• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |OT3| "That sounds like the GameTrailers guy!"

abrack08

These nominations are insane! The voting is gonna be contentious.

Hoping Ben brings Chrono Trigger and Blood Earthbound to make it a true blood-bath.

Voting is going to be so tough. Could easily end up with a surprise due to a split vote, or a mega-tie leading to patrons picking some lame Nintendo game

Ocarina was the easy pick, which I'm fine with as there's a very good reason for it being the easy pick. personally would've liked to see Xenoblade, Portal, or Half Life get in but oh well.

Kneefoil

My votes would've been
OoT - 1 point, Portal - 2 points, Xenoblade - 3 points

So many good games were nominated though. One of the winners was obvious, but I had no idea who the other winner would be until the votes were in.

I would say Xenoblade Chronicles, and Ocarina of Time are far from lame.
I wrote that before Ben brought out Xenoblade (which happens to be my favorite game of all time, although I wouldn't say it's the best), so you might be able to see where I was going with it...

While discussing Huber's pick,
The Last of Us,
and Kyle asks
"Can you think of a game with a more impactful introduction?"
ME NEITHER ALLIES

I too, will never understand people that say
"the gameplay sucks,"
and, frankly,
Ian's smugness during the entire segment was definitely annoying for me.

Hall of Greats always my favorite group stream. Bummer they don't happen more often, but oh well.

Anyway, my votes would have been:
3 - The Last of Us
2 - Ocarina of Time
1 - FF 9

ShadyK54

The Last of Us,
and Kyle asks
ME NEITHER ALLIES

"the gameplay sucks,"
and, frankly,

I definitely thought Kyle was setting Huber up for a troll lol.

As for the second, it was bound to happen, given their open & well known dislike for the game.

Auctopus

Looking forward to the point in HoG when the Allies' well-known favourite games are done and dusted and the choices/votes become a bit more interesting rather than deciding that
Zelda:OOT
and
Symphony of the Night
are in fact good games.

Probably why I enjoy Don's segments the most.

Budi

Not like its not true

Just glad the easy picks are getting out of the way.
Huh, Huber said that? Nice, dropping the truth bombs! I like that he sees and admits the bias. Not that I'm saying it's inherently wrong to prefer japanese games for whatever reason it is. Just that western games really deserve just as much praise and recognition. But it's hard for something like original Deus Ex for example to ever crack the HOG when so few of them have probably played it. Wishful thinking that it would even get ever nominated though.

The Last of Us,
and Kyle asks
ME NEITHER ALLIES

"the gameplay sucks,"
and, frankly,

Ian's "that seems about right" when TLOU only got 4 points got me salty.

But TBH, Huber's argument and Q&A segment could've been better. Personally I would've emphasised the survival horror aspects of the game, how on the harder difficulties it's all about resource management and avoiding confrontations when you can. And then during the Q&A segment, Brad did a better job defending the game from Ian's trolling and he wasn't even meant to talk.

But then again, the Hall of Greats is so small right now that unless you're nominating childhood classics, I doubt there was any argument that would've gotten it in.

Anyway, I'm most of the way through Frame Trap and great episode. I loved that Cosmic Star Heroine was brought up because while it may not feature in my top ten this year, it's still a very cool game. And it's not just influenced by Chrono Trigger, by the way, there's some very recognisable Phantasy Star and Suikoden elements in there too. Oh and the Xbox hottake was great too, though I take it Frame Trap was recorded after Microsoft's boring Gamescom show, so there were no reactions to that.

The one little criticism I have for Frame Trap is I feel like the sponsors segment could be spruced up a bit. Instead of just displaying Our Ghosts of War's twitter handle on screen, run a short video of it while you talk about it. Don't say you're putting Adam Barker's art on screen, just do it. Basically, bring it in line with the EZA Podcast.

Oh and on a side note, I finally got my Kingdom Hearts plat today after wrapping up those awful gummi ship missions! The worst part was finding out that if I'd played the PS4 version instead of the PS3 version, I wouldn't have even had to do the gummi missions.

Broank

Good hall of the greats ceremony. Jones messed up not including ep2. Would have said HL2 easily if he hadn't said it didn't need it.

My pics would be:

3 Portal
2 HL2
1 Castlevania: SOTN

Auctopus

Oh and on a side note, I finally got my Kingdom Hearts plat today after wrapping up those awful gummi ship missions! The worst part was finding out that if I'd played the PS4 version instead of the PS3 version, I wouldn't have even had to do the gummi missions.

Congrats, that's no small feat.

Mista Koo

Looking forward to the point in HoG when the Allies' well-known favourite games are done and dusted and the choices/votes become a bit more interesting rather than deciding that
Zelda:OOT
and
Symphony of the Night
are in fact good games.

Probably why I enjoy Don's segments the most.
That's why I skipped all of them. Although I wanted to go view Don's but haven't done so yet.

Although I think part of the appeal to people of the audience is celebrating their favorite things. Isn't EZAnime just basically that?

Rockk

Hall of Greats was good despite some weak nominations. The allies gotta learn they cannot nominate games they like a lot. Gotta nominate games that have stood the test of time and will stand the test of time.

Hall of Greats was good despite some weak nominations. The allies gotta learn they cannot nominate games they like a lot. Gotta nominate games that have stood the test of time and will stand the test of time.
Actually Don and some others nominating games they really like that won't get in is what keeps it interesting at this stage. For me It's more entertaining to listen to the pitch than what gets in. Because with only 2 per session the ones that get in will be obvious for quite a while.

Like Ben's case for each game he presents is always entertaining. Don's custom videos and passion helps expose games people might ignore. Same with Kyle and MML

Rockk

Actually Don and some others nominating games they really like that won't get in is what keeps it interesting at this stage. For me It's more entertaining to listen to the pitch than what gets in. Because with only 2 per session the ones that get in will be obvious for quite a while.

