• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Survivor: Overclocked |OT| - And on the Eighth Day...

Hylian7

I got this as a gift yesterday. I had never played the original, and I'm loving the game so far. I'm still on day 1, after the "snowman" event.

Okay, so I finally just beat the main game for the first time (MC was Lv65 and the clock was at 29:51:54), despite buying the original when it came out (I think I just made it to day 4).

DAMN! My SMT pride kept me from playing on Easy, so the last few battles were excruciating. I just told myself that I'd watch the ending on Youtube when I couldn't get through the boss rush at the end, but I just kept playing and hated losing and just didn't want to play anymore.

...then I realized that there was a Suspend Save. I am so stupid. I totally thought that Suspend Save would be the typical save-then-go-to-title-screen save, but I was so wrong. I really wish I would have used it earlier! After that, it made the final form so much easier, haha.

I ended up doing the
Naoya
path which was a bitch. I seriously made it through the final boss fight with my last two characters standing with barely over 100 HP left and no MP. Thank goodness for Phys weakness!

I really couldn't get into the story my first time around, but it picked up so much on those last few days that it really felt like a game in the SMT universe. Regarding the ending I got,
it was pretty insane seeing the MC pull a Demi Fiend and raise an army to take down God. I felt like the game's 7 Day structure added so much to the ending's punch, along with the "social" aspects with the other main characters. Really, I felt that the game really managed to get away without any really melodramatic moments with the ending because of the way that Yuzu, Midori, and Keisuke leave your party when you choose the Naoya path. It also made me feel really bad for Atsuro. Poor guy was torn between his best friend and being alone.

Anyways, I really liked the game. It totally picked up in the last few days of the narrative. I'm normally not a huge fan of SRPGs, but the traditional turn-based internal battles made me stick with it. I'm looking forward to the sequel (and I'll probably play through the 8th Day sometime before the sequel comes out), but I really, really, really wish it was on the 3DS too. It'll be so strange going back to the game without voice acting (which was spot on, aside from Midori).

Did they change anything about NG+?

I disliked:
1) Having to re-level characters.
2) Having no way to skip chat screens.
3) The NG+ enemies starting at level 1, so everything is a joke.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Did they change anything about NG+?

I disliked:
1) Having to re-level characters.
2) Having no way to skip chat screens.
3) The NG+ enemies starting at level 1, so everything is a joke.

They changed it in that you select which perks to bring with you onto a second playthrough based on any achievements you might have got playing through the game. But everything else remains the same.

I believe that you could always skip the dialog though... even in the original.

KarmaCow

They changed it in that you select which perks to bring with you onto a second playthrough based on any achievements you might have got playing through the game. But everything else remains the same.

I believe that you could always skip the dialog though... even in the original.

I don't know about the original version but you can't skip dialogue screens and cutscenes, just fast forward through dialogue.

Yeah, I know you can fast forward, but that makes it even more annoying somehow, like I'm just waiting for the text to finish so I can steamroll a boring battle. All of this just to try another ending. It could be done better.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I got this game on sale at EBGames during box day week ($10 off). I've never played the original one and I've been having an RPG/SRPG itch for a while.

I've only played around two hours of it but I have to say I'm impressed by the story thus far and the voice work. I am playing it on easy, though I do plan on revisiting the game on normal later on.

The grid system reminds me of Fire Emblem, though you can actually attack someone first, then move your player after (you can't do that in FE) - and that makes me happy.

Also, does anyone get a TWEWY vibe from this game when playing it? I don't know what it is, since the two games aren't related.

I got this game on sale at EBGames during box day week ($10 off). I've never played the original one and I've been having an RPG/SRPG itch for a while.

I've only played around two hours of it but I have to say I'm impressed by the story thus far and the voice work. I am playing it on easy, though I do plan on revisiting the game on normal later on.

The grid system reminds me of Fire Emblem, though you can actually attack someone first, then move your player after (you can't do that in FE) - and that makes me happy.

Also, does anyone get a TWEWY vibe from this game when playing it? I don't know what it is, since the two games aren't related.
You can move after attacking in some FEs.

Argh!
i1MCJMI4TodLh.gif

(Yuzu's route spoilers, sort of)
I finished Yuzu's 8th day and didn't get the good ending. :( Fuck, I don't have a save file earlier enough in the day to get it. I gave the Devas the stupid sword. :\ The writing was a bit mixed for the 8th day, but it came together in the end well. Poor Honda. That was way, way better than Yuzu's vanilla ending. I also completed Gin's/Haru's route, it was my first time ever beating it. Sad that there wasn't any extra content, but they couldn't have exactly stretched it to include an 8th day. Though the ending didn't give me a whole lot of satisfaction. Oh well, time for either Atsuro's route or Amane's. I played Amane's route in the original game, but not Atsuro's.

I just beat Naoya/Kaido route's 8th day, with the good ending.
Metatron was a pushover, unlike Okuninushi.
That was even more of a cocktease than the original ending. :( Damn it, Devil Survivor 3 better cover
the protagonist's future adventures, whether he becomes the messiah or overlord. I think between the two, they could justify a whole game. I want to fight God, damn it! :(

Verelios

Wow, can't find this game for a reasonable price =/. Wonder if I can eventually get it since I did like the original~ I wish Atlus sold games like NIS does.

Wow, can't find this game for a reasonable price =/. Wonder if I can eventually get it since I did like the original~ I wish Atlus sold games like NIS does.
Amazon still had it a few weeks ago. Amazon is pretty much Atlus' store, by the way. They used to have their own shop but just switched over to Amazon.

I've had a hankerin' for some DS the last couple weeks with 2 out. Sucks they made 2 for DS, I'm pretty curious to try it but I don't have a DS anymore, and it'd be really annoying going from Overclocked to the washed out "DS game on 3DS" look, besides the crappy resolution and horrible font.

When I beat the game I started a New Game Plus and got a couple days into it. If I were to start playing it again could I restart my New Game Plus? I guess I could just dig it out and see, if that's possible I'll probably play through it again.

I've had a hankerin' for some DS the last couple weeks with 2 out. Sucks they made 2 for DS, I'm pretty curious to try it but I don't have a DS anymore, and it'd be really annoying going from Overclocked to the washed out "DS game on 3DS" look, besides the crappy resolution and horrible font.

When I beat the game I started a New Game Plus and got a couple days into it. If I were to start playing it again could I restart my New Game Plus? I guess I could just dig it out and see, if that's possible I'll probably play through it again.
No, unfortunately you can't unless you have the initial save.

How rare is this game? Seems pretty rare going by amazon prices.
Not as rare as it was for a while, between sometime after release and last December. I think there has been a fairly steady flow of demand since then. It's been in stock on Amazon, with a small period of time when it was out of stock. It's even available on GameStop's website.

Pyrokai

Yeah, it's currently in stock on Amazon. Thinking about pulling the trigger before it's too late again. But...is this game worth getting over the standard DS game?

Koroviev

Just bought this. Never finished the original (think I wimped out on Wendigo, pathetic...), but have since finished Devil Survivor 2. Make me feel good about adding to my backlog and having less money! :(

Is a physical build viable in this version?

Kazerei

Banned
Just bought this. Never finished the original (think I wimped out on Wendigo, pathetic...), but have since finished Devil Survivor 2. Make me feel good about adding to my backlog and having less money! :(

Is a physical build viable in this version?

No, not really. Too many enemies that resist/null/drain/reflect phys, and not enough phys-type skills to go around. Overclocked does add some more phys-type skills, but it doesn't fix much.

You'll probably want to keep Atsuro on your team, he's a strong phys character, and the rest of the team will be magic characters.

Koroviev

No, not really. Too many enemies that resist/null/drain/reflect phys, and not enough phys-type skills to go around. Overclocked does add some more phys-type skills, but it doesn't fix much.

You'll probably want to keep Atsuro on your team, he's a strong phys character, and the rest of the team will be magic characters.

I see, thanks :)

So, no pierce or pierce+?

Edit: Is the difference between DSO and DS2 comparable to the difference between P3P and P4? Just curious haha

Koroviev

Coming into this from Persona 4, what can I expect?

There's a strong emphasis on character development, so that aspect should be familiar to you. The game will probably seem more difficult, but there are certain strategies, especially concerning boss fights, that remain pretty viable throughout. I can give you a good tip, but only if you're okay with it (not a spoiler really, just a feature of the AI).

Most of the voice acting ranges from good to great (see: Spike Spencer's Atsuro), but naturally, there are those who disagree. Overall, the presentation of the game is very nice, a big improvement on the original. The 2D art is nice and crisp. Some of the character designs seem a little off to me, but the main cast look fine. The music can be more than a little repetitive, but I just turn it down during battles. You won't find much 3D beyond the intro, but that's not a big deal. I can't think of how it would enhance the gameplay (see: Pushmo for a good example of helpful 3D).

I can't say for sure, but I think you'll enjoy it. There is definitely more of a "social link" aspect to the gameplay than in, say, Strange Journey (a good game, nonetheless). It doesn't have the "fate links" that Devil Survivor 2 does, which intertwine the social link aspect and the gameplay (i.e. if you speak with someone often, you'll be able to crack skills more easily). That's not a big deal, though. You'll be presented with plenty of opportunities to get to know the characters you like, while being equally able to (mostly) ignore those you don't. While I prefer the cast of DS2, Atsuro really makes up for the shortcomings in DSO's cast. He's not the only good character, but he's definitely one of the best.

XeroSauce

There's a strong emphasis on character development, so that aspect should be familiar to you. The game will probably seem more difficult, but there are certain strategies, especially concerning boss fights, that remain pretty viable throughout. I can give you a good tip, but only if you're okay with it (not a spoiler really, just a feature of the AI).

Most of the voice acting ranges from good to great (see: Spike Spencer's Atsuro), but naturally, there are those who disagree. Overall, the presentation of the game is very nice, a big improvement on the original. The 2D art is nice and crisp. Some of the character designs seem a little off to me, but the main cast look fine. The music can be more than a little repetitive, but I just turn it down during battles. You won't find much 3D beyond the intro, but that's not a big deal. I can't think of how it would enhance the gameplay (see: Pushmo for a good example of helpful 3D).

I can't say for sure, but I think you'll enjoy it. There is definitely more of a "social link" aspect to the gameplay than in, say, Strange Journey (a good game, nonetheless). It doesn't have the "fate links" that Devil Survivor 2 does, which intertwine the social link aspect and the gameplay (i.e. if you speak with someone often, you'll be able to crack skills more easily). That's not a big deal, though. You'll be presented with plenty of opportunities to get to know the characters you like, while being equally able to (mostly) ignore those you don't. While I prefer the cast of DS2, Atsuro really makes up for the shortcomings in DSO's cast. He's not the only good character, but he's definitely one of the best.

Thanks! I replied in the other thread.

C.T.

Yuzu is soo stupid and I hate Midori, such an one dimensional moe character. I'm playing the DS original right on the fifth day and made the wrong move.
gave the bag to Mari instead of Kaido and Keisuke gets killed by Kaido
Didn't see it coming and I'm pissed. For a game like that they should implement more than 1 savefile and the option to restart a whole day IMO. Other than that it's great.

aett

I found this at Gamestop a few months ago and snatched it up (it didn't have a case, so I almost didn't see it among all the other caseless DS/3DS games) and I finally just started playing it the other day. I'm only on the second day so far and having a good time. Some enemies have started to attack me from two squares away... Hopefully I don't find myself too outmatched soon.

Koroviev

I found this at Gamestop a few months ago and snatched it up (it didn't have a case, so I almost didn't see it among all the other caseless DS/3DS games) and I finally just started playing it the other day. I'm only on the second day so far and having a good time. Some enemies have started to attack me from two squares away... Hopefully I don't find myself too outmatched soon.

They can do that using the dragon racial skill "evil wave." If you want to be able to fight back when they do that, then you need to have a dragon on your team.

cj_iwakura

Finished the Naoya/Kaido 'evil route'.

Agreed that the ending is a mad copout.

If Metatron's a normal boss in other routes, go the full nine.

Yahweh sprite. Would've been amazing.

Still, it was a great path, and the Day 7 ending was amazing.

I wish they'd given the main an Overlord sprite with the cape and all. Awesome design.

Not sure if this is old news (if it is news) but a certain banned website
has it listed for a PAL release on the 19th October with a pre-order price of £26.84. Have I missed anything or is this an early leak?

Edit: Seems Ghostlight confirmed this back in April. Still, news to me! Booyah!

redlemon

Not sure if this is old news (if it is news) but a certain banned website
has it listed for a PAL release on the 19th October with a pre-order price of £26.84. Have I missed anything or is this an early leak?

Edit: Seems Ghostlight confirmed this back in April. Still, news to me! Booyah!

It's coming out if that's what you mean. They haven't set a date yet but on twitter they said it definitely won't be out until after august.

Playing this now. I forget if Marksman ever existed in the original, but thank god I cracked it early.

Decided to do a magic/agility glass cannon MC.
Beldr
is going to be a bitch to beat though.

Jawmuncher

Hopefully someone replies to this and can help me out in depth.

Right now i'm on Day 5 agaisn't Kudlak.
I'm absolutely getting stomped now by the enemies in this game.
It's like the game just had another difficulty spike and I can't even grind the normal battle because im getting no XP from it. Then the Hard Battle is beating my ass with my current load out.

Because I need Help Badly i'll post exactly what im working with
*Also note the demons here for everyone but Hero, are new demons I got at auction.
No fusion or anything and I know thats probably an issue alone, but my the other demons I was using seem to be to weak to go on.

HERO - LV.32
HP 282
MP 115
ST 19
MA 7
VI 15
AG 7

Spells - Agi, Mute Eyes, Brutal Hit
Passive - Phys Boost, Mana Surge, Anti-Elec
Auto- Fortify

Demons for Hero
Thor (LV 24, HP 253, MP 36) (Moves- Elec Dance, Berserk, Fire Dance)(Passive-Counter and Hero Aid) (Auto-Awakening)
Kikuri-Hime (LV 27 HP 209, MP 132) (Moves- Media, Recarm, Fire Dance)(Passive- Anti Fire, Anti Curse, Life Bonus) (Auto-Affection)

atsuro- LV.34
HP-423
MP-77

Spells-Zio, Anger Hit, Power Hit
Passive-Hero Aid, Life Bonus, Life Surge
Auto-Marksman

Demons for Atsuro
Lorelei (LV 33, HP 200, MP 198) (Moves- Diarahan) (passive Vigilant and mana surge) (Auto-Charm)
Mothman (LV34, HP 250, MP 153)(Moves- Media)(Passive-None)(Auto-Devil Speed)

Yuzu- Lv. 34
HP-238
MP-184

Spells-Dia, Maragi, Amrita
Passive-Anti-ice, +mute, Mana Bonus
Auto-Blitzkrieg

Demons
Afanc-(LV 30, HP 258, MP 82)(Spells-Ice Dance, Fire Dance, Zan)(Passive-Phys Boost, Retaliate)(Auto-Devil Speed)
Silky-(LV 30, HP 192, MP 157)(Spells-Bufu, Media, Ice Dance)(Passive-None)(Auto-Charm)

Midori- LV.33
HP-247
MP-122

Spells-Media, Fire Dance, Ice Dance
Passive-Anti Force, Life Aid, +Paralyze
Auto-Battle Aura

Demons
YM-(LV 33, HP 246, MP 100)(Spells-Petra Eys)(Passive-Watchful)(Auto-Evil Wave)
Hanuman-(LV 32, HP 264, MP 80)(Spells-Force Dance)(Passive-Retaliate)(Auto-Phantasma)

Cracked Command Skills
Media, Amrita, Fire Dance, Dia, Agi, Maragi, Bufu, Ice Dance, zio, Elec dance, zan, holy dance, drain, anger hitm power hit, brutal hit, mute eyes, makajamon.

Cracked Passive Skills
leaders soul, +mute, +poison, +paralyze, life bonus, life surge, mana bonus, mana surge, hero aid, phys boost, anti-ice, anti-elec, anti-force, life aid.

Cracked Auto Skills
Blitzkrieg, fortify, tailwind, marksman, battle aura.

Nonactive Demons
Basilisk LV.25
Peri LV.28
Nisroc LV.27
Gozuki LV.25
Shiisaa LV.26
Heimdall LV.29
King Frost LV.28

Really hope someone can help me out here, I really want to beat this game.
But I was not expecting such a challenge especially on easy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's been ages, so I can't provide any specific help, but you want to look at some fusion guides to get better personas. Specifically, you can get Personas that are basically null/anti most attacks among other things.

You may need to grind for money if working with the compendium is the issue.

