• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham City Imposters going free to play

Nabs brought this up in the Steam thread. It looks like Gotham City Impostors is going to go free to play soon, since there is a free to play trailer in the Steam registry:

http://cdr.thebronasium.com/app/81959

Hopefully they'll drop Live with this version of the game. Maybe they'll do what the Toy Soldiers studio decided and make a separate Steamworks version of their title.

Edit: I need to start spell correcting my titles ;_;

FHIZ

Well, it certainly had all the systems to do so in place... just had to pay for it to begin with.

Nevertheless, I liked the game well enough, and it'll be interesting to see if anything would happen to the PSN and XBLA versions of the games.

web01

I enjoyed the beta alot on PS3 but the matchmaking was completely broken.
Releasing the game in a broken state was a stupid because the gameplay is really fun.

lvclix

Banned
I tried it since it was free on PS+. Played it for a day. It was alot of fun though it takes forever to unlock anything.

I just don't have time for freemium anything now-a-days. Between work/family/other non-gaming hobbies, either unlock everything day 1 or I move along.

1-D_FTW

Unless they ditch GFWL it won't matter. No shooter should ever be a GFWL game. And unless they correct this fatal flaw, it'll remain a dead game.

it was already free to play, they just made us pay for it first.

going to the unlock menus and seeing all those micro transactions all the time was depressing.

Dgott

Banned
Matchmaking is still broken on the PS3 version. I own both the Xbox and ps3 version and matchmaking is buttery smooth on Xbox.

Axiom

It should have been free to play from the beginning, it's really fun but finding a game was crazy hard.

Hell being so frustrated with it is what got me to try Super Monday Night Combat (free, but struggling these days regardless) and spend a bunch in their store instead.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I downloaded it free from PS+ but still haven't played it. Is it good?

Depends on your tastes. I absolutely loved it because of how chaotic it the whole thing was. The last time I had this much fun was with Bioshock 2's MP.

Edit: And it's not really a stretch to go ftp for them. They have all that stuff already in there ready to go.

The M.O.B

They can basically shadow TF2 with this game, it works perfectly.

New capes, different weapon abilities, etc. But have every map unlocked and a small chance to win a item if you put enough hours in.

Would love to try this.

Fraeon

Yeah, I tried the game, it was pretty damn dead. Shame, since it really could be a fun game... if it had people playing it.

cametall

Bought it on PSN at release. The stat wipe bug and Monolith's reluctance to do anything about it killed the game for me.

Got my level and coins back but lost my awesome stats and calling cards.

LiK

well, I have it free on PS+ and part of the Batman bundle in Steam sale so I have all the DLC. Looks like I'm set.

evangd007

Unless they ditch GFWL it won't matter. No shooter should ever be a GFWL game. And unless they correct this fatal flaw, it'll remain a dead game.

Unfortunately this. I was interested until I learned it was GFWL. I do anything I can to avoid that service.

I absolutely loved the game when it came out, ended up putting a few hundred hours in over the first few months. Problem is that it had severe matchmaking, lobby, party and lag issues that never got fixed and the community challenge support completely dried up.

I'm not surprised the PC version is going F2P, that version suffered the most with horribly delayed DLC and the most matchmaking issues - it was completely dead a month after release.

Haunted

it was already free to play, they just made us pay for it first.

going to the unlock menus and seeing all those micro transactions all the time was depressing.
Probably smart business to get some money out of the die-hard fanbase (although I dunno how much franchise appeal this has with its spoof of Batman and co.) before making it F2P, even if the game is laid out for that with microtransactions and whatnot in the first place.

That said, with people saying the community is dead etc, they probably don't have any other choice.

The game is fun. It's kind of CoD mixed with Shadowrun '07. I do agree that the unlocks take way too long to get though and it makes it pretty blatant that they want you to pay for them (which has been an option since launch). It would have been ok if it was skewed this way for the cosmtic stuff but it's a little unexcusable for the weapons, equipment, and perks. At least the preset classes have most everything available to you so it's not pay to win.

Cade

Just called this a couple days ago after someone gifted it to me. I love it, I have a lot of fun with it, and I remarked it'd do really well if it went F2P. BAM!

That's how I roll.

It was kind of dead when I played so I'm happy for the change.

Prezhulio

the free ps+ version ran like complete garbage. played the tutorial, let it look for a game for several minutes, and eventually turned it off.

also, as someone else said, it was basically f2p already with all the nickel and diming unlocks. i'll probably install it on my pc if it actually goes f2p and check it out there though.

Dyno

At this point developers like this are basically running a scam. The game was F2P from top to bottom right from the get-go. They put out a $15 beta only they didn't call it that. Then once interest is down they release their game as the model it was meant to be.

It's a cash grab, pure and simple. I think companies that do this are shit.

Will it be free on Xbox 360 too? It won't, right? Microsoft would have a heart-attack if something was free in XBLA. Then again, there are a few free XBLA games so maybe, just maybe...

Toppot

Game looked very interesting, just didn't get round to picking it up, now, it doesn't matter. Hope the F2Pness isn't too bad, TF2 level would be fine.

Apdiddy

I'm glad I didn't buy this -- I played the demo on Xbox Live and just didn't like it. I thought it was too much like Team Fortress 2 but with Batman/Joker characters and minus the charm of TF2. It felt like a cash grab than a decent game.

Top Bottom