• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria Sells Over 1 Million Copies, Gets Trailer For 1.1 Patch/Free Expansion Pack

Hasn't this games popularity crashed over the past some weeks? It use to always chart on Steam's top 5 list now its fallen to 13 with a fraction of its usual players.

Glad to hear they are having great success. I personally have sunk in over 40 hours, can't wait to see how much more I sink in.

Ubisoft:

bfeaj.gif

First person to quote this message gets a copy of Terraria.

Hello

Derrick01

Banned
Hasn't this games popularity crashed over the past some weeks? It use to always chart on Steam's top 5 list now its fallen to 13 with a fraction of its usual players.

Most people have been waiting for this patch, not to mention a ton of games have come out in the past few months. I personally skipped the last patch because I didn't want to create a new world for an incremental update when I knew this was around the corner.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow! That looks awesome. I love the new backgrounds. The colored lighting is cool but seems like it could be distracting but I'll hold off until I try the patch. Now I really can't wait to start a new character and world.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Most people have been waiting for this patch, not to mention a ton of games have come out in the past few months. I personally skipped the last patch because I didn't want to create a new world for an incremental update when I knew this was around the corner.

Yeah, the game as it stood just kind of ran out of content at one point.

Game Guru

I'd like to say that I was one of the million buyers... but I can't.

Because I got it gifted to me from a friend for my birthday!

ZZMitch

Wow, I played this a while back but took a break from it. I will surely be coming back for this update.

Everyone looks so pretty, love all the colors. Really is 2D done right graphics wise IMO

inky

1 million? Wow. I bought this game but never really played it, I guess it is better with other people, but I have no friends =( (who play terraria).

foreveralone.jpg

Shai-Tan

Banned

This is the issue with games that have no objective (see Minecraft). They get stale quickly if you don't love building things.

It depends on what you mean by "quickly". I stopped playing in 1.04... after playing like 30 hours.

charsace

Deserved. Its 3rd on my GOTY list behind Deus Ex and Gears 3. One of the best exclusive games this year. Way more people should actually play this.

Will they go on sale for $2.50 again? I was seriously burned from the last time they did that and I didn't buy fast enough.
If you want the game buy it. Don't wait for a sale. This game could easily sell for $30 IMO.

Atomski

Starting a new character with the patch and probably host a server for me and a few friends. Totally hyped to get back into it.

Enco

It depends on what you mean by "quickly". I stopped playing in 1.04... after playing like 30 hours.
I actually played it for a while too. I have zero interest in going back to it right now but maybe this update will change things.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Not sure if this will get me back in the game, but I had a fun 15 hour romp in it when it was new.

TheExodu5

Banned
That was a great trailer.

This is the issue with games that have no objective (see Minecraft). They get stale quickly if you don't love building things.

This game does have an objective: get better gear and explore the different environments. It's much more structured than Minecraft. The original game lasted me around 25 hours. It certainly has a lot more content now.

There goes my life again! I need to plan out what I want to set up in my world this time around. Those new bosses look really difficult now and hopefully will be attuned appropriately to the number of players in the world.

ToxicAdam

I was going to make a thread, but I'll just put it here. If you guys like Terraria, I urge you to try out King Arthurs Gold. It's kind of like Terraria meets Stronghold meets Team Fortress. I really think it's one of the best indie games of the year. Multiplayer only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5xakGLn2yI

Anyways, love Terraria, but kind of got burned out of it once I got down to the lowest levels and kept dying. Maybe this update will give me more arsenal to fight through those levels.

pr0cs

I like the game but recently my HDD crashed and I lost my save game and since then the game got a LOT harder (in many places artificially harder) so it's really difficult to want to go back and start over again.

Vlad

Funny thing is, there has been a loose objective (or if not that, at least a progression) of sorts when it comes to Terraria. There are plenty of places that you either just can't get to or are way too dangerous until after you've made better armor and weapons.

Minecraft also has an actual objective now, as well.

Atomski

The game has about as much of an objective as any dungeon crawler or mmo. Kill stuff.. get better loot fight harder stuff get even better loot.

I only wish Minecraft had the content Terraria did.

1 million copies. Wooow.

That trailer looks good. They've added/are adding quite a bit of stuff since the last time I played. New bosses are pretty freaky, especially that wall of flesh.

Great trailer. Good to see it sold 1 million copies, well deserved for such a nice game.

Played it over 80 hours in 2 weeks after summer sales then got burnt out but will get back to it after 1.1 for sure.

Top Bottom