• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D demo on eShop this week

codhand

I already have the HD Collection, but that's not really affecting my decision whether or not to purchase this.

What IS affecting it is the fact that the HD Collection is coming to Vita...

Yeah, I'm waiting for Vita MGS HD, which will likely cost exactly the same with 4x the content, -1 dimension.

Ridley327

Was this confirmed for US? I thought that the screenshots shown were of the JP version which never included Peace Walker.

They haven't even hinted at Peace Walker HD for Vita in Japan. It seems unlikely at this point just because of the current game card size limitations.

KillGore

Was this confirmed for US? I thought that the screenshots shown were of the JP version which never included Peace Walker.

Exactly, nothing has been confirmed. Japanese MGS Collection was MGS2 and MGS3 only, PW was sold separately. Could be the same case with the screenshot Kojima posted.

krumble

They should release the GameCube twin snakes on 3ds... The machine can handle it and the game is Nintendo exclusive I believe.. So the fit is perfect, no?

StuBurns

Banned
Exactly, nothing has been confirmed. Japanese MGS Collection was MGS2 and MGS3 only, PW was sold separately. Could be the same case with the screenshot Kojima posted.
While true, it's not confirmed, it's also not confirmed to be otherwise, and the PS360 Collection was confirmed otherwise the same time it was announced. It's possible, but there's been nothing to suggest it so far.

I don't even understand how MGS2 and 3 are on the same game cart, they must be compressed to fuck as it is.

I played the demo without the CPP. Controls just like Peacewalker, meaning, perfectly fine. I thought the visuals were nice. Not RE:R nice, but then again, RE:R looks better than PS2 games. There is some framerate issues with the cutscenes. Not while playing the game, which makes me think this demo wasn't optimized with the new character models in cutscenes. One thing MGS2, 3 and 4 do is use higher quality models in cutscenes than during gameplay sections, which makes perfect sense.

I saw nothing wrong with the demo though. Seems like an old build to a good superior version of MGS3. I am actually torn if I will even use the CPP with this game. I had zero problems using the face buttons for the camera. It felt like as if I never put Peacewalker down.

Day 1 still.

Just downloaded and playing now but quick impressions so far:

It's actually not that bad looking, it's not as good as the HD version of course but if this demo was a first/ early build then the final product will be even more amazing.

Always wondered how peace walker on a handheld would control, if it's like MGS3 3D then I'll be picking it up soon.

Ladder in 3D might be :O

Zornica

Banned
Packed with detail, both in terms of it's environments and mechanics, this is a game that pays back investment in spades. MGS3 is a moden classic - the tighest, smartest and most emotional journey in the series - and even the HD update doesn't look as good as this portable treatment 8/10

Is this quote real? It doesn't sound much like the demo... I wonder why they would release a bad demo that puts people off?

Ridley327

Is this quote real? It doesn't sound much like the demo... I wonder why they would release a bad demo that puts people off?

Like I mentioned earlier, it's not even new for MGS3; the PS2 game had a very off-putting demo, as well.

Incidentally, both covered the same part of Virtuous Mission!

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Really having trouble wrapping my brain around these controls. Why the hell isn't there an option for Gyro camera while aiming? It would be a ton better then what is offered right now. Please someone tell me they have an option for that in the final version.

Bottom line: If you have a Vita then you shouldn't even consider picking this up over the HD Collection, even if the retail version of MGS 3D does run/control perfectly.

MGS3D has graphical updates over the original and HD version. Updated character models, updated lighting and the obvious 3D. Also added to this updated version are crouch walking, new camera options, photo camo and gyro controls.

Don't be fooled in thinking this demo has all the bells and whistles that will be in the retail version.

Hey cool bro, didn't know you got the final build with your demo.
There's always someone who says "but it's a demo, every single thing that sucks in it will be completely changed when the actual game releases" and then the real game comes out and still has the same issues. And the person who said that is usually nowhere to be found after that.

There's always someone who says "but it's a demo, every single thing that sucks in it will be completely changed when the actual game releases" and then the real game comes out and still has the same issues. And the person who said that is usually nowhere to be found after that.

Except we have multiple sources praising the graphical fidelity of the game in comparison to older builds.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
well, at least I can confirm that this isn't the demo I've tried a couple of days ago.
that was better in terms of frame rate during gameplay, and a little brighter in terms of graphics.
control scheme was PSP style as this one, unfortunately, but at home I had time to try the ccpro and it's much better.

True; the difference here is that we have a magazine known for being hyper-critical saying the final version is awesome.

Either Edge is drinking the Kool-aid or the people who said this is old code are right.

We will find out next week.

Really having trouble wrapping my brain around these controls. Why the hell isn't there an option for Gyro camera while aiming? It would be a ton better then what is offered right now. Please someone tell me they have an option for that in the final version.

Bottom line: If you have a Vita then you shouldn't even consider picking this up over the HD Collection, even if the retail version of MGS 3D does run/control perfectly.

But the Vita wont have the updated visuals and lighting, as well as new camera options and photo camo. I'll take all that over having MGS2 bundled with MGS3.

KillGore

While true, it's not confirmed, it's also not confirmed to be otherwise, and the PS360 Collection was confirmed otherwise the same time it was announced. It's possible, but there's been nothing to suggest it so far.

I don't even understand how MGS2 and 3 are on the same game cart, they must be compressed to fuck as it is.

Do you think they may not be announcing it to see if PW sells more copies on PSN? for those that are convinced that they won't make a "HD" PW? Or maybe they could put a code on the MGS2 and MGS3 collection, containing PSP PW? I wouldn't mind that.

Also, how big are Vita game carts? 8gb? is that the maximum size of the carts?

They should release the GameCube twin snakes on 3ds... The machine can handle it and the game is Nintendo exclusive I believe.. So the fit is perfect, no?
If Snaker Eater 3D sells, the plan is to release the entire series on 3DS in chronological order. Next up would be Peace Walker 3D, or Portable Ops 3D if that counts.

Ridley327

Do you think they may not be announcing it to see if PW sells more copies on PSN? for those that are convinced that they won't make a "HD" PW? Or maybe they could put a code on the MGS2 and MGS3 collection, containing PSP PW? I wouldn't mind that.

Right now, the biggest Vita card is 4GB, but they will eventually get to be as large as 32GB (once games need it and, obviously, once it becomes cost-effective).

Unless they go crazy with the compression, I would have to think that MGS HD Collection will be on a 8GB card.

Biggest cart right now is 4GB.

Also, Kojima posted screenshots that only show MGS 2 and MGS 3. Plus, the original announcement only named those two games.

Foffy

Banned
If Snaker Eater 3D sells, the plan is to release the entire series on 3DS in chronological order. Next up would be Peace Walker 3D, or Portable Ops 3D if that counts.

..Why not make a new game? Seriously; I see zero reason to buy this version when I have Subsistence for my PS2. The same would go for any of these other ports.

They really want to milk that cow dry, man.
Well, it's a nice plan to get a new audience up to speed with the series. I doubt it happens though since pretty much everyone expects Snake Eater 3D to bomb.

Personally, I'm more interested in just getting Ghost Babel on Virtual Console.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
But the Vita wont have the updated visuals and lighting, as well as new camera options and photo camo. I'll take all that over having MGS2 bundled with MGS3.

I'll take two great games with good controls over one great game with updated visuals but frustrating controls any day of the week. I don't care how well it controls with the CC Pro, I shouldn't have to go out and buy a $20 accessory to enjoy this game.

And by they way, the game has gyro controls, but not the type that is actually wanted. Instead of offering Gyro aiming, they shoe-horned in tilt gyro controls for walking across bridges and sliding against trees. YAY!

duckroll

..Why not make a new game? Seriously; I see zero reason to buy this version when I have Subsistence for my PS2. The same would go for any of these other ports.

Clearly because Kojima has been convinced that his staff are all incompetent and if given the responsibility to lead and design new MGS games on their own, they will fail and the entire project will be doomed. Since Kojima himself has no time for side projects which require too much attention, the only other option is ports!

Clearly because Kojima has been convinced that his staff are all incompetent and if given the responsibility to lead and design new MGS games on their own, they will fail and the entire project will be doomed. Since Kojima himself has no time for side projects which require too much attention, the only other option is ports!

Metal Gear AC!D was fantastic. :bow Shinta Nojiri

Luigi87

Well, it's definitely Snake Eater in 3D, but not the Snake Eater in 3D I wanted (I'll not forget that tech demo).

The framerate dropping so low during cutscenes, as said repeatedly throughout the thread, is unacceptable. Simply put, I'll just be waiting for the HD collection on Vita.

ryan-ts

What updated visuals? The game looks bad and runs like shit.

Well, it's definitely Snake Eater in 3D, but not the Snake Eater in 3D I wanted (I'll not forget that tech demo).

The framerate dropping so low during cutscenes, as said repeatedly throughout the thread, is unacceptable. Simply put, I'll just be waiting for the HD collection on Vita.

Every other post in this thread has mentioned that the demo does not appear to be a good representation of the final product.

ss_lemonade

AFAIK, that 3ds tech demo had an abysmal framerate as well.

Luigi87

The ignorance in this thread is unacceptable. This is a the e3 demo from last year.

Well then I apologize, but to be fair using an outdated demo is not a good way to try and sell your product.

GAF is a gamer forum, but consider those who may not browse and learn this will not become privy to it being outdated, and therefore will be turned off.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
What updated visuals? The game looks bad and runs like shit.

Game looks pretty great on my end. Runs like a backed up toilet, but it looks pretty good doing it, at least. Should the final version look even better then well, yeah, it'll be a nice treat visually speaking.

If this really is an old (as in months-old) build of the game I might be tempted to bite on the retail release pending some really good word-of-mouth, but there is no way I would spend money on the game if this demo is any way representative of the final version.

Grakl

So where can I see that newer build that is so much better and looks even better than the hd collection?

I won't ever claim (and I don't think anybody else will) that it looks better than the HD collection. Rather, you can look to the recent EDGE review that outlines how good the game looks on the 3DS, and how it is in fact a handheld MGS3. I'm sorry you cannot see it with your own eyes, and indeed the demo is a poor representation of what is to be released to retail, but you're acting ignorant in the face of others who are telling the truth about the product.

Foffy

Banned
AFAIK, that 3ds tech demo had an abysmal framerate as well.

Not as bad as what this demo offers. I've never seen a good framerate for any of cutscenes, even in trailers the game looked like it was struggling when it came to scenes.

I really doubt the game is going to be smooth when it launches, but it plays fine. The bigger issue is there's not enough to scream buying this if you already own Subsistence or the HD Collection. Less to do with the game and more to do with the timing.

kfpkiller

I won't ever claim (and I don't think anybody else will) that it looks better than the HD collection. Rather, you can look to the recent EDGE review that outlines how good the game looks on the 3DS, and how it is in fact a handheld MGS3. I'm sorry you cannot see it with your own eyes, and indeed the demo is a poor representation of what is to be released to retail, but you're acting ignorant in the face of others who are telling the truth about the product.
The old build excuse has been used so many times that I'll only believe the game is much better when I see it.

Top Bottom