• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie calls someone a "fucking n****r" during PUBG livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.
And people were trying to act like I was a dick for not allowing my son to watch streamers in a past thread on the subject. Not letting him associate with that community.

Not going to defend him but youd be surprised how often this happens in Europe especially in countries with no black people. There is literally no understanding of the context, its just a word you hear in music and movies.
See kids, THIS is how you try to start a separate discussion. Good attempt, but looks like people saw it coming.
Lol I've heard people say alot worse when they are frustrated in pvp especially with first person shooters. Though for me I normally just run around screaming shit oh shit as I get shot.
And this is how someone excuses the behavior. If you stick to this thread, you'll see variations of these in EVERY page.

Acting like stuff like this is A-OK is cool, but /pol/ is that way.

Don't worry guys, Game Theory said people only want to make PewDiePie moments like this more publicized is because they envy his popularity

/s

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm always curious about the crossover in alt-right ideas and youtubers. It's a chicken/egg situation. Are they always like this, and the truth just eventually comes out? Or do they get some fame and some money and decide that they are better than other people? Or maybe they're even glib enough to think that the alt-right are the best group to take money from by acting it up?

It's strange.

Its much simpler than that: some countries are whiter than others, thus carrying varying levels of ignorance about such matters. He's from one of those countries

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
using hitler propaganda, saying racial slurs...between him and Maximilian i'm wondering what these guys really think...casual racism is very dangerous

the fact that it is being normalized is pretty much the problem

TheJoRu

Damn if that's what it takes to get banned from Youtube half of the content creators would be gone by now. lol

Well, I don't know what it takes to get banned from YouTube, but if half of the content creators have been making Nazi jokes and using the n-word like that, then sure, I think there should be action taken against all of them by the platform holders.

Some idiot says something stupid online.

Outrage ensues.

Rinse and repeat.

Boring.

I don't really see anything boring about this. It is important to call out people who do or say despicable things, online or otherwise. He is not a rando posting on neogaf or a griefer playing overwatch. PewDiePie, as I am sure you are aware, has an influence on tens of thousands or more young people and him saying this shit sends a message that using that word is normal and acceptable when playing video games.

"Outrage culture" poses a significant less threat than the normalization of white supremacy.

Lux R7

giphy.gif

Tazmin

Neo Member
Not going to defend him but youd be surprised how often this happens in Europe especially in countries with no black people. There is literally no understanding of the context, its just a word you hear in music and movies.
Except the fact that Europe isn't sheltered.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Are we sure it's him? Multiple people are on the stream party chat.

Not defending him btw. Just want to make it's him talking.

I'm gonna assume this is sarcasm but I honestly can't tell lmao

Except the fact that Europe isn't sheltered.

And this post is why we shouldn't just lump up junior accounts together because there are clearly sensible people like this person right here.

What a freaking idiot. Shit ton of subscribers and he makes good money from playing video games. VIDEO GAMES. I would LOVE to do that. I would never do or say anything to potentially fuck that up. smfh

again, I say: look down

Does that make it okay? Still normalises its use.

Maybe this was an accident, a slip (but of course, it's indicative of a lot). But with his reach and the reach of his other YT defenders, there's a lot of work toward normalizing behavior that should not be normal. I don't mean this in a tinfoil hat sense like it's a coordinated campaign, but rather all the "well, it's not a big deal, gamers gonna game, gamers gonna shit talk! and also they donate to charity!" that spread from YT to Twitter to everywhere is part of a much larger web.

It is a big deal.

Kuraudo

Banned
Wow, he was wayyyy too comfortable dropping it as a pejorative.

why are people so scared and offended by a simple word ?

Why are people offended by a word that was used as a means of oppression for hundreds of years? Maybe if you exert a smidgen sociohistorical awareness you might get to the bottom of this mystery.

Kindekuma

Banned
This guy needs to be permanently banned from both YouTube and Twitch for what he's done.

Tbh I don't think a knee-jerk reaction like what Felix had because he was in the moment doesn't constitutes his account being closed. Get invested in a game, say some stupid shit when your filter isn't a priority. He'll most likely just apologize about it and move on.

Alienous

Yeah, intentional or not this topic feels like a pointless magnet for PC outrage.

"PC outrage".

Sure, let's not discuss that one of the most recognizable figures related to gaming, with a audience that heavily includes children, feels comfortable using racial epithets as insults .

Ryan_MSF

Genuinely was pretty surprised how easily he dropped that, Though having said that, find myself less and less surprised by stuff like this nowadays. Just awful.

That's unbelievable. Seriously, jokes in incredibly poor taste and allowing horrible people to have your back is one thing, but saying this so casually and as a slur, a synonym for asshole, holy shit. Legit unbelievable.

conman

That wasn't a slip. Racism doesn't just slip out. It's not some shit that you accidentally do. If it ain't in you, it's just not going to happen.
Word.

The moment might be small. The word might be relatively short. But the depth and breadth of one's belief needs to be large for something like this to "just come out."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom