• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm about half way through and I find fighting regular enemies kind of annoying. I generally run past bobokins and moblins.

The rewards for killing them aren't worth breaking your weapons.

I also tend to use the master sword a lot just because I know it will always be there later.

I normally try to keep one slot free for a crappy/disposable weapon. It can sometimes be fun to go through a camp just using one lower powered weapon and then trading in for whatever the bokoblins etc drop.

On the other hand I have weapons I've been 'saving' but realised it isn't for any practical reason as I'll probably end up never using them. I'm leaving behind great flameswords in chests because I've had one for ever and never used it. So I should use a wider range of my weapons

Chinbo37

I normally try to keep one slot free for a crappy/disposable weapon. It can sometimes be fun to go through a camp just using one lower powered weapon and then trading in for whatever the bokoblins etc drop.

On the other hand I have weapons I've been 'saving' but realised it isn't for any practical reason as I'll probably end up never using them. I'm leaving behind great flameswords in chests because I've had one for ever and never used it. So I should use a wider range of my weapons

Ya exactly. My general strategy has been to this point (approx 75 hours) to always use the weakest weapon I have and when it breaks go up to the next strongest one etc. Saving my strongest weapons for later.

But at this point I am not really using my strongest weapons unless I am fighting Lyonels. I have like 3 Ancient Ax ++s. I guess I really should use stronger weapons.

giapel

I'm about half way through and I find fighting regular enemies kind of annoying. I generally run past bobokins and moblins.

The rewards for killing them aren't worth breaking your weapons.

I also tend to use the master sword a lot just because I know it will always be there later.
I was the same. But then I decided to get more creative with mob encounters and it's been quite fun. There's always an opportunity to make a fight unique.

That's just a huge problem with the game in general to me: you're never justified in using your most powerful weapon - the game just never challenges you enough to constrain you. You'll constantly be saving your most powerful weapons, making encounters artificially challenging and amassing an arsenal that not even the game's bosses justify.

I'm pretty sure in Hyrule Castle alone rests just about every cool weapon/artifact there is, in the game, and not a single enemy there, not even Ganon himself, will compel you to utilize them without compunction. This sucks, because some of the weapons, particularly the elemental ones, look super-cool.

I have no interest in the Master Sword now, because as far as I can tell, there's nothing to really test its power against in the game.

I'm in love with this game, but the psychological neuroses that comes out of weapon durability and the terrible balancing of enemies versus most of these weapons is just terrible and really hope it's addressed in the Hard Mode update.

Ossom

Are there any proper tips on how to beat a silver Lynel?
I find them harder than guardians..

Be patient. When they charge, dodge out the way or freeze them with stasis. When they pause between attacks shoot them in the face with an arrow to stagger them. Then climb on their back and use a strong weapon for high levels of damage. Then rinse and repeat.

I have managed to circle around them and attack from behind without taking much damage, but it isn't the easiest or most consistent approach.

Any other tactics?

Practice head shot, much easier than parry IMO.

I realised that they start using the lightning arrows on you when you try to snipe them from far away and they hit three out of four times.
I just used about three bomb arrows to the head and started attacking it with Urbosa's Fury three times. Then lots of dodging, special arrows to the face and bombs.
It went ok with that and I managed to beat it.

Ossom

I realised that they start using the lightning arrows on you when you try to snipe them from far away and they hit three out of four times.
I just used about three bomb arrows to the head and started attacking it with Urbosa's Fury three times. Then lots of dodging, special arrows to the face and bombs.
It went ok with that and I managed to beat it.

That'll work. Arrows to the face is probably the best strategy. Just stay close enough that it doesn't use arrows itself.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Be patient. When they charge, dodge out the way or freeze them with stasis. When they pause between attacks shoot them in the face with an arrow to stagger them. Then climb on their back and use a strong weapon for high levels of damage. Then rinse and repeat.

I have managed to circle around them and attack from behind without taking much damage, but it isn't the easiest or most consistent approach.

Any other tactics?
Most of their attacks can be flurry rushed or are slow enough to shoot arrows to the face. Use high attack potions or barbarian suit, once you learn their pattern, they won't hit you anymore.

Lynels with a club weapon are the trickiest for me.

I finally got the Master Sword after acquiring 13 hearts and clearing through the Zora and Gerudo realms. But I'm super disappointed in how weak it is and how quickly it "breaks." I don't understand the decision to take one of the most iconic weapons in all of gaming and relegate it to an afterthought.

The game is otherwise great, but the whole weapon breaking system is just beyond frustrating. There at least should have been a mechanic to repair / upgrade weapons that you want to keep.

Just need to farm bokoblins for armour upgrades but half of the bastards are silver at this stage, and their weapon drops don't compensate for using good weapons on them. So I'm going in with relatively poor weapons and then picking up their drops to use on others in the group.

Any particular areas that are rich in bokoblins?

Also anyone know what 'increased guardian defence' means in numbers? I can't afford the ancient armour as I spent all my cash on the last fairy but I might be able to get max hyrule gear

If it helps, I found that one of the shops in Kakariko sold Bokoblin Guts

I finally got the Master Sword after acquiring 13 hearts and clearing through the Zora and Gerudo realms. But I'm super disappointed in how weak it is and how quickly it "breaks." I don't understand the decision to take one of the most iconic weapons in all of gaming and relegate it to an afterthought.

The game is otherwise great, but the whole weapon breaking system is just beyond frustrating. There at least should have been a mechanic to repair / upgrade weapons that you want to keep.

Have you used it much? Its power doubles around guardians and anything infected by Ganon. It only takes 10 minutes to regenerate. Which also happens sooner than I expected. And it shoots a beam when you have full health if you use the throw mechanic. I use it often as it helps me lengthen the life of my other weapons. I'm at the point in the game were my inventory is always full and I have to really think about what weapon to replace in my inventory when I find something new.

The master sword is an essential weapon in my arsenal.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The Master Sword is okay but not great against normal enemies, but it's one of the best weapons in the game against evil stuff like Guardians and the dungeon bosses. Most one-handed swords don't even come close to its boosted damage.

Weapons aren't so bad in mid to late game. Even bokoblins drop pretty good weapons after a while, and chests start throwing really good stuff at you. I'm throwing away flame swords and shit at this point.

It's pretty amusing to have two of the same element weapon, because you can hotswap between them after each swing to reapply the elemental effect over and over again.

KingBroly

Banned
The Master Sword is okay but not great against normal enemies, but it's one of the best weapons in the game against evil stuff like Guardians and the dungeon bosses. Most one-handed swords don't even come close to its boosted damage.

Weapons aren't so bad in mid to late game. Even bokoblins drop pretty good weapons after a while, and chests start throwing really good stuff at you. I'm throwing away flame swords and shit at this point.

It's pretty amusing to have two of the same element weapon, because you can hotswap between them after each swing to reapply the elemental effect over and over again.

Considering there are
Upgraded Guardian weapons (+/++)
I'm surprised that
there is no way to Upgrade Weapons. I'm guessing it came down to balancing the whole system which was probably too exhausting to build.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

It's super powerful
against guardians and against everything in Hyrule Castle

Forkball

I got all of the sidequests. The three I haven't finished yet is the dreaded weapon collector quest, rushroom rush (I only have 20 after all this time), and the Zora stone monuments. Some of the final quests were a lot of random ones where someone was hanging out slightly outside of the area of interest. I found a woman near a tree I've never seen before near Outskirt Stable, the very first stable I went to in the game. There are so many things hidden in plain sight. Luckily she gave me a star fragment which allowed me to upgrade my pants to the highest level. NOW I AM THE ULTIMATE LINK

After beating the game, getting all the shrines, and finding all the side quests... I still only have 94 Korok seeds. I can't believe 800 of these guys are just chilling out somewhere.

Kaban

Just finished Vah
Medoh
last night. Easiest of the beasts, but still fun all the same. And one of the best dungeon soundtracks.

Akuun

Considering there are
Upgraded Guardian weapons (+/++)
I'm surprised that
there is no way to Upgrade Weapons. I'm guessing it came down to balancing the whole system which was probably too exhausting to build.
I was hoping for that too. It seems strange that
you could upgrade armor but not weapons. It makes attack foods so much more important than defense foods in late game.

I was pretty happy to find the Barbarian set to help boost damage output, since the later enemies get pretty damage spongey.

Seriously about to murder someone over this forced stealth no save section in Gerudo.

Every damn time, sneak strike glitches out and makes me do a regular strike, and then I have to start all over. If it gives me the option to sneak strike at all.

Ugh.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Seriously about to murder someone over this forced stealth no save section in Gerudo.

Every damn time, sneak strike glitches out and makes me do a regular strike, and then I have to start all over. If it gives me the option to sneak strike at all.

Ugh.

Are you using
bananas and stasis
? Truth is you don't need to kill anyone to complete that section.

Akuun

You could also
go ultra loud and use Ancient Arrows on the big guys. Ancient Arrows evaporate them.

If they can oneshot you, you can oneshot them back lol.

Ugh.
You don't need to sneak strike any of them. Just stasis and go past.

atr0cious

Is the last fairy worth the 10.000 rubies?
giphy.gif

I mean you don't even need to do either. You can just actually sneak around pretty easily, especially with the bananas.

Yeah I used I think one banana towards the end. Otherwise you just climb up to that huge stash and then walk around the ceiling. This puzzle must be for everyone else how I feel about that fucking Korok stealth quest.

I never thought of doing this. Man that shit took me hours.
Me too haha, I finally beat it using the cheese method. Worst part is
I got in to the final room before the boss my first try and didn't find the hidden door so I was scouring the hideout for the helmet dying over and over to no avail

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I enjoyed the stealth section, but that's mostly because
watching big mucho guys getting giddy over some bananas amused me.

Forkball

I kind of wondered if the Yiga turned into literal ape monsters, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Note that Link never actually kills them, they always teleport away when you beat them. Nintendo went out of their way to show that Link doesn't kill any humans. Murdering sleeping Hinoxes is ok though.

Coffinhal

25h in my second run (I lost my save with my first Switch, 15h in). I played 7h today, discovering a few towers (South East to South West + central region). The game really is huge, I couldn't have done it without my horse for the long distances, and the vertical distance takes a long of time too, and the horse can't help you. I did a few camps, easy sidequests (I completed one of them just by talking to a man)
I was riding the giant horse and found the man who wanted to see the giant horse...and the dialogue made sense obviously
, and just wanted to see the diversity of the map after having explored a good part of the South East part, with a few main quests, shrines, side quests, village(s) discovered etc.

The game has so much depth I'm still amazed by little things and how things work. An open worl usually does it for the first 2 to 5 hours, but here I am, 25 to 40 hours in the game and still discovering how it works.

I did something like 15-20 shrines (enough to get just another stamina wheel), 40 korok seeds. I still didn't kill any mini-boss in the overworld, but I have 10 things I'd like to do next.

That being said, this thread is so spoilerish I'm out of here.

And the lighting and sandboxes systems are just beautiful. Beautiful art direction there, works well with the big open spaces (but I feel like day and nights are too short)

180 hours later I finally set foot into Hyrule Castle and got the
Hylian Shield
. The music is SOOOO GOOD there omfg.

I finally settled down after moving these past few weeks and it's time I wrap it up this weekend.

At the Thundra Plateau there is a triangle of logs. It looks very suspicious but I can't see what to do with it, if it's anything at all. Is this a Korok puzzle?

I kind of wondered if the Yiga turned into literal ape monsters, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Note that Link never actually kills them, they always teleport away when you beat them. Nintendo went out of their way to show that Link doesn't kill any humans. Murdering sleeping Hinoxes is ok though.
Wait, am I misremembering? I thought the stealth kill actually murdered the Yiga.

Top Bottom