• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boy Micro <3 Thread

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I've only had mine alil under 2 months now but I still love it! Currently MM & Bass make me want to throw it but I love my GBM to much to destroy it!

We have it in stock at many places here in Turkey but it costs 150 euros.. way too expensive. I'd grab one for half the price.

Deku

Banned
Yeah its very portable, and although not really meant as a media player (GBA) the micro makes it convenient if you have Play-Yan Micro or one of the other 3rd party solutions.

cvxfreak

In Japan, they go for about $50 new at many shops in Akiba and Denden. If I ever have spare cash I'd buy a blue one in a heartbeat.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I adore it, for Gunstar Future Heroes and Metal Slug Advance alone.

Still a few titles i wanna play.

agent069

Banned
It's too bad there isn't much GBA games to come. But still, with the two Wario Ware, and the Megaman Zero games and Puyo Pop Fever my GBM I'm not going to let it die.

Fabiollo

I love my pink one. And it's so cheap (49 euros, here in Italy), that I'm tempted to buy a green one. I can here Iwata laughing: "Incredible! He bought another one!"

I guess I'm a Nintendo Whore.

Some "Media Markt" stores sold it for 30€ here in germany. That's less than a game.

So noone knows where to get that adapter cable for old Link- and Cube Connectivity cables?

Yoschi

:Motorbass said:
Some "Media Markt" stores sold it for 30€ here in germany. That's less than a game.

So noone knows where to get that adapter cable for old Link- and Cube Connectivity cables?

You can make one yourself, look here

Are you serious about the 30€ ?? Oo
that's fucking cheap!

Could you send me one? I live in Luxembourg :D

mosqito

:Motorbass said:

Oh i live in luxembourg too.. hehe :) U send me one too? :D :D

Yoschi said:

Are you serious about the 30€ ?? Oo
that's fucking cheap!

Could you send me one? I live in Luxembourg :D
Hey, thanks for the link, I'll make one myself then!

Unfortunately, I got mine sent too. It was regionally different for whatever reason. I'd have bought a couple if they were that cheap around where I live. But that was several months ago and I don't think they have some left. :/

I might have to pick one of these up at Walmart. Do you guys have any recommendations for some good GBA games that you can easily stop and go.

yonder

Best portable system so far! And best D-pad as well. :)

But I gotta find a nice and small case for it. I started a thread on it a while ago but got no good suggestions :/ What do you guys use? I want something more protective than the one you get with the system.

Yoschi

mosqito said:
Oh i live in luxembourg too.. hehe :) U send me one too? :D :D

hey, i thought about buying this one. Its not too pricey, makes 33€ without shipping costs.
If you really live in luxembourg too and are interested in having one, i could buy 2 to save shipping costs. We would then meet somewhere here in luxembourg(lux-city maybe?).
i'll just have to wait from an answer from him to know how much the shipping would cost.
watcha think?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
cjelly said:
For anyone in the UK, Choices have got the silver and blue for £31.49 each, which isn't too bad:

Link is here.
They have nice international shipping, too bad I don't have money. The blue one would so be mine.

Matt_C

I just bought a Micro at Walmart and the person who returned the box forgot to include an AC adapter. Not only the ac adapter was missing, so were the extra face plates WTF???

Instead of returning it, I am trying to win an AC adapter from Ebay.

All in preparation before Pearl and Diamond this spring.

Matt_C said:
I just bought a Micro at Walmart and the person who returned the box forgot to include an AC adapter. Not only the ac adapter was missing, so were the extra face plates WTF???

Instead of returning it, I am trying to win an AC adapter from Ebay.

All in preparation before Pearl and Diamond this spring.

Dude, return that shit. Was it the last one or something?

Oh, and also, the second run of GBMs didn't include the three extra faceplates. Black/silver only, for the opposite colored system.

Matt_C

blame space said:
Dude, return that shit. Was it the last one or something?

Oh, and also, the second run of GBMs didn't include the three extra faceplates. Black/silver only, for the opposite colored system.

Yes, the last $50 one so I am keeping it since I am winning an Ebay auction for an AC adapter.

It is a very inexpensive console to own too. I am surprised that it had a charge already but still baffled on why there was no AC adapter.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
McBacon said:
I adore it, for Gunstar Future Heroes and Metal Slug Advance alone.

Still a few titles i wanna play.

So I went to Play-Asia to look at import GBM's and saw this:

PA.75971.001.jpg

I own Metal Slug Advance--matter of fact, just scooped it like 2 weeks ago. What the hell is this new one (release date is listed as February)??

Wow I don't so how you guys can buy so many portable games when the prices are so damn high. Really i mean even since the Gameboy days Nintendo jacked up games to nearly the same price as console games. When you consider a console game costs like $5M to make MIN these days and you can throw together a handheld game for less than a million, something doesn't make sense.

There's a huge difference between $19 and $29, $29 and $39. Most GBA games I would only spend $19 on, but I go into EB Games and look at the used ones and all the good ones are still at least $25 w/ no manual and no box. Seriously WTF.

RaidenZR

Cdammen said:
You need this silicone cover. It's Ggggggreat!

Please post pics of your GBMs turned on. Show off that 'effin great screen dudes :)

That may protect it, but it makes it look kinda foogly.

I'll post some pics of mine later tonight because I <3 MY MICRO

japtor

bob_arctor said:
So I went to Play-Asia to look at import GBM's and saw this:

PA.75971.001.jpg

I own Metal Slug Advance--matter of fact, just scooped it like 2 weeks ago. What the hell is this new one (release date is listed as February)??
i believe that is metal slug 1. it was supposed to come out a while ago i think, but it never did. im not sure whats going on with it. ign has a preview from last march.
Maarten Jalink said:
http://static.gameparty.net/screenshots/3955/66236.jpg

That's mine with the European Play-Yan inserted (simple MP3 crap). Bought it 2 days before launch and paid 100 euro's ($120) for it and never regretted :)
man that english branding on the play yan is ugly. ill post a pic of mine when i get home i guess. its taken quite a few falls, 99% of them from wearing a dress shirt with a front pocket, putting the micro there, then proceeding to put on shoes or reaching down for something. it has a few scars, and just noticed a soft dent near the volume rocker yesterday, but it still works fine.

Lorul2

I bought two (ahemm for the KIDS) on black Friday $35 a piece. I went crazy and bought the wireless adapter for both of them. Is it worth it or should I send it back? You would think there would be some kind of hack to make the wireless adapters act like a cable link?

Daigoro

the GBM is great i bought a used one several months back.

ill buy a new one if i can find it for a good price. i still need to round out my GBA collection.

Yoschi said:

cool thanks for the link.

CountZeroInt said:
Wow I don't so how you guys can buy so many portable games when the prices are so damn high. Really i mean even since the Gameboy days Nintendo jacked up games to nearly the same price as console games. When you consider a console game costs like $5M to make MIN these days and you can throw together a handheld game for less than a million, something doesn't make sense.

There's a huge difference between $19 and $29, $29 and $39. Most GBA games I would only spend $19 on, but I go into EB Games and look at the used ones and all the good ones are still at least $25 w/ no manual and no box. Seriously WTF.

Quoted For Mother ****ing Truth

Amen Brother.

I have been on about this issue like every day. In the UK EB became GAME, and it is the most expensive games shop ever. They sell Pokemon Emerald for £35, they sell second hand games at £25. How the hell. I once saw Minish Cap for £29.99 pre-owned. This is a joke. I went and told someone at the till, that this is daylight robery, they replied, they price pre-owned games buy a data sheet or something. I said I can find new copies of these games, sealed by Nintendo, and be cheaper than your pre-owned.

In all honesty I do think GBA games are too much. I think a standard price of £25 for the highest budget game, like Pokemon and Zelda. And everything else should be £17.99.

In Honor of the amazing GBA platform, here is my playlist.

