• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Will STILL Function if Kinect Isn't Plugged In.

"That said, like online, the console will still function if Kinect isn’t plugged in, although you won’t be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor." - WHITTEN on IGN's new Xbox One ask me anything.

MEGATON? Is this confirmation that Xbox One doesn't require Kinect to be plugged in?

FULL QUESTION AND FULL ANSWER.

Since Kinect must be plugged in for the Xbox One to function, what happens if your Kinect breaks? Like if it falls off the top of your TV onto a hardwood floor or something? Will the console cease to function?

WHITTEN: Xbox One is designed to work with Kinect plugged in. It makes gaming better in many ways – from the ability to say “Xbox On” and get right to your personalized homescreen, to the ability to control your TV through voice, Smartglass and more. Kinect allows you to search for your content, instantly move between games and your personalized dash and more with just your voice. Kinect helps you pick up and play by automatically knowing which controller you have in your hands. No more need to interrupt your friends game or navigate through multiple UI screens to sign in and tell the system which controller you are holding. It will even bind the controller to the console if its currently unbound – no searching for special buttons! Of course – these are just a few of the system wide benefits of having Kinect. Games use Kinect in a variety of amazing ways from adding voice to control your squad mates to adding lean and other simple controls beyond the controller to full immersive gameplay. That said, like online, the console will still function if Kinect isn’t plugged in, although you won’t be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor.

SOURCE: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/ask-microsoft-anything-about-xbox-one

This is great if true, don't have to have it plugged in, but you won't be able to use voice commands or any other Kinect features, as expected. I'm excited GAF, how close are we to getting a Kinectless Xbox One SKU? It used to be improbable because Kinect was part of the Xbox One experience from the get go, but now if you don't need to have it connected at all times, may they decided to not make you buy it if you don't want it?

Another Kinect related question: HOW "OFF" CAN KINECT BE WHEN THE SYSTEM IS IN USE?

WHITTEN: You have the ability to completely turn the sensor off in your settings. When in this mode, the sensor is not collecting any information. Any functionality that relies on voice, video, gesture or more won’t work. We still support using it for IR blasting in this mode. You can turn the sensor back on at any time through settings, and if you enter into a required Kinect experience (like Kinect Sports Rivals for instance), you’ll get a message asking if you want to turn the sensor back on in order to continue.

Update: thanks Albert!

We still believe in Kinect. We aren’t interested in splitting the development base. The more demos I’ve seen, the more I’ve used it – the more impressed I am. The team feels strongly about Kinect, and I hope we’re able to prove that when you use it.

We also have a ton of privacy settings to allow people to turn off the camera, or microphones, or put it in a state just for “Xbox On” and IR blasting – there will be a lot of user control for that.

The thing we all understood, and hence this change, is that there are some scenarios where people just may not be comfortable. We wanted people to be 100% comfortable, so we allow the sensor to be unplugged. And clearly the “it dropped” scenario is possible.

The most obvious thing is watching a DVD/BD, or streaming a movie, or HDMI pass-through, your experience isn’t impacted (except you miss voice and IR blasting)

There is no “gotcha”, but obviously, if there is a game that REQUIRES Kinect (like Rivals), or something where Kinect IS the experience (like Skype), those won’t work.

That said, for people who have privacy concerns there are user control settings, which we believe are great.

iam good tahnk u. !!

if knincdt.less SKU apears, then calm eout. enjoy!

oVerde

Banned
So, summing up every 180 we got 720 at least.

Edit; it should come on every Xbox One, or it'll be treated as accessory by developers.

KillGore

So make a kinect-less version and sell it for $400.

Still, this is good news. I'm getting more interested in the Xbox 180 everyday.

Einbroch

Banned
Will wait for some real confirmation, but this is a great step.

I really can't think of any reason I am against the One besides the complete lack of Japanese support. I need mah jRPGs, and those won't be on the One.

Oh, and the price, but prices change.

So if any game uses kinect in some manner, even if something very small, will need kinect on to work?

Well, it's better than before, but not much better.

I'm afraid they're going to claim the camera is necessary to play ANY game though, due to it "seeing the controller, etc".

That's what I'm thinking.

Arkam

Yet still bundled with every Xbox One
\

Which is a GOOD thing.
So Now devs can assume EVERYONE has a kinect and will support it while 'crazy' people can unplug it if they think people are spying on them.

Everyone wins?
Yes, yes they do :)

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
now we wait for the inevitable clarification

This is like the #1 complaint against the XBO; I can't believe they'd just bury it in a Q&A.

Clearly a late-game decision on Microsoft's part, but a smart one regardless.

Don't expect to see a Kinectless SKU though. Microsoft wants one in every household in America - that's the only way they're going to get software support for the thing. Brute fucking force.

lol one of the biggest complaints on this form about the XB1 removed

It's getting harder to ignore the strides being taken. I don't know if this was ever the case or not, though. Was it mandatory, ever, at any point in time or was the message simply not being conveyed properly?

It comes with every console, Gamestop won't want it!

If this is true they need a bundle without it.

It's improbable considering its size and focus, but maybe people will misplace theirs and go looking for a replacement.

MegaFuckingTon.

The 180 continues. Xbox One, getting better every day.

If this is 100% confirmed, my last major contention with the xbone has been remedied.
Will probably buy one now.

About fucking time. Great news.

Now just *clarify* the paywall restrictions on Free-to-Play games and apps and we're back in business.

Do it Microsoft.

Save yourself from yourself.

I'm afraid they're going to claim the camera is necessary to play ANY game though, due to it "seeing the controller, etc".
And doubt creeps back in...

So, summing up every 180 we got 720 at least.
Yep.

180 1: online check in relaxed, game selling/sharing etc to be like on the 360
180 2: indie game devs can self publish
180 3: headset included with every system
180 4: Kinect no longer mandatory for system operation

Two more and we'll have a full 1080.

Top Bottom