• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK set to trigger Brexit on March 29

When should the UK celebrate Independence Day?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NekoFever

Brain drain is going to be one of the most crippling parts of all this. If the EU is smart they'll make it easy for skilled workers to get out of the UK.

Just watch the health services. So many doctors already know they can get better pay, conditions, quality of life, etc abroad, and a qualified British doctor can almost take their pick of other countries. We've got a government that's undermining and dismantling the NHS at every opportunity, and the NHS is going to lose the option of quickly and easily hiring doctors from within the EU.

My girlfriend's a doctor and has a ridiculous number of medical friends who've left for Australia in the last couple of years. Pretty sure she's had her head turned after going out there for a wedding last year.

iMax

We're walking into the proverbial final exam of our time having done no revision, with no idea of what the questions will be, and with an examiner whose best interests are to see us fail.

We're fucked.

That's what retakes are for!

The final fuck you from the baby boomer Thatcherite cunts that weren't content of fucking over one generation but had to stick it to the even youngest.

Fuck these Thatcherite cunts, luckily enough for them they'll all be fucking dead by the time the real strain hits.

Don't worry though after brexit it's the fucking disabled on benefits that'll be blamed for ruining the country.

If there's a riot where we finally target the fucking Tory leadership I'll be there to drag these cunts out their houses. Bastille Day these fucks.

But like i said they'll all be dead by that time. We're literally making decisions on the countries future based on the wishes of a bunch of soon to be dead boomer cunts.

Cos they worked so hard for their massive wealth Thatcher fucking served them up, honest.
The ironic thing is that the Tories are going to destroy Thatcher's legacy.

Murkas

Just got an email saying I will be receiving my control sometime this week, I can't wait.

What you guys planning to do with your control once it arrives?

BibiMaghoo

I'd like to blame the impending failure of our country as something 100% on the Leave voters. The reality however, is it is David Camerons fault. He played with political fire to appease hardliners in his party, never considering he may actually not get the result he was certain of. Ruined his own career and legacy by dropping the country in the bin then making a swift exit.

Leave voters were sheep, but this man led them unintentionally to the hands of Murdoch and Farage.

DSN2K

I think the doom & gloom train wreck scenarios are mostly overstated.

Britain will survive like it always has done, we will likely be worse off for it but ultimately the decision has been made. who knows perhaps 10-20 years down the line we will rejoin.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Legal consensus is leaving the EU isn't final until the day a country actually leaves, at the end of negotiations.

Note that this is merely informed opinion, and has never received official legal clarification to date.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Ironically, there's a massive Pro-EU March / Demo in London on the 25th.

oti

Banned

Britain will survive like it always has done, we will likely be worse off for it but ultimately the decision has been made. who knows perhaps 10-20 years down the line we will rejoin.

The UK won't end up being Fallout 4. But this surely must be the absolute dumbest decision a sovereign nation has ever made. Greece's No was dumb too, but they remained pragmatic in the end. Brexit is just lunacy.

Even if we do rejoin, which is inevitable, the UK either has to become a state of Europe or America eventually to remain relevant, we will never have it as good as we did now.

My hatred of 52% of the UK will never go away.

Plum

Unless you can present some idea of how this won't fuck the nation up then no, none of the "train wreck" scenarios are overatated. I'm tired of baseless optimism when nothing has been shown to justify it other than rhetoric that usually amounts to "always look on the bright side of life!" I'd rather not live the prime time of my life in a country where "survival" is its best option.

theaface

This mentality absolutely baffles me. It equates to "So we're knowingly and willingly going to make things materially worse for ourselves for no discernible benefit but hey, the decision is made so full steam ahead regardless!"

Can anyone explain to me a GOOD reason (populism and pacifying the press don't qualify) why a country would embark on a path of self-harm as the negative consequences of doing so become more and more prevalent?

In what other walk of life would a person continue to do something that harmed themselves just because they said they would do it in the first place? It's like driving down the motorway at night with your headlights off and hoping for the best. Absolutely lunacy.

Incidentally any rejoin scenario (which is decades away), would see us rejoin on considerably poorer terms than we currently enjoy, and without GBP as our currency. Again, if that's the inevitable long term conclusion of this whole chapter, what is the fucking point?

This mentality absolutely baffles me. It equates to "So we're knowingly and willingly going to make things materially worse for ourselves for no discernible benefit but hey, the decision is made so full steam ahead regardless!"

Can anyone explain to me a GOOD reason (populism and pacifying the press don't qualify) why a country would embark on a path of self-harm as the negative consequences of doing so become more and more prevalent?

In what other walk of life would a person continue to do something that harmed themselves just because they do said thing? It's like driving down the motorway at night with your headlights off and hoping for the best. Absolutely lunacy.

that's nationalism for yeah, people are ready to justify the irrational worst in the name of Country First even if it makes everyone in the country suffer

Tosyn_88

This is like drinking poison, you know its going to probably kill you but because the voice of some are so loud, it continues to urge you to drink anyway

Daffy Duck

In what other walk of life would a person continue to do something that harmed themselves just because they do said thing? It's like driving down the motorway at night with your headlights off and hoping for the best. Absolutely lunacy.

Incidentally any rejoin scenario (which is decades away), would see us rejoin on considerably poorer terms than we currently enjoy, and without GBP as our currency. Again, if that's the inevitable long term conclusion of this whole chapter, what is the fucking point?

Yep, I don't get this at all, it's crazy that we are actually being taken down this road, I cannot believe the leaders of our country are just so willing to go down this road.

There are some very scary times ahead.

Plum

Hopefully the UK feels better about keeping the brown people out after this.

The brown people won't be kept out. Even then, the little Englanders in their depressing retirement villages who voted Brexit would have never seen them outside of the Daily Mail; the counties with the most brown people almost all voted Remain.

It sucks for all you British people, but atleast you don't have Donald Trump running your country.

Out of curiousity, when would it be possible to reverse this decision? Could there be a vote held to rejoin the EU?
Possible but extremely unlikely, and since rejoining would put us at an even worse position we are at now (still in) the public even less likely to vote back in. Losing the pound would be enough for many.

The ironic thing is that the Tories are going to destroy Thatcher's legacy.

Thatchers legacy was that of, people could retire early at 50 and take sweet govt pension.

I got a family boomer member, who had that happen, was running a partition of London council, with a zoology degree. Then thatcher takes about 1/3 of the government held council houses then creates a fucking fire sale for everyone to get rich on a sweet mortgage.

The wealth and opportunity between someone who was financially active during the early 80s to late 70s to say now, is so fucking vast and staggering.

House prices were so god damn low back then, anyone with half a sense of business acumen was going to live a cushty life. And the people picking up the bill? Would be anyone in the UK that are around 25-35.

My one family member and her brother went in on a house in Hamstead for example, for about 6 grand. (adjust for inflaction). It's just night and day the contrast of economic mobility from then to now.

The brown people won't be kept out. Even then, the little Englanders in their depressing retirement villages who voted Brexit would have never seen them outside of the Daily Mail; the counties with the most brown people almost all voted Remain.
Said it before, but likely to be even more 'brown people' when we start engaging with the commonwealth countries more.

In what other walk of life would a person continue to do something that harmed themselves just because they said they would do it in the first place? It's like driving down the motorway at night with your headlights off and hoping for the best. Absolutely lunacy.

How about moving out of your parents' house? Most of the time this results in you being less well off in the short term.

And hey you can always move back in if it goes tits-up :)

DavidDesu

As a pro indy Scot I'm curious to see negotiations begin. I do expect Scotland to become a bargaining chip, but likely mentioned under the radar unofficially on the sidelines.

It's depressing to think this is actually happening and that if all goes to plan we will not be EU citizens in a couple of years from now. How did it come to this?

I really like the EU there in the background making sure my government doesn't do anything too extreme, like rewriting our human rights and so on... I really don't want to live under these authoritarian Tories for the next couple of decades and seeing what they can do with complete power and control.

Said it before, but likely to be even more 'brown people' when we start engaging with the commonwealth countries more.

Yep. Meanwhile, if our emigration numbers don't go up (realised they've actually been relatively stable for a few years now), net migration isn't gonna drop like a rock the way a number of those voting Brexit want it to.

Edit:
So once Brexit is triggered, there's no going back, right? The UK will have to leave the EU?

We can technically have a change of heart in the two years, for which we would need the unanimous consent of the other member states.

Thing is, we're in 2017, and the next General Election - the only legally required means by which the public might express its current feelings on the matter - is scheduled for 2020. The next time we get a say, it will already be over.

The Hobo

It'll be interesting to see how Ireland fares in all this. A lot of companies have to be looking at it as the new bridge between the US and the EU.

ittoryu

How about moving out of your parents' house? Most of the time this results in you being less well off in the short term.

And hey you can always move back in if it goes tits-up :)
That doesn't really apply if you can't move back in straight up but you'll need to wait X number of years.

Heartfyre

I'm hoping that the next election really is in May 2020. At that point, it'll be a year after the maximum period for the negotiations, and the weight of Brexit should truly be apparent.

And it'll be the Tories there to face it. They voted in the Commons for it, and their names are tied to the responsibility for all that transpires.

I'm glad to be visiting London this weekend. One last look before history takes its course.

Xe4

Banned
You think the pound is going to hit parity with the dollar before the month is out? I wouldn't be surprised, honestly.

cartesian

I voted Leave and I still feel okay about how I voted. To simplify my perspective, I think it's going to be quite messy but I think that life will go on. I would like to see some compromises in certain policy areas but I acknowledge that it's hard to predict what each side will prioritise. Anyway, I won't type out a huge essay defending my decision as I think we've all made up our minds by now! But I hope for the best.

I'm hoping that the next election really is in May 2020. At that point, it'll be a year after the maximum period for the negotiations, and the weight of Brexit should truly be apparent.

And it'll be the Tories there to face it. They voted in the Commons for it, and their names are tied to the responsibility for all that transpires.

Thank God the opposition took a stand against it though, right?

I'm glad to be visiting London this weekend. One last look before history takes its course.

You know Labour, the EU and anyone else will take the blame if things go wrong.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You think the pound is going to hit parity with the dollar before the month is out? I wouldn't be surprised, honestly.

No. People have known this was going to happen, the odds of Theresa May deciding not to go ahead at this point were vanishingly low. Article 50 being triggered is already priced into the pound and I don't expect much movement on the formal announcement. What the pound will react to is news about the negotiating process as it goes along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom