• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3: Spoilers thread because people can't read titles good

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The death scene was so, so awful. You know that feeling you get when you know someone is trying to say something meaningful but they're stuttering or otherwise lack the skills necessary to articulate what they're saying? Everything about the way that scene was presented was so tacky. The close-ups of Dom's face? Shiiiiiit.

KingHenrik30 said:
And your talking about war crimes in GEARS OF WAR? have you played this game? Do you think that could possibly be something that would have any relevance? When's this gonna happen, the next DLC is going to be Marcus' trial, and you play Phoenix Wright?

Gears Vs. Ace Attorney!

It's a videogame, not the real world. Who gives a shit really.

For the rest of the game you're shooting/killing armed combatants. At the end of the game, the queen is fucked up, unarmed and you completely outnumber her. Cold bloodedly killing her like that was unnecessary.

Rimfya

Banned
I disliked Jace because the depth of his personality was being a conduit for exposition.

'Why are we doing this?'
'What does that mean?'
'Where do we go now?'

Delivered in monotone.

Tawpgun

MCXC Pioneer said:
Coletrain's racial sterotype used to bother me in the first two games but I've become desensitized by now. Still, shame on you Cliff.
Wait...

are you serious?

Question: Are you black?

Sinthetic

Mungular said:
i damn near cried!

I cried like a new born baby, then I showed it to my girlfriend on the weekend and she cried, which made me cry again. I'm so in touch with my emotions (haha).

Seriously though, just proves where games are at and where they are going.

Kimosabae

Banned
Rez said:
The death scene was so, so awful. You know that feeling you get when you know someone is trying to say something meaningful but they're stuttering or otherwise lack the skills necessary to articulate what they're saying? Everything about the way that scene was presented was so tacky. The close-ups of Dom's face? Shiiiiiit.

I can't believe people admit to being emotional about it, really. Dom's solemness was portrayed infinitely better than it was in Gears 2, but that game set the bar hella low.

The worst part about the death scene was how absolutely forced it was. The guy throws his gun away, sprints through a horde of three different factions (all standing/stumbling about in these scenes as though thoroughly confused), jumps into a working vehicle, escapes the scene with no resistance - and the the most logical conclusion he could surmise was a suicide run?

A well placed shot from his comrades could have easily taken care of the fuel tank? Maybe he could have used that vehicle to grab everyone and dip - since the enemies were so obviously lenient in their sieges against moving vehicles?

Nah, just do it.

Had Dom portrayed suicidal inclination leading up to the moment it would have seemed much less forced.

That whole scene was just really, really bad IMO. The cinematography and all. This isn't me hating, because I think this game is full of really cool scenes (such as Adam and the Queen's deaths).

J Tourettes said:
For the rest of the game you're shooting/killing armed combatants. At the end of the game, the queen is fucked up, unarmed and you completely outnumber her. Cold bloodedly killing her like that was unnecessary.
Yeah you're still missing the point.

LiK

MCXC Pioneer said:
Coletrain's racial sterotype used to bother me in the first two games but I've become desensitized by now. Still, shame on you Cliff.
That's just his character. Jace is black too and he had a different personality.

Bizazedo

J Tourettes said:
A better question would be, regardless if it was unnecessary, did it strike you as realistic / something Marcus would've done?

I'd say it did.

TheOddOne

Is nobody a little disappointed that there was nothing at the end of the credits? You could argue that they did not include it, because they don't want to mess up the "closure" like ending. The Gears fanboy in me wants to know more though :|

I was really glad to see that the real Locust showed by the end of the 1st act. I was starting to think that the exploding lambent somehow replaced them to assist the engine.

Muffdraul

TheOddOne said:
Is nobody a little disappointed that there was nothing at the end of the credits? You could argue that they did not include it, because they don't want to mess up the "closure" like ending. The Gears fanboy in me wants to know more though :|

Yeah, that was my line of thinking too. Waited til the end of the credits, there was nothing, I was bummed, then I realized and accepted that there no need since the whole point of them is to tease the following game. But I still would have liked one.

But I was more disappointed that there was no "Welcome to Gears 3" Cliffy video on XBL on launch day, like they did for 1 and 2.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Seth Balmore said:
The novels explicitly say that Marcus and Anya are an item, the other characters mention it time and again. Don't worry, you don't get to read any of their mushy moments (I'm starting to wonder if there ARE any mushy moments at all).

When they're doing the nasty he's screaming "Take it!!"

Vire

MCXC Pioneer said:
This is a joke right?

FairXchange said:
I was really glad to see that the real Locust showed by the end of the 1st act. I was starting to think that the exploding lambent somehow replaced them to assist the engine.
I literally said "Hey look, fun enemies!" to my co-op buddy on the mic

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Rez said:
Yup. I can't fathom anyone defending Jace as a character. Remove him, remove 4 useless pieces of dialogue, and the net gain on the quality of the game is slightly positive. He adds nothing to the game outside of an essential fourth member of the squad.

bumpkin

LiK said:
That's just his character. Jace is black too and he had a different personality.
And an awful casting choice for his voice... It just doesn't fit. He's better than "Drake", or should I say Aubrey, would have been though.

