• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Akai__

Fun fact: Just played the Halo 3 campaign again and I just figured out, that some marines are spoken by the same german voice actor, who also is the voice actor for "Marshal" from "How I met yout mother" and "Sanji" from "One Piece" in the german versions.

My mind is blown.

Actually, I'd say it'll have more of an effect than that. That entire area pictured is inside with windows up the top and at the back. Depending on which way the light source is coming from, a lot more of that area would be darker. Not to mention the Forerunner bits we've seen in Halo 4 are more white, giving us even more contrast with the shadows.

The white forge pieces we saw were UNSC.

FyreWulff

Oh? Been a while since I looked

Yeah, it was definitely human architecture. Pipes and everything.

Random guess: all 3 Forge maps have a common basic Forge World object set with different art for each piece on that map. So the Ravine is Reach FW objects, Humanland has those objects but with Human appearance, and Covenant Forge World has purple rounded objects.

This would make the most sense, since by splitting the maps by theme grants you more RAM to fit the textures and models into, where if all 3 maps had the same appearance for the pieces there'd be no real point to making them separate maps.

Striker

And two Forge environments. Hopefully all three forge environments will have a 'default' config that will be present in MM to bolster the map count, Halo 3 style.
I'd hope not, at least not until months after. You don't add maps just for the sake of it - quality, not quantity. Default Foundry and Sandbox were fairly bad and kind of made the rotation dull. Hopefully there's decent quality this go 'round and not just developer made maps built in Forge that aren't necessarily any good.

Totally forgot about the gate on High Ground. One other thing I remember that is not so interactive as it is dynamic but that bridge in Colossus that would disappear depending on the gametype was really cool.
In Colossus, the middle bridge appeared for Slayer gametypes. Gone otherwise.

In Relic, the large ramps on the sides of the large structure appeared for Slayer. Were not included when 1-bomb and 1-flag were played.

Instead of interactive elements like that, they went the direction of shield doors and space sections. Delicious.

Anyone from the UK who lives in Essex? If the answer is yes, you have the opportunity to play Halo 4 this Friday!

http://www.pointmanreviews.com/ai1ec_event/xtreme-gaming-halo-4/?instance_id=
So you want to see what the most eagerly anticipated game of 2012 is going to be like? Well thanks to the awesome team at Microsoft you can. Not only that but we will have it here at Xtreme Gaming on Friday the 12th of October – nearly a month prior to the global release.

Come and sample the multiplayer modes of this amazing title in our unique themed arena and see why nobody does it quite like the Chief.
If you thought this day could not get any better then you are wrong! There will be some amazing prizes to be won and some guest appearances from some of the best HALO players about. Full details will be confirmed the closer we get to the event so check back regularly as this is a day you will not want to miss!

GUESTS

We have a very special guest appearance by the incredible BUCK twins who will be on hand to show us how they play HALO! Don’t panic they will not be winning just assessing the skill level of all potential Spartans.

Please take the time to click and follow these guys – you never know it might mean you will have an extra chance to win

FyreWulff

Actually, I'd say it'll have more of an effect than that. That entire area pictured is inside with windows up the top and at the back. Depending on which way the light source is coming from, a lot more of that area would be darker. Not to mention the Forerunner bits we've seen in Halo 4 are more white, giving us even more contrast with the shadows.

I cranked the shadows up for the second one, although I could go back and crank them up for the first one. I did it on a separate layer. Looks like a half finished Z-buffer by itself.

for shiggles:

50pCl.png

V4prL.png

Really? they looked forerunner.

For the life of me I can't find the screencap of that forge piece everyone is thinking about, nor can I remember which specific video it came out of.

Swarmerr

Forge/rank/matchmaking news would be sweet right now.

I think the main thing I am most worried about now besides the usual
ranks
is how the game plays online. From what I have seen so far on LAN the game plays great, but playing great on LAN doesn't always equal playing great on LIVE.

FyreWulff

Maybe the Lockout remake will show up in the playlist with no sprint, higher movement speed, no ordinance drops, no AAs, and no middle of the screen white text.

Fuchsdh

I wonder how Reach would have played with visible armor abilities. Sure, AL would sill needed to have been nerfed (shorten max duration to <2 seconds, lengthen cd and lock your camera seem like the best options to me) but you wouldn't have had people getting smashed up in Ghosts unless they were stupid, or people getting into mere battles with AL if they could avoid it, or people wasting rockets. All the AAs would have been a lot more about situation reading, although I'm not sure if this would have slowed down or sped up the game

Top Bottom