• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
environments all look beautiful, and I think the bloom works too. But the characters look too solid. Hopefully they'll dial that back

Its missing the hard lines. Everything looks like a cheap CGI movie when put together.The missing hard lines don't affect the enviorment as that does look great, but the characters look SUPER bad now. Holy crap something is wrong.

edit: nice comment scarybore

codhand

Now they will make a Wind Waker that is as good as everyone remembers it being, I have a feeling updating gameplay will result with shorter sailboat travel times, fine with me.

Yeah... ummm guys that is still "cel-shading" which in itself is just a marketing term. But with vastly higher poly counts and more realistic lighting that might not be a perfect fit.

Until I see lava I can't decide if it's acceptable or not.

Its missing the hard lines. Everything looks like a cheap CGI movie.The missing hard lines don't affect the enviorment as that does look great, but the characters look SUPER bad now. Holy crap something is wrong.
Hard lines?

Unless you just mean the stark contrasts between shaded and lighted I'm not sure what you mean with that.

guek

Banned
iu7wjtdw2iu1rc1sgn.gif
iu7wjtdw2iu1rc1sgn.gif
iu7wjtdw2iu1rc1sgn.gif

LOL

glad to see some of your cynicism finally gone

You what it reminds me of? When students recreate their favourite game (usually Zelda) in the Unreal Engine, but don't know quite enough about the tools to not make it look generic and bland. The textures and geometry are all there, but the 'secret sauce' is missing. I do wonder if this is a project intended for the Zelda team to get an eye for next-gen (well, current-gen) development.

If Nintendo starts porting some of their classics to HD, I might actually have to buy a Wii U! Now bring the OoT remake to the system, too.

XaosWolf

Was thinking "Holy crap this is actually happening" as he was talking about Windwaker and then showing some screens.

This is going to be amazing.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What have they done to the best looking cel-shaded game of all time :(

Thick layer of HDR shit everywhere. Criminal.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I could do with a krispy kreme right now.

You could just buy like five regular doughnuts for less than one krispy kreme though...

Is it me or does Link's model look slightly off. It's bit like how the imported model looked in GMod.

Also I doubt they'll remove content because of the storyline. Additional features will be tacked on most likely like the Four Sword dungeon in the GBA remake of aLttP.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Dat nuclear bloom, someone over there loved Hitman: Absolution.

Still, goddamn that is gorgeous. Getting closer to considering that Wii U purchase, Nintendo.

Acosta

Err, dunno...

Wind Waker is probably my favourite recent Zelda and one of the things I loved the most was the exaggerated Cel-Shaded. The remake looks a bit weird, the environments look nice, too much post-procressing perhaps but the characters look weird, I will have to see it in motion.

ccbfan

If its the original but with better graphics. Then I wouldn't play this game if you paid me. The 2nd half of WW is easily the worst gaming experience I've ever had in my life. Unlike other bad games where I could stop playing, I couldn't not finish a Zelda, it was sacriligious (This was before the even worse DS ones).

Now make the 2nd half of the game just as fun as the first half.(add dungeons) Fix sailing. Add warp to every square of the map and add some content in the empty ocean then this would easily be the best Zelda game since lttp.

Yeah... ummm guys that is still "cel-shading" which in itself is just a marketing term. But with vastly higher poly counts and more realistic lighting that might not be a perfect fit.

Cel-Shading is just a marketing term? THIS is Cel Shaded? lol. No, it's not.

It feels like they used INSANE lighting settings to get the strong light and the extremely hard shadows.

Ydahs

Uv0f0SG.jpg

Oh... wow. This screen actually looks pretty damn awesome. If that's how it manages to look ingame than we have a winner right here.

But the shadows and lighting all look too clean so I have my doubts.

mantidor

I love how people compare this to fucking dolphin screenshots.

And I don't see the celshading gone, it's just different, and looks nice. Will buy.

i-Lo

I can't get "they look like Mii's" out of my head. The scenery looks quite stunning. Reminds me of a cross between the Tales games and Ni No Kuni (coming from a person who has never played a Zelda game).

Xellos

I have wanted this remake for a long time, but Nintendo needs to use this opportunity to add more content (dungeons, islands, sidequests) to the game. Wind Waker always seemed kind of half baked.

Takuya

Banned
Uv0f0SG.jpg

Oh... wow. This screen actually looks pretty damn awesome. If that's how it manages to look ingame than we have a winner right here.

But the shadows and lighting all look too clean so I have my doubts.

If that screenshot is the actual render resolution, it won't be hard to achieve that.

dc89

Seriously GAF, I'm at work, I know Nintendo Direct is happening at 2pm (GMT) and off I trott for lunch at 2:20-ish.

I opened Twitter and the first thing I saw was 'Wind Waker HD' - I'm sure my jaw must have hit the table.

Basic Wii U just got a whole lot more tempting.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Something looks off about it. Need to see it in motion.

Wind Waker in Dolphin probably colored my expectations a certain way.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Triforce Quest is fine if you read the clues and chart your journey. The big problem is going to Tingle and grinding rupees. If they slash the prices and allow you to contact Tingle from afar (new use for the Tingle Tuner?) then the whole process will be streamlined.

I'm hoping they have the original game remade, and then a "Master Quest" of sorts that evens out the Triforce quest at the end and maybe throws in 2 extra dungeons or something.

Either way, this looks fantastic and I'd be happy just to play WW in HD.

Celegus

Nintendo's on fire today! It's getting hard to keep up with what I should be the most excited for... and I don't even have a Wii U.

Cipherr

This shit looks awesome. Ill take this over the cell shading anyday. I can play WW on dolphin if I want the same shit upscaled.

REAAAAAAAAALLY surprised that they are doing this. Fucking awesome.

thefil

I come down on the side of it looking weird and mal-adapted. Not saying they had to keep it 100% the same, but the new lighting model does no compliments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom