• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamekult Rumour: Michel Ancel may leave Ubisoft after Rayman Legends [Ubi: Nope]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Via SolidSnakeX:

"Unfounded rumours!" Ubisoft France spokesperson Pascal Lecointe told Eurogamer France on our behalf. "Michel is currently working on Rayman Legends, a unique game that will be released on Wii U, Xbox 360 and PS3.

"Michel Ancel and Ubisoft therefore categorically deny these rumours."

A Ubisoft UK spokesperson refused to deny the suggestion that Ancel was leaving, simply telling Eurogamer that the company "would not comment on speculation and rumours".

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-that-rayman-creator-michel-ancel-is-quitting

---

I have no idea what Gamekult's rumour record is, but here.

Long and short of it, they're claiming their source states Michel Ancel, along with five/six people, are humouring the prospect of leaving Ubisoft once all of Rayman Legends is complete. The reason being the desire to detach from a large company and find more freedom in creation and organisation.

According to them, Ubisoft is aware of Ancel's position. Ubisoft has "categorically denied" the report, apparently.

Loose Translation:

"Two delays and the loss of temporary exclusivity for Rayman Legends on Wii U might have pissed off players, but it's also causing quite a stir at Ubisoft Montpellier.

Based on several sources, Michel Ancel might be thinking of leaving Ubisoft with his own team once Legends is finished, and start a new project with other people (different company?). He talks about wanting more liberty in creating and organizing his project. This is not the first time Ancel has spoken of leaving, but so far he's always stayed with Ubi.

Development of Rayman Legends is pretty much over, even though there is some work left to do on the PS3 and X360 versions. Ancel would like to calmly leave Ubisoft, taking some people with him. If it should happen, it wouldn't be a crying affair. Ubi is aware, and they might choose to be involved in Ancel's next project either way, even if he chooses to leave, as per an anonymous developer. Another source says Ancel has already given notice he is leaving, as he has other contacts and projects he'd like to work on. Five or six Montpellier personnel would be ready to leave with him. The idea is that Ancel would remain "tied to Rayman", whatever happens.

This might explain in part the further delay and the premature announcement of the Rayman Legends port to other platform. With Ancel possibly on his way out, he would have less motivation to contest the decision to port, as he is already looking to greener pastures. Several sources state Ubi and Nintendo were unable to come to an agreement on distribution and marketing of Legends, which was a reason for the port to PS3 / X360.

Ubisoft and Ancel categorically deny these rumours. We probably won't know much more until a couple more months, unless more sources start spilling the beans."

Like I said guys, just a quick translation.

Xater

To be honest I think this would be a good thing. It just seems like Ancel can't really get done what he would like to do. BGE2 for example.

TechJunk

I posted a translation in the other thread about Ancel showing up at the protest, if anybody wants a read.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I posted a translation in the other thread about Ancel showing up at the protest, if anybody wants a read.

Copied it to the op, if you don't mind.

I tweeted this last night.

Lk5gkx1.png

I did not expect a real answer so soon.

*cries*

miksar

Iwata, here's your chance to approach a top-tier western 3rd party developer to collaborate on something. If you don't at least try that, you clearly deserve 3rd party support you get.

King_Moc

Banned
Can't say i blame him. He needs to find a company that'll let him set up his own team and have creative control over everything.

PaulloDEC

I'd really fear for the Rayman franchise if this turns out to be true, but as others are saying, it's probably a smart move for Ancel.

ymmv

Banned
Can't say i blame him. He needs to find a company that'll let him set up his own team and have creative control over everything.

Sony would fit the bill. Look at how much leeway they give to developers like ThatGameCompany and Team Ico to make the perfect game.

wrowa

To be honest I think this would be a good thing. It just seems like Ancel can't really get done what he would like to do. BGE2 for example.

It is. If he really leaves with just a handfull of people, it seems unlikely that he's going to develop something on the scale of BG&E2 anytime soon (or even ever again), but during the last year's his potential has pretty much been wasted at Ubisoft. Everything's better than the current state.

Sony would fit the bill. Look at how much leeway they give to developers like ThatGameCompany and Team Ico to make the perfect game.
Ew, no. I would rather Ancel focus on gameplay design than being told to hyper-obsess over technology.

Corto

Hope it's true, and I REALLY hope he goes independent while working multiplatform. A talent like his needs the biggest audience possible.

Ew, no. I would rather Ancel focus on gameplay design than being told to hyper-obsess over technology.

I would rather him focus in whatever he wanted.

1-D_FTW

I remember when they showed the first Rayman Origins and talked about how quick and easy they were able to create things. And then it turned into retail somewhere along the way.

I could see Ancel thriving in the DD space.

If its not the first time hes thought about leaving then its not surprising; but their maybe putting too much importance on this delay.

Everyone wants their own freedom.

Margalis

Banned
They made it pretty clear in this video that they are working on new levels, bosses etc.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZeabndRjms

After busting their asses working night and day for months only to have their finished game delayed for a half-year I'm going to guess that whatever they are working on they aren't working on it with much enthusiasm or sense of urgency.

I suspect many of them are already mentally and emotionally checked out.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I remember rumors about him already wanting to leave the company years ago over BG&E2. Wouldn't be surprised if he did it.

UberTag

If Ancel escapes from the Ubisoft nest so he can flap his wings unimpeded, I hope it's not to a developer that eventually gets absorbed by Ubisoft.
If so, he can always ask Patrice Désilets what that's like.

Desiato

Good for him if true. One of the most talented European developers in my opinion, but Ubisoft treats him like shit.

Good for you Michel! Find a new home at Nintendo :)

Oh wow, never even thought of this. This would be the best thing that could ever happen.

Haunted

Ubisoft should do everything in their power to keep Ancel around, he's their biggest creative genius.

Problem is, you can't keep such a guy shackled forever.

Famassu

as far as we know, Ancel DOES get to do Beyond Good & Evil 2. The simple reason why it isn't out yet is because they have their plans for it, plans that require, by Ancel's own words, more powerful hardware than what PS360 can provide. So... there's a chance BG&E2 will be released in the next 2-3 years.

TimmiT

After busting their asses working night and day for months only to have their finished game delayed for a half-year I'm going to guess that whatever they are working on they aren't working on it with much enthusiasm or sense of urgency.

I suspect many of them are already mentally and emotionally checked out.

While I'm not sure if they like doing this, that wasn't really my point. My point is that at least one thing about this rumour is wrong.

injurai

Banned
I hope he still works on BGE2 in either a contract or freelanced work. I'd hate for him that not have a hand in that... unless of course the preproduction is mostly finished.

CTLance

I was wondering why he clung to this job at Ubi so doggedly.

I shall refresh kickstarter furiously in anticipation. I wouldn't mind financing Ancel&Co's future games - to the best of my ability.

With the way they treat him, it would not surprise me in the slightest. To be honest, Ancel and Kickstarter would go together like Italian Herbs and Cheese and Subway.

Good for him. I could see him going indie with a small team like that and developing iOS/Android stuff ala Peter Molyneux or small indie PC DD stuff.

The last thing I'd expect a creative guy wanting more creative control like Ancel to do would be to leave one mega publisher like Ubi just to go to another mega publisher or Sony or Nintendo.

Besides, Ubi probably was never going to let Beyond Good and Evil 2 happen anyway, let alone finance it considering the first one's stellar sales numbers. I bet Ubi told him something like Rayman would have to sell an unrealistic amount of copies for them to green light it.

Top Bottom