• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Users banned from Upload Studio for swearing?

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1rd0su/psa_for_upload_studio_do_not_use_any_profanity/

Just letting everyone know since I can't find any information about it online. I made a video and said a bad word (not really a swear in my opinion, but I do understand their displeasure - the nickname of the name Richard) and now I am not able to put Kinect videos on my uploads or upload gameplay at all. I have no idea how long this will last.
I do understand I shouldn't have said it and know where xbox is coming from, but I wish there was a disclaimer about it since I had no idea I would be banned for that. Like I said, ignorance isn't an excuse, but I'm just warning you guys in case you didn't know like me.
I'll update if I find out more information/when I'm unbanned.
Note: I can still do everything else on the console, just not upload

He says he wasn't banned from Live, but just banned from using US.

Update:
UPDATE: Okay I got a hold of a Microsoft representative. They've told me that my standing is "good" and don't see an issue with my account - I'm in "good standing." However, he said that there may be some issues with Skype and Upload Studio, which matches what others have been saying. There are apparently steps being made to reverse the bans. If I find anymore info, I'll post it, and if anyone finds anything else, just PM me and I'll put it up here.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Wow, that sucks. I know that when you title the upload, it checks with the server to make sure it's acceptable, but I didn't realize they would be monitoring the content of the videos (makes some sense I guess since it is public).

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Should warn people at least I guess. I'm not sure users were aware of this policy.

This could also just be a technical issue.

I wonder if it's a coincidence and he's just having problems connecting to upload studio given that it appears he didn't get an error message along with this quote from someone else:

Getting the same issue here, I uploaded a clip that had a single swear in it as well. Thought it was only editing and saving the video locally or to Skydrive. I hope it's a just a temporary ban if it is.
I spoke to support though and they said there was no negative feedback against me or bans.
They seemed pretty confused about what was happening as well... Hopefully they have more information about this soon!

Highly unlikely Microsoft has paid people to watch every single recorded clip. I mean come on, they can't even automate it because it's not like their voice recognition technology is good enough to flag swears with 100% accuracy... this is probably just a hardware glitch, if it's even real.

jem0208

I read it was also for using profanity over skype? It's in the Xbone launch thread.

I think it might be that swearing on an Upload Studio video gets you banned from Skype as well.

Someone in the comments said this:

Wow, so that's probably why I'm banned from Skype, I uploaded a video and said check this shit out. Just checked also can't use upload studio. Does anyone know if you can set upload studios videos to friends only? If I ever get unbanned.

Zomba13

How does it work if it was a game with swears in it? If It was a game where the character says "fuck off" or whatever are you not allowed to comment over with that sort of language or is it according to age rating? Seems stupid but I guess I can understand if it was a rated E game they don't want people saying fuck and shit but that shouldn't matter at all for a game rated 18 or whatever.

Eusis

I actually like that tbh lol

I'm okay with this.
You say this over what can be relative minor or common swears? What the hell?

If they seriously think it's an issue then they should just auto-lock their uploads to only be viewable by adults and save banning for stuff like the strip show weirdness that happened on PS4 or anything that really goes over the line like full blown hate speech. These games and their audiences, of course we'll fucking swear.

Steel

Banned
Well kinect can recognize words, does it really have a checker in it for swear words? Cause that's just weird.

syko de4d

So it looks like they control every written and spoken word on Xbox one? How else would it be possible to ban people for Video/Chat content no one had flagged/reported?

Weenerz

Banned
So if someone uploads gameplay and in that gameplay they use a bad word, will they banned for that as well? What a lame fucking policy if this is true. Aren't you supposed to be 18 to sign up for Xbox Live? Don't you have to agree to legally binding shit in the TOS before you even finish setting up the system? Why is this a thing, stop being a nanny and just make games.

How does it work if it was a game with swears in it? If It was a game where the character says "fuck off" or whatever are you not allowed to comment over with that sort of language or is it according to age rating? Seems stupid but I guess I can understand if it was a rated E game they don't want people saying fuck and shit but that shouldn't matter at all for a game rated 18 or whatever.

That is what I was going to ask. I mean, can I not post videos of Dead Rising 3?

Kunan

People in that thread are now also saying they're getting banned from Skype on Xbox because they swore in calls. Really?! Not sure if true; would be ridiculous.

Feorax

Essentially, this would make the feature useless for 99% of Lets Plays.

It will be interesting to see what happens if prominent Youtube personalities start getting blocked.

Eusis

So if someone uploads gameplay and in that gameplay they use a bad word, will they banned for that as well? What a lame fucking policy if this is true. Aren't you supposed to be 18 to sign up for Xbox Live? Don't you have to agree to legally binding shit in the TOS before you even finish setting up the system? Why is this a thing, stop being a nanny and just make games.
There can be child accounts, and they want to cultivate more of a for everyone image which you can't really blame them for. But there's better options in regards to that than just a full blown upload ban.

Top Bottom