Jawmuncher

It's been ages, so I can't provide any specific help, but you want to look at some fusion guides to get better personas. Specifically, you can get Personas that are basically null/anti most attacks among other things.

You may need to grind for money if working with the compendium is the issue.

ok will definetly keep this in mind. since it does seem a lot of my issues stem from not very good demons

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ok will definetly keep this in mind. since it does seem a lot of my issues stem from not very good demons
Yeah, if you get the right combo, you can steamroll through the vanilla part of the game. Use the fact that you can choose what skills to inherit to your advantage. By the time you're on NG++, you'll have dudes that basically can't take any damage.

I honestly don't remember any of the trees any more, but I'm sure GameFAQs will have decent builds. The idea is to grind up some "junk" Persona with useful skills, put them in your compendium, and then just use those pass up resistances and such to the personas that you want.

Jawmuncher

Yeah, if you get the right combo, you can steamroll through the vanilla part of the game. Use the fact that you can choose what skills to inherit to your advantage. By the time you're on NG++, you'll have dudes that basically can't take any damage.

I honestly don't remember any of the trees any more, but I'm sure GameFAQs will have decent builds. The idea is to grind up some "junk" Persona with useful skills, put them in your compendium, and then just use those pass up resistances and such to the personas that you want.

Thanks.
This info alone should help me out a lot.
Is there any major reasons to do NG++?
I know about the different paths and such, is that the only way you can acess the 8th day?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thanks.
This info alone should help me out a lot.
Is there any major reasons to do NG++?
I know about the different paths and such, is that the only way you can acess the 8th day?
The ending you get changes which 8th day you get, so if you want to see everything, you need to beat the game 3-4 times.

Also, they changed NG so that you don't get everything the first time around. The game has "achievements" (that you can only see after you beat the game) that gives you unlock points to select things for NG. So basically you want to replay the game a few times so that you can have more options for subsequent NG runthroughs.

I really don't like that feature, because it artificially extends the game (and really, once you beat the game with awesome Persona, the first 5 days are trivial anyway). But you have to work with what they give you.

Jawmuncher

The ending you get changes which 8th day you get, so if you want to see everything, you need to beat the game 3-4 times.

Also, they changed NG so that you don't get everything the first time around. The game has "achievements" (that you can only see after you beat the game) that gives you unlock points to select things for NG. So basically you want to replay the game a few times so that you can have more options for subsequent NG runthroughs.

I really don't like that feature, because it artificially extends the game (and really, once you beat the game with awesome Persona, the first 5 days are trivial anyway). But you have to work with what they give you.

Ok cool thanks for clearing that up for me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If you value your time and do plan on replaying, I would check the achievements to see which ones you can get on your first playthrough. They made it so that you need a semi-perfect run the first time around if you want to make the game easier in NG+.

(Basically, you want to have enough points to carry over 4 persona, your full compendium, and maybe your money. I can't remember if you can do all of that the first time around though).

Jawmuncher

If you value your time and do plan on replaying, I would check the achievements to see which ones you can get on your first playthrough. They made it so that you need a semi-perfect run the first time around if you want to make the game easier in NG+.

(Basically, you want to have enough points to carry over 4 persona, your full compendium, and maybe your money. I can't remember if you can do all of that the first time around though).

Ok I'll look into that as well.
Since while I might not play again right away, I plan on playing it again later on.

You can, I just beat the game about a week ago and got around 250 points, of course,
everyone survived, and I got most of the extra info titles, except muckracker
I'd recommend the skill transfer, macca transfer, and 4 demons, if you have the spare points then add the no XP limit. I believe your compendium always transfers over.

After my second playthrough I had all but 1 thing unlocked. Can't even remember what it was right now. But if you can pull off the
no deaths and no free battle along with all of the optional bosses
you should be golden for the rest. Hell I just fused
Metatron
so I doubt anyone can touch me now.

Just some random questions, I've beaten the
Naoya (Good and Evil) and Gin
routes. What should I do for my next one?

Tus far
Naoya's Good 8th day
is one of the coolest scenarios and best endings I have seen in a bit. This game is great.

Also when do I fight
Loki?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Shibata just mentioned in the latest Direct that this will come in Europe within the end of the year: Yay! Can't wait, and I hope that the second episode can come mid 2013!

Top Bottom