• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve likes the Wii, not so much the PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gek54

"Gameinformer:What about the PS3?

Gabe Newell: The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted. I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a "do over". Just say, "This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it". The happy story is the Wii. I'm betting that by Christmas of next year, the Wii has a larger installed base than the 360. Other people think I'm crazy. I really like everthing that Nintendo is doing. "

LaMeRz

As much as Sony sucks for messing up with the PS3 is anyone else besides me just getting tired of hearing about it?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I said WOW. :lol

Tieno said:
Is Half-Life 2 Orange coming to PS3? Are any other Valve games coming to PS3?
Yes, I believe it's EA publishing it & No.

sounds like a deal fell through...anyway, I would prefer nintendo started over with the wii, the I would have got that console first no doubt...more power

peace

Rotanibor

He better back this up by putting a brand new original Valve FPS on the Wii. Or just Half-Life 2 again, I'd be cool with that.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
I've got one at my desk now, havent even bothered turning it on yet.

Actually, I wonder if it will play import ps2 games, mmmm hokuto no ken.

jvalioli

hey should just cancel it and do a "do over". Just say, "This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it".
That is pretty extreme. Sounds like Sony ran over his dog or something.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
The Black Brad Pitt said:
He was probably in a good mood because Nintendo sent him some krispy kremes.
20060606-gabe_newell.jpg

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I have a feeling he doesn't like the PS3 at all. Not sure why. I'm intuitive, I guess.

ethelred

Holy shit. He ripped them a new asshole there.

The Black Brad Pitt said:
He was probably in a good mood because Nintendo sent him some krispy kremes.

Bad_Boy said:

So Gabe Newell is the new Jeff Gerstmann, huh? I remember after the Zelda review folks were going around here saying no one but Nintendo fans would stoop so low as to make fun of someone for his weight...

Gek54 said:
"Gameinformer:What about the PS3?

Gabe Newell: The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted. I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a "do over". Just say, "This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it". The happy story is the Wii. I'm betting that by Christmas of next year, the Wii has a larger installed base than the 360. Other people think I'm crazy. I really like everthing that Nintendo is doing. "

Confirmed: Gabe is
awesome lol

Althought I find it odd that he didn't explain his problems with teh PS3

jman2050

umm... Is there an online source for this? Or can someone confirm it actually came from GameInformer? Sounds a bit TOO straightforward if you ask me, but if he actually said it, then whatever...

Half Life 2 is great and all, but it sounds like bitter PC developer tears. They just can't seem to be able to wrap their head around CELL (assymetrical processing). I don't hear the final fantasy team, Kojima's team, Insomniac, or Naughty Dog bitching about the PS3's architecture (although I'm sure it's frustrating to work with initially). Back in the day upsetting PC developers was no big deal because they didn't really have any leverage in the console market. I think that's beginning to change, though. And Sony angering guys like these just isn't scoring them any points, regardless if he's being a pansy or not.

Mar

Gek54 said:
The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted. I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a "do over". Just say, "This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it".

Jesus... That was.. Harsh.

I'm not a fan of Sony's efforts lately either. But to say it's a disaster is going a bit too far.

g23

European pre-madonna
You know you have truly failed when a major developer says you are a **** up this early in the war. GG sony, nice knowing you Blu-Ray!

(please don't ban me)

J-Rzez

So, he didn't like it before the launch of it... and dislikes it now because it's not nearly as easy to program for as the Wii nor 360... so, wants to just cover it up by trying to fire others up saying it's not what consumers want either? Ok... it's what I want, the games I want on still on it, I'm happy with it... It's a powerful machine, him and Carmack should just keep their mouths shut because what Sony's showing first party wise is amazing...

SleazyC

Ouch..... thats pretty harsh.

As a consumer I love my PS3 so far but I'm not sure what to take of it from the developer perspective. I know a lot of devs have said its hard to develop for but I was always thinking it would be along the same lines as the PS2.

Sony should reply with equal directness.

Sony: "Dear Gabe, you're fat as ****, lose weight, and try to start over so that you can convince people you'll live past the age of 50."

Tieno

C- Warrior said:
Sony should reply with equal directness.

Sony: "Dear Gabe, you're fat as ****, lose weight, and try to start over so that you can convince people you'll live past the age of 50."
What does his weight have to do with this?

Odysseus

Banned
ethelred said:
So Gabe Newell is the new Jeff Gerstmann, huh? I remember after the Zelda review folks were going around here saying no one but Nintendo fans would stoop so low as to make fun of someone for his weight...

point for ethelred here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom