• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 confirmed, Game Informer info, Trailer released

LittleBigPlanet 2 ANNOUNCED! SHIPS WINTER 2010!

PR:
Announcing LittleBigPlanet™2 for PlayStation®3: Sackboy is back!
Have brand new adventures, explore the imaginations of millions – and Play, Create and Share not just levels, but whole games…London, 10th May: Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has announced the return of the world-conquering, award-collecting Sackboy in LittleBigPlanet™2 for PlayStation®3 (PS3™) – a game that will let your creativity run riot in ways you never imagined. Developed by the visionary team at Media Molecule, LittleBigPlanet 2 will provide fans a new means to PLAY, CREATE, and SHARE, including a revamped graphics engine supplying stunning visuals, a fresh storyline, added accessories and equipment for SackBoy, and revolutionary gameplay mechanics providing players a level of control and customization. This time, the game in the box really is just the start.The multi-million unit selling LittleBigPlanet had the critics raving when it arrived in 2008. The game, where players meet on a colourful, patchwork planet to play as the charming, fully-customisable Sackboy, and create new levels for others to play via PlayStation®Network, heralded a new age of creative gaming, where players are constrained only by their imagination. Since launch, more than 2 million levels have been created by LittleBigPlanet fans, and uploaded to share with the rest of the community. Now, LittleBigPlanet 2 will explode the concept of Creative Gaming, offering exciting and unprecedented new possibilities – as well as backwards-compatibility with all of the existing LittleBigPlanet community levels and content.LittleBigPlanet 2 begins with a brand-new, epic story adventure, where your quest is to save the LittleBigPlanet itself. On your journey you visit amazing places and meet wonderful characters as you run, bounce, swing and even grapple-hook your way to success. And then it gets really imaginative – in LittleBigPlanet 2, you can create not just levels, but whole new games. Racing games, shooters, platform challenges… cookery simulators even; if you can imagine it, you’ll be able to make it. Sackboy’s new set of simple but wonderfully powerful tools lets you create contraptions whose behaviour you can control, and populate new landscapes with Sackbots – automated characters who can help or hinder players. You can make intelligent machines, vehicles and puzzles, create cinematic cutscenes, and reassign the game’s controls to control any element of what you’ve made. Then, when you’re all out of imagination, you can take a break from creating to go and play what gamers around the world have been busy creating. Right now, no one knows what that will look like. If last time was anything to go by, though, it’s going to be amazing.In 2010, the only limit to what you play is going to be the world’s imagination. Prepare for a revolution that’s truly going to blur the lines between gamers and games creators, breaking all the moulds and giving free rein to the creativity of millions… prepare for LittleBigPlanet 2. Find out more at www.littlebigplanet.com/2

TRAILER CAN BE FOUND HERE (<-- Youtube version)!

All right, thanks to Crisis, we've got the following MINDBLOWING info:

Okay. Here we go:

LittleBigPlanet 2 Game Informer June 2010 Issue Information

Context about the first LittleBigPlanet

- The first LBP was never intended to be a simple platforming game
- Over 2 million levels available online
- About 56,000 new levels per week on average

LittleBigPlanet 2 Information Starts Here:

- LBP 2 has less of a focus on platforming altogether and it's more of a platform to actually create games with
- There is an all-new level creator and it is not just a tool to create platform games.
- As examples, the game 100% encourages the player to create game types and wants you to make a shooter, a racer, puzzle games, Space Invaders clones, even RPGs

