• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker) is amazing aka suggest me more recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludovico

Made this fall soup to share at Thanksgiving dinner.
All those ingredients? Dirt cheap right now.
Also, here's something a little more savory that's also extremely cheap.

Instant Pot cooks through completely dry beans without issues. Come home, saute onion and garlic using the saute function, throw a buncha beans/corn/tomatoes and veggie stock in, less than an hour later I have a hot meal and plenty of leftovers. Excellent purchase.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Instant Pot would be a great idea from Amazon.com now that weed is legal in California.

I was thinking thank God they put pressure cooker in parentheses or this thread woulda have been over before it got started.

I had a co worker that used to live by using these. I never used one but here they are great for meats.

SpecX

Going a second night using this and going to cook up some Chili Verde tonight. Figure I can make the sauce on the side while the meat sears int he pot, mix it together and let the pressure cooker do the rest of the work. Going to use the same recipe we always go with, but want to see how the meat comes out being cooked this way instead. Hoping for more infused flavors in the meat.

ReAxion

Going a second night using this and going to cook up some Chili Verde tonight. Figure I can make the sauce on the side while the meat sears int he pot, mix it together and let the pressure cooker do the rest of the work. Going to use the same recipe we always go with, but want to see how the meat comes out being cooked this way instead. Hoping for more infused flavors in the meat.

Check this out: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...fast-and-easy-chicken-chile-verde-recipe.html

It's probably going to be the next thing I make.

Made sausage and bean soup, almost the entire 6 quart pot. Great to find whatever was almost going bad in the fridge and throw it in.

xFMUVGk.jpg

DJ_Lae

My go to recipes for my instant pot are still pulled pork (chunks of pork blade roast, or butt, or whatever it's called in your region, plus liquid and spices), chili, and bolognese.

If anyone has suggestions on slow cooking with it, however, I'd take them. I find it's far hotter than my old slow cooker and I need to add significantly more liquid, even on the low setting.

Just made that last night actually. Was really good, but following the recipe exactly (with no liquid) my Instant Pot didn't reach pressure. I had to add a cup of water to get it going.

I'm actually surprised the recipe doesn't call for any liquid - generally you need almost a cup to pressurize a regular stovetop pressure cooker, so I can't imagine relying on the juices in meat (which might - might - total half a cup for a whole chicken once the cooking is done). I have a rocker style pressure cooker and I'd imagine that recipe would burn before it pressurizes.

i got one of these recently and only really make rice with it cause it still makes like 12 cups in a fraction of the time it would normally take. generally i oven bake chicken after marinating it-- but I'd love to take out meat defrosting time with this thing too. Can I just throw frozen chicen breasts, a little water and some italian marinade in this thing for 20 min on high? judging by these posts it's that easy O_O

RedAssedApe

Banned
the one thing that does annoy me a bit is the cleanup. tips for getting rid of the smell from the lid? lol

i got one of these recently and only really make rice with it cause it still makes like 12 cups in a fraction of the time it would normally take. generally i oven bake chicken after marinating it-- but I'd love to take out meat defrosting time with this thing too. Can I just throw frozen chicen breasts, a little water and some italian marinade in this thing for 20 min on high? judging by these posts it's that easy O_O

newbie here as well. i did this the other night. just tossed a bunch of frozen drumsticks with a mix of water and teriyaki sauce. pressured cooked for 20 minutes using the poultry setting. came out pretty good. nice and tender.

mike6467

I'm pretty no-nonsense with my diet and eat a lot of the same stuff.

This thing is a miracle for chicken, rice, quinoa and the like. I've been throwing frozen boneless/skinless chicken thighs in with some white wine and chicken broth and they come out in a delicious broth perfectly tender.

The quinoa (1 minute) is decent, but it's a little softer then I like, still for the convenience it's worth it. Next I have to find a way to make a ginormous pot of veggies that turns out well and 90% of my diet is covered.

As I'm sure you could tell by my previous recipes, I choose the ones with the least amount of ingredients and prep time possible. Here's my lazy person's non-spicy chili I made last night, using my Nesco PC6-25 Digital Pressure Cooker:

Ingredients
  • 1 lb. of ground turkey
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes*
  • 1 can of corn
  • 2 cans of beans (I used red kidney beans)

* I used a can with Italian Herbs & Spices flavoring, but there's also canned tomatoes with jalapenos mixed in, which would probably be good if you like some heat.

Directions
  • Turn the pressure cooker to Brown setting and sautee the ground turkey for ~8-10 mins until brown
  • Add all the canned stuff (drain the corn before adding, but don't drain the beans or tomatoes)
  • Add a pinch of salt & pepper, stir everything together
  • Close lid, pressure cook on High for 12 mins
  • Be careful when using quick release vent after its done -- my cooker released a shitload of steam. Let sit for a few mins.
  • Put in a bowl and add some shredded cheese on top
  • Enjoy

Of course it isn't gonna be winning any chili contests, but it's damn good for how easy and cheap it is. I use the Kroger brand canned ingredients because they're only 79 cents each. The ground turkey is like 3 and a half dollars for 1 lb. at my local Ralphs.

