• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bruce Straley Leaves Naughty Dog

Where do you think Bruce Straley will end up next?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Fuck, the last good director of Naughty Dog has left... ND no longer one of my top studios

Bet he didn't like ND's new approach to games turning them more into interactive movies with gameplay last focus

ND was first gameplay since Crash to Jak

It would be best if you actually read what he said instead of making ridiculous posts like these.

Wozman23

Curious to see if he stays in the game industry, maybe founding an indie studio.

I imagine it has to be extremely hard for any truly creative individual to exist in the ever-expanding, risk averse realm of AAA.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Fuck, the last good director of Naughty Dog has left... ND no longer one of my top studios

Bet he didn't like ND's new approach to games turning them more into interactive movies with gameplay last focus

You forgot way of the warrior

Artanisix

looks like he left because naughty dog is hamstringing his creative vision

oh wait this isn't an employee leaving valve so i shouldn't make shit up

good luck bruce!!!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
last-us-interview-neil-druckmann.jpg

But seriously looking forward to his future endeavors

Thanks for all of your work at ND, Bruce! Read Blood, Sweat, and Pixels and appreciate everything you gave to help make UC4 the game it is!

Endo Punk

Lost Legacy was a remix of Uncharted games, if it were a numbered game I feel it would be treated like UC3 which is a very divisive game. The new blood need to create something substantial to convince me that a Druckmann or Straley can be replaced.

Zukkoyaki

Definitely a bummer but Bruce should take care of himself, he's more than earned it.

The directors of Lost Legacy are probably going to helm Naughty Dog's next new IP. The opportunity of a lifetime.

entremet

Best of luck to him. I enjoyed his work on TLOU.

Also, people leave jobs all the time. Not sure why the alarms on that.

Kayant

After such a long time I wonder if he wants try something new outside gaming.

Wapplew bait post style is the new trend it seems huh.

Honestly anyone who's played The Lost Legacy won't be worried. ND is a big place and Kurt has really stepped up lately, I'd love to see him take on more.

Boke1879

Lost Legacy was a remix of Uncharted games, if it were a numbered game I feel it would be treated like UC3 which is a very divisive game. The new blood need to create something substantial to convince me that a Druckmann or Straley can be replaced.

I loved UC4 and LL just does it better. UC3 wasn't really divisive either. People just didn't think it was the proper way to close out Drake's Story.

SlickVic

He will be missed. I replayed Uncharted 4 to completion this past week and was reminded what a masterpiece that game is. From the combat/gameplay to the writing, it was just such a spectacular experience all around that IMO improved so much on its predecessors. The Lost Legacy was fantastic as well, but there's always going to something special about Uncharted 4 for me. When U4 was announced I felt it was an unnecessary sequel (thought the Drake story wrapped up decently well in U3), but I'm glad I was proven wrong.

Best of luck to him on whatever he decides to do next.

LiK

Definitely a bummer but Bruce should take care of himself, he's more than earned it.

The directors of Lost Legacy are probably going to helm Uncharted's next new IP. The opportunity of a lifetime.

They did an amazing job so I look forward to what they do next.

Eh, the only thing they did was rehash UC4.
They expanded on a lot of gameplay ideas from UC4 and improved them across the board.

You could swing on ropes in UC4 but there is a lot more to it in TLL and its a lot more fun. Same with the large non-linear expanse - plenty of driving, swimming and worthwhile exploration that UC4 lacked. Even the puzzles are actually interesting and somewhat difficult, and there's more of them.

And of course the pacing.

Its a solid piece of work that imho improves on UC4 in almost every way. Not a rehash at all.

Straley always said the right things in interviews I've watched, but I think ND is still top tier if TLL is any indication.

Zukkoyaki

Soooo what happens if they lose Druckmann too? He's probably going to head all the games right? or is there another person? I'm immediately reminded of this new article. Jason Schreier has heard it's impossible to find senior leads due to mass dev burnout

In any case, if he wants to leave, he deserves it, and even if he didn't that's still his choice, and a correct one. Fantastic work. Not his fault how the gaming industry is.

Naughty Dog has a history of promoting from within. Bruce and Neil worked their way up, as did Amy and Justin before they left. The guys who led Lost Legacy also were lower on the rung at one time.

They'll be fine.

Catvoca

Banned
I imagine the insanely long and demanding crunches that Naughty Dog go through would be enough to burn most people out on working there after a while.

Good look to him, I hope he stays in the industry.

After reading Blood, Sweat and Pixel I can understand why he left.

Thanks for making some of my favourites games, best of luck in the future.

labaronx

Naughty Dog has a history of promoting from within. Bruce and Neil worked their way up, as did Amy and Justin before they left. The guys who led Lost Legacy also were lower on the rung at one time.

They'll be fine.

Exactly in his post he speaks about his humble beginnings as a design artist on ctr

Top Bottom