- A player can even customize a HUD. The example given is a health bar for a fighting game.
- A Media Molecule developer has created a fully-functioning Command & Conquer Clone
- Media Molecule loves that a lot of user-created levels in LBP1 were homages to classic games and laments that so many manipulations of the creation tools were necessary to do them. Sackboy won't need to be "hidden behind the curtain" when you make games with LBP2.
- There is a new super-important creator tool called "direct control seats"
- (from previous point) In LBP1, lots of people made rudimentary "hold R1 to accelerate" vehicles. Mark Healy created a car out of rubber wheels and a bottle, then placed a direct control seat in it. He pulled up an interface that resembled a PS3 controller and assigned commands to buttons.
- Example given was assigning Sixaxis tilt for forward and reverse, horn on the X button.
- You are no longer limited to the game's stock sound effects. You can record your own sounds and voices, attaching them to characters or objects. Magic Mouth from the original LBP is gone
- Direct control seat's control scheme is instantly accessible and you can attach it only to the part of the vehicle you want it to control.
- Example was given about the 8/16-bit remakes/tributes having to use the signature gameplay mechanics of LBP. That is no longer true in LBP2. A creator can place a direct control seat on their own platforming protagonist and complete it with a customized control scheme.
- Example of the previous was Yoshi's Island. If a player creates the perfect recreation of the SNES-era jump they can share it with anyone in the community.
- There is an in-game microchip that functions as a calculator and it is a direct response/homage to PSN user Upsilandre (seriously, he's mentioned by name)
- Enemies in the original title could only be programmed with super-basic commands and most resembled marionettes.
- Users will be able to take a template for an enemy called a Sackbot, tweak the AI and dress it in any way they choose.
- Creators can choose the weak points on the Sackbot, determine if it is scared of heights, and even program acting routines.
- A disco scene was set up by Media Molecule and two employees recorded together on a single Sackbot. They moved its arms and bobbed its head in a dancing routine. JUST the AI was copied and pasted onto twenty different Sackbots. Each Sackbot was given its own unique look.
- There are now movie editing options as well.
- Every LBP2 player will receive their own profile on LBP.me. It will display your activity feed as well as previews of their own stages
- There will be user-created integration in QR codes as well. They can be printed on advertisements, business cards, and automatically load a level when held up to the PlayStation Eye. There is no special menu to do this. Any time the PS3 is turned on and running LBP 2, you can wave it in front of the Eye.
- If you are not near your PS3 you can take a quick photo with your smartphone to see an online preview of the level and add it directly to your level queue.
- For creators of multiple levels, you will be able to string your stages together so that they flow from one level to the next.
- Sackbots can be drastically increased or decreased in physical size.
- Sackbots can be controlled by direct control seats as well.
- There is a new gadget (like the MGS paintball gun). It is a big-ass grappling hook.
- Media Molecule says explicitly there are multiple more gadgets coming.
- All DLC from LBP1 transfers over to LBP2. Including downloaded content packs, costumes, etc.
- There is a major overhaul to the story level as well. There's the same 3-plane perspective for the story mode and the levels so far have a similar run-jump-grab platform style.
- Storyline is not country-based like last time, but is based in periods of time
- Here is a list of levels and summaries so far:

- Techno Renaissance: Whimsical alternative take of the Renaissance period. Leonardo da Vinci-like character to guide him through a technology-based twist level

- Steam & Cake: Steampunk-style level based on a fucked-up tea and cake party

- Neon Propaganda: Cold-war era posters line a factory environment where Sackboy is liberating oppressed workers. There is a grim nature to the level that is totally opposed to the neon lights and signs.

- Fluffy High-Tech: Various high-end technology equipments like video walls are mixed with bunnies and fluffy sheep. It is a cold, futuristic environment populated by adorable creatures

- Designer Organic: Eco-architecture comes together around a designed and controlled version of nature. Described as "art noveau". The closest to nature Sackboy gets in this game. Elaborate designs comprised of plants.

- Hand-Made Arcade: A super-tribute level to tons of arcade classics. Embraces the hand-made art from the first game. Pixels made of cardboard and wood.

- Circuit boards (like the calculator) can get extremely complicated and they have a very distinct interface
- Creators can make full-on cutscenes. Camera angles and voice-overs included. Creators can even make little five-minute short films. These levels are clearly marked on the stage select screen so you can tell whether you're watching or playing the level.

Also,

Crisis said:
Sure. Quality-wise is is very, very close to the first game. However this is not even close to true of all the screenshots of the levels. Things look far less rudimentary in the levels this time around. One thing that I am genuinely liking and I hope is transferring to all the other user-creation tools is how the game shows you what commands are assigned to what microchips. Best way to explain it is to have you think of what happens when you press on a link on the iPhone. It blows up the microchip's commands with a little transparent, green comic-book style speech bubble part at the bottom pointing to the microchip it represents.

