• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

Crackdown is a great game, but I feel it is a bit disingenuous to be offering such old titles as a "perk".

Well, they're still free and would cost money otherwise. I don't really have a problem with it if for example it means that later on we get more of the recent Assassins Creeds, Halos etc…

That being said if they do keep giving out that are due to get sequels it could become a bit, tiresome, overload etc...

Ghazi

Well, they're still free and would cost money otherwise. I don't really have a problem with it if for example it means that later on we get more of the recent Assassins Creeds, Halos etc…

That being said if they do keep giving out that are due to get sequels it could become a bit, tiresome, overload etc...
They felt like the best/most important titles to announce the program were Halo 3 and Assassins Creed 2. I think it's safe to say that we're probably not getting any retail games that've come out after 2010.

Crackdown is a great game, but I feel it is a bit disingenuous to be offering such old titles as a "perk".

In case you haven't noticed, that is going to be a trend going forward with this program. They're giving away very old games, and for a console that is not going to be backwards compatible going forward.

In case you haven't noticed, that is going to be a trend going forward with this program. They're giving away very old games, and for a console that is not going to be backwards compatible going forward. It's a very insincere way of trying to pretend they're offering something like PS+.

Yea whats worse is they are not continuing this program for X1.

I've got a feeling I'm going to own all of the games they're going to give us.

I guess it's nice for people who missed out on those games when they released. Hopefully more people experience how awesome Crackdown is.

xemumanic

In case you haven't noticed, that is going to be a trend going forward with this program. They're giving away very old games, and for a console that is not going to be backwards compatible going forward.

At first, PSN+ had really old games as well. But Sony had the foresight to expand PSN+ to more than just old games. MS needs to do the same, and its kinda early to assume that they won't.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Well, they probably won't be all old games. There would probably also be games with lots of DLC. Maybe Saints Row 3? I could see that happening, since there's been tons of sales for it on PC.

FireVoa

Played the original Crackdown demo quite a few times but never played/bought it when it came out. I think I will very much enjoy downloading this.

Crackdown is one of those games that everyone needs on their hard drive. It's the perfect time waste/short burst game.

Same applies to Dead Rising 2 too I guess, although it might have been better to offer Off The Record as 2 isn't all that great.

xemumanic

Own Crackdown already but will happily take DR2.

Same here about DR2.

But I'm happy about getting Crackdown though, I got rid of mine (something I don't normally do, but needed a few bucks extra on something, so I traded it in). I have a 'failure' in that game I can now do something about. I tried to get that achievement where you climb the tallest building, then jump down into a pool below..........I missed the pool and never tried again. I always wanted to do something about that. It's something that always crosses my mind when I think of the game.

At least now I can redeem myself in my own eyes.

kyo27

What's disingenuous about it? They never said they were going to offer new releases for free. Suddenly a free game is no longer a perk? It wouldn't make sense to allow people to use a 48 hour gold card to grab free new games to keep.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
What's disingenuous about it? They never said they were going to offer new releases for free. Suddenly a free game is no longer a perk? It wouldn't make sense to allow people to use a 48 hour gold card to grab free new games to keep.

You can't get the games with a trial membership anyway.

Naked Lunch

So people are complaining about free games now? Awesome.
I for one have been on live for 8 years and don't have any of the giveaway games so far except for Halo 3 - and im glad that game is going free because it will find new life for online multiplayer.

Defect

I only rented Fable 3 but now I own it. I had Ac2 but now I also have a digital copy. Never had Defense Grid or Dead Rising 2. I played the Crackdown 2 demo so getting the first game is nice.

I still play Halo 3 occasionally so I want it to become free soon so it can get a population boost.

Same applies to Dead Rising 2 too I guess, although it might have been better to offer Off The Record as 2 isn't all that great.

I actually preferred the original to OTR, but I don't have the same Frank West obsession a lot of people seem to.

Still waiting for them to offer a free game that I don't already own. :(

Yea whats worse is they are not continuing this program for X1.

Of course not, because the only reason they did this on the 360 is to make it look like they're kinda offering something like PS+.

At first, PSN+ had really old games as well. But Sony had the foresight to expand PSN+ to more than just old games. MS needs to do the same, and its kinda early to assume that they won't.

You're welcome to be that optimistic, but if you've followed Microsoft for the past 8 years their focus has been on expanding what people are willing to pay money for. These free 360 games are just a tiny gesture they're doing to make the $60 for Gold seem more justified, in light of the amazing things Sony is doing with PS+.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Yay, more games I already own (not complaining)! Everyone needs to get some crackdown in their life. Dead rising 2 is also pretty entertaining once you get into it.

1st and 16th every month.

So presumably on Thursday Crackdown will go free.

... If an obscure Polish website that nobody has ever heard of has somehow obtained this information that no one else in the world has.

Maybe they have, but yeah, don't be holding breath just yet.

NIGHT-

So people are complaining about free games now? Awesome.
I for one have been on live for 8 years and don't have any of the giveaway games so far except for Halo 3 - and im glad that game is going free because it will find new life for online multiplayer.

People will complain about anything. I actually prefer this to Sonys "renting" plan. I just love the idea of stocking/collecting games to play in the future

People will complain about anything. I actually prefer this to Sonys "renting" plan. I just love the idea of stocking/collecting games to play in the future

me too, i actually get to keep these games . i'm often busy and don't like to pay for online/plus at long periods of time.

The way things are looking we will probably get Gears 3 soon also.

Maybe since Games With Gold only last until December, they will have something special in store for Christmas. They might even give away a game that is less than 4 years old.

... If an obscure Polish website that nobody has ever heard of has somehow obtained this information that no one else in the world has.

Maybe they have, but yeah, don't be holding breath just yet.

Well, thats why I said presumably. I mean, it will change on Thursday anyway, but whether its to Crackdown, Dead Rising or anything else I have no idea.
A random Russian website got hold of some accurate PS+ stuff didn't they? It happens.

Robot Pants

Oh shit that's right. I was thinking of June when it was Fable 3. That was June right?
I haven't kept up with this since I downloaded (and will never play) that one.

Well, thats why I said presumably. I mean, it will change on Thursday anyway, but whether its to Crackdown, Dead Rising or anything else I have no idea.
A random Russian website got hold of some accurate PS+ stuff didn't they? It happens.

Oh yeah, it could well be true, but I don't think we should be taking it as gospel just yet!

The fact that MS still haven't announced anything suggests it might actually be something they want swept under the carpet, like when Defense Grid happened.

(Defense Grid is awesome, but it was hardly well-received as the first game of this promo.)

RedAssedApe

Banned
oooh....dead rising 2...never played the any game in the series. would like to see what the fuss is about.

good timing by MS to get people hyped about xbone dr3.

A polish website already knows the free games for August:

Crackdown
and
Dead Rising 2

Already beat and played the shit out of Crackdown back in the day. You're a fool if you've never played the game and picked it up! It's fun as hell, and you're getting the superior CD1. The morphing vehicles are awesome, sad they cut those from CD2 because they didn't have time. :( If they make a CD3, they better bring the morphing vehicles back.

Never played DR2 so I'm excited for that. I was actually thinking of picking it up recently, but I'll just hold off for a month. I loved the first game, so I'm hoping the second is just as good.

Great games for August!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Damn, booth games are IP-blocked for german people, I really hope that we will get also games, that are as good as those...

Top Bottom