Kimosabae

Banned
LiK said:

Rez said:

No. Since human beings think with complexity, images have consequences, so we don't judge things in a vacuum. If Coletrain were wearing blackface and said "Yessuh massa Phoenix!" everytime Marcus ordered him to do something, would you simply say "That's just his character?".

Of course not.

Extreme example to illustrate the point aside, Jace, to me, really comes across as a conscious attempt to represent blacks with some degree of sophistication; so I appreciate both characters in this game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kimosabae said:
No. Since human beings think with complexity, images have consequences, so we don't judge things in a vacuum. If Coletrain were wearing blackface and said "Yessuh massa Phoenix!" everytime Marcus ordered him to do something, would you simply say "That's just his character?".

Of course not.

Extreme example to illustrate the point aside, Jace, to me, really comes across as a conscious attempt to represent blacks with some degree of sophistication; so I appreciate both characters in this game.
What exceptional traits does Jace represent that make him more than your uninteresting, backgroundless, average-in-all-aspects man who states the obvious? Where is this sophistication you speak of?

LiK

Kimosabae said:

Of course not.

Cole acts the way he acts. But just because he happens to be the token black guy in the first two games, people think Epic is being racist. and yea, I like Jace too cuz he was normal. He didn't act like everyone else and people say he has zero personality. I just thought of him as the new guy on the team so I didn't expect much from him.

I wish we had more Asians. We had one and he died pretty quickly.

Kimosabae

Banned
LiK said:
Cole acts the way he acts. But just because he happens to be the token black guy in the first two games, people think Epic is being racist. and yea, I like Jace too cuz he was normal. He didn't act like everyone else and people say he has zero personality. I just thought of him as the new guy on the team so I didn't expect much from him.

I wish we had more Asians. We had one and he died pretty quickly.

I definitely don't consider Cole's character racist. Just insensitive.

K' Dash

The fuck is this lambent hate, I tought tey were so much fun to battle and the mutations too, and oh my God @ the gawker explosions, they never get old, locusts were fine, but nothing I haven't already seen in the las 2 games, Lambent are refreshingly welcome.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
KennyLinder said:
Great game, but I don't think I've ever had to fetch so much fucking stuff in a game like Gears before.

A third of Gears 1 you're trying to track down the Resinator. The next third you're trying to find a place to put. It doesn't work. Then Baird's like "Oh, hey. We'll just use this. It just popped up on screen." Just popped up on screen? What does that even mean??? 0.o

LiK

Kimosabae said:
I definitely don't consider Cole's character racist. Just insensitive.

i'm curious how much of Cole's personality came from the voice actor or the writers.

Yes I'm serious, I find Cole to be nothing more than an urban black stereotype. Studded earrings? Being an athlete before E-Day? Using 90's slang in a supposed futuristic game that isn't even on Earth? I guess I'm not helping the problem by buying these games and supporting this shit but honestly it strikes a nerve sometimes.

Rodhull

LiK said:
i'm curious how much of Cole's personality came from the voice actor or the writers.
He seems to be almost the exact same as the Terry Tate character he played in the old Reebok commercials. Gotta imagine that was a big influence on it.

zewone

The story in this game was awful.

So many loose ends and a cheesy story (FAKE HURRICANE MACHINE!)

They killed off one of my favorite characters (Dom) in such an anti-climatic and unnecessary/forced manner.

Why was the Locust queen human?

How did Adam meet Myrah?

Why was he helping her?

What's on the disc?

What the hell were Cole and Baird doing in the last couple of acts?

OH WAIT! I know! We'll find out in the overpriced DLC that was purposely left out of the game to sell to us later?

This is a slap in the face to Gears' fans. I can't wait until BF3 and MW3 come out. So glad I didn't invest in this game.

joat217

Neo Member
zewone said:

They killed off one of my favorite characters (Dom) in such an anti-climatic and unnecessary/forced manner.

How did Adam meet Myrah?

Why was he helping her?

What's on the disc?

OH WAIT! I know! We'll find out in the overpriced DLC that was purposely left out of the game to sell to us later?
This is a slap in the face to Gears' fans. I can't wait until BF3 and MW3 come out. So glad I didn't invest in this game.
So you are complaining about a game you didn't buy?

clav

zewone said:
Those franchises are known for multiplayer, not campaign.

Gears is no exception.

Your argument for not buying Gears 3 is deeply flawed.

Anabuhabkuss said:
Makes you wonder what their gaming experiences , overall, has been like. Have they worked their way to Final Fantasy 10s ending

Are you serious? I mean I'm not saying that scene in Gears was oscar-worthy, but really?

zewone

claviertekky said:
Those franchises are known for multiplayer, not campaign.

Gears is no exception.

Your argument for not buying Gears 3 is deeply flawed.
$45 weapon skins and cut single player portions to sell later as DLC.

I can't support a company that does that.

The multiplayer is also severely lacking in "fun-factor". Maybe I've just had my fill of Gears, but I really loved the first two (minus the net code for the 2nd).

zewone said:

The multiplayer is also severely lacking in "fun-factor". Maybe I've just had my fill of Gears, but I really loved the first two (minus the net code for the 2nd).

