• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Heroin Business Is Booming in America (Bloomberg)

I would organize the most popular drugs into the following groups:

Totally Fine As Long As You Don't Take Too Much At Once:
  • Weed
  • Alcohol
Fine As Long As You're In a Safe Environment and Have Friends Nearby:
  • LSD
  • Ecstasy
Stay Away:
  • Heroin
  • Cocaine
  • Meth
  • Nicotine

That's a reasonable way of looking at it, I think. You could arguably combine the first two segments into one with both requirements (safe environment, friends nearby).

Stop giving Narcan out like candy, the problem solves itself

It's unreasonable in a civil society to have the ability to save a human life, as Narcan regularly does, and withhold its use to 'teach some junkies a lesson'. Can't close that box now that it exists. I can understand the frustration with folks seeing users face death multiple times, just to be revived again and again...but you just can't go letting people die of poison while you stand in front of them with the antidote.

IrishNinja

I live in South Florida, which is basically the "Rehab" capital of America. It's a really fucked up system where these companies are making money hand over fist while they churn out "patients" that go right back into addiction.

wait, can you expand on this?

Stop giving Narcan out like candy, the problem solves itself

...so if rescuers find a potential OD, they should let them go? that's absurd

Bobnob

I've grown up surrounded by drugs and dealers, weed (obv), pills, coke/crack, molly/e, acid, shrooms, etc blah blah blah.

Out of all drugs, pill smokers, meth users, and heroin users get no sympathy from me. Unless some doctor over prescribed you and caused the addiction, for someone to pursue pills/heroin/meth knowing what happens, you gotta be straight up stupid.

I still advocate for treatment though.
That's the probem though, i have old freinds who took heroin from a young age 17/18 (one of which died recently 40yo). I'm sure if they/he knew how life would of pan out for them back then when i was trying to convince him to stop they would of listened instead of thinking of the buzz they were getting at that time.Its a shitty drug and dealers should get life sentences, because that is what there handing out in most cases.

Fisty

I would organize the most popular drugs into the following groups:

Totally Fine As Long As You Don't Take Too Much At Once:
  • Weed
  • Alcohol
Fine As Long As You're In a Safe Environment and Have Friends Nearby:
  • LSD
  • Ecstasy
Stay Away:
  • Heroin
  • Cocaine
  • Meth
  • Nicotine

That's a reasonable way of looking at it, I think. You could arguably combine the first two segments into one with both requirements (safe environment, friends nearby).

The worst thing that could happen if you take too much weed is you wake up a few hours later and can't figure out why your fridge is empty.

Taking away Narcan solves what exactly? Scaring people into thinking there's no way to save them from overdosing, thus they'll just suddenly stop taking heroin?

That's the really unfortunate thing here- what you describe would happen much more often (maybe not suddenly, but exponentially more likely to seek treatment) were Narcan not to exist.

The mindset today is, "Hey maybe this is fentanyl!?! Who fucking cares, worst case we can just take a shot or two of Narcan, and live to score another day!" Here in NH at least, you can even get it without a prescription. But alas, Narcan is a thing. And we have to deal with it.

That's the really unfortunate thing here- what you describe would happen much more often (maybe not suddenly, but exponentially more likely to seek treatment) were Narcan not to exist.

The mindset today is, "Hey maybe this is fentanyl!?! Who fucking cares, worst case we can just take a shot or two of Narcan, and live to score another day!" Here in NH at least, you can even get it without a prescription. But alas, Narcan is a thing. And we have to deal with it.

Not really. People wouldn't take less drugs just because the antidote was cut off. If anything it would cause even more problems. A common recurring pattern with successful treatment hasn't been overzealous control, it has been creating safe injection sites and proper care.

You wanna get the junkies to clean up? Care for them, don't try to hurt them further.

My cousin is a heroin addict and it has ruined his life. He has burned just about every bridge he had left after being given a countless number of chances to change his life around. One of his last resorts was asking our grandmother if he could live with her. She has dementia and happily said yes. But he even stole from her when she slept and used her car to pick up drugs before coming back. He then went to a recovery center where he was kicked out for dealing drugs in the recovery center. He really needs to be in jail but somehow he has avoided it.

Not really. People wouldn't take less drugs just because the antidote was cut off. If anything it would cause even more problems. A common recurring pattern with successful treatment hasn't been overzealous control, it has been creating safe injection sites and proper care.

You wanna get the junkies to clean up? Care for them, don't try to hurt them further.

What can I tell you, I personally see the mindset I describe day in and day out. If you have a good chance of dying of something, you're gonna take some precautions. Something like Narcan takes the risk away almost completely in regards to opiate overdose. Addicts are aware, and act accordingly.

Condom

Heroin is really comforting in general but especially if you aren't satisfied in life, people with other important things going on can't give that up for it. Those with lives where giving things up for heroin would be a net benefit in short term feelings. It's a mental health and quality of life issue.

