• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ico/Shadow of the Colossus collection listing on Walmart.com

ummo said:
does anyone checked this already?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ICO-Shadow-of-the-Colossus-PS3-PlayStation-3/15061046

sotcico2.jpg

Posting this for a junior member. From the Shadow of the Colossus thread, I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Seriously, did anybody doubt that a SotC/ICo collection will come? I didn't, but what I highly doubt is that we'll see a release of the much more important project, Last Guardian, before the end of 2011.

Damn Team ICO...

Branduil

I guess I'm going to have to get a PS3 at some point.

If they can get SotC running in HD at 60fps, that will be really nice.

Chrysalis

Bought, but...

that makes me part of the problem. It still kills me (as a Sony fan) that they cut BC the way they did. I had a launch unit to upscale old games, but it died. I suppose I could buy another PS2 and play that, but it would look like crap on my HD monitor. So...Sony to the rescue! Re-purchase your gaming catalog to solve a problem we created!

Branduil

I'm curious what they'll do for ICO HD, the original game ran in supersampled 240x320, which gave it a sort of soft-focus feel. I guess they could just use some kind of soft-focus depth-of-field effect.

Chrysalis said:
Bought, but...

that makes me part of the problem. It still kills me (as a Sony fan) that they cut BC the way they did. I had a launch unit to upscale old games, but it died. I suppose I could buy another PS2 and play that, but it would look like crap on my HD monitor. So...Sony to the rescue! Re-purchase your gaming catalog to solve a problem we created!

Sigh. You do realize that what they're doing with these HD Collections is something that can't be achieved with BC? SoTC would still have a ton of slowdown if you played it through a BC PS3.

Chrysalis

SolidSnakex said:
Sigh. You do realize that what they're doing with these HD Collections is something that can't be achieved with BC? SoTC would still have a ton of slowdown if you played it through a BC PS3.

I get that, and that eases the hurt a bit. Still, I wonder whether any of these HD collections would have been made if the PS3 still offered full BC. Methinks not.

Chrysalis said:
Bought, but...

uh, what? this has nothing to do with simple BC :lol

Novella

Banned
This makes me uncomfortable.

Let's just go ahead and get some guy to repaint the "Mona Lisa" and hang it in the museum.

Chrysalis said:
I get that, and that eases the hurt a bit. Still, I wonder whether any of these HD collections would have been made if the PS3 still offered full BC. Methinks not.

They would've still been released. Most people that have PS3's also have or had PS2's. So if they wanted to play those games in the form that they can be played on the PS2 then they would've done that. The PS3 allows you to play them at 60fps, no screen tearing and with a greatly improved resolution. Oh and trophies for those that really care about them.

Novella said:

Let's just go ahead and get some guy to repaint the "Mona Lisa" and hang it in the museum.
do you realize they touch up the Mona Lisa every so often or are you joking

I am inclined to believe the latter

Branduil

Novella said:

This analogy is so bad it's like you committed the Holocaust on analogies.

Narag

Novella said:

Yeah I'd sure to hate lose that visceral feel of single frames per second in SotC as if I was in such danger that time itself was slowing down. Bring on the version that isn't hindered by hardware limitation, I say!

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Novella said:

Agreed, generally works of art like this shouldn't be re-purposed. But as long as it has Fumito Ueda's blessing then I'm okay with it. I'm so sorry for typing out this silly post.

SolidSnakex said:
I've never heard of slowdown issues with God of War and besides the trophies there's nothing they did which was worth a damn (ie 40 bucks) if the PS3 would still be backwardscompatible. And of course, they wouldn't release these HD collections if B/C would still exists.

ummo

Banned
thanks for the quote rainking187

Preorder this item today and it should arrive on or just after 04/01/2011 april's... not with ueda's magic please...

there's also a release date hmmm, someone at walmart it's about to be fired / promoted / embargo executed.

Branduil

A better analogy is a painting that's just been restored. Some people might like the version with duller colors as a matter of preference, but it's silly to say restoring art is desecrating it.

Branduil said:
A better analogy is a painting that's just been restored. Some people might like the version with duller colors as a matter of preference, but it's silly to say restoring art is desecrating it.
In some cases it is (see: Sistine Chapel), but I hardly think Ico and SotC qualify. Shitty frame rates and standard definition have absolutely nothing to do with what made those games good.

vodka-bull said:
I've never heard of slowdown issues with God of War and besides the trophies there's nothing they did which was worth a damn (ie 40 bucks) if the PS3 would still be backwardscompatible. And of course, they wouldn't release these HD collections if B/C would still exists.

BC and PS2 both still exist. don't buy and move on if you're not interested.

vodka-bull said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/god-of-war-collection-article

You'll find videos there showing you the framerates for the first two GoW games compared to the HD Collections. You also have to take into account that those original games had a lot of screen tearing while the HD Collections have none.

Animator

Novella said:

This has to be one of the top three stupidest posts I have read on the internet.

Chrysalis

SolidSnakex said:
They would've still been released. Most people that have PS3's also have or had PS2's. So if they wanted to play those games in the form that they can be played on the PS2 then they would've done that. The PS3 allows you to play them at 60fps, no screen tearing and with a greatly improved resolution. Oh and trophies for those that really care about them.

Nah...with people switching to HD tv's, ps2 games look like crap without upscaling. So for plenty of people, that isn't an option. Let's try an analogy:

Re-buying a game in HD is like re-buying your movie collection in blu-ray: it's something you only really care about if you A) have a decent pile of cash and B) are at least a mild technophile. But if your dvd player is suddenly no longer compatible with your tv, you've got a much greater need to rebuy your dvd's.

The GAF audience is generally well-to-do enough that we don't mirror the gaming population at large. Buying an old game that you already have for small/moderate visual upgrades isn't something the larger gaming public does.

Augemitbutter said:
BC and PS2 both still exist. don't buy and move on if you're not interested.

??? Really? Outside of the wilderness that is eBay?

vodka-bull said:
I don't know how powerful the upscaling of BC PS3 is, but the graphics of the GoW collection were pretty amazing for what are PS2 games. With this and trophies the HD collections have a good reason to exist.

Top Bottom