Sackbot templates start as a square-ish version of Sackboy with no faces. They resemble a wooden puppet very much. There are all kinds of various lighting effects on display. My favorite one (because it's so unique) is the 8-bit pixel Apple II-style lighting. You'll see what I mean by that when your issue gets in.

Gamesreactor preview (translated):
http://translate.google.com/transla...tittar/22304/Little+Big+Planet+2/&sl=sv&tl=en

By now you’ve probably seen the information about LBP 2 that were revealed in Game Informer and looked longingly at the scans and screenshots, but if you still don’t have enough here is what Edge had to say about the game.
Unlike News of the World preview says the game scheduled for release this Winter.

Changes:
# Huge visual upgrade
# Colour filters for certain areas, e.g. x-ray
# Instead of sliders in lighting and sound menus, they have percentages
# Cutscene cameras are now white… (Seen in a screenshot)
# You can place decorations and stickers on your planet

New features:
# Bounce Pads
# New hazard: Laser
# You can make Sackbots harmful (electrify, fire etc.)
# You can grapple Sackbots
# It is possible to record something and apply it to a sackbot
# If you program a sackbot to follow you, and then jump into a vehicle, the sackbot will catch up and jump in with you.
# You can use direct control seats with Sackbots
# Direct control does control momentum, so no unwanted shooting up into the air
# You can program sackbots to hang off things
# Level Linking ‘Badges’
“Place the new level-linking ‘badge’ in your level and you can seamlessly transport players to another. Useful for building multi-level games as well as for collector types to create level hubs for great levels that they’ve found”
# Photos on lbp.me will be the ones posted on the level itself
# Usernames on lbp.me will be PSN names
# There will be a facebook-style ’stream’ (possibly lbp.me) which will show highscores, hearted levels etc for each player

New tools:
# Grappling Hook
“A powerup in the mould of LBP’s MGS DLC, the grappling hook is thrown out with R1 and attaches to any grabbable [so sponge etc] surface until you let go in the same way a grab would usually work. You can reel it in and out by pressing up and down on the stick, and also swing, your tether flexing with a satisfying ‘boing’.”
# Microchips: Once you place them, it projects a space in which you can build logic etc. When you are done it minimizes the logic and store it inside one little microchip
# New torch/flashlight lighting object (Just looks like one, sackboy cannot actually hold it)

Extra round:
# So far it is 4GB extra content (will get bigger). Meaning it is too big for a patch.
# If they were to make it as DLC it would be VERY expensive DLC.

http://www.littlebigland.com/little-big-planet-ps3/all-details-about-lbp2-from-edge-summed-up/

nyzkwl.jpg

21mrvc8.jpg

9swf3m.jpg

More available here.

Playstation blog US PR:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...for-ps3-officially-announced-for-winter-2010/

Eurogamer preview:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/littlebigplanet-2-first-preview

G4TV interview:
http://g4tv.com/games/ps3/63750/lit...gPlanet-2-Interview-Alex-Evans/#ixzz0nZADif7N

Gametrailers video interview:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/abstract-features-littlebigplanet-2/100073?type=flv

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
RPPPPGGGGGs!!!

*readies to make his own LittleBigDragonQuest*

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Need to see this stuff. It sounds crazy :D

Is there any more detail on the whole circuit board/microchip thing? It sounds like a new/better way to 'program' logic, to create your own custom switches perhaps? Is there detail on the interface for that?

DMeisterJ

Banned
Repose from other thread:

Sheeeeeeeiiiit.

Day 1

I'd have been happy with more of the same. But all this? And the DLC makes it over.

I said Goddam

Mrbob

Holy shizz.

No way they can do all this in a patch. :lol I love the fact you can carry all your LBP1 dlc over to LBP2. Industry, take note.

With all the new creation additions, should this be called Little Big Universe instead?