Final Fantasy I & II
Mother 1+2
Golden Sun
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Donkey Kong Country 3
Yoshi's Universal Gravititation
DK: King of Swing
Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
Super Mario Ball
Mario Golf: Advance Tour
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Mario Power Tennis
Mario VS Donkey Kong
Dr Mario (NES Classics) x 2
Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival
F-Zero: GP Legends x 2
F-Zero Maximum Velocity x 2
Metroid (NES Classic)
Metroid Fusion
Metroid: Zero Mission
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
Xevious (NES Classic)
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Super Mario Bros 3

PS - I have only actually played SMB3, F-Zero:MV, and a few levels in yoshi, MK:SC

Valtox

blame space said:
I know I'm probably LTTP on this, but because it's so small, I literally take this thing everywhere. It's always in my pocket. Despite my PSP and DSL being "portable", the GBM takes it to a whole new level. If I have a few minutes before class, I can get to the next save point in Metroid, get a few more lines in Tetris, or get a little bit further in a Zelda dungeon and then put it right to sleep.

It's truly a beautiful thing to have such a great system in the cigarette lighter pocket (do those pockets have a formal name?) of my pants. So, yeah, let's talk about the GBM.
does it have a sleep function?
btw I bought it a few days ago. Only 39,90€
unfortunately I dont have new games to play on it!
I'll try with the first Castlevania for GBA

Valtox said:
does it have a sleep function?
btw I bought it a few days ago. Only 39,90€
unfortunately I dont have new games to play on it!
I'll try with the first Castlevania for GBA

Only certain games have a sleep function. Man, I need to get a replacement faceplate for my Micro, but I'm going to have to find it on the Internets.

I think the sleep functionality depends on the game. It seems to work on SMB3 for me, but not F-zero.

Activate by holding L+R and Select.

Do the same to wake it. You may have to switch this function on through the options.

japtor

Fusebox said:
Wireless adaptor..??

To the google-mobile I gooo..!!
i believe it came with one of the later pokemon games, and they only work with games that are programmed for it, aka there are only a few games that support it (list on wiki, not sure if there are more recent additions).

anyways heres my micro, screen got washed out a little by the flash though:

gbmicrory6.jpg

(and if youre wondering, under the 'plus' is 'chest congestion')

as for games, sucks to be in europe. most of my big name games (aka nintendo stuff) i got on 1st week sales at frys/best buy/circuit city, usually $23 or so. a lot of other games i picked up randomly later after release, usually around $20. im not sure how many games i have, i would guess its in the 30s or 40s. i dumped them all in a little travel bag a while ago, with a few in a minidisc player case (which was perfect for the sp, leaves a lot of room with the micro).

ive been planning on getting a silver body/black faceplate micro for a while now (so i can have all silver and all black micros), but kept missing out on the cheap sales. im not even sure where to find them now, doesnt even show up on a bunch of sites, amazon seems to be the only major one (and technically its from j&r).

fatty

Fabiollo said:
I love my pink one. And it's so cheap (49 euros, here in Italy), that I'm tempted to buy a green one. I can here Iwata laughing: "Incredible! He bought another one!"

I guess I'm a Nintendo Whore.

I thought the Micros were the biggest ripoff when they came out. "Who would want to pay that much?!? And the screen is smaller??

Now I own a famicom edition and a black one.

fatty said:
I thought the Micros were the biggest ripoff when they came out. "Who would want to pay that much?!? And the screen is smaller??

Now I own a famicom edition and a black one.

The problem with the GB Micro was that it was a rip-off. It was priced higher than the fully-featured GBA SP. I grabbed a Micro when they finally dropped down to $50 CDN (Famicom one). THAT was the better deal.

So here is a list of games I still want

Zelda: Minish Cap
Zelda: A Link To The Past/ Four Swords
Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
Fire Emblem
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Pokemon Emerald
Wario Ware Twisted
Ware Ware inc
Mother 3 (whenever it gets translated)
bit Generations (Pal Land Release, come on Ninty)
Rhythm Tengoku (Waiting on a UK release on this bitch too)

Top Bottom