titles bound for it, or is it just a sort of off the radar platform at the moment?

This is what I was going to ask. Anyway, I got one is there going to be any more DLC for Bomberman LIVE and any DLC at all for Omega Five?

Jackson

Let me make an original, new title on the bomberman license and I'll make you millions.

And if you ask me to make "Bomberman: Drawn to Life" I'll shoot you.

Those weren't questions

Reilly

John Master Lee said:
I tell you what, if you really want to dig into some good dirt on Bonk, then you'll have to listen in on some recent podcasts I did.

If you make Air Zonk 2 (or any new Bonk game), I will drive across the country and huge you.

John Master Lee said:
Super Star Soldier R for Wii Ware is a unique game. It's a lot like Pacman Championship edition, in that it's a time based attack mode, where you prove you can get the highest score.

Thanks for that, I love score based shooters so I'm definitely in, nice price as well. I really hope you guys have seen enough success with the VC releases to ensure that it gets released in the rest of the world. Be a damn shame if it was a JPN release only.

Emotions said:
Any chances for Bomberman Story DS RPG US release?

No, there's currently no plans to bring Bomberman Story to the US. When we took a look at Bomberman Land and Bomberman Story, it became clear the Bomberman Land franchise was much more fun, and fit better with US tastes, so we brought that one over. There's just so much more content in that series, not to mention having the full classic battle mode built in to boot.

I think you'll agree.

Rlan

John Master Lee said:
Anyways, it was hugely popular in Japan, so this updated Wii Ware version was originally planned just for that market. We're evaluating bring out for the US, since most people have never heard of Star Soldier, or the 5 minute mode or the Hudson Caravan.

Wait, so you're not sure whether or not Star Soldier R will make it out to other countries? Are people not doing what the XBLA does and release it for every (or almost every) possible country in the world?

Why the hell not? It's not like anyone ever heard of "OMEGA 5" since it wasn't a franchise - people at least know Star Soldier since the Virtual Console is filled with the games.

Rlan said:
Wait, so you're not sure whether or not Star Soldier R will make it out to other countries? Are people not doing what the XBLA does and release it for every (or almost every) possible country in the world?

Why the hell not? It's not like anyone ever heard of "OMEGA 5" since it wasn't a franchise - people at least know Star Soldier since the Virtual Console is filled with the games.

It's not that simple. Quite frankly, not every game on XBLA gets released worldwide. Same with VC, and Wii Ware. Each territory has their own launch process, and it's not just a simple turn the switch on. Other times there are localization issues.

I can't speak for all publishers, but at least for Hudson we try to at least see if there's market interest first. People always say that they wish we'd just release every one of our classic games on every platform all the time, but you'll often see that only certain games sell well in certain territories.

I remember a conversation with a friend of mine regarding the Worms franchise, and he just didn't understand why that game wouldn't sell on console in the US like it would in Europe, where it's a mega hit. It's a great game, and people who play it in the US love it, but end of the day, not every game fits local tastes.

Crisis

Banned
batbeg said:

This is the question I want answered.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
This is true, international publishing does get segmented on all of the downloadable services, just ask the PSN Types who still have not recevied Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix yet.

Dwayne said:
PSN? Anything?
Edit: It's not just me!

PSN - Well one thing seems certain, there's more PS3 owners out there than there were last year:) Looks like Sony is making a nice little comeback.

Yes, eventually we'll do something for PSN. Hudson and Nintendo have a very close partnership, so we typically will lead with their platform first. We decided to move into the XBLA space because Microsoft really did a great job building a digital download service that is robust, and at the time Sony simply hadn't gotten their service off the ground yet. Now that it's doing much better, and looking more impressive each day, we are looking at bringing some franchises over.

Top Bottom