V_Ben

Banned
As i said in the other thread;

holy shit. that sounds like it will undoubtedly be the greatest creation tool ever. :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
From the other thread:

Crisis said:
Sure. Quality-wise is is very, very close to the first game. However this is not even close to true of all the screenshots of the levels. Things look far less rudimentary in the levels this time around. One thing that I am genuinely liking and I hope is transferring to all the other user-creation tools is how the game shows you what commands are assigned to what microchips. Best way to explain it is to have you think of what happens when you press on a link on the iPhone. It blows up the microchip's commands with a little transparent, green comic-book style speech bubble part at the bottom pointing to the microchip it represents.

Sackbot templates start as a square-ish version of Sackboy with no faces. They resemble a wooden puppet very much. There are all kinds of various lighting effects on display. My favorite one (because it's so unique) is the 8-bit pixel Apple II-style lighting. You'll see what I mean by that when your issue gets in.

Commands? Microchips?

Any examples given?

B1gg_Randall said:
So what if you got the GOTY version,how will those carry over????

Wondering this too. Maybe some sort of export feature like they have with Rock Band. Maybe we're just screwed :lol

Lagspike_exe said:
- Example was given about the 8/16-bit remakes/tributes having to use the signature gameplay mechanics of LBP. That is no longer true in LBP2. A creator can place a direct control seat on their own platforming protagonist and complete it with a customized control scheme.
- Example of the previous was Yoshi's Island. If a player creates the perfect recreation of the SNES-era jump they can share it with anyone in the community.

You can fix the floaty jump physics? Megaton incoming.

Sounds amazing. All the new tools are probably going to be too daunting for your average user but I can' wait to see what the advanced guys come up with.

Confirmed for Fall 2010?

SWEET JESUS JOSEPH MARY AND ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER!!!

I didn't think I could love Media Molecule any more than I already did, but I've just been proven wrong! Did they mention a release window?

DiddyBop

wow, this makes the original sound like a tech demo in comparison. this new game seems to be the true LBP. im approaching with caution though as this sounds a bit too ambitious. i was once fooled by fable and its vast promises, never again will i dive in head first.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
captscience said:
Confirmed for Fall 2010?

It wasn't said in the summary of the article, but I've heard very reliably that it's a early 2011 game.

So...no, in short. I assume the article does have a release window, if Crisis can confirm it.

Mrbob

I need my GI in the mail now, stat.

Last piece Sony needs to announce is a LBP2 Playstation Move bundle.

There's the same 3-plane perspective for the story mode and the levels so far have a similar run-jump-grab platform style.

Blah.
That 3-Plane crap is not a good thing, at all.
Just gets in the way of actually playing the game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sounds extremely ambitious - again. I still play first LBP from time to time, but I wonder if the sequel would be able to differentiate itself enough with the same 2.5D structure. I kinda wish they went with the Mario Galaxy 3D planet idea for the sequel, like someone here suggested. In any case, this strikes many correct notes, actually just about every.

Oni Jazar

Geez as if the first game wasn't complicated enough. Still love the original though just from playing other people's creations.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This should have been obvious actually, in hindsight.

Rewind to some of the original previews and interviews with MM, talking about broader vision, and they talk about how platforming was just the most convenient 'intro', the convenient genre to cast LBP into. But that going forward they saw scope for expanding into other genres. I remember them mentioning like that they could maybe do a shooter kit or rpg kit (can't remember if MM said that or the journo talking to them, but this line of discussion cropped up anyway).

Platforming was 'just' the 'first draft' :)

thuway

Fuck, this is sounding like a dream. The first game's floaty mechanics really turned me off, but just a word of warning to Media Molecule:

Please make this game accessible to as many people as possible. The first game had portions, where even I, a hardcore enough gamer to post this, became frustrated and threw my controller down. Please make sure its gratifying and rewarding to jump around and PLAY.

I am so glad Sony actually gets it. 4 Player Co-op, robust tools, fixed platforming, and a revamped everything.

NOW:

GG, Sucker Punch, NAUGHTY DOG, and Insomniac, it would be nice if you included split screen co-op as well :D.

Top Bottom