No one is holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to buy those skins. There are a ton of skins already unlockable in the game and if someone wants one of those fancier OPTIONAL skins then they can spend a few dollars to get one. I seriously doubt many people will drop $45 for all of them.

Also do you have proof that they finished content and then removed it from the game in order to sell it later? The game felt long enough to me and I really did not get the feeling that I was missing out on something critical. If anything they just left some story hooks in place for levels they would create later for optional DLC. If you want more story/gameplay then awesome it will be available for $10-15 along with more multiplayer maps most likely.

Gears 3 may have an issue or two, but not getting enough bang for your buck is definitely not one of them.

zewone said:

Hardly consider it unnecessary...

He did what he did because the squad was overwhelmed with Locust. He was in a position where he was able to do what he did, Marcus and the rest were not. He saved Marcus and Co. How the hell is that unnecessary? Dom's death had more purpose than any of the Carmine family.

Vilix said:
When they're doing the nasty he's screaming "Take it!!"
Back in your hole! :p

Muffdraul said:
Waited til the end of the credits, there was nothing, I was bummed, then I realized and accepted that there no need since the whole point of them is to tease the following game.
Not necessarily. I was expecting a nod to Dom's death after the credits. Something along the lines of Marcus and the rest of Delta honoring his memory, I don't know... burying his knife somewhere pretty or something. *shrugs*

Lothars

zewone said:

I like how you are complaining about a game that you never bought or probably even played but of course it's lacking in fun-factor.

Kusagari

Cole is basically a modern day athlete ramped up to 11 and put into a shooter. He's clearly based on people like Money Mayweather and Bart Scott. The fact people find that 'racist' or insensitive is hilarious to me. He's exaggerated just like 99% of characters in shooters.

LiK

Yea, the weapon skins are optional crap that doesn't alter the gameplay. They're just like TF2's stupid hats and SSFIV's costume packs. People need to stop harping on Epic for selling them.

ilMikhail

Lothars said:
I like how you are complaining about a game that you never bought or probably even played but of course it's lacking in fun-factor.

this .

He complains even for the single player campaign ( the longest campaign in the series ) , lol but he loves MW and Battlefield

zewone said:

How did Adam meet Myrah?

Why was he helping her?

What's on the disc?

LMFAO!!!!

K' Dash

I felt the game was lacking in the Cole/Baird/Carmine department, I hope we get an EXPANSION to play as them.

Carmine: What About that bacon[/drool] LOL

Cole, easily my favorite character: "C'mon baby, come to papa cole train"

luxarific

Nork unification denier
MCXC Pioneer said:
Yes I'm serious, I find Cole to be nothing more than an urban black stereotype. Studded earrings? Being an athlete before E-Day? Using 90's slang in a supposed futuristic game that isn't even on Earth? I guess I'm not helping the problem by buying these games and supporting this shit but honestly it strikes a nerve sometimes.

For me it was Ice-T voicing Griffin like a thug from the hood. I get that the character started out "working on an Imulsion rig" but it beggars belief to think that he got to the head of a company sounding and acting like that. An oil company (which is basically what his company was in the game) is not a rap label.

Yeah, I know, I know, it's an Ice-T vanity character. Still an awful VO performance (imo). I actually do think Ice-T can act (see his Law and Order performances), which is why I found it so jarring.

Seth Balmore said:
I was expecting a nod to Dom's death after the credits. Something along the lines of Marcus and the rest of Delta honoring his memory, I don't know... burying his knife somewhere pretty or something. *shrugs*

I'm sure it'll be covered in next year's Gears novel. Having finished Gears 3, I think reading the novels are basically a prerequisite to understanding all the new characters in the game. Really wish we could have seen Michaelson (the captain of the aircraft carrier/head of the COG navy) or Trescu - their roles are huge in the books (bigger than Sam's and Jace's for sure).

gaming_noob

zewone said:

*yawn*

joat217

Neo Member
I just realized something, are we going to play the gears graphic novel for the dlc?
Gears_3_Season_Pass_thumb.jpg

Thats Michael Barrick from the first gn, what Gears 3 did was bring in all the expandid universe for this moment in game. I mean we have Jace and he was there too.

clav

zewone said:

Yet, you support the Call of Duty series, so your argument goes out the window.

You didn't even buy the game! How can you judge multiplayer?

You're ridiculous.

zewone

claviertekky said:
Yet, you support the Call of Duty series, so your argument goes out the window.

You didn't even buy the game! How can you judge multiplayer?

You're ridiculous.
Yeah, I forgot rental copies don't include multi,.

If I hadn't mentioned I didn't buy the game, does that change the shitty story?

I'll go buy the game right now after work if that makes the game any more comprehensible.

When did CoD sell me single player segments or gun skins?

You're ridiculous.

clav

zewone said:
Yeah, I forgot rental copies don't include multi,.

If I hadn't mentioned I didn't buy the game, does that change the shitty story?

I'll go buy the game right now after work if that makes the game any more comprehensible.

You're ridiculous.
How does that change the fact that you support other franchises that sell content ways you find unethical?

Top Bottom