• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront will not receive any Episode VII DLC

https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/679889118759763970

starwars2fp00.png

How can they fuck this up? This should have been a no-brainer. Jesus.

Prequel trilogy content not being in this is a real loss. Would have been fun to use droids, clones, participate in the clone wars, and so on.

I thought this was already a thing?

I kinda figured since all the characters so far have been from the original trilogy, and the maps, like battle of jakku, were from around the same time period.

Alienous

Non Star Wars fan here.

What more does the original trilogy have? I thought Battlefront's lack of content was partially because they covered most of what the original trilogy could give.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I can see Battlefront 2 having a campaign during the new trilogy, they are saving it for that.

I don't see a problem with it tbh.

Non Star Wars fan here.

What more does the original trilogy have? I thought Battlefront's lack of content was partially because they covered most of what the original trilogy could give.

It's true that there's only 2 land battles in the original Trilogy, but there are plenty of locations and stories to draw battles from. Also they can take a previously unseen locations and use them, this is what they did with Sullust.

I don't understand. How is this a fuck up?

Because a) people were expecting something like this due to the inclusion of the "Battle of Jakku" map and b) it is not hard to make a First Order Stormtrooper skin or something like that.

Eh... How is this a fuck up? It would only be wise to save shit for the next game while this focuses on the first triligy.

They don't need to save shit for the next game, they already made sure there is plenty of shit that they can use for the next game.

That's kinda weird. It'd have been really obvious to include content from the shiny new movie in the shiny new game.

Saving it for the sequel, probably.

I thought about picking this up just because I wanted to play as Kylo Ren.

They also have prequel stuff in Palpatine so I don't know what's going on

Xater

Disappointing, but I guess they have no good ideas for the sequel so this will be their future selling point.

Prequel trilogy content not being in this is a real loss. Would have been fun to use droids, clones, participate in the clone wars, and so on.

Nah, I don't want any of that shit.

Disappointing, but I guess they have no good ideas for the sequel so this will be their future selling point.

Good for you, reason why battlefront 2 was great because of all the content and battles it had. I'll take a shit load more weapons and content over people's unhealthy hate to the prequel movies.

Alienous

It's true that there's only 2 land battles in the original Trilogy, but there are plenty of locations and stories to draw battles from. Also they can take a previously unseen locations and use them, this is what they did with Sullust.

But they'd have to also use unseen heroes, right?

Four new heroes. Yoda? Obi-Wan? As I understand it they didn't fight in the original trilogy.

Battlefront personally seems like a how to destroy a franchise. Deliver a multiplayer game light on actual content with no single player pay over the odds for it and don't include any content from social hyped related media.

I'd love a Republic Commando 2 done in that engine and hope it gets lots of use going forward because the results are STUNNING

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Good for you, reason why battlefront 2 was great because of all the content and battles it had. I'll take a shit load more weapons and content over people's unhealthy hate to the prequel movies.

This, The land battles in the Ep. 2 & 3 as well as The Clone Wars would be absolutely spectacular on the Frostbite engine.

Also: Droidekas!

But they'd have to also use unseen heroes, right?

Four new heroes. Yoda? Obi-Wan? As I understand it they didn't fight in the original trilogy.

It's not really sticking to the cannon, so this wouldn't be an issue. The Emperor has an ability and his shocktrooper guards from Ep. 3. There are other heroes that they could use. Lando, Chewie, Emperors Guard. That's just off the top of my head, Yoda and Obi-Wan will almost certainly be included

DryvBy

tumblr_inline_nyeguq2ZD41tr32r8_500.gif

Jakku was one year after Endor, it's still in the OT timeline.

But that's not in the original Trilogy (movies), which it seems they're saying the focus is on. It's not VII but that's the first time we see it. In fact, when they visit the exact location we fight on in BF in Episode VII.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Expected. They can't have VII and OG content mix because lore.

So just having a couple maps from EPVII would mean all weapons, character models, vehicles, heroes, voiceovers, etc would have to be redone. And all for only a couple maps with a smaller user base than vanilla.

Best to save it for BF4.

black070

Wonder which four Hero/Villain characters they'll be able to add from the original trilogy.

Yoda and Obi Wan could work I suppose.. Chewbacca ? Jabba ?

The game already lacks content as is. Adding prequel stuff right from the start would have bumped the value. How much can they milk out of 4,5, and 6?

Markitron

Not having any kind game or game content realeasing in parallel with a huge movie? How is this not a fucked up? When anything TFA related sells like crazy.

Anything Star Wars related is selling like crazy now, it doesn't have to be from TFA.

pottuvoi

Banned
Not having any kind game or game content realeasing in parallel with a huge movie? How is this not a fucked up? When anything TFA related sells like crazy.
Agreed that a Star Wars game released with the movie would have been nice.

Problem is the amount of assets needed to create it.
All units have been changed in appearance in SWVII, it's not a small DLC for a game.

Expected. They can't have VII and OG content mix because lore.

So just having a couple maps from EPVII would mean all weapons, character models, vehicles, heroes, voiceovers, etc would have to be redone. And all for only a couple maps with a smaller user base than vanilla.

Best to save it for BF4.

I doubt that the Empire suddenly decided to immediately replace every Stormtrooper armor and every weapon. Episode VII is only a few years after Episode VI after all. And it's not like the game is that faithful to the original trilogy, considering you see Luke in his Episode VI outfit on Hoth, or Leia in her Episode V outfit on Tatooine. The game doesn't even have a story mode, it's just a collection of maps and game modes.

Top Bottom