Like Ben's case for each game he presents is always entertaining. Don's custom videos and passion helps expose games people might ignore. Same with Kyle and MML

It's only obvious which ones are locked in because some of the allies nominate games that won't be put in. The first episode came down to Super Metroid vs Symphony of the Night and which one is the better game. I'm more interested in "Both these games are 10/10 but which one is better?" I get it, people want the discussion of "which of these 8/10 can we overlook the flaws of and declare great". But they'll eventually get to that point naturally.

I think if they had nominated something like Mario Galaxy, Link To The Past, Portal, Deus Ex, Resident Evil 4, Mass Effect 2, Fallout New Vegas, Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy 7 and actually had a serious debate about which of those are the two best games would be really interesting.
Deus Ex and Resident Evil 4 obv but w/e
Either way I do think the Hall of Greats format needs some work.

ShaithEatery

Neo Member
I would have voted Doom - 3, HL2 - 2, OOT - 1.

Doom got robbed, the multiplayer is not nearly as bad as people seem to think imo. They made a fantastic campaign, solid multiplayer (even better after the recent free update), and snapmap has some interesting stuff that I wish more creative people were involved with as it definitely still has a lot of potential.

On top of that, I think about all of the games in recent years that just ran like absolute crap; bad frame rates, visual and gameplay bugs/glitches, etc. Doom is one of the best looking, as well as best running games to come out in a very long time, which I believe deserves some merit as games are much harder and complex to make now than they were 1-2 decades before. Doom will be looked upon as an example of making a modern game right for years to come.

That's just my opinion though...feel free to condemn lol

Karu

I would have voted

The Last of Us - 3
Half Life 2 - 2
Doom (2016)

And as a side note, my TLoU speech probably would have consisted only of Multiplayer-talk.

List was pretty level-fielded. People argueing about their "suspect" choices still amuse me, those arguments are on the same level like "Reviews should be 100% objective" in my humble opinion.

Hope Ben carries on with the fight for Xenoblade Chronicles, excellent game.

MrMette

I really enjoyed the Hall Of Greats stream. Imo it's fine the way it is right now.

My votes would have been
OoT - 3 votes
Portal - 2 votes (I love Portal, although Portal 2 is better imo)
TLoU - 1 vote

That said, I haven't played most of the other games and if I would have played FF IX, I would have probably taken it over TLoU for that last vote as this is more my type of game.

I really loved TLoU's characters, world and story, but I am not a big fan of Naughty Dogs shooting gameplay. I Stopped playing Uncharted 1 after 8 to 10 hours because I couldn't stand it any more and didn't play the others. I have bought them in a sale on PS4 as I still want to give the series another chance (probably 4 as I have seen let's plays of the other 3 already), but not sure when that will be. The weird thing is that I do enjoy the last 2 Tomb Raider games (the reboot and the next one), I think it's because of the open world aspect or something. I am not a big fan of rollercoaster gameplay.

Budi

Pretty much. Might as well just auto-add all the universally praised classic games so we get the boring stuff out of the way.
Nah, there's plenty of universally praised games that Easy Allies as a group aren't so familiar with. I definitely want them to engage in a discussion about few of those when and if they are brought up by one of them. Games like already mentioned Deus ex, Civilization, XCOM, Grim Fandango, Planescape Torment, Diablo, Baldur's Gate etc. Rather than just inducting these to Hall of Greats it's more important to give these the time and thought they deserve.

Dysun

The same game should be omitted from being nominated over and over. Castlevania and Street Fighter were givens based on the previous results each time. Not very interesting

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Hall Of Greats needed to be layered by generations (excluding from say 2014 on due to being too recent) to avoid literally years of it being obvious retro nostalgia (great games, but just not interesting results). So each year there'd be a 8-bit +16 Bit HoG Entry, the next a 32 Bit + 64 Bit, then a PS2/Xbox/Dreamcast/Gamecube era, and a PS3/Wii/X360 one. Handhelds mixed into appropriate blocks so as to not be left out, same with PC games of those eras.

uocooper

I would have given all three points to The Last of Us and that's it. Ian is like my gaming nemesis. We're basically polar opposites on just about every game I've heard him express an opinion on.

Bahorel

God I just watched the new Super Mario Odyssey footage of the Luncheon Kingdom and it so damn beautiful. Give me that game!!!! The art style of that kingdom makes it my favorite for sure, like damn just the shrimp and the mussels looked so cool.

Seeing the stream though made me wish I had the self discipline for a media blackout. It's gonna be a long two month wait.

Maiar_m

Ben's Xenoblade monologue was really really good. Reminded me how much I enjoyed that game and how much I've got riding on its sequel.

abrack08

I hear all the people wanting the obvious shoo-ins to all be put in at once but...

That would mean we don't get to hear them talk about Chrono Trigger for 10 minutes some day, and I do not accept that future.

mcw

Huh, Huber said that? Nice, dropping the truth bombs! I like that he sees and admits the bias. Not that I'm saying it's inherently wrong to prefer japanese games for whatever reason it is. Just that western games really deserve just as much praise and recognition. But it's hard for something like original Deus Ex for example to ever crack the HOG when so few of them have probably played it. Wishful thinking that it would even get ever nominated though.

Different strokes, etc. I played Deus Ex on release and I wouldn't put it into the Hall of Greats. If anything I think Huber and Blood are higher on that game than most.

This is an interesting thing to think about, though. When I think to the Western games that I'd want to put into the Hall of Greats, there's a bunch of Blizzard games, there's HL, there's Doom and Quake (both should be in there), and in terms of pure legacy I'd probably go Wizardry even though that game scared the shit out of me as a kid.

Top Bottom