Slevin

I have this unit and used the slow cooker option to make pulled pork sandwiches last night.

- 4lbs pork shoulder
- Baby Ray's Sweet and Spicy BBQ 18oz
- Liter of A&W root beer
- Garlic salt and pepper

Put the pork shoulder and fill with root beer in the instant pot and choose slow cooker on low. Cook for 9 hours.

Take pork out and empty the bowl. Pull the pork (I use 2 forks) and throw it back into the cooker and mix with salt and pepper and bbq sauce. Put setting to 'keep warm' for 15 minutes then serve on warmed onion buns and coleslaw.

Took me maybe 10 minutes of total prep time, really easy.

Phreaker

the one thing that does annoy me a bit is the cleanup. tips for getting rid of the smell from the lid? lol

When I store it, I do so with the lid upside down so it can air out. If I just clean it and seal it back up it smells like what I made the previous time next time I go to use it.

DJ_Lae

It's the silicone ring that's absorbing odours - and I don't think you can get it out. At least, I've never been able to.

I know some people bought a spare and use one ring for things like rice and the other for stews/curries or other stronger smelling dishes. I just wash mine and ignore the smell, it doesn't seem to impart it to anything I cook so I don't mind.

I just had my first go with Instant Pot. I made Chicken Tortilla soup following this recipe. It came out great. Next time, I will probably half the amount of chicken though because I do not like a lot of meat in my stews/soups unless it is chili : ) Honestly, the hardest part was finding the ingredients at the store.

I am planning to make BBQ ribs and baked potatoes tomorrow using this and this recipes. This thing rocks : )

Ixian

Got one of these during the Cyber Weekend sale and I love it. I was initially a little turned off due to the the amount of terminology used, but the reality is it's not that bad once you actually own the thing and do the water test to better understand how things work.

I've only made two things in it so far -- a pot roast and spaghetti and meatballs -- but have a lot more planned over the upcoming weeks.

There's a ridiculously active Facebook community for it: https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotCommunity/

Here are some recipe sites I like:
http://thisoldgal.com/category/instantpot/
http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/recipe-index/
http://www.apinchofhealthy.com/my-recipes/instant-pot-recipes/
http://www.adventuresofanurse.com/category/instant-pot/

I also recommend checking out Pinterest for recipes.

Definitely happy with the purchase so far; I've wanted to use our slow cooker more often but the Instant Pot is far more appealing to use since we can make the same things but over the course of an hour on a week night.

I have this unit and used the slow cooker option to make pulled pork sandwiches last night.

- 4lbs pork shoulder
- Baby Ray's Sweet and Spicy BBQ 18oz
- Liter of A&W root beer
- Garlic salt and pepper

Put the pork shoulder and fill with root beer in the instant pot and choose slow cooker on low. Cook for 9 hours.

Take pork out and empty the bowl. Pull the pork (I use 2 forks) and throw it back into the cooker and mix with salt and pepper and bbq sauce. Put setting to 'keep warm' for 15 minutes then serve on warmed onion buns and coleslaw.

Took me maybe 10 minutes of total prep time, really easy.

This sounds really good. Where did you get the pork shoulder? Was it sold brined (labeled "contains X% of a solution")? I really don't want added salt and water.

Therin

I made a beef stew (using the serious eats recipe) with the Instant Pot for the first time the other day. It was a bit intimidating at first, since the manual seems to have a lot of cautionary notes in it, but it ended up being so easy. Happy with my purchase!

Laekon

Hey Gaf, I bought a 7lbs pork shoulder this morning because it was on sale. I don't have an instant pot but another electric pressure cooker/slow cooker. Is it best to cook the pork slowly or can I use the pressure cooker settings? Also is it best to cut it up first? Was hoping to use broth and a can of enchilada sauce as the liquid.

I've cooked this cut often in the past in a enamel/cast iron dutch oven but I'm looking to change it up.

Hey Gaf, I bought a 7lbs pork shoulder this morning because it was on sale. I don't have an instant pot but another electric pressure cooker/slow cooker. Is it best to cook the pork slowly or can I use the pressure cooker settings? Also is it best to cut it up first? Was hoping to use broth and a can of enchilada sauce as the liquid.

I've cooked this cut often in the past in a enamel/cast iron dutch oven but I'm looking to change it up.

I just cooked 5 lbs on Friday. I cut it in to 3 pieces, salted it, jammed some whole garlic cloves in, placed it atop 3 strips of cooked bacon, added 1 cup water, and cooked on high pressure for 90 minutes. It was perfectly tender and easy to shred.

made kimchi rice using spicy pork and brown rice.

sauted the meat first in the pot then I set it aside and left the flavored red grease in there. added the brown rice and cooked it using the 22 minute recipe. mixed in the kimchi, a bit of the pork, and served with a fried egg.

