• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs Megathread | Indepth discussion inbetween horsebags and birdsounds

Empty

website and bookcast omg finally

been a few years since i read cloud atlas so it's ripe for a re-read, cool book though i hope the bookcast covers non-fiction and classics and not just contemporary pop literature, as good as both choices so far are. pro tip: if you're a uk thumbs fan and want to get a copy of cloud atlas to follow the bookcast check your local charity shops, i've never been into one that didn't have a copy it's actually kinda weird.

Jintor

It's a pity the first splash image they chose has enough white in it to screw with their text

/edit in fact, all their images do, they're all so bright the white text looks distracting

the infrastructure is pretty cool though. and by infrastructure i actually mean modules and side pages and things

Ceebs

Website is super nice guys. I can see why you were trying to hold the cast's return until it launched.

My money was well spent it seems.

Empty

idle thumbs bookcast more like filmcast right guys. nah it was great, love hearing you guys talk about this stuff. want to check out that le carre book jake mentioned now. are you guys planning on doing a watcha been reading every time in addition to the monthly choice, i hope you do but i can also understand if you want to keep it focused.

shame that you guys are keeping it to recent literature as you said at the start. i don't want to complain too loudly as most of what i like about thumbs is that you only talk about stuff that interests you instead of feeling obligated to talk about this months big marketing budget sequel with a high metacritic - but a few of the authors mentioned this week (dfw and foer) have written some pretty damn good non-fiction and i think there's plenty of older books that aren't full of archaic language and scratch the itches that the books you've chosen have like a dostoevsky translation or something.

edit: just checked the bookshelf in my dad's study. old copy of the honourable schoolboy sitting right there. score. according to the back of the book it's the winner of the something called the c.w.a golden dagger award. lol.

Did it happen?

I like the new site, including 3MA's cozy new home.

nope. they said on twitter they had technical problems. a shame.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The site is fantastic. Had to CtrlF my name, but I'm there! A true friend of the idle thumbs library.

Idle Thumbs' general aesthetic has always been amazing, but the new site has really kicked it up a notch.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Somewhat surprised the book club is monthly. I figured it would be a literal book club where at the end Chris would remind us to read chapters 1-4 by next week.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Site is awesome. Also really need more book recommendations. Are there any other good book podcasts out there?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
If you're into some pretty out there and semi badly written fantasy, check out the Deathgate Cycle. Its amazing.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If it's good for a laugh I'll check it out, but I've realised that I have no idea what is going on in the current literary world anymore, other than a few authors who I follow. :(

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
If it's good for a laugh I'll check it out, but I've realised that I have no idea what is going on in the current literary world anymore, other than a few authors who I follow. :(

Its not good for a laugh, its AMAZING. Its about multiple dimensions and there are elven business tycoons and aeronautics pioneers. {thumbs if you're reading this, book 2 is about ELVES discovering space travel} Oh and there are these giants and this weird mythical torture plane called the Labyrinth that had such powerful magic bestowed upon it that the magic itself became insane and uncontrollable. And there this giant machine the size of a continent that nobody know the purprose for, or can even perceive the whole thing.

Its fuckin CRAZY.

Top Bottom