What can I tell you, I personally see the mindset I describe day in and day out. If you have a good chance of dying of something, you're gonna take some precautions. Something like Narcan takes the risk away almost completely in regards to opiate overdose. Addicts are aware, and act accordingly.

Just because addicts are aware of narcan doesn't mean they're going to ramp up intake. Shit's not cheap. They aren't going to knowingly overdose over and over again just because there is a cure. You are trying to build the idea of an addict who is living for addiction. Most addicts aren't happy to be addicts, but they keep doing it because it really does feel that good.

Heroin is really comforting in general but especially if you aren't satisfied in life, people with other important things going on can't give that up for it. Those with lives where giving things up for heroin would be a net benefit in short term feelings. It's a mental health and quality of life issue.

Exactly, which is why treatment within a positive and welcoming environment is necessary, and not demonization and scorn.

Welcome to 10 years ago?

Formerly middle class towns across the country have turned into dozens of empty buildings, heroin, and no sniff of any of the economic recovery that came post Bush.

It's not just the south either, for example Western Mass is heroine fucking city.

Self-medication with drugs, even weed, doesn't sound like a good thing.

Throughout human history, people have used various medicinal concoctions and herbs through self treatment or suggested treatment. The concept of a prescription and current medicine is rather new. If it works for someone, like how smoking weed helps my depression and anxiety, why would you question their usage?

Just because addicts are aware of narcan doesn't mean they're going to ramp up intake. Shit's not cheap. They aren't going to knowingly overdose over and over again just because there is a cure. You are trying to build the idea of an addict who is living for addiction. Most addicts aren't happy to be addicts, but they keep doing it because it really does feel that good.
We're gonna have to agree to disagree man, but pls don't put words in my mouth about ideas I'm trying to build.

The game in general has changed, at least in my neck of the woods. The powerful synthetic stuff has become the norm. Our mortality rate would be through the roof, had it not been for Narcan. Users would face some pretty sobering truths if all their friends were dead, and would confront their demons sooner rather than...never. Not the ideal reason/time to seek treatment, but I'm very confident it would be the case for more than a few.

Also, after a relatively short period of time most don't do it to feel good...just to not feel bad. I put 120mg of 30 blues up my nose for 3 years, I get it.

YourMaster

...so if rescuers find a potential OD, they should let them go? that's absurd

If you have to save somebody from an OD it would be a consideration to forcibly admit them into a program that not only kicks the drugs, but also gets their life on the rails again and addresses the problem that got them into using the drugs in the first place.

But I have to admit that simply letting drug users die, or actively killing them doesn't really seem like much of a step down from the current policy. (This is a criticism of the current system, not a defense of that alternative)

riotous

Banned
Step 1: Over-prescribe Oxycodone based products
Step 2: Crack down on over-prescribing Oxycodone based products
Step 3: Heroin use skyrockets
Step 4: ???

That's how it is here in Washington at least; I'm not saying that the crackdown on doctors was a bad idea (although a lot of legit pain patients suffer), but tons of oxy junkies suddenly having prices skyrocket and/or supply completely dry up really drove a lot of people to heroin here.

Lost someone I used to know as a kid not too long ago to a heroin and pill overdose.

Shit is deadly man. Straight poison.

When I was in high school heroin and pills, codeine syrup were all really popular. It was hard to really find anyone doing weed.

IrishNinja

If you have to save somebody from an OD it would be a consideration to forcibly admit them into a program that not only kicks the drugs, but also gets their life on the rails again and addresses the problem that got them into using the drugs in the first place.

But I have to admit that simply letting drug users die, or actively killing them doesn't really seem like much of a step down from the current policy. (This is a criticism of the current system, not a defense of that alternative)

that'd be something, but the system doesn't currently work like that - rescue's resources on most things like that are limited to giving out phone #'s and such, there's not often a handoff to another agency when a call's complete unless something criminal has happened

While that's well-intentioned, I think that faces some problems that at least for now are insurmountable. Particularly that counselling and therapy operate on the expectation that you can't lead people into any kind of personal realization about themselves or their problems. In fact how or why people wake up to their problems is still pretty hard to account for. And maybe that's because a lot about addiction and dysfunctions in personality are mysterious to us. For us to institute mandatory addiction treatment we'd probably have to have a treatment for addiction that's far more effective or satisfying than those we have now, so recovery becomes a more convincing proposition (maybe by actually curing the underlying problem that leads to addiction behaviour), otherwise people will probably just resist having treatment forced on them.

This board encourages hardcore drug use?

There was a thread months ago where I remember some people arguing that being able to buy heroin or meth or whatever from a pharmacy should be legal, but other than that most of Gaf just seems to like weed. Which is pretty fine.

I wish marijuana was legal in Australia. I wouldn't personally use it, but I know people who would benefit.

Top Bottom