• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KOF Maximum Impact 2 Thread

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Been playing this game like CRAZY all afternoon! SNK really stepped up and improved things a lot from the original game. The character roster has also almost doubled in size! There's now a total of 38 playable characters, including unlockable characters like B. Jenet (Garou), Richard Meyer (Fatal Fury 1), Lilly Kane (Billy's sister), Hanzo Hattori (Samurai Shodown), and more. New to the game play is a parry button, which works similar to the Last Blade series.

I'll come back later on and write up impressions with screenshots. Right now I would definitely say that if you didn't like the original game, give this one a try. The game play is much tighter and doesn't feel so abuseable this time around.

Oh, and it comes with a DVD containing all four KOF Another Day shorts. I haven't watched it yet, but it appears to have Japanese AND English language. :)

Anyone else get this game yet?

Lyte Edge

Naked Snake said:
How import friendly is it? Are the menus in English? Are the graphics improved?

Menus are all English. The only trouble you might have is in the challenge mode, but that will be the first thing covered on message boards and in FAQs.

The graphics have been improved over the original, and the style is different now. Seems a bit more "cartoony" in that some characters' features are more exaggerated (besides the obvious breast bouncing), like larger hands and arms. It's hard to put my finger on what it reminds me of, but I keep thinking of Kingdom Hearts for some reason.

Lyte Edge said:
Menus are all English. The only trouble you might have is in the challenge mode, but that will be the first thing covered on message boards and in FAQs.

The graphics have been improved over the original, and the style is different now. Seems a bit more "cartoony" in that some characters' features are more exaggerated (besides the obvious breast bouncing), like larger hands and arms. It's hard to put my finger on what it reminds me of, but I keep thinking of Kingdom Hearts for some reason.

Sounds good, thanks!

I never bothered with the first one, but I'm itching for a 2D fighting game, and since those are so rare now (and I'm kinda sick of the 2D KOFs) this'll do. Glad to hear it's good so far.

Too bad it doesn't have Andy and Joe though. I've always been more of a FF fan than a KOF one.

Lyte Edge

ThirstyFly said:
I never bothered with the first one, but I'm itching for a 2D fighting game, and since those are so rare now (and I'm kinda sick of the 2D KOFs) this'll do. Glad to hear it's good so far.

Too bad it doesn't have Andy and Joe though. I've always been more of a FF fan than a KOF one.

If you want a pure 2D fighting game, get Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi Kenkakuden or Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum over this game. MI2's controls are tighter and the game play feels more 2D than the original (despite the 3D elements like side stepping), but it's not on the same level as SNK's recent 2D efforts. That said, the game IS awesome. :)

Yeah, no Andy and no Joe sucks, but it's to be expected at this point. They did give Mai Andy's kick SDM though.

There is a large Fatal Fury/Garou presence in this game, though. Even Geese is in the game this time.

Finaika

Heh I was just about to post a "Where are the KOF:MI2 impressions NeoGAF?!" thread not too long ago.

I've read your impressions on neo-geo.com Lyte Edge, sounds like SNKP did a good job on this. I've already placed an order from Play-Asia, it comes bundled with the Another Day anime DVD (English subs!), poster, postcards, mini stand... sounds like a great deal!

I'm really dying to get my hands on this, its like a huge fanservice SNK game (Fio from Metal Slug is in it too!), and the added Sabaki parry will undoubtly reduce the effectiveness of the Stylish Arts... great gameplay addition. Plus I haven't seen Another Day yet :)

If you want a pure 2D fighting game, get Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi Kenkakuden or Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum over this game. MI2's controls are tighter and the game play feels more 2D than the original (despite the 3D elements like side stepping), but it's not on the same level as SNK's recent 2D efforts. That said, the game IS awesome.

Yeah, no Andy and no Joe sucks, but it's to be expected at this point. They did give Mai Andy's kick SDM though.

There is a large Fatal Fury/Garou presence in this game, though. Even Geese is in the game this time.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not much of a Samurai Shodown fan. I'd check out Battle Coliseum, but I don't have any way of playing PS2 imports. Maximum Impact 2 has the best chance of actually being released here, so that's why I'm interested. Has it been announced yet?

Yeah, I expected no Andy or Joe as well, but it would have been a great surprise. But at least Geese is there, as you said.

Ichirou

Banned
ArcadeStickMonk said:
Is it a four button game?

Six buttons, I believe. Four punch and kick buttons, dodge button, parry button.

The Another Day DVD does indeed come with English language subtitles and an English dub. Most excellent, undoubtedly in preparation for the US version.

I've noticed the increased breast bouncing...especially for Neville and Mai... -_-;;;

Character graphics do seem a bit changed, especially around the faces. The game looks very pretty. Kyo has a new costume, but I hope his school uniform is one of the hidden costumes.

The CG intro is really long. O_O

I haven't unlocked any of the secret characters yet, only played the first two battles in challenge mode...

Very cool game, I'm quite happy with what I've seen of it. I'll comment more on it when I get home.

Ichirou_Oogami said:
Six buttons, I believe. Four punch and kick buttons, dodge button, parry button.
Before I say "Fuck dammit," are we sure that Dodge and Parry cannot be achieved with combinations of the main four buttons?

I actually have the first one, but I'm far too lazy to fire it up and check.

Finaika

ArcadeStickMonk said:
Before I say "Fuck dammit," are we sure that Dodge and Parry cannot be achieved with combinations of the main four buttons?

I actually have the first one, but I'm far too lazy to fire it up and check.
Yeah its still basically a four button game, u can press LP+LK for the Dodge / Roll and LK+SP for the Parry.

Lyte Edge

MoxManiac said:
Hanzo? Seriously? Who else did they add besides what you mentioned?

38 Characters in total, so let's see....NCS already wrote most of them; nice and convenient. :) (Bold = New or Added)

From the Start:

Kyo Kusanagi (new design)
Iori Yagami
Terry Bogard
Seth
Mai Shiranui
Lien Neville
Luise Meyrink
Yuri Sakazaki
Ryo Sakazaki
Billy Kane
Alba Meira
Soiree Meira
Athena Asamiya (new design)
Mignon Beart
Nagase
Ralf Jones (slight new design)
Clark Still (slight new design)
Kula Diamond
Chae Lim
Leona (slight new design)
K'
Maxima (ditto)
Rock Howard
Duke

Secret Characters:

Kim Kaphwan
B. Jenet (she can do the breaking moves from Garou; I'm sure Wild Wolf can too)
Ninon Beart (Mignon's sister?)
Hanzo Hattori
Nightmare Geese
Wild Wolf (MOTW Terry; has no rising tackle, but gains the power stream SDM)
Armor Ralf (not sure if this is his name; don't have him yet)
Mr. Karate
Richard Meyer (the Pao Pao cafe owner; he's the Capoeira guy from Fatal Fury 1)
Kyo Kusanagi Classic (KOF '95 style; has his old outfits)
Fio (from Metal Slug)
Lilly Kane (Billy's little sister)
Hyena (don't have him yet; I think this is the goofy looking announcer guy from MI1)
Jivatma (final boss)

Ichirou_Oogami said:
I haven't unlocked any of the secret characters yet, only played the first two battles in challenge mode...

Very cool game, I'm quite happy with what I've seen of it. I'll comment more on it when I get home.

You should go through the story mode; you'll be able to get all but the last four hidden characters just by finishing story mode multiple times, as well as unlock more outfits for the characters, and open up the profile mode. Challenge mode and the extra challenges like the Metal Slug tank fight will get you more outfits, the last four characters, and open up the hidden backgrounds. I was focusing on story mode yesterday, so I have yet to see the hidden stages; there's like six of them, and I'm curious to see what they will be. Hopefully they kept the theme of MI's hidden levels and based them on classic KOF stages, with new versions of the older music.

Some of the outfits you can get are based on other SNK characters (Leona gets a Heidern outfit, Ralf gets a Marco [from Metal Slug] outfit, Terry's normal alternate is based on RBS Blue Mary, etc. I hear Iori has a hidden outfit that turns him into Setsuna from Last Blade 2!)

I'll comment more once I get home, too, and take some screen shots. Oh, and you can't do a clean pause, but you can go into the 3D camera mode by hitting start then select.

ArcadeStickMonk said:

Don't worry, they got you covered. :) Dodge/sidestep/roll is done with lp and lk together just like the 2D KOF games. Parrying is done by pressing hp and lk together. I do find it easier to just hit L2 myself. You can of course set up the controls any way you want them to be.

Ichirou

Banned
I only bought this game yesterday and I'm at work right now, so I can't touch it though I'm itching to play it...I didn't even know that B. Jenet was a secret character, she was without a doubt my favorite character from MotW.

I'd like to see a few of these characters make appearances in the 2D KoFs, honestly - specifically Lien Neville and Mignon Beart. :)

Thanks for the secret character list. I'm happy to see '95 Kyo there, that's my favorite playing style and look for him. :D

BTW, been a while since I played Maximum Impact, so...is it jus me or did all the characters at least get their faces redone? They look more detailed than in the first MI, somehow.

Lyte Edge

Brought MI2 to my buddy's house over the weekend, and he really enjoyed it. They definitely improved this game a lot over the original; the 2D feel is very well done.

STILL nowhere near finished unlocking everything yet. Currently around the level 75 mark in the easy challenge mode. After that comes hard challenge mode and ANOTHER 100 missions, plus I still have to finish up the extra missions. It's tough!

I'm finding B. Jenet, Billy Kane, and Luise Meyrink to be the best choices for completing missions. If you need to use someone quick to pick up coins, go with Hanzo; his backflip works wonders. :)

Speaking of Hanzo, his 7th outfit turns him into Galford, and his last outfit has Gundam colors. And while Ash Crimson may not be in the game, Kula has his outfit.

Only unlocked one hidden stage so far. I'm really curious to find out what the other six are. No one seems to know yet.

Ichirou_Oogami said:
I only bought this game yesterday and I'm at work right now, so I can't touch it though I'm itching to play it...I didn't even know that B. Jenet was a secret character, she was without a doubt my favorite character from MotW.

She was mine too, so I was really glad to see her in Maximum Impact 2, and even more so in KOF XI. :) She's a really effective character in this game, too.

I'd like to see a few of these characters make appearances in the 2D KoFs, honestly - specifically Lien Neville and Mignon Beart. :)

I don't know if they'd translate all that well to the 2D KOFs; as sprite based characters, some of their moves wouldn't be the same, and they'd probably look a bit weird(er).

BTW, been a while since I played Maximum Impact, so...is it jus me or did all the characters at least get their faces redone? They look more detailed than in the first MI, somehow.

I think they redid everything. The textures are better, too. It's too bad there's some slowdown/frame drops in some stages or when you do some moves, but fortunately since it only happens during super moves, it doesn't affect the game play.

Aaron

Lyte Edge said:
I think they redid everything. The textures are better, too. It's too bad there's some slowdown/frame drops in some stages or when you do some moves, but fortunately since it only happens during super moves, it doesn't affect the game play.
Ah, I was hoping they'd fix that, or at least avoid stages that staggered the framerate like the nighclub one did in MI. Maybe they'll fix it again for the Xbox/360 version. I just got Neowave, so it's keeping me rushing out to order this, though I doubt my willpower will last long enough for the US version to appear.

kiryogi

Banned
siiiiiiiiigh. My importer seems late about getting their copies in :/ I won't be able to pick it up until this friday but I plan to sneak out somehow.... :D I loved MI1 tho.

Ichirou

Banned
Got all the secret characters over the weekend and am working on getting the secret outfits now.

Jivatma's second outfit is really screwed up. He turns into a large breasted half-naked woman, but keeps his dude's voice. Creepy.

My favorite character in the game is, without a doubt, B. Jenet. :)

Lyte Edge

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
How well does this game compare with other 3D fighters?

It doesn't. Maximum Impact is closer to being a 2D fighter with polys, like Street Fighter EX, Fighting Layer, (the incredibly shitty) Samurai Shodown Warriors' Rage, and Fatal Fury Wild Ambition. The game's "stylish combos" are chains like you might find in Tekken, but much easier to do. The only real 3D element is side stepping, although KOF has had dodging before anyway. MI2 is improved a lot over the original due to the new counters, more balancing, and more precise control. I think they may have slightly slowed down the game play; the original was very fast, and this works better.

If I wasn't broke I'd have picked this up by now, glad to hear that this is improved over the first MI (it wasenjoyable, but kinda lacking), and the secret characters definently make this a more attractive purchase.

Lyte Edge

karasu said:
This thread needs screens.

I know, I know...I'm working on it. :) I've got free time today after work, so I'll see about taking some captures.

Lyte Edge

Okay, here's some pics. Most of them were taken in the free camera mode.

parry22oh.jpg
metalslug11av.jpg

characterselect3xf.jpg
armorralflillykane8pm.jpg

wildwolfbjenet7ik.jpg
bjenethanzo9fd.jpg

lienmaxima9pg.jpg
maib4nc.jpg

billyrichard2cr.jpg
nagaseluise0hg.jpg

albasoiree9pb.jpg
neogeo3zt.jpg

athenarock5do.jpg
geeseterry6ey.jpg

hyenaduke2uj.jpg
kimchae8am.jpg

luisealt0ui.jpg
12fb2.jpg

ninon3yz.jpg
yurimrkarate4et.jpg

Lyte Edge

Yes, this game is PACKED with fan service (the good kind!), but that is NOT Galford! It's one of Hanzo's alternate costumes.

jett said:
Why falcoon, why in god's name why.

I know, right? WHY did his team make such a fun game?! It's uncanny! :p

Lyte Edge

I was just playing this game, messing around in practice mode, and I noticed more character outfits are taken from other games. Not just other SNK games, but other COMPANIES' games! There's Terry as Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear, Soiree as Dee Jay from Street Fighter, and B. Jenet as Elena from Street Fighter. This game has fan service like no other fighting game I can think of!

Also, I have everything unlocked. The last few hidden stages include:

-Neo-Geo Land (What's interesting about this stage is that it will play different BGMs from other SNK games. Depends on which character you are playing as.)

-Esaka (from the original game, based off the KOF '95 Japan stage)

-Infernal Gate (also from the original, plays Geese's music, but this time he's not on the throne since he's in the game)

-Emperor's Court (huge castle courtyard stage. Plays Krauser's music as he watches from the background)

-Cyber Space (Weird looking flashy BG with flying mechs that look very similar to the sentinels from The Matrix movies)

-Mizuki (A 3D version of the Samurai Shodown II boss stage. Plays Mizuki's BGM as she watches the fight)

Aaron

Maybe its insanity, but I love this game more than XI. It's faster, more dynamic, admittedly looser and less precise, but hey when you start dishing out the parries with the AI doing it right back at you and often find yourself a hair's breath from death, it's pretty cool. Plus it's got Fio! And she's fun to use! It just needs Vanessa and Ash and it'd be all set.

Lyte Edge

Sugarman said:
Terry as Sol? Holy shit! Pics please!

Sure, I'll take some later on today. There's also Wild Wolf Terry in Rock's clothes; looks pretty cool. Fatal Fury Battle Archives Volume 1 is out today too, so I need to use the capture card anyway...

So off the top of my head, I've seen outfits representing the following characters:

-Sol Badguy
-Heidern
-Rei (Evangelion)
-Gundam (The actual mech)
-Galford
-Lum
-Dee Jay
-Robert Garcia
-Setsuna (Last Blade)
-Gai Tendo (Buriki One, KOF XI)
-May Lee
-Jun Hoon
-Jubei Yagyu
-Kaede (Last Blade)
-Ash Crimson
-Bob Wilson (Fatal Fury)
-Marco (Metal Slug)
-Tarma (Metal Slug)
-Elena (Street Fighter)
-Yuki (NGBC)
-Ai (NGBC)

There's also a few more I'm missing...ULTRA FAN SERVICE.

