• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 3DS to get right analog stick dongle, relaunch 2012 w/ new name [Updated]

Sykane

Impossible....I mean, unless they have every single purchaser of the "original" 3DS a free "nub" and even then it would be a terrible idea...

What the hell is it with Nintendo and making major changes to it's consoles after release? Wii motion+, n64 ram packs etc...these types Of changes cant made AFTER a consoles release...

Emitan

radioheadrule83 said:
I said it in the other thread, they may have gotten a couple of things right on Vita and Wii U etc, but that doesn't mean they're always right...

it just reads like absolute bollocks. There's nowhere for an attachment to go, nothing for it to hook into, and wireless or some other hackery would be expensive and compromise resources during gameplay... I just don't see it happening when the only genre it benefits is FPS and third person brawlers with a mouselook type camera control -- something you can replicate reasonably enough on the touch screen.

AND add to the fact they've just issued a grovelling apology about a price drop, and given away a bunch of free shit... they're not going to alienate people even further with a hardware revision next year either. I'm sorry, but as much as some of you may want it, its not happening. DSphat sorely needed a revision, much moreso than 3DS, and that didn't get one until 18 months to two years after DSphats release...

The fact they're trying to make a story they apparently have stretch over 5 days tells me they're playing for hits.

This isn't a new thread for new news, its a new thread for crazy rumour and speculation.
Did you miss out on this gen and the one before it? Or are you just completely insane?

Also, said this in the other thread, but what is this supposed to mean?

Only they can enrich the software line-up, suffering so far from a relatively low volume of fresh titles, which makes Nintendo’s ongoing policy towards developers all the less coherent. The submission and approval process is described as very costly, time-consuming and often arbitrary in nature.

Nintendo abandoned the notion of a content-based approval process years ago; is it their bug-checking and technical certification process that's supposedly drastically worse on 3DS than on previous platforms? And why would that be the case?

PowderedToast

not many people were talking about the lack of second analogue before launch, i remember specifically because i brought it up in a thread and it was largely ignored. just shows how different the perception of the machine was back then, i.e. it was infallible.

i remember reading that it wasn't included because nintendo didn't want to overwhelm customers and make control too complicated - or something to that effect. a lot of casual players still struggle with dual analogue and have never gotten over the hump, so i can sort of see that.

Delio

I will say though that if Nintendo comes out E3 next year with a new 3Ds with a second stick i will scream and just wonder what the fuck they are thinking.

onipex

Maybe I'm way off but wouldn't a thumb stylus be a much better idea? Maybe this thing just has an extension that moves on the touch screen when you move the stick.

I can't think of anywhere it would plug in so I don't see any other way it would work.

Edit.... oh it is new handheld without 3D and another stick. Well that is stupid if true. Reminds me of the super gameboy though I guess this time Nintendo might pull the trigger if sales don't look good for the rest of the year.

KAL2006

Banned
PowderedToast said:
not many people were talking about the lack of second analogue before launch, i remember specifically because i brought it up in a thread and it was largely ignored. just shows how different the perception of the machine was back then, i.e. it was infallible.

i remember reading that it wasn't included because nintendo didn't want to overwhelm customers and make control too complicated - or something to that effect. a lot of casual players still struggle with dual analogue and have never gotten over the hump, so i can sort of see that.

I always bought it up, but I gues we had a lot of suckers here who fell for the hype

Emitan

Stumpokapow said:
tell us more about your opinion.
Nintendo sucks really hard

I don't believe this at all. If Nintendo wanted two sticks they would have put it in at launch. Unless developers didn't ask Nintendo for it until now.

Sylver said:
Does Nintendo fear Vita?
They should if they're smart.

Hyuga

Banned
According to our source, right as you read those lines, Nintendo engineers are spending many sleepless nights working on an additional device, which should be sold separately for about 10 dollars. Its shape and fixation mechanism are still unknown, but it needs a tight grip on the right part of the console.
lmao!
Nintendo is currently preparing a new 3DS for a 2012 release. This new version would radically tone down the whole “3D“ angle, with a new design and even probably a different name.
3DS, "without" the 3D feature..... selling the handheld with its 2D features alone.....????
lmao part II
Sylver said:
Does Nintendo fear Vita?
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht!!!!! Don't make "them" angry here @Neogaf!

Getting a little tired of the circlejerking over dual analog. The PSP did fine for 6 years with only one analog nub, the DS did fine for 7 years with no analog whatsoever, and iOS is thriving with no physical input at all.

Brinbe

So it's just a totally different device, back to the drawing board! Kinda glad I've held off, regardless of the truth of this. Just wait for dat revision, however way it gets here.
KuGsj.gif

watershed

Banned
No way this is true. Come on, a 5 part leak running all week? I've never seen any info from any industry leak in a 5 part series of articles running in one week. Either NoE just fired someone and they want revenge or someone's leg is getting pulled hard.

PowderedToast

KAL2006 said:
I always bought it up, but I gues we had a lot of suckers here who fell for the hype
yeah sorry, the post comes off as definitive but obviously it's just from what i read. i struggled to find any real discussion about it anywhere, not just GAF.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Hyuga said:
lmao!

3DS, "without" the 3D feature..... selling the handheld with its 2D features alone.....????
lmao part II

Ok, the part about the sleepless nights is lolworthy :lol

Hyuga said:
lmao!

lmao part II

I'd read 'tone down' as not sell it around that feature. It would exist or some games would stop working. Or at least, it would still need 2 cameras in the back.

The analogue stick bit is certainly the most difficult to believe. However:

Nintendo is currently preparing a new 3DS for a 2012 release. This new version would radically tone down the whole “3D“ angle, with a new design and even probably a different name.

Wouldn't this make business sense?

Distance from the 3D stigma, a brand name that fully distinguishes the unit as something seperate to the DS, and recapturing the hype of being new accompanied with presumably a more substantial catalogue of games. Its certainly a more appealing scenario for Nintendo than the present one.

People are saying that the early adopters will be crushed, but with respect, Nintendo doesn't need you. They need the mass market, the families, the people that bought the DS in droves. This isn't happening with the 3DS and if any momentum is building then it appears to be glacial in speed.

Emitan

LovingSteam said:
Really people? REALLY? Do so many of you lack common sense that you fall for this drivel?
Go to Capcom's Facebook page. Look at the people begging for Asuras Wrath. People are stupid.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Jinfash said:
So now the rumor is suggesting that there will be a dongle next year and a redesigned, redubbed 3DS? If true, post price cut adopters will also feel betrayed. I wonder what title Nintendo will give them.

Suckers, For buying a system that is apparently not gonna exist in a year. Doesn't matter what they call them since this rumor seems so far out of reality or reason. No way they'd burn 3DS buyers twice.

Boney

Banned
Heavy said:
These guys revealed the Vita specs before anyone else and also Wii U specs (which are not confirmed from Nintendo but most likely true). No reason not to believe this.
Except you know...

common sense.

Hyuga

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
I'd read 'tone down' as not sell it around that feature. It would exist or some games would stop working.
The 3DS without its "gimmick" is nothing! Sorry, but.... well, sorry!

AbsoluteZero said:
Getting a little tired of the circlejerking over dual analog. The PSP did fine for 6 years with only one analog nub, the DS did fine for 7 years with no analog whatsoever, and iOS is thriving with no physical input at all.
different strokes for different folks!

LovingSteam said:
Really people? REALLY? Do so many of you lack common sense that you fall for this drivel?

I honestly have done more Picard face-palm in this thread than any other this year...and it just began. It's actually sad watching the agendas and rumor mongering flying about, with no regard to common sense.

Top Bottom