• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbreeze's Syndicate - New Info And Screenshots Leaked

We don't have anything good to say about the gameplay so we'll just make stuff up in the random word combination generator and call it 'visceral experience'

In a different universe every game is now 'poopie goldfish'.

Mlatador

Banned
Acosta said:
God, precisely this year, when we have seen how awesome can be when a modern developer respect an old game for what its is and build it from there... We have these FUCKING CLUELESS suits and their big companies trying to "defend" their fucking IPs without giving a shit about the games that made them valuable and memorable.

Fuck them!

So true!

It might be too late to change that (if too many ppl actually bite) - but if there is some justice in this world than X-Com and Syndicate will sell real bad.

Sure as hell, I won't buy them EVER.

There used to be a time, where I was happy when a new entry in one of my favorite franchises was anounced, but nowadays the industry is really lacking in VARIETY.

I'm pretty crushed that Syndicate won't be getting a revival as a strategy game, but... I have to say, I fucking love Starbreeze's work, so... I'll be giving this a shot?

Cyberpunk shooters are always a good thing in my book, I just wish this one didn't have to be called Syndicate.

RedSwirl

Okay so a quick Wiki revealed to me that the original Syndicate was a tactical shooter and this is definitely not, since tactical shooters don't exist anymore. So, like XCOM, there's really no reason why they should be calling this Syndicate because it won't attract any fans of that old game. On the other hand, it's Starbreeze, so there's a great chance that the game on its own merits will be really good.

RedSwirl said:
Okay so a quick Wiki revealed to me that the original Syndicate was a tactical shooter and this is definitely not, since tactical shooters don't exist anymore. So, like XCOM, there's really no reason why they should be calling this Syndicate because it won't attract any fans of that old game. On the other hand, it's Starbreeze, so there's a great chance that the game on its own merits will be really good.

they're putting all their hopes into people either impulse buying based on name alone or just targeting those that don't know wtf syndicate even is even. it would be EASIER to just create a brand new IP but make the exact same game, but that wouldn't blah blah blah financial blah blah target audience blah blah.

on one hand i want to support starbreeze, on the other hand i don't want to support using a series' name to sell a completely different game.

Deadbeat

Banned
RedSwirl said:
More hope than XCOM at least.

Well if this turns out great, like XCOM looks to be, I will grab it as the setting would make a great FPS, regardless of the fact they shouldn't have used an old IP just so they didn't have to make up their own back story.

Slightly related: Anyone come across any more news on Machinegames? Haven't heard anything since they were taken in by ZeniMax last year aside from the fact they are using id Tech 5, 360/PS3 title and basically looking to fit out a full team. Would be very interested to see what direction they are taking after The Darkness and Riddick.

d1rtn4p

Man, after the announcement of the new X-Com game I didn't think my life could get any worse; now another of my most cherished childhood memories is re-imagined as a whatever-the-hell-its-all-the-same shooter...It's almost like someone has been sent to personally murder my childhood memories and overwrite them with shittyness? Who are you damnit!?!?

Acosta

Pupi18 said:
Change the game to 3rd person and problem solved.

Sure! Don't forget adding four characters to control, positionate and mess with their drugs to operate in different ways. Then add 50 huge open maps full with cars you can hijack, trains you can mount and tons of people wandering that make the cities alive. Then design 50 different objectives and let the player deal with them using different approaches without any type of handholding or any stupid story of vengeance messing with the flow of the action.

Voila! Syndicate!

Pupi18 said:
Change the game to 3rd person and problem solved.

People would then just bitch that it's a shitty Gears clone aiming to attract the dude bros. People set out to hate games like this from the beginning.

I wasn't aware that Sweden was a powerhouse when it comes to gaming reveals...

Makes me recall the only time were Portugal did shine in international gaming websites when a portuguese magazine unveilled the new Nights for the Wii.

SimonM7

How is the FPS thing even surprising people? The thing you loved will come back around but it won't wear the name you'd like. "AAA" or "blockbuster" titles or whatever moniker you wanna give them will make changes to reach a broad audience because they need to, and that's not going to change. On the contrary.

Starbreeze are clever, innovative and interesting developers that do atypical games within a framework that the masses are comfortable with. I have the outmost confidence that their Syndicate will honor the franchise in key ways and be a first person shooter that does things differently. Riddick and The Darkness both are.

Meanwhile if you want "Syndicate", look to the indie space. It's gonna crop up there as another developer makes maticulous, niche games based on the ones they - and you - grew up with. It just won't carry the name you want. In fact, wanting your nostalgia inducing brand names attached to things evocative of what made you love them in the first place is a sure fire way to have gaming consistently and repeatedly break your heart.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Air Zombie Meat said:
Did someone just say "visceral"? 'cause I think I just heard someone say "visceral".

It's EA, they named one of their bloody studios "vicsceral".

Zeliard

Didn't another developer come out and say a while back that they'd be making a true Syndicate game since Starbreeze is going the FPS direction?

CecilRousso said:
The main problem with this game is that publishers, developers and some people on forums should realize that not everyone likes to play every game as an FPS. The idea that FPS games is some sort of standard of action oriented games is one the reasons that I buy so few AAA titles.

But on the flipside, you have to realize that this is what the market asks for. With the investment needed to put out a PS360 title, expecting this to be something else was unrealistic.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm looking forward to seeing more of this. I have no real connection with the previous games, so i could care less if it's not an strategy game or not.

After playing Deus Ex, I'd really like another Cyberpunk game to get into.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Zeliard said:
Didn't another developer come out and say a while back that they'd be making a true Syndicate game since Starbreeze is going the FPS direction?
Paradox said they would like to make a Starbreeze strategy game because they felt Syndicate was more of a cyberpunk GTA game.

However, if someone actually makes a Syndicate strategy game, it would almost assuredly be Victory Games, since I don't think EA actually intends to work with Paradox.

BiggNife

I'm honestly surprised people thought the reboot wasn't going to be an fps

I'm more worried about the fact that Starbreeze isn't Starbreeze anymore. I didn't know about that until reading this thread so it's kinda disheartening. :(

Also Richard K Morgan writing the plot isn't necessarily a good thing. He wrote the plot to Crysis 2 and it was borderline incoherent. Being a good novel writer does not necessarily translate to a good game writer.

Acosta

BiggNife said:
I'm honestly surprised people thought the reboot wasn't going to be an fps

I'm more worried about the fact that Starbreeze isn't Starbreeze anymore. I didn't know about that until reading this thread so it's kinda disheartening. :(

Also Richard K Morgan writing the plot isn't necessarily a good thing. He wrote the plot to Crysis 2 and it was borderline incoherent. Being a good novel writer does not necessarily translate to a good game writer.

Everyone and his mother knew it, it has been rumoured for years.

I'm not surprised myself. I'm just angry.

bhlaab

BiggNife said:
Being a good novel writer does not necessarily translate to a good game writer.

So that means that being a bad novel writer might translate to an amazing game writer! This game is going to be amazing!

edit sorry for double posting accident :(

Ubersnug

faulty_fork said:
Some more small screens:

uaS6e.jpg
Anyone else see this as their vision of the Atlantic Accelerator?

Nirolak said:
Paradox said they would like to make a Starbreeze strategy game because they felt Syndicate was more of a cyberpunk GTA game.

However, if someone actually makes a Syndicate strategy game, it would almost assuredly be Victory Games, since I don't think EA actually intends to work with Paradox.

I'd love a cyberpunk game done in the style of Fallout 3/NV.

Ninja Scooter said:
People would then just bitch that it's a shitty Gears clone aiming to attract the dude bros. People set out to hate games like this from the beginning.

THIS. The GAF game snob crew is out in full effect on this already.

Zeliard

Nirolak said:

Interesting, it'll be curious to see what comes of it. Potentially if Paradox does it they can do it in the form of a spiritual successor of sorts if EA doesn't publish, though I imagine they'd have to tread carefully with the marketing there.

bhlaab said:
So that means that being a bad novel writer might translate to an amazing game writer! This game is going to be amazing!

edit sorry for double posting accident :(
Crysis 2 had a cool idea for a story but I think he clashed with the way Crytek wanted to put that story into motion and it was just a mess in the end. It was if he wrote the story completely separate from the development team and had no idea that playing as a silent protagonist in that situation would be so jarring and... horrible I suppose is the word for the narrative. The jumping around in time at the end of levels certainly did no favours.

If Starbreeze can integrate him into the process better it could turn out great, especially since a Syndicate style story would suit him perfectly.

Richard Morgan writes damn good books, so I have high hopes for the story.

Anyway, as much as I love the original game, I'm not gonna write this off just because it's a FPS.

Acosta

Ninja Scooter said:

People would complain about the same: that is not Syndicate.

I care little about what it is, I care about what is not having that name.

Leckan

Definition of VISCERAL
: felt in or as if in the internal organs of the body : deep <a visceral conviction>
: not intellectual : instinctive, unreasoning <visceral drives>
: dealing with crude or elemental emotions : earthy <a visceral novel>
: of, relating to, or located on or among the viscera : splanchnic <visceral organs>

hmmm

Not sure it's been said already but a lot of people complained when it was announced that Fallout 3 would be a FPS and look how that turned out.

Acosta

outunderthestars said:
THIS. The GAF game snob crew is out in full effect on this already.

Snob? If I like Syndicate, I want more Syndicate.

Is this logic complicated or snobbish to you? I have dear memories of Syndicate as one of my favourite games, so I want more of it, not visceral FPS trash.

And given I am not going to get that, I will call for what it is: trash. If they don't respect my beloved game, I'm not going to respect or support their game. It´s just an exercise of cynicism.

Cartman86

Banned
Leckan said:
Definition of VISCERAL
: felt in or as if in the internal organs of the body : deep <a visceral conviction>
: not intellectual : instinctive, unreasoning <visceral drives>
: dealing with crude or elemental emotions : earthy <a visceral novel>
: of, relating to, or located on or among the viscera : splanchnic <visceral organs>

hmmm

We all know what it means when people use the word in the context of entertainment.

Top Bottom