• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack Review Thread

skynidas

Banned
IGN 5.9 /10

Playing Knack is like watching a dull movie on a plane – it's tolerable if all you want is a way to pass the time, but it's not something you'd seek out for its own sake. I finished in about 11 hours and, challenges, co-op, and secrets aside, there's just not much here worth recommending. Sure, some individual elements show potential, particularly when the scale of the encounters changes as Knack grows, but it never moves beyond playing it safe with the concepts or the characters.

Game Informer 8.25/10

Though it's a launch game for a next-gen system, Knack is almost nostalgic; it's the kind of game they don't make that often anymore. As such, it's not the most innovative or the most visually dazzling game. This won't be the one you put in to show off your new console to your friends. However, when you're done with the prettied-up versions of the big franchises, you'll find yourself wanting to return to Knack. It's got charm and heart, and offers a whole lot of good gameplay. Ultimately, that's still what's important - no matter which generation we're in.

GameTrailers 5/10

With the way it looks and how simple it is, it’s easy to think Knack is a game for kids. And while that may be the intent, it doesn’t make Knack any less dull. Whether you’re five or 25, Knack is boring throughout its 10-hour duration. If you’re looking for something to introduce you to the PlayStation 4, there are far better options than Knack.

Kotaku: Yes, you should play this game

Knack is not a game to buy a PS4 for, but it's a game to use on the PS4, one that'll dazzle you with crisp visuals and excite you with its detailed main character. Get it as a showpiece for now if you're getting a PS4. Just don't expect to love it in a year.

GameSpot 4/10

Knack's downfall is that it focuses entirely on combat, but doesn't offer enough variety or depth within its system to compel you onward. Any early thoughts you may have that there must be more to the punch-punch-repeat action than meets the eye are banished once you plow through hours of the same basic sequences. And even Knack's few attempts at diversity are merely competent. The occasional platforming scenario lacks the joy of movement so necessary for jumping to be engaging, and the platform placement doesn't require any cleverness to surpass. There's not one element of Knack to rally around, to excite you. And without that special something, Knack crumbles just like its piecemeal protagonist

PS Nation 8/10

Honestly, I didn’t think that I’d like this game based on what I had seen at various times throughout 2013. It wasn’t until I played it at PAX that I started gaining interest, and Knack has proven me wrong. Especially for a launch title, it’s a cool story, great visuals and level design, and a simple but effective control scheme. It’s not a pushover either, with my first time through the campaign clocking-in somewhere around 10 hours. One thing I forgot to mention is that they borrowed something from Nintendo in Knack, a built-in hints system when you fail in a section a few times. A window appears in the lower left to show you a quick hint or even a small video to show you what needs to be done. It surprised me but when I finally saw it, I laughed a bit, because I didn’t think that I was doing that bad.

Joystiq 1.5/5

Knack fails to capitalize on its own ideas and structure, and is successful only in acting as a reminder of the shallow, punishing platformers of a time when we really cared about how many bits there were on your console.

Eurogamer 4/10

Perhaps time was a factor, or perhaps Mark Cerny - the PlayStation 4 visionary who also led development of this game - is a better programmer and system architect than he is a writer and creative director. Whatever the answer, Knack isn't the kind of game you'll want to take home with your PlayStation 4. I'm all in favour of games that transport us back to the good old days of vibrant originality, but Knack simply doesn't.

Destructoid 7/10

A solid game that definitely has an audience. Might lack replay value, could be too short or there are some hard-to-ignore faults, but the experience is fun.

Polygon 6/10

Knack has too little going on over its 12 hour length. The core concepts are strong - it's fun to watch Knack grow bigger and smash things. The incredible imagination promised by the dawn of new hardware is on display in Knack. But the moments of payoff come too infrequently to make plodding through another three dozen frustrating enemies any less tedious.

Rev3 3/5

Lo-Volt

For shame. I didn't expect a gold or platinum game, but these early scores are brutal. Good thing I got this game from Amazon for the price of free.

Playing Knack is like watching a dull movie on a plane – it's tolerable if all you want is a way to pass the time, but it's not something you'd seek out for its own sake. I finished in about 11 hours and, challenges, co-op, and secrets aside, there's just not much here worth recommending. Sure, some individual elements show potential, particularly when the scale of the encounters changes as Knack grows, but it never moves beyond playing it safe with the concepts or the characters.

Damn. It's no next-gen Ratchet & Clank for sure.

Majestad

Banned
I predict a 62 meta score. Game has always looked bad, like a bad Lego game from current gen.

I don't know what the hell were people seeing when they said this reminded them of Crash Bandicoot. Lol

Midas

Wow, IGN's layout is horrendous. That score though, but I know I will enjoy it as I enjoyed the demo I played.

gngf123

Damn that's bad.

When it was first announced I thought it could be great, but everything I've seen since has made it seem pretty average at best.

EDIT: Holy shit at the Joystiq review.

Top Bottom