I don't have the Instant Pot, but my mom gave me her brand new Nesco PC6-25 Digital Pressure Cooker that she never uses. I just used it for the first time. Went with an easy recipe:

• 2 frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 cup of salsa
  • 1/2 cup of water

Pressure cooked on high for 12 minutes.

Delicious! I'm honestly blown away. Frozen chicken cooked perfectly in ~20 mins. Pure sorcery... I can't believe I had never used one of these things before.

Just used this same recipe except switch the 1 cup of salsa with 1 cup of BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's). So easy and good.

Grym

just an FYI that the IP Duo 7-in-1 is on sale again (though not as good as Black Friday or Cyber Monday.)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

(EDIT - looks like it is now unavailable on Amazon. I think they were price matching the Walmart deal so you can still get it there:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/46700670...75035&wl11=online&wl12=46700670&wl13=&veh=sem)

I don't even have mine yet. Getting it as an xmas gift. But I've been doing lots of research (mostly watching the facebook group for ideas/recipes). Beyond all the protein, starches, and meal stuff, I am amazed at the things people easily make with this thing. yogurt, dulce de leche, flavor infused honey, ricotta, limoncello, homemade vanilla extract, etc. Can't wait to try this thing out!

Had an instant pot for the last year. Never looked back.

Prep all my meals portions in advance and put them in freezer bags and just chuck in for 5-20 minutes depending what I'm cooking.

Amazing

I just cooked 5 lbs on Friday. I cut it in to 3 pieces, salted it, jammed some whole garlic cloves in, placed it atop 3 strips of cooked bacon, added 1 cup water, and cooked on high pressure for 90 minutes. It was perfectly tender and easy to shred.
I did a similar thing with a pork shoulder, only I salted it then cooked it for 50 minutes at high pressure with a little stock, then took it out and broiled it. Came out like a Cuban lechon: crispy cracklings, tender meat but sliceable chunks, not shredded. Best of all, it didn't take 9 hours like the traditional methods. I was looking for a way to approximate this on a weekend night, and it actually worked. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/12/ultra-crispy-slow-roasted-pork-shoulder-recipe.html
Love my instant pot!

Cooked some chicken leg quarters in my IP last night, covered them in sazon and put it on saute to brown the skin side, then added a couple cups of chicken broth and pressure cooked it for 25 minutes, then added rice and let it cook in the broth. It was a great idea in concept, but in reality if you're also looking to do something like this, make sure you run the broth through some kind of fat separator. The rice came out tasting delicious, but just being way too oily because of all the chicken fat left over.

Cooked some chicken leg quarters in my IP last night, covered them in sazon and put it on saute to brown the skin side, then added a couple cups of chicken broth and pressure cooked it for 25 minutes, then added rice and let it cook in the broth. It was a great idea in concept, but in reality if you're also looking to do something like this, make sure you run the broth through some kind of fat separator. The rice came out tasting delicious, but just being way too oily because of all the chicken fat left over.

fat separator? This is a thing? Like I can separate the fat from the broth and not have it congeal when I put it in the fridge?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
fat separator? This is a thing? Like I can separate the fat from the broth and not have it congeal when I put it in the fridge?

JfEzs6K.jpg

I think they are kinda silly, though. But that is mostly because I always keep some stock in the fridge.

A big spoon is cheaper and suffices.

JfEzs6K.jpg

I think they are kinda silly, though. But that is mostly because I always keep some stock in the fridge.

A big spoon is cheaper and suffices.

Yeah, that's more or less why I said "some kind of", because you definitely don't need a specialized tool to do it, but I was noting what went wrong with my idea of "oh snap, I could cook rice in something already flavored and give it a ton of flavor!" Like, yeah, it came out great until you got halfway through your portion and were like "wait, this is greasy as hell".

I have a fat separator that I use any time I'm making gravy. It saves time and I can do a bunch of other tasks while it's separating.

I've been looking up recipes for random things I have in the fridge. Last night I made a batch of cranberry sauce in about 5 minutes and it came out great.

ReAxion

This was the first thing I made in mine and they were outstanding. 3.5 lb pork shoulder reduced to perfectly shreddable carnitas in like an (including time to reach and release pressure).

BoJP4Ql.jpg

lol i took a pic that looks exactly like this. angle and everything.

Made this yesterday in my IP:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...re-cooker-chicken-black-bean-stew-recipe.html

Timing was a bit off, as 40 minutes sounded too much for chicken, so I did 32 instead and it came out perfect! Taste was amazing and beans were just right. Topped with avocado, cilantro and sour cream it was just a joy to eat.

my family went nuts for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom