• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SM64: Collect Red Coins, Escape from the Green Demon

rpmurphy

Some Japanese guys play the Red Coins Stars while avoiding capture by the 1up mushroom. Hilarity ensues.

Talk is all Japanese of course, but it shouldn't be hard to infer what they're talking about even if you don't speak the language. There is some intro stuff at the beginning of each new video (like talking about location of the red coins). Aside from that, enjoy!

nico vids:
sm5457137 Outside Peach's Castle, Bomb-omb Battlefield
sm5476914 Bomb-omb Battlefield
sm5575312 Cool, Cool Mountain Part 1
sm5697689 Cool, Cool Mountain Part 2
sm6188097 Whomp's Fortress
sm7552074 Shifting Sand Lands
list 8299531

youtube:
Outside Peach's Castle, Bomb-omb Battlefield
Bomb-omb Battlefield (pt 1)
Bomb-omb Battlefield (pt 2)

Cool, Cool Mountain Part 1 (pt 1)
Cool, Cool Mountain Part 1 (pt 2)
Cool, Cool Mountain Part 2 (pt 1)
Cool, Cool Mountain Part 2 (pt 2)
Whomp's Fortress (pt 1)
Whomp's Fortress (pt 2)
Shifting Sand Land (pt 1)
Shifting Sand Land (pt 2)
Shifting Sand Land (pt 3)

jts

...hate me...
Oh man, that was weird but awesome :lol

I think I'll give these challanges a try one of these days, as I sure miss me some Mario 64.

Where is my Mario 64-2? Galaxy doesn't cut it :mad:

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jts said:

I'm all about Mario 64-2. I think they should use the M64DS engine and do it on DS. The bonus content in the DS version was well made. They just need to figure out the control issues. I personally didn't have much of a problem, but it's clear a lot of people did.

Cafeman

When the 1-up mushroom starts getting close, it is hilarious to hear the chirps and squawks from the player as he tried to get away! :D Also really funny in the 1st vid where he totally misses the 1st red coin sliding down the hill, they all crack up.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Stumpokapow said:
I'm all about Mario 64-2. I think they should use the M64DS engine and do it on DS. The bonus content in the DS version was well made. They just need to figure out the control issues. I personally didn't have much of a problem, but it's clear a lot of people did.

I blame d-pad issues. When I first tried to play, on my original DS, I could not make the game function in an acceptable fashion with the d-pad. I gave the game another shot (about 3 DS systems later) upon finishing up Galaxy, and had a MUCH easier time. I noticed that the game was programmed such that rolling from cardinal direction to linked diagonal to linked cardinal direction (more or less) accurately simulated analog stick-like movement. On my original DS, it was much tougher to hit the diagonals, thus "breaking" the analog stick-like functionality and creating odd control issues.

Not long after 120'ing Galaxy, I 150'd SM64 DS!

bard

That's it, I'm firing up the N64...

Mario 64 was so simple, that's what made it fun. No gimmicks like in Sunshine or Galaxy. You were just Mario, the world was 3D, and it was time to play.

KevinCow said:
Somehow, the fact that I can't understand what they're saying makes it even funnier.
The key terms to maximize your enjoyment are:

bikkuri, which is what Japanese people say when you startle or surprise them
abunai, which means 'dangerous', and is often used as 'be careful'

DangerStepp

Cafeman said:
When the 1-up mushroom starts getting close, it is hilarious to hear the chirps and squawks from the player as he tried to get away! :D Also really funny in the 1st vid where he totally misses the 1st red coin sliding down the hill, they all crack up.

That was the best part. This video makes me want to play Super Mario 64 now.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
These are the greatest videos ever :lol

Not only are they hilarious, be even us as the viewers are now playing "Find the Mushroom" along with them.

When they turn a corner and it's in their face I die laughing as they scream :lol

Baron

You know, I watched the first video...then the about half of the second, and still saw no funny. Starting to get annoyed, I randomly chose Pt 2 of Cool Cool Mountain - and holy crap, this is hilarious. I don't remember the green mushroom being so single-mindedly lethal in this game - doesn't it randomly wander off when spawned? How do they get it to follow them like this?

DangerStepp

Minute 2:40 on the RE2 video video has me in tears.

In an attempt to methodically sneak on the licker, he taps the d-pad ever so slightly which causes Claire's character model to slide across the floor intermittently only to have a licker jump from the roof. This is pure gold.

:lol :lol This is pretty awesome. It'd be a fun challenge, especially watching others get pissed off as they fail to notice that 1up mushroom follows them everywhere. I could almost imagine reactions like the people in the videos from some of my friends.

jts

...hate me...
Baron said:
You know, I watched the first video...then the about half of the second, and still saw no funny. Starting to get annoyed, I randomly chose Pt 2 of Cool Cool Mountain - and holy crap, this is hilarious. I don't remember the green mushroom being so single-mindedly lethal in this game - doesn't it randomly wander off when spawned? How do they get it to follow them like this?
Some are like that, some aren't. Tipically the ones that come from the top of trees or poles, are followers.

But there are other kinds of green mushrooms, some of them run away from you and disappear after a few seconds.

bard said:

Mario 64 was so simple, that's what made it fun. No gimmicks like in Sunshine or Galaxy. You were just Mario, the world was 3D, and it was time to play.

amen

these videos are so amazing

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
slaughterking said:
Someone should sub this. :I
That would definitely ruin it. It's so amazing to just hear them casually joking with each other and then all of a sudden the badass mushroom shows up and they start losing their shit :lol

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Bowser should employ that mushroom as one of his minions. It's relentless! :lol

I remember trying to escape it whenever I played too, but never thought about making a game out of it. Mario 64 is truly timeless for the playability it offers.

1up-mushroom.jpg

Fear it!

rpmurphy

Baron said:

Yeah, they do start off slow because they just chat away at the beginning.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So awesome. Breathes more life into an already impressive and classic game. Want to try these out.

Baron said:
As I recall, some 1-up Mushrooms run away from Mario while others follow him.

onipex

My cousin and I played this way when Mario 64 was released. We just tried to run from the green mushroom to see who could avoid it the longest. It's still funny as hell to watch.

Me and my friends have been trying to do these since we first saw the videos. We got Cool, Cool Mountain a couple days ago. Whomp's Fortress = mad hard.

Slavik81

That is amazing. I watched 5 minutes and then skipped forward, wondering why nothing had happened. Then suddenly a giant mushroom went flying into my face.

It was awesome.

Mejilan said:
I blame d-pad issues. When I first tried to play, on my original DS, I could not make the game function in an acceptable fashion with the d-pad.
Really? I thought it played fine on the launch D-pad. It was the poorly integrated bonus content that made me stop playing. It just didn't blend into the game very well.

I'd love something brand new with the old style. Neither Galaxy or Sunshine really did what Mario 64 did. And it would be awesome on DS.

In the RE2 one when the blast doors open revealing the plant-like creatures, he doesn't say anything at first and just when you think it didn't bother him he screams "WAAAHAAAAOOOOWWW!" like a mixture of "WHOA" and "WOW!" :lol

Mejilan

Slavik81 said:
Really? I thought it played fine on the launch D-pad. It was the poorly integrated bonus content that made me stop playing. It just didn't blend into the game very well.

I'd love something brand new with the old style. Neither Galaxy or Sunshine really did what Mario 64 did. And it would be awesome on DS.

Nah, you misunderstand. I didn't mean to imply that all launch DS Phats had d-pad issues. It's more of a YMMV thing. People to this day gripe and complain about the DSL d-pad, but mine's perfect. It wasn't a global, systemic flaw ala the PSP-1000s horrible d-pad, for example.

Personally, I loved the extra content. The ~40 or so new stars were fun as hell to get, and I really dug the new stages and bosses. To say nothing of the new playable characters and powers. It was a really nice remix, IMHO, and some of the new stuff was way, way more challenging than anything in the original SM64, which was disappointingly piss-easy, IMHO.

Mejilan said:
Personally, I loved the extra content. The ~40 or so new stars were fun as hell to get, and I really dug the new stages and bosses......

Wow, i didnt know mario 64 ds had that. I would like to play it play it but in full screen. Maybe a Wiiware Mario 64 DS port?

Mejilan

Yeah, SM64 DS upped the star count from 120 to 150, including new bonus stages and boss fights. It also made Luigi, Wario, and Yoshi playable, each with their own powers. Existing stages were somewhat remixed in order to account for the new characters/powers, to the extent where some of the 120 existing stars were rejiggered or completely changed. It also added a couple dozen mini-games, some of which were really great.

Considering that "vanilla" SM64 already hit the VC, I highly doubt that they have any plans of revisiting SM64 on the Wii in any form.

Christine

LouieGeetoo said:
As I recall, some 1-up Mushrooms run away from Mario while others follow him.

The ones that "run away" don't flee Mario, their movement is actually based on the analog stick input.

Dr.Hadji

bard said:

If you can call gravity a gimmick then you can very well call 3d a gimmick as well. And if anything, Galaxy is a simpler game than Mario64. So nice try there.

Hamfam

jts said:
Oh man, that was weird but awesome :lol

I think I'll give these challanges a try one of these days, as I sure miss me some Mario 64.

What about Sunshine? LOLZ

Top Bottom