But I could swear I found a site somewhere that had pictures of all the characters' outfits; don't remember where I saw it.

Aaron said:
Maybe its insanity, but I love this game more than XI. It's faster, more dynamic, admittedly looser and less precise, but hey when you start dishing out the parries with the AI doing it right back at you and often find yourself a hair's breath from death, it's pretty cool. Plus it's got Fio! And she's fun to use! It just needs Vanessa and Ash and it'd be all set.

shock.jpg

It's fun as hell and I really like it, but KOF XI plays much better. I keep going back and forth between both games though; really enjoying having two different styles of KOF to play. :)

One thing I'd also like to see is a color edit in Maximum Impact; if the 2D games have the option, how about for the 3D games? I just started messing with XI's color edit mode; I love how you can not only change character colors, but also special move colors. I'm working on giving Ash Iori's purple flame colors now.

Not too long till this is out over here. As crazy as it sounds, I'll probably be playing this over Okami until I can unlock everything. Something I'd like to know: are any characters just skin swaps? I'm thinking of Kim Kaphan, Mignon's sister, Lili Kane, ect, do these characters have their own move sets?

negitoro7

How good is the music? I might pick this up too if it's budget priced. I have never owned a KOF game, and the 2D versions seem really overwhelming.

edit: ouch, same day as Okami?

negitoro7 said:
How good is the music? I might pick this up too if it's budget priced.

If the music is anything like the first game expect it to be totally awesome. Also this game will be priced at 29.99 when it comes out so that's fairly budgety.

Looking forward to this, I skipped on the JP release because of the lol pricetag. Hopefully SNK USA doesn't censor it.

Aaron

Sugarman said:
Not too long till this is out over here. As crazy as it sounds, I'll probably be playing this over Okami until I can unlock everything. Something I'd like to know: are any characters just skin swaps? I'm thinking of Kim Kaphan, Mignon's sister, Lili Kane, ect, do these characters have their own move sets?
There are a couple with semi-shared moved sets, like Lili and the second Terry, but even she has several unique moves and other tweaks that make a bit enough difference for me at least. Kim is pretty different from his female clone, and Mignon's sister is almost 100% new. It'll also take you a while to unlock everything with the crazy load of costumes.

Great game. Too bad it'll be completely ignored in the US.

Edit: Music is even better than the first. Pure awesome. :D

negitoro7

I know the Okami people are gonna rip me a new one, but I'm actually considering getting this instead of Okami initially.
It'll be much harder to find later on, whereas Okami should still be readily available.

Finaika

negitoro7 said:
How good is the music?
PepsimanVsJoe said:
If the music is anything like the first game expect it to be totally awesome.
The first one has o.k music to me, but I just love the sequel's music. The War Memorial stage is particularly awesome.

Can't wait for the US version :D

Aaron said:
There are a couple with semi-shared moved sets, like Lili and the second Terry, but even she has several unique moves and other tweaks that make a bit enough difference for me at least. Kim is pretty different from his female clone, and Mignon's sister is almost 100% new. It'll also take you a while to unlock everything with the crazy load of costumes.

Great game. Too bad it'll be completely ignored in the US.

Edit: Music is even better than the first. Pure awesome. :D

Damn I can't wait. I'm more hyped for this than Okami. There's only so many near perfect reviews and goty threads and posts before your expectation get unreasonably high. I had a pretty low bar for this but reading up on it recently I'm dying to get my hands on it.

Is there a full list of each characters moves? I'd kill for a in-depth faq but the only one I could find was on Geese:lol

For the first time in I can't remember how long, a US mag has given a KOF game a great review. OPM has given it a 8/10. They cite pretty much the same thing Lyte Edge has, about how this is greatly improved over the original (the review in fact, didnt' care for the first one). Amongst some of the improvements listed was a more fair ground game and you can cancel your opponents super with your own.

negitoro7

Any Canadian gaffers able to preorder this at EB? I tried today, and they said it doesn't exist in the system. They do have a "KOF" in their system with a release date of August, but they have 0 in stock. I have a feeling it's KoF 2006 but delayed. :S

Top Bottom