• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Beta starts February 25th + New Screenshots

N.A

Banned
Beta Applications still open:

NA: http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/na

EU (English): http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/eu
EU (French): http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/fr
EU (German): http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/de

JP: http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/jp

Hello again to all of you eagerly awaiting FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn. Yoshi-P here, and I survived my flight, allowing me to bring you the forty-third Letter from the Producer from San Francisco! (I don't know why I have to fly everywhere. )

I'm sorry for taking so long to put up this letter, but the news you've all been waiting for is finally here. Assuming no dastardly bugs or server errors slow us down, phase 1 of the beta test will begin on February 25!

The roadmap we released has the schedule set for mid-February, so the start is about a week late. However, the extra time has allowed us to prepare more system features and character options for testing. While you all enjoy the game, I hope you also provide us with tons of feedback like you did during the alpha test.

I've been on a roll with screenshots lately, so here are a few from our own phase 1 testing that I found tucked away on my hard drive.

8823_0.jpg

8823_1.jpg

8823_2.jpg

The following screenshots are of a new system that will be ready for testing from phase 1: Full Active Time Events, or FATE for short. These events will take place in non-instanced areas and appear at random. Players can participate by simply being within proximity of the event, and there's no need to form parties. Rewards are automatically distributed when it's over, making it easy to jump in and have fun.

8823_3.jpg

8823_4.jpg

8823_5.jpg

If you happen to come across one while you're out questing, give it a try. There will be several kinds, including some that are triggered by NPCs, so stay sharp!

In addition to FATE, another feature you can look forward to is the new guildhest system. This was originally the behest system in Version 1.0, but after tweaking it so much, we thought it deserved a new name. lol!

Even now, we're still making adjustments, so I can't promise it'll be ready in time for the start of phase 1. We may be forced to implement it later with a patch, but rest assured we'll try our best to stay on schedule.

Also, just like the alpha test, phase 1 of the beta test will be limited to the areas around Gridania. Quests from the main scenario will be available, but because these require travel to other nations at level 15, they will be limited. Sidequests are designed to accompany the main scenario, so it may be a bit of a pain to level up after that point. This won’t be the case in the official release version, but until then we ask that you do your leveling through the variety of content that will be available.

8823_6.jpg

8823_7.jpg

8823_8.jpg

8823_9.jpg

If you're up to the challenge, an instanced dungeon designed with level 30 players in mind will also be ready for testing. The boss has a few tricks up its sleeve that are sure to give you a run for your money.

Well, I had better get going. I’m going to fortify myself with a dinner of steak and red wine, then it’s on to the media tour!

Some more screenshots from the blog:

JP20130215_2.jpg

JP20130215_3.jpg

JP20130215_4.jpg

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wasn't this game supposed to hit PS3 in Q1 of 2003? Seeing the screenshots I wouldn't be surprised if this one makes the leap to next gen too.

erawsd

Can't wait to try it out. I've learned not to indulge too heavily into MMO betas though, or I burn out before the real thing.

erawsd

I payed 3 months and I didnt get legacy, there was a cut off date actually :p

If I were you'd I'd try asking someone about it. I actually started playing after that deadline and still a managed to get legacy. Only months I ever payed for were July, Aug, Sept -- Sept was the last month they charged any money for the game. Not just me either, I started same time as a friend and he also got Legacy.

If I were you'd I'd try asking someone about it. I actually started playing after that deadline and still a managed to get legacy. Only months I ever payed for were July, Aug, Sept -- Sept was the last month they charged any money for the game. Not just me either, I started same time as a friend and he also got Legacy.

Did you pick the 180 day sub? That could explain why you managed to get legacy. I know they removed that option later but not sure when it was.

ebil

I really wish those screens were Desktop size or something...

Yeah, they insist on posting only tiny screens on their blog / forum updates for some reason. We should have a lot more media next week with Yoshida's media tour currently underway.

Anyway: I'm more than ready to go back to Eorzea!

Shamdeo

I think it bears repeating that Beta Phase 1 and 2 will be available to Legacy players (edit: likely priority pick). Phase 3 will draft people from outside the Legacy pool with Phase 4 being an "open beta".

Phase 3 likely won't begin until April at the earliest.

jfkeCOxqN5NF5.png

ebil

I think it bears repeating that Beta Phase 1 and 2 will be available to Legacy players only. Phase 3 will draft people from outside the Legacy pool with Phase 4 being an "open beta".

Phase 3 likely won't begin until April at the earliest.
I don't think they ever outright told it was going to be legacy players only. Legacy Players will have guaranteed access, but that doesn't mean they won't give beta keys to other people who applied in addition. They're even planning to double the number of Worlds for phase 2 (according to the Beta Roadmap) which makes me think they're going to let additional accounts in as time goes.

Posted this in the community thread.

Looks like invites are being sent out.

Heroes of Eorzea─your time has come! Phase 1 of the FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Beta Test is scheduled to begin on February 25. Beta tester acceptance e-mails are already on their way, so keep an eye out for your summons.

Bashtee

I'm quite hyped for the remake. I hope it will provide more content than the original game did at start.
teleporting between visited Lodestones LOL

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hopefully I get into the beta in order to lose interest before the subscriptions kick in.

Shamdeo

I don't think they ever outright told it was going to be legacy players only. Legacy Players will have guaranteed access, but that doesn't mean they won't give beta keys to other people who applied in addition. They're even planning to double the number of Worlds for phase 2 (according to the Beta Roadmap) which makes me think they're going to let additional accounts in as time goes.

I think that's how it'll play out, yes. You're also right about them not explicity saying "Legacy only". Though, after people bemoaned the alpha invite process, I felt the need to err on the side of caution. ;)

Khrno

People who bought the game are guaranteed a key, right?

People who bought the game and had an account (even if they only played once on 2010) will be able to download the new client when ARR launches, and there should be a free month. Also phase 4 is the open beta.

moozoom

I've applied for the European beta on PS3, I wonder if I'll get onto it... I think they will send PSN download codes for the selected people, I don't think they'll send demo blu-rays for this.

I'm really curious to see how the game really looks on PS3.

Boss Man

Been waiting for this PS3 version for a good while, I played FFXI for 7 years. I gotta admit my interest has dropped over time though. I mean, new consoles and next-gen games will be here soon. I hope there will be a PS4 version.

N.A

Banned
Been waiting for this PS3 version for a good while, I played FFXI for 7 years. I gotta admit my interest has dropped over time though. I mean, new consoles and next-gen games will be here soon. I hope there will be a PS4 version.

Almost certain (as long as it doesn't bomb). Yoshi said a while ago they'll be looking at other platforms after release.

ebil

Since the engine is highly scalable this time around, there's probably going to be one down the road if Sony's online policy still allow for it (and I don't see why they wouldn't, but you never know). Yoshida has never dismissed the idea of porting the game to other systems, he just wants to finally get the game going on PS3 first and foremost.

EDIT: beaten to death.

Midou

So I stopped reading anything about this after alpha test, if I got into the alpha, is it guaranteed to be in everything else, like the beta?

BadWolf

Wonder if I'll get an invite, entered the FF13 code when signing up as well.

Will be my first time playing an MMO and participating in a beta if I do get one.

Midou

Nope, it's a new pool, no one is guaranteed in Phase 1/2 except Legacy folk.

That is fine then, I liked the alpha a lot and thought it was good enough for me to play when it finally comes out.

I just need to make sure I remember my password by then. :p

Top Bottom