• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First placeholder price for Nintendo Switch - $329CAD (~$245 USD)

mdubs

Banned
Toysrus.ca has a placeholder listing up for Nintendo Switch for $329.99 CAD. That's roughly $245 USD, so that would suggest a $249.99 price point. Obviously take it with a grain of salt, but still an oddly specific number to list it at if it is just a temporary price.

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=115713676

3ca2b521a3.png

Neoxon

That'd be the sweet-spot for Nintendo in terms of pricing. Hopefully that turns out to be the actual price (yes, I'm aware that this is a placeholder, but still).

//ARCANUM

That would be an absolutely killer price point. I really hope this is what it ends up being. Won't even be a question for me to get one.

Eolz

1) it's not the first placeholder price
2) it's a placeholder price, just like the ones putting it at 400$, 999$, etc. No need to make news out of that.

Tripon

If I'm Canadian, I would jump at this price. If they raise it, you're locked in, if they drop it, you can always cancel or they will drop it down to keep the pace.

350?!?!!? ARE YOU FUCKING JOKING NINT-

oh wait it's $250 in us dollars lol

That'd be nice, thought it seems to be a placeholder more than anything else at the moment.

Rodin

While i'ts just a placeholder that likely doesn't mean anything, i do think that this is going to be the actual price of the system.

That's the perfect price point if so. Would be really happy if this ended up being true.

Not happy about the exchange rate though. Booo.

If that's not just a placeholder, Nintendo will get a pre-order from me at that price...

...assuming they allow them OAH HO HO HO HO HO

mdubs

Banned
2) it's a placeholder price, just like the ones putting it at 400$, 999$, etc. No need to make news out of that.

Differentiated by how specific it is. Companies rarely list it at anything other than a round number (like the ones you've quoted) unless there is some truth to it.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Can't wait for the console to come out in small batches and watching the scalpers on Kijiji

bomblord1

Banned
That would be a great price and completely reasonable for what we are getting. It would be an auto instant purchase for me.

Davey Cakes

Placeholders aside, I've always considered the base package to be $250 or $249.99.

After the Wii, that's just smart pricing, especially with the competition offering deals on their consoles and bundles. Anyone predicting Nintendo going for $350 or above is nuts.

I'm also firmly staying in the "one SKU" camp. It'll be one system, one price. Maybe Nintendo (or retailers) will offer a discount on the first game bought with the system, sort of giving a "bundle-like" incentive but that's it. Key for Nintendo is keeping the Switch cheap and easy to understand. One price, limited hardware options, but hopefully abundant software options at launch and in launch window. Just offer a product that people want; don't bank on the idea that added incentives will justify additional SKUs or bundles at higher prices. The Switch should be one reasonably priced thing. Period.

Still think it'll be $299 with a demo disc or voucher to the eshop for a game
$250 would be great though

Black Friday 2017 switch bundle will be lit 😎

That's the highest price they should launch it at, but it's a meaningless placeholder like all the others. Let's just wait for the unveil.

Sealtest

Most of the time when these prices go up on a Canadian website they don't change unless our dollar tanks. Only time I remember them changing the final price of items was when they thought they could charge $59.99 for Nintendo first part 3ds games then eventually dropped the price down.

terrible

Banned
$330 CAD would be more like $230 USD since they typcally charge more than just the straight conversion here in Canada.

robotrock

Banned
Usually place holder prices are more expensive than the actual price...and with this one being so specific...maybe it is the real price?

//ARCANUM

I definitely recognize it's a placeholder, but the number they chose seems oddly specific. Like if it was place holder, why not 299, 399, etc. Why 329?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
$250 would be ideal.

It's interesting even as a placeholder price because there isn't too much room to be safe from their side if people would preorder at this price.

What I'm curious about is Nintendo's history of putting an "experimental" game, bundled with their systems (e.g. Wii Sports, Nintendo Land). Would that be the "standard" Switch SKU? I'd be surprised if the Switch is released completely standalone. So assuming this price is legit, would that end up being the price of the standard bundle?

Top Bottom