• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Sayad

That feel when you don't know how to fight Hwoarang and then you go look at his movelist and there's like a million stances and it goes on forever and and and ;~;
From my experience as a Tekken grand master, the way you deal with any stance is:
- Do you have a rage art > go for it
- Otherwise, random crush move, aka, hopkick or Art of Pheonix

On a serious note, what's the idea behind Tekken's ranks? Get people to believe they're the hotness early on so they keep playing?!

Anne

Couldn't this sentence apply to like 50+% of modern fighting games?

Not like Tekken. Like, yeah it's kinda similar, but in Tekken there's so much shit that you might just not ever see in a normal set of matches. Sometimes somebody will pull out some shit that's ass or meh, and if you don't know about it they get to have a party. In most games that can happen, but in Tekken it just never stops coming from some of these characters.

That's fine and I can deal with it, but I am gonna whine about the few characters where even figuring out where to start is overwhelming. At least in Tekken 7 there's a good chunk less to worry about generally.

AAK

Virtua Fighter and DOA on average have longer movelists than Tekken.

If you want to single out something to attribute Tekken's (mostly exaggerated) difficulty talk about the analog nature of movement and the intricate wakeup/okizeme system.

Sayad

Virtua Fighter and DOA on average have longer movelists than Tekken.

If you want to single out something to attribute Tekken's (mostly exaggerated) difficulty talk about the analog nature of movement and the intricate wakeup/okizeme system.
Movement is the hardest part, if you get it you can skip so many steps, but it probably take less time to go through those steps than learning movement right away. Okizeme, especially in T7 doesn't seem like a real complaint.

Time it takes to learn match ups and how to deal with things is real though, even compared to anime games, it requires a lot of lap time. It's not just a moves list thing, there's also the characters count.

Also, didn't play DoA in a while, but learning a match up there seems like less effort than Tekken since there are less unique string starters and generally due to the way DoA trinity works!

Anne

Tekken difficulty is exaggerated p often, but there's no real denying shit is hard to get into and requires a big up front time investment compared to some other games. It's not like I'm some scrub who hasn't played a bunch of other "hard" fighting games or gotten real deep into this shit. Tekken takes a lot of time and there's a lot of learning around how characters can do things and how you need to deal with them.

It's part of the fun of Tekken too. It's very rewarding spending all that time learning how to move and then learning how to use that movement to beat stuff. It's also very frustrating when you start to get comfy and then somebody pulls out some mall scrub string and you lose half your life.

Idk. I don't think it's like some super hard impossible feat, but it's just a lot to take in. When you run into those freak character like Hwo or Yoshi or some shit, it's tempting to just say "fuck it I'll deal with that later."

Shouta

Hwo feels like a freak character in general. He has a ton of attacks and a bunch of stances which let him really change the flow of his game. Even among 3D fighting games, he feels like a unique case of where you really need to spend the time learning the match-up from the ground up. Learning it by just playing leads to pain. =(

Fighting against Hwo for the first time reminds me of playing against Shun Di for the first time, heh.

Pfff, who gives Hwo players any respect? Especially with that fake ass eyepatch, he even has both his eyes!

Well anyways, as someone who is going through the cast experimenting with them, including Hwo. A lot of times if they enter some kind of stance you can try to hit them out of it, especially flamingo. He does get some evasive steps and attacks that go to the side, so keep that in mind and try something with decent tracking. If he is in Right foot forward, he has a pretty damn good 3~4 power crush move that lands really big damage, it hits high, so be wary of it. His string usually have a high, so eventually you have to learn to duck some part of it, which takes quite a bit of research of course. But I learned that I try to get away with pressing buttons when I can but if someone is damn good at duck punishing, and even the mighty dick jab, it usually puts a pause and makes it your turn. Of course smarter and better players will probably tell you something more but this is what I learned scrubbing it out with him atm.

Also, if a Hwo has rage up, they can just throw that shit out from flamingo, the rage art safe on block, so they generally think they might as well just take the shot.

NEO0MJ

Hwo feels like a freak character in general. He has a ton of attacks and a bunch of stances which let him really change the flow of his game. Even among 3D fighting games, he feels like a unique case of where you really need to spend the time learning the match-up from the ground up. Learning it by just playing leads to pain. =(

Fighting against Hwo for the first time reminds me of playing against Shun Di for the first time, heh.

King is another character who could potentially destroy you if you don't know how to break his chain grab.

ArjanN

Arcana Heart Six Stars PC pre-orders are live on Backerkit , they also revised their stretch goals so another character might get in:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1432547

mDXZeYF.jpg

Line_HTX

From my experience as a Tekken grand master, the way you deal with any stance is:
- Do you have a rage art > go for it
- Otherwise, random crush move, aka, hopkick or Art of Pheonix

On a serious note, what's the idea behind Tekken's ranks? Get people to believe they're the hotness early on so they keep playing?!

You're one o those AoP shenanigans, yuck. 😜😜

The names and colors are attractive as you go higher, I guess. Gotta go to 100th Dan to be the king of the hill, haha

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
DBFZ hype has gotten me into dragon ball
mostly through season 1, not sure if i'll do the whole thing before starting Kai

CO_Andy

all this DB hype strangely makes me want to seek out Tobal.

can't believe Marvel is out in a couple days. everyone was maaaaaad thirsty for a sequel for a long time in this thread.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I actually thought it released yesterday despite seeing several commercials telling me what date it comes out on. That's how interested I am.

shaowebb

I will say this, if MVCI hits 6 all new characters with the season pass DLC and rolls out even half within the first 5 months it'll go a long way for the game's presence out there. With the team structure limited to 2v2 it also means we may get less oversaturation of samey faces out there once we get more new faces. Thats really whats hurting MVCI a lot at the moment IMO...it just has such a recycled roster that the hype levels feel muted because new tricks or not we've seen these matchups before in many ways.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I will say this, if MVCI hits 6 all new characters with the season pass DLC and rolls out even half within the first 5 months it'll go a long way for the game's presence out there. With the team structure limited to 2v2 it also means we may get less oversaturation of samey faces out there once we get more new faces. Thats really whats hurting MVCI a lot at the moment IMO...it just has such a recycled roster that the hype levels feel muted because new tricks or not we've seen these matchups before in many ways.
We already know they're all coming out by the end of 2017.

Sayad

We already know they're all coming out by the end of 2017.
Not sure if I'm imagining things(or was it through a leak!), but did they say we're getting two patches of characters(12) before the end of 2017's first half?!

I'm sure at least in one interview they confirmed their DLC model isn't yearly(as in not 6 characters per year).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Not sure if I'm imagining things(or was it through a leak!), but did they say we're getting two patches of characters(12) before the end of 2017's first half?!

I'm sure at least in one interview they confirmed their DLC model isn't yearly(as in not 6 characters per year).
No, only the 6. At least, I thought Shaowebb was just referring to those 6 all-new characters in the Season Pass? That's exactly how it's described.

Top Bottom